Would the Seahawks trade for Tony Gonzalez?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • I am sorry I don't know if this post should be here, but I wanted to get your feedback on whether the Seahawks would trade for Tony Gonzalez?

Seahawks need a good solid TE target for Russell Wilson with Zack Miller Hurt as much as he has been and the inexperience of Luke Wilson. I was listening to John Clayton today on ESPN radio Seattle and they were talking about how they may trade him to a contender if he wants for a low draft choice if he wants, so he can have a chance at a Super Bowl.

I know John mentioned KC Chiefs and Tony spent most of his career there but with Denver in that division and the other AFC teams with great records it is a possibility that KC cools off and misses the playoffs.

I personally would LOVE to see that weapon in this offense with Percy Harvin coming back and if Zack Miller staying Healthy I see our offense being unstoppable and our Defense being rock solid this would be in my opinion the toughest team to beat in the League and the best chance for a Super Bowl for Tony G.

Thoughts, comments, insights?

By the way thank you welcoming me to the site guys and gals I been following for years and been a Seahawk fan since 76! GO HAWKS!!!
    BAJAHAWK
    NET Bench Warmer

• No...it would cost too much and you would get him for 1-2 years tops
    thebanjodude
    NET Starter

• no
    Meeker
    NET Starter

• OP...Have you considered how much we paid for Percy Harvin? We've yet to see one play from him ....period.
    Even though Atlanta is 1-4, they haven't given up on this season....yet. They would want too much for Tony, besides. Hummmm...I wonder if they would trade straight a crossed for a LT?
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Not in a million years. Gonzalez is good but he already retired/unretired once.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• What about a 1 year contract for the change to win a Super Bowl? That is more motivation than a BIG contact plus John Clayton said that Atlanta would pay almost his full contract and would only play the 1 year. How would that hurt us? I see 100% win win.
    BAJAHAWK
    NET Bench Warmer

• Tony G is going nowhere!

His plan all along was to retire after this season no matter what and I have no reason to doubt him in any way, shape or form.

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

• They were talking about this on the Brock and Danny radio show on 710 ESPN Seattle. They mentioned that it would take a 3rd rounder to acquire Tony G. The Seahawks don't have a 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft as it was part of the trade to Minny for Harvin. Once Harvin comes back this receiving stuff will come to a rest. Tony is a receiving TE and right now they don't need that. They need someone who can block. Willson has done fine on the receiving side when given the chances. I was looking at the TE FA list and one name stood out - Will Heller. Heller is not a receiving threat but a solid blocker. He is on the older side but may be a good short term fix.

Will Heller's profile - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/334/
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• we need Atlanta to keep him and make a run in their division to put the heat on the Saints.
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Rookie

• Tony G is way more than a receiving TE. He's an all around great TE, and he would improve our offense immensely. And if the Falcons are willing to pay most of his contract, I'd offer them a 4th round pick and see if they take it. Not sure they'll get a 3rd from anyone for a one year rental.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• Hawk_Nation wrote:we need Atlanta to keep him and make a run in their division to put the heat on the Saints.

What?? He would help us beat the Falcons and the Saints, which is way more important than the Falcons beating the Saints. And he would help us beat the rest of the teams on the schedule, not just the Saints.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

• I would trade the entire 2014 draft if we could add the talent that would put us over the Super Bowl hump

Gonzalez would be a great start.
    * NET Staff *

• Maybe I am just dreaming but I can see Tony 88 in the Seahawks blue and green! Well if we can't have him in the real world I could make it happen in the Madden World! Russells new toy!
    BAJAHAWK
    NET Bench Warmer

• Tony G already said doesn't want to go anywhere.

The tight end told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports Tuesday that he absolutely does not want to be traded.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, via a high-ranking Falcons source, that Atlanta has no interest in trading Gonzalez despite the Jones injury. The Falcons are not yet ready to give up on the season, Rapoport added

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... om-falcons
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• That solves that. Next
    BAJAHAWK
    NET Bench Warmer

