Why the hate for Luck?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Why the hate for Luck?
Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:53 am
  • I think he seems a good guy (very sporting) and I reckon he will have a decent career. He looks to be a bit wet (the talk with Manning at the pro bowl was embarrassing) but he plays the game in the right way as far as I can see.

It seems though that everyone wants to see him crushed next week. What gives?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Why the hate for Luck?
Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:11 am
  • I think there's a bit of a QB inferiority complex here in that he only needs to perform averagely to earn rave reviews; as seen last year, whereas Russ earned his plaudits yet was still lurking in Luck's shadows for the most part.

It's a shame, as you say he's a good QB, and likely has a very good future, we should be ecstatic enough we've got Wilson without feeling the need to put down Luck to reinforce this, but we do; I'll admit I enjoy seeing Luck sucking it up. We all want Russ to be the best QB out of that draft.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 am
  • Pretty sure for a lot of people it's the media junk-slurping that was going on for the YEAR-AND-A-HALF prior to him being drafted, and then just as much slurping all of last year on top of that.

It's the same reason everyone hates Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On; overexposure and excessive praise to the extreme.

Plus, watching the Colts tank to get Peyton Manning, then 14 years later, tanking again to get Luck, I find it a bit annoying.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 am
  • I don't follow the college game overly closely so wasnt aware of that. Have to admit tanking your team to get the number 1 draft seems to be against the spirit of the game and sport in general.

I can understand how as Wilson fans can look at those other quarterbacks and feel a bit miffed. I personally was more annoyed with the media infatuation with RG3 when I thought RW3 was the much better player.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:I don't follow the college game overly closely so wasnt aware of that. Have to admit tanking your team to get the number 1 draft seems to be against the spirit of the game and sport in general.

I can understand how as Wilson fans can look at those other quarterbacks and feel a bit miffed. I personally was more annoyed with the media infatuation with RG3 when I thought RW3 was the much better player.

The Colts didn't tank. Lots of people like to think they did, but they didn't.

They were a poorly-built team, one that was wholly dependent on Manning's excellence - on both sides of the ball. Once that level of QB play was gone, the team fell apart.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44 am
  • UK, I'm talking about the NFL media loving Luck for a full year before the draft. It was unseemly. I don't follow college ball or news whatsoever.

volsunghawk wrote:The Colts didn't tank. Lots of people like to think they did, but they didn't.

They were a poorly-built team, one that was wholly dependent on Manning's excellence - on both sides of the ball. Once that level of QB play was gone, the team fell apart.

IDK, call me skeptical on it a bit. Colts had multiple winning seasons before a horrible season to get Peyton, same thing with Luck. I completely agree that Peyton is the best "carry the team" QB in the league, but down the tail stretch of the last few games for the Colts in 2011, I would not be surprised at all if some of the play calling or scheming was a little...Lax.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:The Colts didn't tank. Lots of people like to think they did, but they didn't.

IDK, call me skeptical on it a bit. Colts had multiple winning seasons before a horrible season to get Peyton, same thing with Luck. I completely agree that Peyton is the best "carry the team" QB in the league, but down the tail stretch of the last few games for the Colts in 2011, I would not be surprised at all if some of the play calling or scheming was a little...Lax.

The Colts had a handful of 9-7 seasons scattered throughout their previous 20 years while posting some truly dreadful records in between, with QBs like Jeff George and Jim Harbaugh "leading" them. Their 9-7 season that preceded the 3-13 year that allowed them to draft Manning is a year they were outscored by 17 points. The team was consistently at the middle of the pack or below when it came to both offense and defense, points and yards. This was not a "good" team that tanked to get the #1 pick. It was a below average team that caught a few lucky breaks in a couple of seasons, and didn't catch them in 1997.

As for 2011, they actually played BETTER near the end of the season, winning 2 of their last 3. 7 of the 14 games they lost were by 8 points or less. That team TRIED, but they were just too dependent on transcendent QB play and the defense was designed to protect a lead. And I'm sorry, but no front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success because their jobs are DIRECTLY tied to that success. Caldwell, Polian, and his kid all paid the price for that 2-14 season. And before you trot out Cleveland as an example of tanking, I completely disagree that they are tanking. Cleveland has a completely new regime who needs to build the football team they want to field, rather than the one the previous regime fielded. But they're trying to stay competitive while maximizing what they can get for assets they feel are expendable (and perhaps more valuable to other teams). If the Browns were tanking, you'd see Joe Haden, Jordan Cameron, and Joe Thomas on the trade block (they're not).

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:22 am
  • "No front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success" sounds too much like "No front office and coaching staff would ever have a bounty system for enemy offensive players", or "No front office and coaching staff would ever be involved with illegal activity to strengthen their team", both of which have happened.

Let's just agree to disagree. Also, I'm not saying the Colts tanked, I'm saying I think there's a realistic chance that some key person on the team may have contributed to it a bit. A far cry from the your implied team-wide conspiracy.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:"No front office and coaching staff will actively try to sabotage their team's success" sounds too much like "No front office and coaching staff would ever have a bounty system for enemy offensive players", or "No front office and coaching staff would ever be involved with illegal activity to strengthen their team", both of which have happened.

Let's just agree to disagree. Also, I'm not saying the Colts tanked, I'm saying I think there's a realistic chance that some key person on the team may have contributed to it a bit. A far cry from the your implied team-wide conspiracy.

In those other examples, those are instances of front offices/coaches actively trying to improve a team's performance and results, not harm them.

