Anybody else like Houston Sunday Night?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Appreciate all the varied responses. Not sure what I might do, wager wise. I am backing Houston, obviously. Albeit I have nothing riding on the financially, I had either Houston or Cincy slotted as the AFC representative facing Seattle in the Super Bowl going into this season. And while Houston has underperformed, it has only been 4 of 16 games. I still believe they can make a serious run. We beat a damn good team on Sunday that racked up a shitload of yardage on us in the process. I don't think their spirit is broken. As professionals, I think they realize they had us on the ropes and needed ONE more play with several opportunities to accomplish that.

    The Niners can not be counted on to run consistently and successfully nor pass successfully and consistently. I think the Texans are capable of both.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

    So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)


    Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?
    User avatar
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 597
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 am


  • CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

    So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)


    Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?


    I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

    So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)


    Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?


    I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.


    Screenshot or it didnt happen.
    User avatar
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 597
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 am


  • CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

    So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)


    Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?


    I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.


    Screenshot or it didnt happen.


    Tell him that.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Nobody wins $16,000 on a single investment without some sort of proof!
    User avatar
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 597
    Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:24 am


  • I've had time to rethink my position on your (potential) bet, BFS. And I'm thinking of the old adage..."sometimes you just have to go with your gut", and how that misnomer gets most in trouble. A pro goes with value.

    As of now, I see SF's D and Kaep's legs pulling out the win. And I know I am heavily influenced by the additional rest SF was awarded, as well.

    But at -260, I don't think the teams are that far apart. Kaep may not use his legs, he may krap the bed.

    GB and Indy moved the ball on SF's D, so Schaub and Houston can too.

    So really, SF's big advantage is rest and HFA (if their fans are in their seats and not out back killing people).

    I think -260 is good value. So win or lose, it's a good play (IMO).
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5013
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • SF is a joke. I think football outsiders has their defense ranked around 18 by DVOA after 4 weeks, and their offense is only marginally better.

    Houston is a much more efficient team.

    SF has crap for corners, and no receiving threats outside of Boldin who is a high end #2 at best. Willis has a hammy thing, Davis has a hammy thing and Aldon is in rehab.

    Texans are going to blow them out.
    poop
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 9677
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

    Houston 23
    Whiners 13
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

    Houston 23
    Whiners 13


    This may well be an example of a diminishing HFA.

    1) the Niner fans just suck, in general. Their hopes already dashed, they may not bring their A game.

    2) the weather will be very pleasant for the visiting Humid-Houston Texans

    3) Most importantly, with the chaos surrounding Schaub and the team at home, there couldn't be a better time for a road trip. I sincerely believe Schaub (in particular) will be less stressed playing away, than home. A road win and he and the team go back to a hero's welcome. I expect them to play hard but loose on Sunday. I predict Cushing is going to be in Kaeps wheelhouse the majority of SF's offensive snaps. SF has a great line, for sure, but Cushing has Watt to tear open entry points. Can't wait.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5013
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1571
    Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm


  • rideaducati wrote:The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.


    Great points. On paper, this game shouldn't be that close. But I worry about Foster. I think Kubiak should bump Tate to #1 this week. Even this early in the season, this is a very crucial game for both opponents. I expect Harbaugh to do whatever necessary to win, including running Kaep into the dirt. That said, Kubiak should take the same approach.

    The best bet (IMO) is to set up the run with short passes. Then run Tate into the dirt, using a likely angry Foster to spell him. Keep the ball away from SF and keep the crowd out of the game. I'm liking Houston's chances more by the day. Cushing needs to play a role similar to how Switzer used the Boz at Oklahoma. Just mirror Kaep because I don't believe Gore is going to beat Houston. If SF is going to win, it will have to be with Kaeps legs, IMO.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5013
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

    Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 pm


  • Carmon1274 wrote:This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

    Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.


    I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5013
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • HawkWow wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

    Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.


    I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.



    Right Im not a niner fan.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 pm


  • I just think it is way too early to determine that the Niners suck. They still have a monster of an OLine, Vernon Davis and a QB who can win with his legs if he can't find Boldin and Davis.

    I suppose we will know more this week. If the Hawks can steal another road win as beat up as they are and the Niners lose, I will be on board with the Niners sucking. But I think the Niners are going to get a MUCH needed win. It doesn't matter if the Hawks lose, the Niners have to win this game or they are in a lot of trouble early. To get under 500 with 5 games would be a massive blow. I hope that I am totally wrong and that Houston destroys SF.
    Eh... Whatever...
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5329
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • I'm thinking this game might end up being a 'no-play' for me. Not because I am discouraged by Houston, but because I remain uncertain and I am about to board a flight to Indianapolis and I don't know when I will be sober enough to think clearly about this.

    I heard on sports radio this morning that HALF of Kaepernick's production came in the very first game. From a gambling standpoint, I guess I'd say the smart money might be on Houston WITH the points, but I still think they win outright.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • As much as I wish against it I see no outcome not including a 49er win.:(
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6356
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

    So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)


    Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?


    I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.


    :lol:

    Seriously, I wouldn't bet on this one. Two unpredictable teams in must win situations.
    Image
    User avatar
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 22153
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
    Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014


  • Nevermind.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • I've yet to hear or read any quotes from Watt.

    I recall he didn't like losing 2 in a row. He also expressed he didn't enjoy losing even 1 in a row(!). I'm curious how he feels about losing 3 in a row.

    What a mess this once promising Houston team finds themselves in.
    We should offer 2 1sts for Watt.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5013
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:SF is a joke. I think football outsiders has their defense ranked around 18 by DVOA after 4 weeks, and their offense is only marginally better.

    Houston is a much more efficient team.

    SF has crap for corners, and no receiving threats outside of Boldin who is a high end #2 at best. Willis has a hammy thing, Davis has a hammy thing and Aldon is in rehab.

    Texans are going to blow them out.


    Hows that fortune telling gig working out for you? LOL
    User avatar
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 678
    Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am




It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online