Trade for Tony Gonzalez

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Trade for Tony Gonzalez
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:50 am
  • Crazy idea I know, but....

Dude only came back to win a SB and i think its safe to safe it wont be happening in ATL. Their fans think they should trade him. Might as well trade him to a contender in need of a TE, right?

Unlikely to happen, but wouldnt put anything past Pete and John.
    Captain
    NET Bench Warmer

Re: Trade for Tony Gonzalez
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 am
  • I've learned my lesson about saying no way, but I think this is very unlikely to happen unless the compensation is really cheap. Like a 6th rounder cheap. It'd be nice to have a healthy TE, but I think they'll rely on Miller getting healthy and Willson improving.

Also, obligatory I wish we still had McGrath.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 am
  • The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 am
  • I read that the Chiefs' fans are clamoring for the same thing.

If the Falcons trade Gonzales, they're telling their fan base that they are giving up this year.

Unlikely to happen, imo.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:56 am
  • not gonna happen but have to admit it's a great idea.

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:59 am
  • Yes, and we should get JJ WATT, because the Texans lost a couple games. Sarc
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:04 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.

I strongly doubt this would happen either, but I am not quite so sure. I think a lot of this will depend on that Tony Gonzalez wants and what compensation Atlanta can get. Frankly Atlanta is what? 1-4 and NO is 5-0 and I think everyone knows that the wildcard is *not* coming from the NFC South this year (I think one will come from the West and one from the North) That said, Atlanta is on the verge of being out of the playoffs, and Tony has to know this.

All that said, if something like this does happen (a huge if), I would bet on KC rather than Seattle doing the trade.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:05 am
  • Yeah, let's trade for a 90 year old TE.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:Yeah, let's trade for a 90 year old TE.

A definate point, but I've seen some of Atlanta's games. While Atlanta has been a trainwreck (at least so far), Tony has been one of the few genuine bright spots. If Seattle were to do a trade (which I don't necessarily think we should), I would want it to be a one year deal with a fairly low price. I don't think that's realistic.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 am

A 90 year old TE who has more game than any on our roster in a year we're loaded for the Super Bowl.

I know, it's all just a fantasy, but from a hypothetical standpoint, I'd trade a 4th for him, since I think this is probably his last year. A lot for a rent-a-player, I know, but damn...
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 am
  • If ATL does this, I think it's pretty clear that their giving up on the season, and I don't think any NFL franchise that has as much talent as they do would do that. That being said, I would definitely love to have him here but at a very very low cost. He'll probably retire after the season.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.

:13:

Not sure if the OP is serious or not. :177692:

Like you said, you don't go pay a ton of money to your QB and tank the season after you spent a ton of money and draft picks to get a WR, TE, RB, and half a dozen other players.

The Falcons were just 3 plays from being 4-0 heading into MNF, and I bet it would be safe to say that the mentality would have been much different.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:11 am
  • Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fit Gonzalez under our cap. He's making 14 million this year...........and I think we're somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 million under the cap right now.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 am
  • Polaris wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.

I strongly doubt this would happen either, but I am not quite so sure. I think a lot of this will depend on that Tony Gonzalez wants and what compensation Atlanta can get. Frankly Atlanta is what? 1-4 and NO is 5-0 and I think everyone knows that the wildcard is *not* coming from the NFC South this year (I think one will come from the West and one from the North) That said, Atlanta is on the verge of being out of the playoffs, and Tony has to know this.

All that said, if something like this does happen (a huge if), I would bet on KC rather than Seattle doing the trade.

They haven't lost by more than 7 points this year, and three of their losses have come to the NO, MIA and NE. I agree it's not looking pretty for them, but a team with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales isn't just going to bomb the season after five games.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:15 am
  • dontbelikethat wrote:If ATL does this, I think it's pretty clear that their giving up on the season, and I don't think any NFL franchise that has as much talent as they do would do that. That being said, I would definitely love to have him here but at a very very low cost. He'll probably retire after the season.

You are dead right that such a trade would be a very clear sign that Atlanta is giving up on the season, but already (and this is shocking since it's only week 5 going on 6!) Atlanta is pretty much out of playoff contention. They are five games behind NO (because they lost to NO) and with only 11 games left and with their schedule, I don't see any realistic way that they can catch up. If I can see it, then I promise you Tony and his agent can see it too.

