A Curious Quiz

What Say You, Football Fan?

Votes: 16 48.5%

Votes: 6 18.2%

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
OK, this is an interesting poll question for you all. But it will take a little thinking and to see the question too early will spoil it. Because of that I am going to put the actual poll selections in the second post of the thread.

The "thinking" part is this: think about all of the classic football drives you have seen on TV. Old, new...whatever. Really see them in your mind's eye. Take time and do a thorough job.
Question and options are coming next.

OP
OP
Trenchbroom

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
What direction were the majority of the drives going in?
1. Left to right on the TV.
2. Right to left on the TV.
3. No discernable difference.

drdiags

Reaction score
Green Bay - Bart Starr sneak L to R
Seahawks XL DJack Push-off Drive - L to R
SF Joe Montana to Clark - R to L
Raiders beating Dolphins, Snake to Davis(?) - R to L
Steelers Immaculate Reception - R to L
Miami vs Chargers (Winslow game) - Big blur
Broncos (The Drive) - L to R (? I think, mind is slipping)
Holy Roller - R to L

I picked option 3, just seems pretty random but I gather there is point to be made here.

OP
OP
Trenchbroom

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Going through my memories of various important moments that I can think of ("The Drive", "We want the ball...", "Beastquake", etc.), the vast majority of them were L to R. The only big ones I could think of going the other way were the Tyree catch and the final kick to finish "the comeback". Diags, your mention of some other R to L seems true, now that I reflect on them.

No big bold theory here, was curious if people can cleanly remember the directions or if the direction is "lost" in the memory (my wife says she doesn't really remember what direction the drives are going in but she remembers key pieces of the drives).

Just thought it would be an interesting quiz.

drdiags

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":34n23igx said:
Going through my memories of various important moments that I can think of ("The Drive", "We want the ball...", "Beastquake", etc.), the vast majority of them were L to R. The only big ones I could think of going the other way were the Tyree catch and the final kick to finish "the comeback". Diags, your mention of some other R to L seems true, now that I reflect on them.

No big bold theory here, was curious if people can cleanly remember the directions or if the direction is "lost" in the memory (my wife says she doesn't really remember what direction the drives are going in but she remembers key pieces of the drives).

Just thought it would be an interesting quiz.

It was a cool exercise. Especially when you have to try to remember some games back in the early 60's as a kid. Power of suggestion also can affect what you remember because the Broncos/Elway vs Cleveland drives, I saw them in both directions in my mind and I know that wasn't the case. Good stuff.