I do, however, agree that there are actually two key people who were on the Colts who contributed to that 2-14 season. Bill Polian and Peyton Manning. Manning's absence and Polian's mismanagement were direct factors in the 2-14.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:17 am
  • I want him crushed because the Seahawks play him on Sunday. Nothing personal.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:19 am
  • I just dislike doctors.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am
  • I actually don't dislike Luck himself at all. What I don't like is how the media rode his jock the last 2 years.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:I think he seems a good guy (very sporting) and I reckon he will have a decent career. He looks to be a bit wet (the talk with Manning at the pro bowl was embarrassing) but he plays the game in the right way as far as I can see.

I don't hate Luck, I hate his Amish neckbeard!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:15 pm
  • Luck is the best young QB in the NFL.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:According go dbfresh luck will be the greatest qb

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97608 ... ll-history

Yeah I don't know how to feel about this. His comment at the end was kind of weird.

I was okay with the article until the last quote. I hope it is just the journalist ending the article like for dramatic effect
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 pm
  • Is there really that much hate around here? I see a lot of jokes about the neck beard but I don't think there is a lot of "he sucks, i hope he dies" comments floating around. Solid QB who will likely be a really, really good QB for most of his career.

Hate him? No.
    Hate that scary homemade neck scarf/fur? Yes.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 pm
  • HawkMeat wrote:According go dbfresh luck will be the greatest qb

OK, this is where Sando would usually supplement the player quote with some actual analysis supported by stats, etc. Not sure why the Seahawks beat reporter is writing a Luck puff-piece.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 pm
  • HawkMeat wrote:According go dbfresh luck will be the greatest qb

It says he can be. Also lets be honest with ourselves for a second, DB is more than likely going to end up a Colt if we don't resign him which I don't think we will be able too.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    HawkMeat wrote:According go dbfresh luck will be the greatest qb

OK, this is where Sando would usually supplement the player quote with some actual analysis supported by stats, etc. Not sure why the Seahawks beat reporter is writing a Luck puff-piece.

Yeah. Poorly written.
    Opinion has caused more trouble on this little earth than plagues or earthquakes.
    -Voltaire
    HawkMeat
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 pm
  • I concur with Baldwin's assessment. At least partially. I won't go so far as to ascertain that Luck will be the all time greatest, but he will definitely be great. I see him as the next Aaron Rodgers in this league. People should research a bit more on the kid. Start between his ears (forget the beard, lol).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:28 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:I think he seems a good guy (very sporting) and I reckon he will have a decent career. He looks to be a bit wet (the talk with Manning at the pro bowl was embarrassing) but he plays the game in the right way as far as I can see.

I don't hate Luck, I hate his Amish neckbeard!

My hatred for his neck beard is not only disgust but it should be illegal. :pukeface:
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:54 pm
  • The neck beard is brilliant. It's his way of saying "I have no time for hot women".
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm
  • Nothing about Luck really stands out to me. Everyone seems to be in agreement that he's the best young QB, but where's the evidence? He doesn't look like a world beater on tape. The guy absolutely crumbled against Miami in the second half as he tried to overcome a daunting 4 point deficit.

I don't hate Luck. I hate the perception surrounding him.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 pm
  • I like the kid. Heard his media session today. He's very nice, respectful, funny, humble. And very talented. Nothing wrong with him at all.

That being said, I hope we spank the crap out of the Colts this week.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:08 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Pretty sure for a lot of people it's the media junk-slurping that was going on for the YEAR-AND-A-HALF prior to him being drafted, and then just as much slurping all of last year on top of that.

It's the same reason everyone hates Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On; overexposure and excessive praise to the extreme.

Plus, watching the Colts tank to get Peyton Manning, then 14 years later, tanking again to get Luck, I find it a bit annoying.

That seemed to cover it well....plus we play them on Sunday.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 pm
  • We don't hate Luck. We just think RW is better and many fans carry the chip that should be on his shoulder (but isn't) for him.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 am
  • knownone wrote:Nothing about Luck really stands out to me. Everyone seems to be in agreement that he's the best young QB, but where's the evidence? He doesn't look like a world beater on tape. The guy absolutely crumbled against Miami in the second half as he tried to overcome a daunting 4 point deficit.

I don't hate Luck. I hate the perception surrounding him.

This for the most part. I cant think of a QB right now who is more overhyped and overrated for what he actually produces than luck.

Luck is 81/127 915 Yards 5TD and 2Int. 5 TD is tied for 18th in the league with Dalton, Flacco, Hoyer, Kaep, Big Ben, Manuel, Vick, Tannehill He DOES have a 91.8 rating so theres that. Here are the teams he has done this against

Oakland
    Miami
    @SF
    @Jax

Man.... Oakland, Miami and Jax are REALLY REALLY tough opponents guys. Only @SF was the hardest game IMO and that was AFTER the Seahawks completely dismantled and crushed the 49ers.

Not to mention everyone LOVES to talk about how bad the COLTS as a team are but how Luck just puts them on his back. Is that why the Colts are right behind us for points allowed on their D? Colts D has allowed 51 points and we have allowed 47. They also have more sacks than we do.

Lets see what Luck can do in his next stretch of games to truly see how much he has improved

Seahawks
    @Chargers
    Broncos
    @Texans

This 4 game stretch will really be the test to this colts team and luck.
    WilsonMVP
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:57 pm
  • I am fine with the accolades Luck is getting right now, I wasn't so fine with it last year when he was nowhere near the same level of play as RG3 and Wilson.

Indy was a mirage last year. Not this time. Luck was the NFL's most over-rated player last year. Not this time. I fully respect Indy's chances and I think this might just be the toughest regular season game Seattle has left.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:00 am
  • HawkWow wrote:The neck beard is brilliant. It's his way of saying "I have no time for women".

Fixed that for you! :stirthepot:
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information