Anybody else like Houston Sunday Night?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Anybody else like Houston Sunday Night?
Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm
  • In San Francisco? They are a +260 MoneyLine.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• +260 Moneyline? What the hell does that actually mean? Personally? I have no clue which way to go currently.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• +260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• +240 in 5dimes

So if I bet 40.00 with the +240 I can win $96.00
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• yes, I think Houston wins straight up. I'll be in Vegas Saturday night. Denver is going to roll the cowboys and that craptastic secondary. That's the game I'm going to bet.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'm taking Houston. Kap's proved to be crappy when the defense can cover. Houston can cover, Indy covered well and we covered well. Plus, out of all those teams, he's got the least chance of outrunning the Texans.

That said, they won't create anywhere near the amount of pressure Russ faced. We'll see, should be a fun game! Go Texans!
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

• The best thing about last Sunday's result is that the Texans will be an absolute wounded animal against SF. They will be giving it all after suffering a defeat that must have really hurt.

The 'hawks have effectively primed the opposition for their next game against our divisional rival. That really was an unexpected bonus coming out of Sunday.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Don't forget that 49ers are coming off a Thursday night game. So they had an additional 3 days to prepare.

I always like picking someone that lose a game like Houston did (see SD earlier in the season) but I don't like picking against a team that is coming of a semi-bye week
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• SF's defense has been nothing special so far this season. Schaub may have a panic button, but SF isn't going to make him push it that often. When he's not panicked, we all saw what he can do. Meanwhile, SF still only has Boldin and Davis. So I don't think they'll move the ball much vs that defense.

I'm picking Houston to win this one.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• It's no secret that I like Houston's squad. I acknowledge Schaub's glaring and frustrating flaws, but he is capable of racking up yardage and every team San Fran has played this year seems to have thrown the ball on them with the exception of the Rams (a function of Bradford) and us.

Additionally, the 9ers run defense is not what it was two years ago. If Tate and Foster can move the ball it will help protect Schaub and I think Houston has a solid chance to pull the upset as 7point dogs on the road and salvage their season.

Perhaps glancing up at the scoreboard during warmups and taking note of the Seahawks thrashing of their rivals in Indianapolis earlier in the day will steel their resolve to get back in the race for the AFC South.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Show me SF's injury report and then I'll tell you who I like.

If Willis is still out, I like Arian Foster and Andre Johnson against that banged up defense and crappy corners.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

• I am leery of Houston, San Fran has had extra days to prepare a game plan.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Marshawn and RW had clutch plays as did the defense. Kap and Gore will have to do the same. I don't know if SF's banged up defense can keep the heat on for 4 qrtrs, especially if Aldon Smith and PW are still out.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I predict Gore doesn't get 50 yds (on the ground) vs. Houston. I know I keep saying Gore is finished, then he runs wild right after. I'm still saying Gore is no longer anything special. Look at every one of his long gains and you will see the line had opened holes that firkin Oprah could run through. I don't anticipate holes like that vs. Houston.

BUT....one thing about Harbaugh, when he sees something is not working, he adjusts or abandons that strategy. Now, that's not to say his plan B is any better, but he will go to plan B. In this case, watch for heavy doses of the previously missing run-option. Our win vs. Houston put us 2 games up and Harbaugh knows there's no time like the present to pull out the stops. PLUS, you know the Psycho now HAS to beat Houston since we did....and I think he will (without travel and lots of rest playing what might be a damaged team). I think it will be entertaining, but don't think I'd bet the moneyline, BFS. I can see SF winning this with Kaeps legs; 23-16 Niners.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• As strange as it sounds, several of us made a deal with Texan fans last Sunday. We would beat the colts for them. They in turn would beat the 9ers for us. Sweet deal huh. Let it be written, let it be done.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• We beat the niners who have a weaker d than last year , no deep threat , a minimal running game thus far.
    Get ready for a long day , I see the Texans beating the crap out of san fran
    hawxfreak
    NET Practice Squad

• I wouldn't bet on it, but I think Houston gets it done. That defensive front will have Kaep rattled just like we did. As long as they don't do something stupid, I think they can take the 9ers.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• I like San Fran 23-17, but it won't be easy
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

• I don't. While I would fully enjoy seeing them lose, the Niners are an exceptional football team that can still bring it if they stick with the run no matter what happens.

I did have a theory going back to last year though, that the Niners tend to have trouble with functionally balanced teams with a good defense. Basically a team that can move the ball on the ground with a QB that can make throws when the Niners are forced to address the run. It doesn't take a great passing game, just a functional one. So far that has rang true, but not likely this week.

The Niners are still built like the Hawks and having Seattle and SF in consecutive weeks? Nightmare.... They may never recover. Texans fans had to see that as an ugly piece of schedule. They needed that win at home just to balance the trip to SF and failed. The good thing for Houston is that it shouldn't get much worse than that except for a match with Denver.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I have two favorite teams: Seahawks and whoever is playing the 49ers each week.

Unfortunately, I think the well-rested 9ers will beat any team that's still achy from a recent Seahawks brawl.

49ers: 20
    Texans: 10
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Appreciate all the varied responses. Not sure what I might do, wager wise. I am backing Houston, obviously. Albeit I have nothing riding on the financially, I had either Houston or Cincy slotted as the AFC representative facing Seattle in the Super Bowl going into this season. And while Houston has underperformed, it has only been 4 of 16 games. I still believe they can make a serious run. We beat a damn good team on Sunday that racked up a shitload of yardage on us in the process. I don't think their spirit is broken. As professionals, I think they realize they had us on the ropes and needed ONE more play with several opportunities to accomplish that.

