Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:14 pm
  • If we didn't have Wilson, I'd take Luck in a heartbeat, no doubt. Who wouldn't? He'll be great for years to come. That said, I'll keep Wilson, you keep Luck. It's apples and oranges in my mind. I like what we have in Wilson for our offense.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    User avatar
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1341
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm
  • KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3148
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Reggie Wayne has said luck is one of the most intense players he's ever played with and like you know he's played with peyton manning lol says he is never happy with his game even in games where he does amazing always striving to be better which im sure Wilson does as well but to say luck doesn't have the drive to be better is nonsense sorry
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 pm
  • coltsfan1405 wrote:Reggie Wayne has said luck is one of the most intense players he's ever played with and like you know he's played with peyton manning lol says he is never happy with his game even in games where he does amazing always striving to be better which im sure Wilson does as well but to say luck doesn't have the drive to be better is nonsense sorry



    Don't think anyone is saying he doesn't have the drive to be better. Just things my be a bit relative when compared to someone who always had to compete regardless of how well they performed (always doubted).
    lobohawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:58 pm
  • They are both fantastic players that I am pretty sure any team would be GLAD to have on their team lets leave it at that.
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    So be it. I full on admitted it goes beyond QB play for me. I like the guy as a person and a good sam. It just so happens, I think he will get his Super Bowls more frequently, and before Luck. I am no GM and to be honest with you; Wilson is a player I would love regardless of the team he was on. Unlike a Richard Sherman, whom I would absolutely hate if he was on any other team. Keep your every 25 year player and I'll roll the dice that we have a once in a lifetime player. Maybe not, but the jury is still out.
    Image
    User avatar
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2911
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am
    Location: Omaha, NE


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 pm
  • coltsfan1405 wrote:Reggie Wayne has said luck is one of the most intense players he's ever played with and like you know he's played with peyton manning lol says he is never happy with his game even in games where he does amazing always striving to be better which im sure Wilson does as well but to say luck doesn't have the drive to be better is nonsense sorry


    I love how you say "sorry" after everything that is said. You are taking things too literally here. No one imagines that Luck doesn't do everything he can to improve. The truth is, you really don't even need to defend him. Nearly everyone on the planet is gushing over him. I think he's good, but don't feel others should be offended that not EVERYONE would bend over their own grandma to have him on their team. I might be in the minority, but that's the way it is. I'm okay with it.
    Image
    User avatar
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2911
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am
    Location: Omaha, NE


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:31 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........


    And candidly, our GM would take Luck in a heartbeat. That won't be a popular statement but it's the truth.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*
     
    Posts: 646
    Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:40 pm
  • ^^^ thank you for being rational
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm
  • coltsfan1405 wrote:^^^ thank you for being rational

    TJH rational?, really? BWAHAHAHAHAHA
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3569
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm
  • Dude, you're ridiculous. I never said for a moment that ours wouldn't. Why does that mean that I have to? I'm not a GM--I like our guy better. End of story. Seriously, you're just trollnig at this point, and congrats. you got me. Twist it up my good man.
    Image
    User avatar
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2911
    Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 am
    Location: Omaha, NE


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:09 pm
  • If you read my one post it says of course you like your qb more than luck its natural but to say you wouldn't take luck is just not reasonable sorry
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:14 pm
  • If Colts fans want to be honest, they would rather have Peyton Manning over Luck.
    I want to win NOW, have fun watching your former QB in the Superbowl.
    User avatar
    Cfuji
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 20
    Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:41 am
    Location: San Diego


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:22 pm
  • I'll be one of the first Niner fans to admit if we had Luck as QB last year, we probably win the super bowl for sure.

    But the one thing that needs to be tempered in this whole debate about QBs is that Luck was #1 overall who was only going to go to a s*** team, whereas Wilson could have been drafted by anybody.

    As long as Wilson (and Kaepernick/Griffin too) progress to where they need to, none of this really matters. You need a certain minimum of QB talent to win championships in this league, and then you try and finesse the rest of your roster.

    The so-called best of the best QBs with the exception of Brady are all one time champs (Brees, Rodgers, Peyton). The two timers of Eli & Ben have had great defenses and running games. And with regards to Brady, he hasn't won a super bowl since becoming truly an elite QB because his team is lacking the star defensive power.

