So how was it that Texas didn't get blown out by you?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Trying to find out if it was just some fluke so I can have some hope next week for the 49ers.

It seemed they were able to move the ball against you for most of the game, and that they shut your offense down most of the game. What did they do? I noticed a lot of down the field receptions by TEs against you. Also, how were you able to turn it around? I just saw a lot of undisciplined play by Texas and some great plays taking advantage of it. Are they really that good, or did you just lay a fat egg? Or was it the lack of the 12th man maybe? Or the presence of Johnson on the outside?
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

• 10 am. LBs can't cover a tight end. Bad D play calling first half.
    sturg78
    NET Veteran

• They sent the house at us every snap of the ball. I don't see that strategy being as effective against your line, but I fully expect your offense to have issues against their D. Your offense sucks ass this year.

They will hit a lot of crossing routes against your D. Expect a steady diet of throws over the middle to the likes of Owen Daniels.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

We could go X and O's, but that's the game, really.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

Well, I would say the reason you won, ultimately, was because Russell Wilson did better than Matt Schaub at the most important thing a QB is supposed to do. Wilson throws for a paltry 123 yards, Schaub throws for 355. But Wilson plays like Alex Smith and limits turnovers, meanwhile Schaub plays like a Mike Martz QB, throws 2 picks, including a crucial one in the clutch, and the result is that Seattle wins.

But I'm interested if there are any particular trends with Houston beyond merely Schaub choking. I don't think the 49ers can necessarily count on that, even if he has thrown a pick six the last three games.

Of course, you obviously hope Schaub has a focused, solid game. But maybe he can't?
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Starter

• I'm telling you, it was a game Houston came to play. They we're physical and after it. That's NFC West ball, by mid 3rd quarter, they we're spent.

Shaub was rattled, pure rattled. Foster was exhausted. Sherman was too, physically exhausted. If you get a chance watch from 3rd quarter on. Houston was spent...they couldn't play NFC West ball.

They did nothing surprising, blitzed numbers and took their chances with LB's over Sherman or Browner.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Tough one to call. I think the 10am start really hurts us just like you guys last year. I also think it kind of played a little bit of a lulling affect on Houston as they seemed shocked in the second half when we started playing like it was normal game time and at that point they might have already got it in their heads that they were the better team.

That first half was the perfect storm though. Early game against a pumped up, well coached and talented team coming of a demoralizing loss the week before. Significant injuries to our O-line going up against their biggest strength on and on. I'm not surprised we got off to a very slow start but I am also not surprised we battled back in the second half. I am a little surprised we left with the W. I had predicted a loss and for all the reasons described above.

We will get another test next week though and so will you. I call this Sunday double jeopardy. If we beat the Colts in their house and Houston beats you in yours, what does that say about our two teams? Will you be around here if that happens?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Taking nothing away from the Texans, I think we were missing our 3 OL quite a bit. It made it rough.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

• Because of "any given Sunday." 9 times out of 10 I think the scores would still be close anyways. Amazing front 7 with Cushing and Watt leading the way. Really good TE, Andre Johnson and my favorite rookie WR in the draft, Deandre Hopkins and their secondary is pretty damn good too. On our side, the 10 am starts seem to always lead to slow starts. Also, a horrible game plan coming out the gates limited any chance we had to keep the ball moving. With 3 backup OL, there seemed to be no quick hitting routes.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

Gawd I miss 15 round fights. 12 rounds are for chumps.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    pehawk wrote:It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

Well, I would say the reason you won, ultimately, was because Russell Wilson did better than Matt Schaub at the most important thing a QB is supposed to do. Wilson throws for a paltry 123 yards, Schaub throws for 355. But Wilson plays like Alex Smith and limits turnovers, meanwhile Schaub plays like a Mike Martz QB, throws 2 picks, including a crucial one in the clutch, and the result is that Seattle wins.

But I'm interested if there are any particular trends with Houston beyond merely Schaub choking. I don't think the 49ers can necessarily count on that, even if he has thrown a pick six the last three games.

Of course, you obviously hope Schaub has a focused, solid game. But maybe he can't?

