Trade for Tony Gonzalez

Captain

Reaction score
Crazy idea I know, but....

Dude only came back to win a SB and i think its safe to safe it wont be happening in ATL. Their fans think they should trade him. Might as well trade him to a contender in need of a TE, right?

Unlikely to happen, but wouldnt put anything past Pete and John.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I've learned my lesson about saying no way, but I think this is very unlikely to happen unless the compensation is really cheap. Like a 6th rounder cheap. It'd be nice to have a healthy TE, but I think they'll rely on Miller getting healthy and Willson improving.

Also, obligatory I wish we still had McGrath.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I read that the Chiefs' fans are clamoring for the same thing.

If the Falcons trade Gonzales, they're telling their fan base that they are giving up this year.

Unlikely to happen, imo.

JonRud

Reaction score
not gonna happen but have to admit it's a great idea.

Polaris

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rcbfco9 said:
The Falcons have a franchise QB. They aren't about to enter tank-mode. Those fans are being dumb.

I strongly doubt this would happen either, but I am not quite so sure. I think a lot of this will depend on that Tony Gonzalez wants and what compensation Atlanta can get. Frankly Atlanta is what? 1-4 and NO is 5-0 and I think everyone knows that the wildcard is *not* coming from the NFC South this year (I think one will come from the West and one from the North) That said, Atlanta is on the verge of being out of the playoffs, and Tony has to know this.

All that said, if something like this does happen (a huge if), I would bet on KC rather than Seattle doing the trade.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, let's trade for a 90 year old TE.

Polaris

Reaction score
SonicHawk":rz1wqmee said:

A definate point, but I've seen some of Atlanta's games. While Atlanta has been a trainwreck (at least so far), Tony has been one of the few genuine bright spots. If Seattle were to do a trade (which I don't necessarily think we should), I would want it to be a one year deal with a fairly low price. I don't think that's realistic.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1i0balrb said:
A 90 year old TE who has more game than any on our roster in a year we're loaded for the Super Bowl.

I know, it's all just a fantasy, but from a hypothetical standpoint, I'd trade a 4th for him, since I think this is probably his last year. A lot for a rent-a-player, I know, but damn...

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If ATL does this, I think it's pretty clear that their giving up on the season, and I don't think any NFL franchise that has as much talent as they do would do that. That being said, I would definitely love to have him here but at a very very low cost. He'll probably retire after the season.

C-Dub

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1rb8k1r5 said:
:13:

Not sure if the OP is serious or not. :177692:

Like you said, you don't go pay a ton of money to your QB and tank the season after you spent a ton of money and draft picks to get a WR, TE, RB, and half a dozen other players.

The Falcons were just 3 plays from being 4-0 heading into MNF, and I bet it would be safe to say that the mentality would have been much different.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fit Gonzalez under our cap. He's making 14 million this year...........and I think we're somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 million under the cap right now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Polaris":16rfrsva said:
DavidSeven":16rfrsva said:

I strongly doubt this would happen either, but I am not quite so sure. I think a lot of this will depend on that Tony Gonzalez wants and what compensation Atlanta can get. Frankly Atlanta is what? 1-4 and NO is 5-0 and I think everyone knows that the wildcard is *not* coming from the NFC South this year (I think one will come from the West and one from the North) That said, Atlanta is on the verge of being out of the playoffs, and Tony has to know this.

All that said, if something like this does happen (a huge if), I would bet on KC rather than Seattle doing the trade.

They haven't lost by more than 7 points this year, and three of their losses have come to the NO, MIA and NE. I agree it's not looking pretty for them, but a team with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales isn't just going to bomb the season after five games.

Polaris

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":ua6mzrou said:
If ATL does this, I think it's pretty clear that their giving up on the season, and I don't think any NFL franchise that has as much talent as they do would do that. That being said, I would definitely love to have him here but at a very very low cost. He'll probably retire after the season.

You are dead right that such a trade would be a very clear sign that Atlanta is giving up on the season, but already (and this is shocking since it's only week 5 going on 6!) Atlanta is pretty much out of playoff contention. They are five games behind NO (because they lost to NO) and with only 11 games left and with their schedule, I don't see any realistic way that they can catch up. If I can see it, then I promise you Tony and his agent can see it too.

Nothing may come of it, but given that Tony didn't retire last year for the sole reason of wanting one last shot at the Lombardi Trophy, a Gonzales trade isn't out of the question IMHO. That said, I'd expect KC to pull the trigger long before we would. For that matter, I can see the Niners in the mix as well.

Polaris

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1t14iysr said:
They haven't lost by more than 7 points this year, and three of their losses have come to the NO, MIA and NE. I agree it's not looking pretty for them, but a team with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales isn't just going to bomb the season after five games.

All this is true, but Miami isn't as good as we thought a few weeks ago, and NE had the come completely under control. I give ATL kudos for a furious comeback bid against the Patriots (who have issues themselves), but the game wasn't as close as the score.

I agree that it's extremely unlikely that ATL will want to tank the season or intends to, but I also think they are on the verge of being essentially eliminated whether they want to admit it or not.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27c8dets said:
Even if we wanted to, we couldn't fit Gonzalez under our cap. He's making 14 million this year...........and I think we're somewhere in the neighborhood of less than 2 million under the cap right now.

Always need to consider cap implications.

Polaris

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tp1sw7r said:

I think that's pretty much game-set-match unless Gonzalez agrees to a huge paycut (which I don't quite see somehow....)

pcbball12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16p4fp48 said:
Of that, only $5.25 mil goes against the cap because he signed a 2 year $14 mil contract. $3.5 mil salary for this year plus a $1.75 mil signing bonus this year. So if they wanted, and the Falcons were willing (now that Julio is likely out for the year it could make more sense) we could probably make it happen. But, someone would more than likely have to be released.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
John Schneider draft picks are like gold and you don't give those up for a one year player. I got faith in Miller and Willson to get more involved as the O-line gets better so there is no need to look desperate we can win with the guys we got.

Latest posts