    All of these QBs will eventually be hands down superior to Flacco if they aren't already. That's all that matters.
    NINEster
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:22 pm
  • The only real advantage I see Luck having over Wilson is he's taller. After that I don't really see him being better in any one area.

    The country will always naturally take Luck over Wilson because of the height issue. It's that simple. When you put that to the side though you realize they're basically the same player, with neither having a clear advantage over the other in any area.

    And after watching Wilson dominate on the road in the playoffs last year I'll ride with Wilson all day long over Luck and not question it one bit. He's that damn good.
    cesame
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1626
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm
  • All else being equal, we'd love to still have Manning right now. He comes back to Indy in 2 weeks. Tune in and see how much love we show him. The guy put INDY Colts football on the map. He will never be forgotten and practically everyone in Indy has adopted Denver as their #2 team. If we can't win it, and I don't think our roster is quite built to that level yet, then we'll enjoy watching Denver win the Lombardi.

    That said, if we had Manning right now we'd still be in salary cap hell and wouldn't have been able to rebuild the rest of the team that was falling apart around him. Also, I think we'll be happy to have Luck for, hopefully, about 8-10 years after Manning retires. It was a tough decision that had to be made but I don't think you'll find anyone in Indy that thinks it was the wrong one.
    LotsOfLuck
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 47
    Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm
  • Cfuji wrote:If Colts fans want to be honest, they would rather have Peyton Manning over Luck.
    I want to win NOW, have fun watching your former QB in the Superbowl.


    Don't know about that.

    Look, dude has maybe two years left. He has to get it done at least once for this to have merit.

    We've all seen the January Peyton, and it hasn't been pretty. It's perhaps convenient to say this is the best team he's ever had, but I can recall some pretty sick Colts' teams that got knocked out easily.
    NINEster
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm
  • I am absolutely happy with luck and us dropping peyton. It was what our team needed and just at the right time. If it were any other year we would have been screwed and I thank peyton for that :)
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 pm
  • LotsOfLuck wrote:All else being equal, we'd love to still have Manning right now. He comes back to Indy in 2 weeks. Tune in and see how much love we show him. The guy put INDY Colts football on the map. He will never be forgotten and practically everyone in Indy has adopted Denver as their #2 team. If we can't win it, and I don't think our roster is quite built to that level yet, then we'll enjoy watching Denver win the Lombardi.

    That said, if we had Manning right now we'd still be in salary cap hell and wouldn't have been able to rebuild the rest of the team that was falling apart around him. Also, I think we'll be happy to have Luck for, hopefully, about 8-10 years after Manning retires. It was a tough decision that had to be made but I don't think you'll find anyone in Indy that thinks it was the wrong one.


    You know, I try not to be a hater and all but man what an incredible stroke of luck your team had to only have one season without a real QB since 1998!

    Think about it, Peyton's neck injury couldn't have come at a better time. Without it, there's no Luck in Indy. The chances of picking up a Wilson or Kaepernick as a long term replacement are there but no guarantee.

    Totally unprecedented in NFL history. And if you want to mention Joe Montana/Steve Young, well yes...that was a seamless transition in terms of putting a player in the position, but Steve was already on the roster via trade and a QB controversy created problems for the team forcing them to miss the playoffs in '91 and trading Charles Haley to the Cowboys after the season because of his distaste of Montana being traded to KC.

    You also have the Favre/Rodgers transition. That one was pretty divided. Ultimately worked out for the Packers, but could have very easily not have.

    In Indy, absolutely no friction. Just one terrible season....something any team in the NFL could stomach if it meant a true franchise QB.

    Such a lucky franchise.
    NINEster
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 226
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm
  • Lol exactly what I just said couldn't have come at a better time
    coltsfan1405
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 75
    Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:50 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:09 pm
  • LotsOfLuck wrote:This continues to be the only place where I even see people discussing this.



    How many boards discuss 2 qbs not on their team?
    Image
    User avatar
    KitsapHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 844
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:04 pm
    Location: Behind you


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm
  • TJH wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........