Nothing may come of it, but given that Tony didn't retire last year for the sole reason of wanting one last shot at the Lombardi Trophy, a Gonzales trade isn't out of the question IMHO. That said, I'd expect KC to pull the trigger long before we would. For that matter, I can see the Niners in the mix as well.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:They haven't lost by more than 7 points this year, and three of their losses have come to the NO, MIA and NE. I agree it's not looking pretty for them, but a team with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales isn't just going to bomb the season after five games.

All this is true, but Miami isn't as good as we thought a few weeks ago, and NE had the come completely under control. I give ATL kudos for a furious comeback bid against the Patriots (who have issues themselves), but the game wasn't as close as the score.

I agree that it's extremely unlikely that ATL will want to tank the season or intends to, but I also think they are on the verge of being essentially eliminated whether they want to admit it or not.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fit Gonzalez under our cap. He's making 14 million this year...........and I think we're somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 million under the cap right now.

Always need to consider cap implications.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fit Gonzalez under our cap. He's making 14 million this year...........and I think we're somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 million under the cap right now.

I think that's pretty much game-set-match unless Gonzalez agrees to a huge paycut (which I don't quite see somehow....)
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:35 am

Of that, only $5.25 mil goes against the cap because he signed a 2 year $14 mil contract. $3.5 mil salary for this year plus a $1.75 mil signing bonus this year. So if they wanted, and the Falcons were willing (now that Julio is likely out for the year it could make more sense) we could probably make it happen. But, someone would more than likely have to be released.
    pcbball12
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 am
  • John Schneider draft picks are like gold and you don't give those up for a one year player. I got faith in Miller and Willson to get more involved as the O-line gets better so there is no need to look desperate we can win with the guys we got.
    Lynch Mob
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 am

Even if this guy turns 100, he will still dominate. He is a beast and all RW has to do is throw is towards him and let TG take care of the rest.

Although it wont happen, but imagining the middle of the field being used will be awesome. Its been ages i think that we have gotten a pass completion in the middle.
    Seahawkx
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:34 am
  • umm.. Julio Jones is most likely out for the year... perhaps they may consider it as a "throw in the towel" move.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 am

I don't know about being dumb. I get that the Atlanta FO can't publicly give up on the season, but they're at the bottom of the division, looking up at the undefeated Saints. They are already 4 games back in a 5 game season and they lost their one h2h matchup with the Saints already. That's about as insurmountable lead as you can have at this point.

And that Saints team.....if they beat NE easily this week, I'll have my doubts that we can catch them in the NFC for #1 seed.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 am
  • This aint too terribly crazy. A tad premature, but not that crazy. If the Falcons record worsens before the week 8 deadline (I think that's it), the "do right" move would be trading him.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:54 am
  • I'd take him in a heartbeat , willson is still developing and Miller can't stay healthy this season, heck ya, even at age 90 he's still the best in the game, and could play 3,4 more years if he really wanted to.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 am
  • JT the brick & Looney were talking about this last night. But they were wondering if Gonzo would come back for another SB or bust season and pegged Seattle as the best fit. Interesting.
    Hendo66
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:46 am
  • Came in here to post the same thing. Now that Julio is most likely out for the year, it seems this has a better shot of happening. Doing so would be conceding the season at 4-1 and I do not see that happening.

I'd give up a 4th or 5th for him right now though.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:35 pm
  • According to Gonzo, he doesn't want anything to do with a trade out of ATL

Not so fast, says Gonzalez. The tight end told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports Tuesday that he absolutely does not want to be traded.

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL 25m
    Tony Gonzalez wants no part of trade out of Atlanta http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl

Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:17 pm
  • In a heartbeat,

I would give Atlanta,

Sidney Rice, Kellen Davis, and Robert Turbin for Tony Gonzalez.

With Turbin gone I would then re-sign Michael Robinso and the team can either move Coleman or Ware to 2nd RB behind Lynch if Michael isn't ready.