Perhaps you're forgetting your 9ers are our hated rival, Mr. Harbaugh. Nice try coming into our forum for advice on how to game plan the Texans. Two words and then you're on your own. RUN KAEP.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Title reads funny. It first seemed like it was a mocking question like you guys claim to be so tough, why didn't you blow out the Texans? But the conversation is different.

So taking it from scratch where I figure you just want a scouting report, the Texans were winning the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball. For them to do it defensively wasn't a surprise, but they were missing folks from their OL and the backups were holding up for awhile.

On defense the Texans shut down the passing game but were susceptible to the run game by Lynch. He had a few long runs. The rest of the offense wasn't getting it done. On offense, the Texans were able to use their TEs and A Johnson to move the ball early. A few turnovers early kept them in check though they still had a 20-3 halftime lead. Second half the Seahawks defense started making stops with pressure and sacks. The Offense was still having issues because of the blocking but Wilson started taking advantage of the Texans secondary drops and got huge chunks on scrambles. The back-breaking 98 yd drive with the great catch by Baldwin helped make it a ballgame.

Texans had a chance to close it out after a pick but Kubiak was trying to silence critics about his conservative play-calling and tried to take a kill shot with a fake run, throw back to the TE that the Seahawks had expected and planned for during the week of practice.

Texans are a very deep and talented team that could afford to lose DeMeco Ryan and Williams and not miss a beat. They are getting close to desperate after the past two losses and early season uneven play. They will keep running the ball, so expect a nice slugfest in the trenches. The 9ers OL should be able to stand up to them and I am not sure Cushing has been cleared from his concussion yet. Your pass rush should be able to get some pressure but the lack of Aldon Smith may show up in this game. Brooks can get Schaub off his spot. I expect your team to win but I thought they would beat the Colts as well, so I may not be giving the AFC South their due.

Texans, Colts and Titans all seem to have defensive squads that can be stout. We will see Sunday again how they stack up to the NFC West. The 9ers players were shouting that they were back after the Rams game, so their swagger should be high to put on a show Sunday night. You guys need Baldwin to make more than 2 catches. Or for Gore to have a game like he had Thursday night.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• HawkWow wrote:Perhaps you're forgetting your 9ers are our hated rival, Mr. Harbaugh. Nice try coming into our forum for advice on how to game plan the Texans. Two words and then you're on your own. RUN KAEP.

If anything Harbaugh would call up his brother who just blown out the Texans a couple of games ago.
    SF49r
    NET Rookie

• Houston was 12-4 last year and won a playoff game, it's not like they're a weak team. We played a good team in their house, it shouldn't be a huge shock. We forced turnovers and they didn't is what tipped things. We gave up 20 points in 1 quarter and absolutely dominated the 2nd half. Our offense is still slow starting for whatever reason and we finally put it together in the 2nd half. We didn't blow them out because we played a good team in their house.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• And the turnovers came because Houston wasn't used to matching intensity like that. They're Holmgren's Seahawks, their division has made it so they can win on talent alone, most of the time.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:
    pehawk wrote:It was playoff intensity by Houston, for real. It wasn't a game, it was a 1970's 15 round heavyweight duel. Guess which team's MORE used to those?

I mean you always point to their stretch running scheme that can cause teams problems, owen daniels is really good, if he could just stay healthy I think he would be an all pro personally, but he's always hurt. They are bad at containing the QB, look for kaepernick to have a nice day rushing.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• After his locker room post game interview, I would suggest the 9ers commit at least 4 offensive linemen, a tight end and Frank Gore to blocking JJ Watt... on every down.

You're welcome.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• Houston is a good team. Period.

They have pro-bowl, household-name talent on both sides of the ball. Plus, Matt Shaub was on it for at least two quarters. Made VERY difficult throws. I think they lack consistently and were a little overrated before last week, but now people seem to be underrating them. They're not bad.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I think Aldon Smith could have a field day.

Kaep won't be able to run away from Cush, if he makes it past Watt..
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

• Bobblehead wrote:I think Aldon Smith could have a field day.

Could... But he won't, isn't he still in rehab?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:I think Aldon Smith could have a field day.