    And candidly, our GM would take Luck in a heartbeat. That won't be a popular statement but it's the truth.


    We get it, man. You hate Russell Wilson. You've seriously dogged him in basically every thread that's come up in the last two days. Hard to take you seriously.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3743
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    Luck is better if you ignore every statistical category other than total yards; including stats like total wins, completion percentage, TDs, QBR, YPA, rushing yards, ect. Sgt. Largent, you have bought into the hype.

    You can make the case that Luck is more accurate, but completion percentage blows that up.

    Look, I'm not saying both will not be elite. I predict both will be Hall of Famers one day. I'm just saying RW deserves the same amount of props for being great as Luck does and several posters on this board need to recognize it. He doesn't deserve to be thought of as only the third best or fourth best Sophomore QB. He's been more successful that Luck and just as clutch.
    User avatar
    aawolf
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 444
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 pm
  • My thoughts: Russell Wilson is Pete Carroll's dream QB.

    He's a guy who can play behind a run-oriented line because of his ability to scramble, and he doesn't have to throw the ball away when pressured. He can also complete "explosive" passes and protects the ball with his life. Pete Carroll's entire philosophy is built around three things: 1) protect the football; 2) establish the run; and 3) hit on explosive passes. Russell's unique skill set plays into all three of these things.

    Do you guys think it's a coincidence that PC just signed a Russell Wilson clone to be his back-up? An elusive, cannon-armed, ball-protecting QB is the guy Carroll has looked for his entire coaching career, even if he didn't realize it until Russell came along.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3743
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:My thoughts: Russell Wilson is Pete Carroll's dream QB.

    He's a guy who can play behind a run-oriented line because of his ability to scramble, and he doesn't have to throw the ball away when pressured. He can also complete "explosive" passes and protects the ball with his life. Pete Carroll's entire philosophy is built around three things: 1) protect the football; 2) establish the run; and 3) hit on explosive passes. Russell's unique skill set plays into all three of these things.

    Do you guys think it's a coincidence that PC just signed a Russell Wilson clone to be his back-up? This is the guy he's looked for his entire coaching career.


    This...
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7038
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:32 pm
  • aawolf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    Luck is better if you ignore every statistical category other than total yards; including stats like total wins, completion percentage, TDs, QBR, YPA, rushing yards, ect. Sgt. Largent, you have bought into the hype.

    You can make the case that Luck is more accurate, but completion percentage blows that up.

    Look, I'm not saying both will not be elite. I predict both will be Hall of Famers one day. I'm just saying RW deserves the same amount of props for being great as Luck does and several posters on this board need to recognize it. He doesn't deserve to be thought of as only the third best or fourth best Sophomore QB. He's been more successful that Luck and just as clutch.


    Actually luck has a better QBR then Wilson. Luck also has more passing yards with less INTs. I wouldn't use rushing yards as a statistic for who is a better QB.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr
    paramedic586
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 94
    Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm
  • Not even going to bother reading the thread, but I'll just say they're both really good QB's. They both have bright futures. And both franchises should be happy to have them.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18558
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:49 pm
  • paramedic586 wrote:
    aawolf wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    Luck is better if you ignore every statistical category other than total yards; including stats like total wins, completion percentage, TDs, QBR, YPA, rushing yards, ect. Sgt. Largent, you have bought into the hype.

    You can make the case that Luck is more accurate, but completion percentage blows that up.

    Look, I'm not saying both will not be elite. I predict both will be Hall of Famers one day. I'm just saying RW deserves the same amount of props for being great as Luck does and several posters on this board need to recognize it. He doesn't deserve to be thought of as only the third best or fourth best Sophomore QB. He's been more successful that Luck and just as clutch.


    Actually luck has a better QBR then Wilson. Luck also has more passing yards with less INTs. I wouldn't use rushing yards as a statistic for who is a better QB.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr


    I was factoring in QBR from last year too. Wilson is better
    User avatar
    aawolf
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 444
    Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:50 pm
  • TJH wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........


    And candidly, our GM would take Luck in a heartbeat. That won't be a popular statement but it's the truth.
    g

    I'm starting to wonder if you are Matt Flynn.