Luke Willson can learn behind two of the best TEs in the nfl and can get some snaps at WR ala stephen williams
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:04 pm
  • drdiags wrote:According to Gonzo, he doesn't want anything to do with a trade out of ATL

Not so fast, says Gonzalez. The tight end told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports Tuesday that he absolutely does not want to be traded.

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL 25m
    Tony Gonzalez wants no part of trade out of Atlanta http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... witter_atl

Makes sense. At this point, he probably just wants to finish out the regular season schedule. DAMN the superbowl! Next stop Canton!
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:19 pm
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:In a heartbeat,

I would give Atlanta,

Sidney Rice, Kellen Davis, and Robert Turbin for Tony Gonzalez.

With Turbin gone I would then re-sign Michael Robinso and the team can either move Coleman or Ware to 2nd RB behind Lynch if Michael isn't ready.

Luke Willson can learn behind two of the best TEs in the nfl and can get some snaps at WR ala stephen williams

We need to keep Rice through 2013, but I'd offer them Turbin and throw Davis in free. Turbin is not looking great behind this patchwork O-line, but he's not getting many reps to find his zone, either. I believe the Turbin we saw last year was a lesser version of the Turbin we have now (he's somewhat proven and experienced now). He should be worth what we gave for him in the draft...no less, IMO. I also think he'd do well with Atlanta.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt Gonzo will leave Atl. He has no assurance any particular team will definitely make the SB. And he can't very well come out and ask to be traded. He would be considered a trader. ; ) Perhaps running the risk of diminishing his legacy, IMO.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:51 pm
  • Actually, forget this trade... lets send the Browns QB Tarvaris Jackson, WR Sidney Rice, RB Robert Turbin, + Oakland's 5th Round Pick for WR Josh Gordon.

Jackson would be a major upgrade over Weeden.

Rice and Turbin would be serviceable, one or both could be stars. Rice would restructure for 2014 and beyond as part of the deal.

Seahawks can then re-sign FB Michael Robinson to replace Turbin's spot, and move Spencer Ware to 2nd/3rd RB when he's healthy.

Seahawks get a killer WR corps with Gordon, Tate, Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse for 2013.

Seahawks can re-sign Tate, and tender RFA Baldwin with the highest designation , then later trade Baldwin for a 3rd Round pick to the Colts.

Gordon, Tate, Harvin plus Kearse would still kick so much ass and be relatively cheaper over trying to keep Rice, Tate, and Baldwin together which they won't.

Its also funny the Browns are trying to pull a Colts for a top pick but their team is refusing to lay down, now they're ahead of the pack in the AFC north, just better roll with the punches and give the fans something to root for its been a long time since the Browns could compete for the Division.
    TURN DOWN FOR WHAT? -The 12th Man
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:43 am
  • JonRud wrote:not gonna happen but have to admit it's a great idea.

:13:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Actually, forget this trade... lets send the Browns QB Tarvaris Jackson, WR Sidney Rice, RB Robert Turbin, + Oakland's 5th Round Pick for WR Josh Gordon.

Rice and Turbin would be serviceable, one or both could be stars. Rice would restructure for 2014 and beyond as part of the deal.

Seahawks can then re-sign FB Michael Robinson to replace Turbin's spot, and move Spencer Ware to 2nd/3rd RB when he's healthy.

Seahawks get a killer WR corps with Gordon, Tate, Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse for 2013.

Seahawks can re-sign Tate, and tender RFA Baldwin with the highest designation , then later trade Baldwin for a 3rd Round pick to the Colts.

Gordon, Tate, Harvin plus Kearse would still kick so much ass and be relatively cheaper over trying to keep Rice, Tate, and Baldwin together which they won't.

Its also funny the Browns are trying to pull a Colts for a top pick but their team is refusing to lay down, now they're ahead of the pack in the AFC north, just better roll with the punches and give the fans something to root for its been a long time since the Browns could compete for the Division.

If you wanna make a trade with the Browns, go after Joe Thomas instead. We need o-linemen worse that WRs.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 am
  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Actually, forget this trade... lets send the Browns QB Tarvaris Jackson, WR Sidney Rice, RB Robert Turbin, + Oakland's 5th Round Pick for WR Josh Gordon.

This isn't the NBA, what in NFL history makes you think that is even remotely possible?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information