Yep, and.. thats a shame.
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

• Throwdown wrote:

Relax, he'll make the game; he's just gotta bust out of rehab, steal a car, beat a couple of hookers, and drive across Los Santos to get to the stadium before the game starts.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Lmaooooo
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• After Cushing went out, we were better. Coincidence or not. :229031_shrug:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:After Cushing went out, we were better. Coincidence or not. :229031_shrug:

Cushing was brilliant. Having not seen a lot of him before I was surprised by the size of his contract. After Sunday I consider it money very well spent.

Another factor in why the Seahawks struggled early was that the defense were frequently beaten by the Texans zone blocking scheme. Even with Brown out they created huge holes all of the first half.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Trying to find out if it was just some fluke so I can have some hope next week for the 49ers.

It seemed they were able to move the ball against you for most of the game, and that they shut your offense down most of the game. What did they do? I noticed a lot of down the field receptions by TEs against you. Also, how were you able to turn it around? I just saw a lot of undisciplined play by Texas and some great plays taking advantage of it. Are they really that good, or did you just lay a fat egg? Or was it the lack of the 12th man maybe? Or the presence of Johnson on the outside?

I don't play for the Seahawks. What is this "you" shit?

I get a laugh out of that kind of stuff. Does this clown think he's a member of the 49ers? They wouldn't even notice if this guy died. You're a nobody to both fan bases.
    Gap Filler
    NET Rookie

• I guess to answer the guys post, is simply that the Texans were a lot tougher than the Niners.
    Bobblehead
    NET Starter

• Because Houston's pass rush is ferocious and we were missing two All-Pro linemen (plus one other)?
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Pe nailed it in the first reply. Houston came into that game feeling like their back was against the wall. They threw everything they had at the Seahawks. I know the "It was teir superbowl" line is arrogant and overused, but they came out the gates like it was the last game of the season, and they blew our team off the ball.

Sadly for them, Russell and company are getting used to "weathering the storm" ( Russell's words) and by the end of the third, the Texans had nothing left.

I don't know if they will be able to take that intensity to SF, but you can bet they learned something about closing out a game last week, and if the 9ers let them stay in it, it could get real ugly in SF
    Dismas
    NET Starter

• Yards didn't matter. They won the first half, we won the second half. We won overtime. Simple as that. Look closely, we shut them down in the 2nd half, and our defense scored. And ya, R-Wilson helped out the cause a little bit.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Relax, he'll make the game; he's just gotta bust out of rehab, steal a car, beat a couple of hookers, and drive across Los Santos to get to the stadium before the game starts.

This looks more like the daily events of a Niner's fan, minus the stabbings.
    [size=50]“Give me your Loud, your Proud,
    Your Jacked Up masses yearning to Scream free,
    The Winning refuse of your Sea Town shore.
    Send these, the Passionate, Loyal, to me:
    I lift my 12 Flag beside the Lombardi.”

― Emma Lazarus (If she was a 12) By BraHn
    [/size]
    Brahn
    NET Veteran

• People have tried to say the loss of Cushing hurt Houston.

I say the tide turned when JJ Watt broke his face trying to hurt Russell Wilson. When the Texans saw their Zeus bleeding, they lost all hope and began to play in retreat.

Truth: After the last field goal the made in the 2nd, the Texans never crossed the 40 again.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I've been to a few high-end rehabs like Aldon. Truth be told, I'm jealous. Especially the ones in Southern Cal, that's the way to do rehab. I have an idea which one he's at, I've stayed there, its like a vacation, really. Aldon won't be rushing back, I stayed a few extra weeks. Too nice not to.

XOXO

Bernie Kosar
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Gap Filler wrote:I don't play for the Seahawks. What is this "you" shit?

I get a laugh out of that kind of stuff. Does this clown think he's a member of the 49ers? They wouldn't even notice if this guy died. You're a nobody to both fan bases.

I don't get people that think the word "your", as in "your team", or "my", as in "my team" means literal legal ownership. If I tell you "Your wife is a nice person", does that mean you're a slave owner; that she is your property?

Give it a rest. People talk about their team because they support them, nobody means they OWN the damned thing.

