These New Rules Are Ruining The Game

Sturm

Reaction score
Watching the Niners/Rams game tonight, I am getting increasingly frustrated with these ridiculous unsportsmanlike conduct rules. Donte Whitner's hit on Austin Pettis is a great example of this. As much as I hate the Niners, I thought that was a horrible call on Whitner for putting his shoulder into the receiver coming over the middle.

Mike Mayock, corporate lapdog, actually thought it was a good call because you're not suppoosed to hit the reciever above the shoulders...only the receiver was parallel with the ground as he was coming down with the ball. So what the hell is Whitner supposed to do?

rlkats

Reaction score
Agree soon it will be flag football. So long are the days of Lott Taylor and others killing players

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
I watch all -- or as many as I can -- NFCW games on a weekly basis. Same can be said
of a similar hit he made against the Colts last Sunday. The NFL, is Hell-Bent on removing
Whoo-hits from the game. That stated, both teams could complain about the Zebras tonight.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ That call against Whitner last week was even worse than this one. It was Kam-on-Vernon from last year levels bad.

This call was crap too, but at least the helmets actually made some glancing contact this time. Still though, I have to imagine defenders are getting pretty pissed off, particularly given that they're actually getting money taken out of their pockets while offensive lineman are taking them out at the knees without even a whistle.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
When the NFL starts losing fans because it is becoming pansy ball then they may re-evaluate those type of calls. I am still so sick of these taunting calls, talk about taking out that it is grown men not 6 year olds playing.

hawk45

Reaction score
I think the teams, like us, who still lay the wood will do it figuring that the benefit from having receivers develop alligator arms going over the middle outweighs a penalty here or there. Of course, have to dial that back in critical situations late in the game and just make the tackle.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Kixkahn":13fifvbq said:
When the NFL starts losing fans because it is becoming pansy ball then they may re-evaluate those type of calls. I am still so sick of these taunting calls, talk about taking out that it is grown men not 6 year olds playing.
Next month is pink uni month. I think they have a plan.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
It would slow down the game even more, but they should make every helmet-to-helmet and late hit penalty automatically reviewable. Referees are set up to fail trying to call these penalties in real time where you can't tell if the player went helmet to helmet or just got a shoulder in there.

OP
OP
S

Sturm

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":xg245p3v said:
It would slow down the game even more, but they should make every helmet-to-helmet and late hit penalty automatically reviewable. Referees are set up to fail trying to call these penalties in real time where you can't tell if the player went helmet to helmet or just got a shoulder in there.

Yeah, even this solution is better than them calling everything that looks close to a helmet to head hit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The NFL needs to redefine its protective gear in my opinion if they care so much.

Make each player wear custom fit light weight breathable under armor that has shock asorbent material that contours around each player muscle mass.

And maybe design shoulder pads with gel casings and shock asorbant material... so players can play fast, play physical and do less damage because their equipment is doing less damage. Its like putting a boxing glove over a bare fist.

They should also design a chin strap with more protective material as well as design the shoulder pads so its it provides more protecion from getting it under the chin.

And again they should have a month long NFL safety school over the summer for rookies and first year players that teaches these players proper hitting technique from all angles as well as how to utilize field awareness and self-defense in taking big hit.

Simply fining and flagging players isn't going to make concussions go away. They may be down but not out. No pun intended.

The NFL can do a lot more without dramatically taking the physicality out of the game. And even then they aren't really doing much but taking money away from players.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Nobody likes change.

The NFL is not headed to flag football. That over reaction is tired and weak. The NFL is trying to take the hard hit out of the game. The unintended consequence si more offense, which does sell well.

The NFL is trying to take attempts to hurt people out of the game. Get used to it. The collateral will be hard hits. Get used to it. As Dick Sure says, adapt or die.

OP
OP
S

Sturm

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3uykn9dr said:
Nobody likes change.

The NFL is not headed to flag football. That over reaction is tired and weak. The NFL is trying to take the hard hit out of the game. The unintended consequence si more offense, which does sell well.

The NFL is trying to take attempts to hurt people out of the game. Get used to it. The collateral will be hard hits. Get used to it. As Dick Sure says, adapt or die.

You can't take hard hits out of the game because they're ruining the game by doing this.

This all started when ex-players filed for a lawsuit against concussions since they weren't handled right during games. The league told referees to start calling penalties for cheap shots. Now that the lawsuit has been settled, there's no reason for them to keep calling these penalties. It won't help the game at all.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1pko0blf said:
Nobody likes change.

Hard hits are part of what make the game enjoyable to watch. Especially so for a Seahawks fan whose team's defense was tailor made to physically dominate the opposing offense in every way imaginable.