    Or if perhaps Wilson stole your lady.

    Every single one of your posts is bashing the guy. You have gone past helpful criticism and have now entered bashing territory.
    Hawkpower
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 308
    Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:54 pm
  • KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.

    I'm the exact same way. If you offered me a straight across trade, Wilson for Luck, I would say no 10/10 times. You could show me indisputable evidence that Luck is and will always be a better quarterback than Wilson, and I wouldn't really care. Good for the Colts for drafting Luck, but I'm perfectly happy with Wilson.
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1587
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:55 pm
  • I think RW is the perfect Seattle QB. It goes beyond football IMO
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7038
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    How so? His stats to this point are less than what Wilson has done and youre talking about him like he's the next Joe Montana. Maybe he has the potential to do something like that but until he proves it and gets his first playoff win, all those accolades you and the rest of the media want to give him are fictitious.

    I think Luck is great I just don't really think he's beyond Russell Wilson or even on another level yet, theres still lots to improve on in his game.

    But I'll be the first to credit him when/if he does finally make it, I've just always believe the proof is in the pudding.
    Image

    Pick the score, Seahawks edition - 1st Season
    http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96154

    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2280
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Augusta, GA (Road Hawk)


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm
  • aawolf. So based on your grading of qbs then you should think that Collin kaepernick is a better qb then russell Wilson. He has a higher qbr this year and last year. So do think CK is better then RW?
    paramedic586
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 94
    Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:21 am
  • aawolf wrote:I thought I'd make a separate thread on this considering it has been a topic of conversation throughout the week. I know you all were watching how they performed in this game, as I was. With all of the hype Luck has been given throughout the draft and throughout his career, and all the ball-licking commentary praising Luck that was going on throughout the broadcast, it is clear that Luck is more highly regarded across the country than Russell Wilson. But, by any statistical measure, including total wins, completion percentage, TDs, total TDs, and QBR, Russell Wilson is clearly the superior QB.

    However, Luck got the one statistic that truly mattered yesterday, when he and the Colts beat the Wilson-led Seahawks. While Luck played great, I sense from a lot of .netters that they are buying into the hype that Luck is a superior QB. If you just focus on the fact that Luck won, he played better. However, having saw the game, it was clear to me that Wilson actually played better on the field, and if not for a few costly penalties and a drop by a wide-open Lynch, we would have won. Lets look at the stats:


    RW: Passing: 15-31, 210 yds; Rushing: 13 carries, 102 yds; Total yds: 312
    Luck: Passing: 16-29, 229 yds; Rushing: 4 carries, 9 yds; Total yds: 236

    RUSSELL WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MORE TOTAL YARDS THAN ANDREW LUCK!!

    Total net yards from both teams:
    Seahawks: 423
    Colts: 317

    Russell Wilson was responsible for 5 LESS YARDS THAN THE ENTIRE COLTS OFFENSE!



    How did Wilson get so fast all of a sudden?
    Always Fierce
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 76
    Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:54 am
  • Wilson is very good but his best asset is being ale to run when he gets in a jam. Look how many times he ran against the Colts.

    Wilson also has one of the best Ds, if not the best, in the league and a running game.

    Luck is a better QB. Obviously it bothers the OP since he started a thread about it.

    I keep seeing people talk about "accuracy"....you guys know Wilson is only completing 58% of his passes this year.....right? Which is less than the "inaccurate" Luck.

    Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.

    Luck is already better than Wislon and is only going to get better as he ages, Wilson is going to slow down and he won't be able to rely on running as an escape every time he gets in trouble. It will affect his game.
    Bartmuley
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 am
  • Bartmuley wrote:Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.


    Hahahaha, you don't know anything. Go watch the Bears game. Or the Atlanta game. Or the December 49ers game.

    Game manager. Brilliant.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15160
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:36 am
  • Bartmuley wrote:Wilson is very good but his best asset is being ale to run when he gets in a jam. Look how many times he ran against the Colts.

    Wilson also has one of the best Ds, if not the best, in the league and a running game.

    Luck is a better QB. Obviously it bothers the OP since he started a thread about it.

