All the hate Goodell gets is kind of ridiculous

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
So he is "pussifying" the league? If by pussifying you mean trying to avoid the NFL getting sued out of exstence than you are right.

Goodell is a smart dude. An ivy league grad. He knows what he's doing to make the NFL as irreplaceable as humanely possible. A lesser commishiner might have put the NFL in a position to be shut down.

Is he a perfect leader? Hell no. But he's a lot better than he's given credit for.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Ball spinning - verboten.
Cut blocks - totally ok.

Not sure I get the line of thinking on that.

pehawk

Reaction score
What I love is last year he showed genuine concern for poor east coast teams, having to travel west and play at 4PM. It was an unfair disadvantage for those poor, poor East Coast teams. Its a genuine issue, and he's on the east coast teams side, thankfully. Also, suing MIA shows a lot of awareness. I'm glad he does that. Fining similar amounts for illegal hits and non-pulled up socks. Etc, etc, etc.

He's a great man.

This is a dumb post.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
It still amazes me that people don't know that the rules committee suggests rule changes and the owners either approve them or deny them, not Goodell. Goodell gets unfairly blamed for everything because of the ignorance of some fans. He maybe heavy handed with suspensions and fines but atleast he isn't looking the other way like that guy named Selig did in MLB.

pehawk

Reaction score
Gap Filler":1g71f4di said:
It still amazes me that people don't know that the rules committee suggests rule changes and the owners either approve them or deny them, not Goodell. Goodell gets unfairly blamed for everything because of the ignorance of some fans. He maybe heavy handed with suspensions and fines but atleast he isn't looking the other way like that guy named Selig did in MLB.

Yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, because the NFLPA and MLBPA are equals.

If you really think the Seahawks getting a perceived "sham" loss last year, would've made Roger move the same as when it occurred to the Packers, you're ignorant.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Gap Filler":3nfqc9vo said:
We fully realize that - he's still the commissioner and unless I'm totally ignorant - he could step up if player safety is really an issue to him.

He is the commissioner.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
pehawk":1xquti61 said:
If you really think the Seahawks getting a perceived "sham" loss last year, would've made Roger move the same as when it occurred to the Packers, you're ignorant.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about? It was on Monday Night Football lol. Everyone saw it. In todays media it doesn't matter who it happened to.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Wearing the wrong color shoes: $20k
Flipping Okung over your shoulder sending him to the IR: $2k

Yeah, he's brilliant.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":3fzgltk8 said:
What I love is last year he showed genuine concern for poor east coast teams, having to travel west and play at 4PM. It was an unfair disadvantage for those poor, poor East Coast teams. Its a genuine issue, and he's on the east coast teams side, thankfully. Also, suing MIA shows a lot of awareness. I'm glad he does that. Fining similar amounts for illegal hits and non-pulled up socks. Etc, etc, etc.

He's a great man.

This is a dumb post.

Pehawk - actually it is "funnier" than that. Look at the link below from last year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85396 ... p-pro-bowl

More from Goodell:

• The league is working on scheduling more East Coast games involving West Coast teams in late-afternoon slots to avoid what amounts to a 10 a.m. kickoff for the western teams.

What happened with that is the big question.........

JSeahawks

Reaction score
His is a job where he's never going to make everybody happy and he'll piss everyone off at times. Overall I think he's doing a good job. The one thing I don't like is all the overseas crap, I'm strongly against a London team or a London Super Bowl.

C-Dub

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":als3m9os said:
Gap Filler":als3m9os said:
We fully realize that - he's still the commissioner and unless I'm totally ignorant - he could step up if player safety is really an issue to him.

He is the commissioner.
He doesn't care directly about player safety. He cares about losing money for the owners.

He can lose money because players get injured in a specific way, so he throws a few rules out there to please the people even though they are inconsistent when flagged and/or fined.

Gap Filler

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":31zpmcbu said:
Gap Filler":31zpmcbu said:

He is the commissioner.

Nah I don't think most fans do fully realize that. You and I seem to. Listen around when people talk about Goodell. "Oh he's ruining the game, whats next 2 hand touch, you can't hit a guy anymore without a fine, its not even real football anymore, etc."

Thats because the NFL just got sued for a settlement north of 700 million for looking the other way for years on player injuries and concussions.

I'm not going to defend him completely but I will end with this...He is savvy as hell in negotiations. He schooled D.Smith and the NFLPA and e got what he wanted from the referee's union by killing pensions for new hires.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Once again let me highlite the fsct that goodell is not a bumbling fool. He knows what he's doing to keep the NFL alive and well. People like PE seem to think he's sitting around going " doh.... he wore the wrong color 40k fine! This guy hurt another guy. Lets only five him a 5k fine!" Everything he does is a result of outside influences dictating he doea business a certain way. If you don't like the way he does things hate the way the business is set up, but don't dump everything on Goodell

Bottom line is goddell is doing a good job priority #1 the long term health of the nfl
And more profit = more staying power. And the nfl is more profitable as ever

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Goodell represents the interests of the owners. All you Goodell haters need to man up and direct your hate towards where it belongs for the issues you have with the league instead of blaming the puppet on strings like good little sheeple.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
People like Pe need to understand that you can't dislike somebody who is just doing their job. Goodell is like the president; any hate directed at him makes you look stupid and uninformed.

I like it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That's a little overboard, Clumsy. You can definitely have criticism for people "just doing their jobs". Like Nazi scientists back in the day, to name one particularly egregious example.

pehawk

Reaction score
What I love is there's a lot of people that assume, PE doesn't have logic and reasoning for his stances. Or, he's not understanding enough of the situation to excuse Mr Allen from criticism. I'm not a Johnny Come Lately to the Goodell hate. When his hire was announced, I was writing for this site. I wrote a fairly strong article ripping the hire and laying out my concerns. It was omitted by the editor Doug Farrar.

Or, I just don't understand things and go along with what others say. That sounds like me too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I didn't say, and I don't think, that you lack logic and/or reasoning for your stances.

I'm just saying that no matter what you say, write, believe, think, or are "sure" of, Goodell represents the interests of the NFL owners. It's a trump card. It overrides everything.

pehawk

Reaction score
He represents the interests of the owners, yes. And those interests slant unfairly East for my like. If it wasn't for Russell Wilson being so marketable, Seattle would be another franchise Roger would not care about.

At first, I ripped Allen, assuming he's not being loud enough. But, as I've surveyed things the past few years, I've learned it may've not a difference.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
32 different owners makes it start to look like the problems congress has, just a bunch of in-house pissing on each other. Just a guess, obviously there's little in the way of public transparency in terms of what the NFL owners do, but yeah; I don't really have an opinion on Allen one way or the other as far as his quality of being an owner in terms of using his sway in the league, since there's a startling lack of evidence to back anything for all the owners.