• Tony made his bed, he'll have to lie in it. As badly as he wants and deserves one, a SB will not be obtainable for Gonzo in this lifetime. If a trade happened, fans would turn on Blank for giving up on the season and/or would say Gonzo secretly asked for the trade. It would be a PR nitemare either way. Not every player wins a SB. Money usually dulls that pain.
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• This would be a No
    SB 48 CHAMP HYPE BEAST
    beasthawk
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:They were talking about this on the Brock and Danny radio show on 710 ESPN Seattle. They mentioned that it would take a 3rd rounder to acquire Tony G. The Seahawks don't have a 3rd round pick in the 2014 draft as it was part of the trade to Minny for Harvin. Once Harvin comes back this receiving stuff will come to a rest. Tony is a receiving TE and right now they don't need that. They need someone who can block. Willson has done fine on the receiving side when given the chances. I was looking at the TE FA list and one name stood out - Will Heller. Heller is not a receiving threat but a solid blocker. He is on the older side but may be a good short term fix.

Will Heller's profile - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/334/

Heller is not a blocking upgrade over Kellen Davis.
    #11 is the Gatling Gun, coming at Ds in multiple, unpredictable ways spreading the field horizontally.

#10 is the Sniper Rifle, if you don't respect his deep field speed opposing DBs will end up in a pink mist.

#24 is the Boomstick, get in his way when you're the lone defender, I dare you.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• There's nothing wrong with Davis. He served his one-game "penalty" for penalties and we'll all shut up about him. Dude's a pro, the Hawks are fine there.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• PC may have put up with Matt Hasselbeck, Lawyer Milloy, and Antoine Winfield for a while, but Gonzalez makes even those ancients look springy.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:PC may have put up with Matt Hasselbeck, Lawyer Milloy, and Antoine Winfield for a while, but Gonzalez makes even those ancients look springy.

Tony is still an elite player, whereas those guys were clearly not.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• Erebus wrote:Tony G is way more than a receiving TE. He's an all around great TE, and he would improve our offense immensely. And if the Falcons are willing to pay most of his contract, I'd offer them a 4th round pick and see if they take it. Not sure they'll get a 3rd from anyone for a one year rental.

Yep.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• Not one crazy suggestion to trade Rice for Gonzalez?

I am disappointed.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:Tony made his bed, he'll have to lie in it. As badly as he wants and deserves one, a SB will not be obtainable for Gonzo in this lifetime. If a trade happened, fans would turn on Blank for giving up on the season and/or would say Gonzo secretly asked for the trade. It would be a PR nitemare either way. Not every player wins a SB. Money usually dulls that pain.

What if they are 1-6 at the deadline? Draft picks for a guy not on the roster next year sounds pretty good then.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• Might as well get an o-lineman, because the way ours is thinned and playing, G would be just another blocker.

Pass.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Might as well get an o-lineman, because the way ours is thinned and playing, G would be just another blocker.

Pass.
    I bet he could cut block like a boss!
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Might as well get an o-lineman, because the way ours is thinned and playing, G would be just another blocker.

Pass.

This is pretty much the case. Conventional WRs and receiving TEs are wasted on the Seahawks until the line improves.

Rice on a decent pocket passing team would probably be having a good year, and the same for Zach Miller.

I actually feel sort of bad for Miller, being demoted to O-line, after leading the Raiders in receptions. Then again, at least he's not stuck on the Raiders.

That said, Harvin and Tate seem to be the perfect sort of receiver for this team-- so no gloom and doom here.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Only a fool would say "no" before hearing the price.

That said, for the trade to even be possible, Gonzalez would have to either take a massive pay cut or some other Seahawk (Rice, Miller, etc) would have to fall on the sword instead. Maybe Gonzalez sees his team 4 games back in the division and feels it's worth it, but that's not a certainty.

It would also have to be a fairly low draft pick. I'd say 5th round, tops. Gonzalez is on a 2 year contract, but it's understood that Gonzalez is very unlikely to play that second year.

That said, if we got him for a 6th and he took a paycut to get down around $2 million or so, who wouldn't be excited about adding Gonzalez? If there's a deal in place that makes sense, I see no reason to scuttle it. Gonzalez can still play. He's not over the hill. He's a possession ace and if you forgot our QB would not stop gushing about Gonzalez earlier this year.

The Falcons are 1-4. Does that make them "sellers?" Honestly, I don't think so, not yet. But if they are 2-5 when the deadline comes, maybe they give it some serious consideration. A draft pick and maybe $3 million in saved salary for next season for a guy that probably can't help a 2-5 team very much. If they reach that stage, Gonzalez could be a bargain buy for somebody.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information