    I keep seeing people talk about "accuracy"....you guys know Wilson is only completing 58% of his passes this year.....right? Which is less than the "inaccurate" Luck.

    Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.

    Luck is already better than Wislon and is only going to get better as he ages, Wilson is going to slow down and he won't be able to rely on running as an escape every time he gets in trouble. It will affect his game.


    Man, what an ignorant troll post. If you want to say Luck is a better QB, that's fine. He's a great QB. So is Wilson. Like I said earlier, it's apples and oranges. 2 QB's, and 2 different teams with 2 different offenses. It doesn't matter who is better if they can win you a SB.

    Saying replacement refs what won Seattle games last year is ridiculous. You obviously didn't watch Seattle play any games last year, so don't go posting ignorant garbage like that.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    User avatar
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1341
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, WA


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:10 am
  • a)The Seattle D wasn't an elite D on Sunday. Part of that was because of Luck's manipulation and part can be attributed to an off-week. I'm sure that's something else on which we can all disagree.
    b)I'm sure that both Luck and Wilson would agree with a few of the previous posts that point out the only stat that matters is the W/L. In the game Sunday, Luck got the W. All in all, both teams have 1 loss. It could also be pointed out that Tannehill was the better the QB on Sept 15.
    c)It's crazy to completely ignore rushing yards when judging a QB.

    Isn't it reasonable to ask the question: Without the starting QB, how would the team do?

    I think, on Sunday, those couple of TD passes to TY had so much room, many QBS could make that throw. That's not to diminish any other play. I just don't agree with previous posters comparing TY's TDs to Tate's miss. There was a difference of about 5 yards of separation. That's not on the QB. That's a fail on the D or a win for the WR. I'd guess, with the situation Sunday, the Seahawks would have performed worse with Luck at the helm than the Colts would have with Wilson going. ... just a guess.

    That's only one day. In general, I think Luck would have gone deep into the playoffs if he had the advantage of CLink. That has nothing to do with him as a player. ...just the fans in Indy.
    Last edited by chrispy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    chrispy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 203
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:50 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 am
  • Bartmuley wrote:Wilson is very good but his best asset is being ale to run when he gets in a jam. Look how many times he ran against the Colts.

    Wilson also has one of the best Ds, if not the best, in the league and a running game.

    Luck is a better QB. Obviously it bothers the OP since he started a thread about it.

    I keep seeing people talk about "accuracy"....you guys know Wilson is only completing 58% of his passes this year.....right? Which is less than the "inaccurate" Luck.

    Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.

    Luck is already better than Wislon and is only going to get better as he ages, Wilson is going to slow down and he won't be able to rely on running as an escape every time he gets in trouble. It will affect his game.


    He threw 21 TD's last year from the pocket. Had a higher QBR and completion percentage inside the pocket. But who cares, right? Espn says he's a run-first QB...it must be true
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7038
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 am
  • First of all QBR is a joke. Mannings 7 TD 450+ yard game wasn't even in the top 4 games of week one for QB's. No one uses QBR other than ESPN. Statistically Wilson has been better than Luck up to this point in their respective careers. I am a huge fan of Luck but Wilson has been as good or better while playing a much tougher schedule. Last year Wilson had one of the toughest schedules for a QB in the league....people forget that.

    I think both are going to be great and they are the two best young QB's in the league. Would most GM's take Luck over Wilson? Probably because of his size.

    I would love to revisit this after Wilson has a weapon like Harvin for 4 games or so. I think we see a jump in Wilson's stats when he has a guy who can create space and get open on his own at will.
    User avatar
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1142
    Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, Washington


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:We get it, man. You hate Russell Wilson. You've seriously dogged him in basically every thread that's come up in the last two days. Hard to take you seriously.



    I don't hate him at all. I really like him as a person and think he has a ton of potential.

    1. I am disapointed in his progress so far this year. I expected a lot more out of him. A lot of it is the Oline but to give them all the blame is foolish. He needs to get better. He needs to get better with his reads and downfield vision and his accuracy needs to improve. He also needs to work on stepping into the pocket against edge pressure instead of sliding out. Against inside pressure that's not really his fault and not much he can do. The good thing is that these are all rectifiable.