The Niners can not be counted on to run consistently and successfully nor pass successfully and consistently. I think the Texans are capable of both.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

So, in this case, if you were to risk $1,000 on the Texans and they won the game you would receive $2,600 (as well as your initial risk of $1,000)

Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

• CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

Hmmm... not a betting man (I do play the stock market though, $50k riding in various holdings) but that is one hell of a one day return. :) Curious - what are those winning subject to taxwise? 30%?

I've never won a penny. Ask Largent80. He won 16 thousand on Seattle last year.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:+260 essentially means that if Houston were to win the game by any margin you win 2.6times more than what you risk.

Screenshot or it didnt happen.
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

• CallMeADawg wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:

Screenshot or it didnt happen.

Tell him that.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Nobody wins $16,000 on a single investment without some sort of proof!
    CallMeADawg
    NET Veteran

• I've had time to rethink my position on your (potential) bet, BFS. And I'm thinking of the old adage..."sometimes you just have to go with your gut", and how that misnomer gets most in trouble. A pro goes with value.

As of now, I see SF's D and Kaep's legs pulling out the win. And I know I am heavily influenced by the additional rest SF was awarded, as well.

But at -260, I don't think the teams are that far apart. Kaep may not use his legs, he may krap the bed.

GB and Indy moved the ball on SF's D, so Schaub and Houston can too.

So really, SF's big advantage is rest and HFA (if their fans are in their seats and not out back killing people).

I think -260 is good value. So win or lose, it's a good play (IMO).
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• SF is a joke. I think football outsiders has their defense ranked around 18 by DVOA after 4 weeks, and their offense is only marginally better.

Houston is a much more efficient team.

SF has crap for corners, and no receiving threats outside of Boldin who is a high end #2 at best. Willis has a hammy thing, Davis has a hammy thing and Aldon is in rehab.

Texans are going to blow them out.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

Houston 23
    Whiners 13
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:Ya i'm leaning towards Houston winning fairly convincingly. if this were in Houston i'd have less reservations about it, but being at the stick the game might be closer than it should.

Houston 23
    Whiners 13

This may well be an example of a diminishing HFA.

1) the Niner fans just suck, in general. Their hopes already dashed, they may not bring their A game.

2) the weather will be very pleasant for the visiting Humid-Houston Texans

3) Most importantly, with the chaos surrounding Schaub and the team at home, there couldn't be a better time for a road trip. I sincerely believe Schaub (in particular) will be less stressed playing away, than home. A road win and he and the team go back to a hero's welcome. I expect them to play hard but loose on Sunday. I predict Cushing is going to be in Kaeps wheelhouse the majority of SF's offensive snaps. SF has a great line, for sure, but Cushing has Watt to tear open entry points. Can't wait.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• rideaducati wrote:The niner team sucks, they just don't know it. The Texan team is good and doesn't know they are. I expect the Texans to whomp the niners if they have any semblance of heart because they ARE the better team.

Great points. On paper, this game shouldn't be that close. But I worry about Foster. I think Kubiak should bump Tate to #1 this week. Even this early in the season, this is a very crucial game for both opponents. I expect Harbaugh to do whatever necessary to win, including running Kaep into the dirt. That said, Kubiak should take the same approach.

The best bet (IMO) is to set up the run with short passes. Then run Tate into the dirt, using a likely angry Foster to spell him. Keep the ball away from SF and keep the crowd out of the game. I'm liking Houston's chances more by the day. Cushing needs to play a role similar to how Switzer used the Boz at Oklahoma. Just mirror Kaep because I don't believe Gore is going to beat Houston. If SF is going to win, it will have to be with Kaeps legs, IMO.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• Carmon1274 wrote:This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

Sure they survived against the Rams, that suck but against a Average team it's different.

I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Carmon1274 wrote:This game basically determines if Patrick Willis is out or not. If he's out and Aldon Smith is inactive, then the SF has a big hole.

I will concede that without Smith and Willis, you guys definitely have an excuse for getting outscored. I don't mean that sarcastically.

Right Im not a niner fan.
    Carmon1274
    NET Veteran

• I just think it is way too early to determine that the Niners suck. They still have a monster of an OLine, Vernon Davis and a QB who can win with his legs if he can't find Boldin and Davis.

I suppose we will know more this week. If the Hawks can steal another road win as beat up as they are and the Niners lose, I will be on board with the Niners sucking. But I think the Niners are going to get a MUCH needed win. It doesn't matter if the Hawks lose, the Niners have to win this game or they are in a lot of trouble early. To get under 500 with 5 games would be a massive blow. I hope that I am totally wrong and that Houston destroys SF.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I'm thinking this game might end up being a 'no-play' for me. Not because I am discouraged by Houston, but because I remain uncertain and I am about to board a flight to Indianapolis and I don't know when I will be sober enough to think clearly about this.

I heard on sports radio this morning that HALF of Kaepernick's production came in the very first game. From a gambling standpoint, I guess I'd say the smart money might be on Houston WITH the points, but I still think they win outright.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• As much as I wish against it I see no outcome not including a 49er win.:(
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:
    CallMeADawg wrote:

:lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't bet on this one. Two unpredictable teams in must win situations.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Nevermind.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• I've yet to hear or read any quotes from Watt.

I recall he didn't like losing 2 in a row. He also expressed he didn't enjoy losing even 1 in a row(!). I'm curious how he feels about losing 3 in a row.

What a mess this once promising Houston team finds themselves in.
    We should offer 2 1sts for Watt.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:SF is a joke. I think football outsiders has their defense ranked around 18 by DVOA after 4 weeks, and their offense is only marginally better.

Houston is a much more efficient team.

SF has crap for corners, and no receiving threats outside of Boldin who is a high end #2 at best. Willis has a hammy thing, Davis has a hammy thing and Aldon is in rehab.

Texans are going to blow them out.

Hows that fortune telling gig working out for you? LOL
    Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information