P.S., I hate you for making me defend a 49ers fan.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I think the 9ers are going to have problems on Sunday night. Houston might have beat us 42-13, the way they came after us. Except we aren't a team that allows that to happen.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Haha! GTA 9ers Edition!
    MagHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• bestfightstory wrote:I think the 9ers are going to have problems on Sunday night. Houston might have beat us 42-13, the way they came after us. Except we aren't a team that allows that to happen.

Kill shot.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• The Texans are a good football team. Like others though, they couldn't maintain for 4 quarters. They had a Lynch fumble to work with, an awful representation of an offensive line, in a 10AM PST road game.

The Hawks also gave the Texans too much respect and played a lot of what looked like zone defense because of their receivers. That was a coaching mistake that was obviously rectified at halftime.

Unfortunately for the Niners, they don't have the roster to man up the Texans, but I still think that the Niners will beat them with a healthy OLine and a lot of ball control.

I could be wrong, if Harbafreak's ego rears it head, Roman will get cute with Kaeperstank and the flipping thing will fall apart. As long as Gore/Hunter get a lot of carries they should be OK.

I have to admit though, JJ Watt is a one man wrecking crew. Who knows what will happen to Kaeperstank with that guy and his friends coming after him. They had the luxury of 3 backups on the line last week, but I don't think Watt cares.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Jazzhawk wrote:Yards didn't matter. They won the first half, we won the second half. We won overtime. Simple as that. Look closely, we shut them down in the 2nd half, and our defense scored. And ya, R-Wilson helped out the cause a little bit.

Pretty much how I saw it. Story of two halves and our quarterback doing what had to be done while theirs folded.

Also, why are people being rude to the OP? I thought his post was pretty straight forward and he asked legitimate questions.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• 5_Golden_Rings wrote:Also, how were you able to turn it around?

Champions find ways to win. Honestly that was like Atlanta all over again, with the ending that should have happened in the playoffs last year, had we not had to play in Fed "Mangle-Your-Knee" Ex Field in Washington and lose Clem.

Seattle punches people in the face for 60 minutes, 75 on occasion, and does what it takes to WIN games.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

• CallMeADawg wrote:
    5_Golden_Rings wrote:Also, how were you able to turn it around?

Champions find ways to win. Honestly that was like Atlanta all over again, with the ending that should have happened in the playoffs last year, had we not had to play in Fed "Mangle-Your-Knee" Ex Field in Washington and lose Clem.

Seattle punches people in the face for 60 minutes, 75 on occasion, and does what it takes to WIN games.

That is exactly what I think. I saw that ATL game all over again except I knew that the Texans wouldn't be able to score. Even when they got to mid field I knew they would dial it up. JS and PC made sure of it and it is paying off. Might prove to be huge in Indy too. Having pressure on the QB is so awesome.

Irvin is back too. :)
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Quinn would have won that game vs the falcons.
    cockeyhawk
    NET Rookie

• Agreed! ^
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Five rings has been around here a while and earned quality replys. He asked the question and we answered the best we could.

I agree JJ Watt is a one man wrecking crew, don't both us and the ninnirs wish we had him or someone like him? lol

I was worried as hell about that game and the upcoming one. So I guess we will see how it goes. I was impressed with the crowd at Houston. Everyone we play is trying to show they can be loud too. We just need to do what the NFL says about Richard Sherman in that video,,,,,we need to "DO A LOT OF RESPONDING".

Have to admit we've done well so far with the 10am games, just like the ninnirs did last season. That is a huge mountain to climb for we west coast teams.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:Have to admit we've done well so far with the 10am games, just like the ninnirs did last season. That is a huge mountain to climb for we west coast teams.

:les:

Les, stop taking so much advantage of the legal weed in our beloved state. We are smoking the 49ers at 10am games this year compared to how they did in their 10am games last year. They had a total of three 10am games, they lost the first one @ Minnesota, won the second one @ Jets, and lost the third one @ Rams. Going 1 for 3 against an average team in the Vikings, crappy team in the Jets, and mediocre team in the Rams is hardly them doing well at 10am on the road last year.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information