    2. 32/32 GMs in the league would take Luck. That's just the honest truth.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*
     
    Posts: 646
    Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:55 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    How so? His stats to this point are less than what Wilson has done and youre talking about him like he's the next Joe Montana. Maybe he has the potential to do something like that but until he proves it and gets his first playoff win, all those accolades you and the rest of the media want to give him are fictitious.

    I think Luck is great I just don't really think he's beyond Russell Wilson or even on another level yet, theres still lots to improve on in his game.


    IMO Wilson's stats were better last year because Wilson had more talent around him, and a much better offensive line. Now that Luck has some talent on offense you'll notice that their 2013 stats are very close.

    No one can convince me that any GM/coach combo would choose Wilson over Luck. That right there should end this debate. Both are very good QB's, but IMO Luck is the TOTAL package. He has no deficiencies.

    Wilson also has the ability to have a very good long career, and I'm glad we have him. But it'll be interesting to see how well he does when he starts approaching age 30 and his mobility slows down. Allusiveness is his biggest asset right now, what happens when that wanes? Hopefully we start building the hell out of our O-Line in the coming years so we don't have to find out.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3148
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:20 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:No one can convince me that any GM/coach combo would choose Wilson over Luck. That right there should end this debate.


    And no one can convince me that Carroll/Schneider or Bret Bielema would choose anyone other than Russell Wilson to be their franchise quarterback. That right there should end this debate.

    Sgt. Largent wrote:[But it'll be interesting to see how well he does when he starts approaching age 30 and his mobility slows down. Allusiveness is his biggest asset right now, what happens when that wanes? Hopefully we start building the hell out of our O-Line in the coming years so we don't have to find out.


    Tarkenton, Favre, and Young were mobile and productive well beyond 30. Russell isn't a running QB.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3743
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am
  • Luck does have deficiencies. Have you seen is turnover numbers so far? Most in the nfl to only Mark Sanchez. Seahawks had better talent overall but not so sure about his receiver corp. Hilton can fly and Wayne has been top 10 for a decade. Also I mentioned it earlier but Pro Football focus had Wilson's schedule as one of the toughest in the league last year and he has had a brutal schedule to start the year. Factor in we faced 3 top 5 front sevens with a decimated offensive line as well. What happened when he did have time to throw against Jax? He had an incredible day. GM's would take Luck because of his size....he's just safer. Doesn't mean he will be or is better.

    And do you know who GM's would take at #2? Russell Wilson. Not RG3, Kap, Newton etc....but Mr. Wilson.

    Also what do you think Lucks stats would be if we had him as our starter these first 5 games against the front 7's we faced? I would argue they would be worse. There are only a couple of guys in the league who can avoid contact and scramble like Wilson can and that has been his saving grace this year.
    User avatar
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1142
    Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:05 pm
    Location: Tri-Cities, Washington


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:29 am
  • coltsfan1405 wrote:lol im sorry but Wilson is not on lucks level VERY close but just not yet I hope we see you guys in the superbowl cause it will be a very good game and on neutral grounds in NY



    You are correct Wilson is clearly a level above...
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 533
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:32 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:44 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Bartmuley wrote:Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.


    Hahahaha, you don't know anything. Go watch the Bears game. Or the Atlanta game. Or the December 49ers game.

    Game manager. Brilliant.


    You obviously missed the "most of the year" part of my post. It's OK, i know some people have trouble reading. Just go reread my post, I'm sure you'll see it tis time.
    Bartmuley
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 am
  • Bartmuley wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Bartmuley wrote:Last year for most of the year Wilson was a game manager, nothing wrong with that but the Seahawks D and running game (and replacement refs) were what won the Seahawks games last year.


    Hahahaha, you don't know anything. Go watch the Bears game. Or the Atlanta game. Or the December 49ers game.

    Game manager. Brilliant.


    You obviously missed the "most of the year" part of my post. It's OK, i know some people have trouble reading. Just go reread my post, I'm sure you'll see it tis time.


    Nope; I just know that you don't know anything.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15160
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Tarkenton, Favre, and Young were mobile and productive well beyond 30. Russell isn't a running QB.


