The epitome of mediocrity

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
The epitome of mediocrity
Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:59 am
  • In their last 260 games, the Dullass Cowpatties are 130-130*. That's 16+ years of being completely average. America's Mean, not America's Team.

* Source, Trey Wingnut on the Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: The epitome of mediocrity
Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am
  • Jerry Jones is still a brilliant man for the money he makes off that team. But as a fan, I'd be pissed at the way he operates that organization.
    Colin Kaepernick wrote:I think our efficiency in the huddle was more of a factor than the crowd.
    C-Dub
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm
  • Outside of Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong his (Jones) FO and GM (see him) is the worst in American pro sports. But..... The guy is borderline genius as an owner being able to keep milking money out of that rube of a fanbase!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Jimmy crack corn and I don't care!
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:03 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:In their last 260 games, the Dullass Cowpatties are 130-130*. That's 16+ years of being completely average. America's Mean, not America's Team.

Why 260 games? Is there something special about the last 16 years? If he picked the last 8 years for the heck of it we'd conclude the Cowboys have only had a losing record once in the last 8 years. That's pretty good. In all honesty I think the author picked the "random" number of 16 years because if he went farther back, in the years before that they went 10-6, 12-4, 12-4, 12-4, 13-3, and 11-5. Again, pretty good.

260 games just sounds like enough games to selectively filter to get a regression to the mean over time.

For instance, the Bears have the best regular season overall record in NFL history. With a .576 winning percentage. Basically they win 9 games a year over time instead of 8. The Hawks are at .483. Basically they've won 7.75 games a year instead of 8. Don't think either of those are that meaningful.

http://www.profootballhof.com/UserFiles ... _Final.pdf
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:50 pm
  • Ok, here is a stat you'll find more acceptable. They have 1 playoff win THIS century! Better?
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:54 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Ok, here is a stat you'll find more acceptable. They have 1 playoff win THIS century! Better?

Not about acceptability or unacceptability. It's about fine pruning stats to tell the story you want to tell. My examples of "Cowboys look pretty good" in the contexts I presented were supposed to be examples of pruning as well.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:37 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information