    Russell isn't a running QB in the same vein as guys like Vick or Cunningham, but he does depend heavily on his legs to allude pressure and buy time and/or run when the pocket breaks down.

    I'm just worried that his effectiveness might wane when he can no longer do this as efficiently as he does now. But that's a good problem to have considering every single one of our previous QB's going back to Zorn didn't have 1/10th of Wilson's skill set.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3148
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:54 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:I still don't see why you think I am irrational if I don't want Luck over Wilson. Or am I misunderstanding? Literally, no part of me wants Luck over Wilson. None. Zero. Nada. Does that mean I think Wilson is better or that I hate Luck? I don't think so. I am happy with our QB, and it has to do with more than QB play on the field. I think Luck leaves Indy at some point in his career. Maybe Wilson leaves eventually too, but I think we have a better chance of having RW forever than Indy has of keeping Luck forever. I have no evidence to back that claim, mind you, none. I'm just happy with our guy. Call me crazy.


    You are crazy.

    If you polled every GM and coach in the league (other than Seattle's), they'd take Luck over Wilson........and you would too if you removed your allegiance to the Hawks.

    I love Russell, he's a top 10 QB in this league and a fantastic teammate, role model and community leader. But Luck is an every 25 year type of QB. IMO he's that special.


    How so? His stats to this point are less than what Wilson has done and youre talking about him like he's the next Joe Montana. Maybe he has the potential to do something like that but until he proves it and gets his first playoff win, all those accolades you and the rest of the media want to give him are fictitious.

    I think Luck is great I just don't really think he's beyond Russell Wilson or even on another level yet, theres still lots to improve on in his game.


    IMO Wilson's stats were better last year because Wilson had more talent around him, and a much better offensive line. Now that Luck has some talent on offense you'll notice that their 2013 stats are very close.

    No one can convince me that any GM/coach combo would choose Wilson over Luck. That right there should end this debate. Both are very good QB's, but IMO Luck is the TOTAL package. He has no deficiencies.

    Wilson also has the ability to have a very good long career, and I'm glad we have him. But it'll be interesting to see how well he does when he starts approaching age 30 and his mobility slows down. Allusiveness is his biggest asset right now, what happens when that wanes? Hopefully we start building the hell out of our O-Line in the coming years so we don't have to find out.


    Anyone who is directly comparing Luck's stats to Wilson's from last year doesn't know about football. Luck ran a totally different, far more aggressive offense than Wilson and he did it without anywhere near the defense or running game the Seahawks had last year.

    Indy last year was running a new offense, with a rookie QB, with two rookie TEs, a rookie RB, a rookie WR, Avery who caught 3 passes the year before, and of course Wayne. And the Colts won 11 games...largely because oF Luck.

    No disrespect to Wilson but he came to loaded team and for much of last year he was just a game manager. He had nowhere near the attempts Luck had or passing yards.

    Wilson's running ability saves him a lot but sooner or later it will cost him. Ask RG3. Personally I don't want my QB running except as a last resort or if he's not going to get hit, QBs are too important.
    Last edited by Bartmuley on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Bartmuley
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm


Re: Russell Wilson v. Andrew Luck
Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am
  • Speaking as a fan (i.e. one who is prone to emotional swings) I think both are very promising QBs and deserve their accolades, but they make plays in different ways. That said, if the question is which is going to have the better career, at this point I'd say Luck will. He seems to be the more accurate passer and better at hitting a receiver in stride. I'm also beginning to think he sees the field better. Russell tends to overthrow open receivers, and this is something we've been seeing since he's been our QB, and it seems he's just not seeing some wide open receivers of late. Perhaps all QBs are guilty of that, but it just seems that this part of his game, his vision, hasn't been great this season. He makes up for this by being terrific with his legs, having great poise, and dedicating himself to being a great leader, but the dude has to figure out his accuracy issues because at some point, legs aren't enough for a QB.

    I don't know if this is all because our OL has more or less failed to rise to the occasion in Pass Pro (seem to be doing a little better in run game of late), but Russell just seems "off" a wee bit. Not a ton, mind you, but I don't mind telling you I'm a little...concerned.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6851
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Next


It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online