Did the Niner screw up letting Goldson go?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Reid has one hard hit (Goldson's specialty), and he knocks himself out on Rice's shoulder?

kearly

Reaction score
For me it's this: What is worth more? $6 million in cap space difference (4.8% of team total) or a 1st + 3rd round pick? To me, it's the probably the picks. For this move to be smart, Reid would have to be a superstar, and there was nothing on his college tape that made anyone think he'd be an upgrade over Goldson. Age is a factor too, but it's not like Goldson is old.

I think the lesson is, if you are a championship contending team and you can find a way to afford it, you keep your best players every time. The cash savings was used to sign Boldin, which helps, but overall I think they were better off keeping Goldson and finding ways to save money elsewhere.

They could have just signed Goldson back and drafted Hopkins. Money and picks would have been the same. And they'd still have a 6th rounder left over.

Baalke is over-rated.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I have to admit, I didn't think much of Reid and thought he was a mistake pick. But he's looked very good thus far and exceeded what I thought he'd provide to this point.

Also, at pick 31, it wasn't likely that Hopkins or Patterson would have fallen to them. While I agree, that Baalke is over rated, I do admire his ability to get more draft value in his trades than he gives up. Typically guys who drive those hard of bargains have difficulty finding willing trade partners. But Baalke does find a lot of takers. This draft is just so hard to judge because so many of those players won't be healthy enough to make noise this year.

kearly

Reaction score
They could have taken Hopkins with the Reid pick. Hopkins should have never lasted to the Texans pick.

IMO, I don't think Reid's looked all that great. Little bit of speed, little bit of pop, but for a guy who plays like a fast linebacker, you could probably see injuries coming given his lanky frame.

themunn

Reaction score
Goldson might hit hard but he's also good for a 15 yard penalty a game (and is certainly keeping up that reputation in Tampa)

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It looks to me like Reid is a better playmaker, but he if he can't be a thumper I don't know how he can fill the role that defense wants. Simply put, that defense needs it's intimidation actor. Last year, during the bet down, Goldson was a pissed off raging dude trying to hurt Seahawks.

The last thing the Niners want is for their thumper to be a candle.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Reid's production so far in two games is making his play a little over rated IMO. Both picks were pretty routine.

Agree with Kip completely. Hopkins + Golshon better than Reid + Boldin.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kearly":2gkftmu6 said:
For me it's this: What is worth more? $6 million in cap space difference (4.8% of team total) or a 1st + 3rd round pick? To me, it's the probably the picks. For this move to be smart, Reid would have to be a superstar, and there was nothing on his college tape that made anyone think he'd be an upgrade over Goldson. Age is a factor too, but it's not like Goldson is old.

I think the lesson is, if you are a championship contending team and you can find a way to afford it, you keep your best players every time. The cash savings was used to sign Boldin, which helps, but overall I think they were better off keeping Goldson and finding ways to save money elsewhere.

They could have just signed Goldson back and drafted Hopkins. Money and picks would have been the same. And they'd still have a 6th rounder left over.

Baalke is over-rated.

I think the part you're overlooking is that the 9ers weren't concerned about Goldson's salary this year (that's where Boldin comes from), it's the salary moving forward that was untenable for a safety that isn't the best in the league but was deadset on being paid as the best in the league (as the 9ers had learned from the two seasons before). Signing Boldin for the year is no different than you guys signing Bennett for the year -- these teams can do this because they're not paying for their QBs.

Both the 9ers and Hawks are in an essentially unrepeatable position in which they're getting QB play for nothing. Unless Kaep totally implodes this is the 9ers last year of that, and Kaep's 1.5 million dollar salary is going to turn into 15-20 million per year. The same will be true of Wilson in two years when his 500K salary turns into 15-20 million. (I'm assuming both of these guys stay on their trajectory). This is why you guys signed Avril for a two year deal, and no matter what he does, there's no way he's staying on the team longer than that. You're also going to have to let other talent go once you're paying Wilson what he deserves. It's just the reality of the NFL.

The 9ers have to resign Kaep, and also would like to resign Aldon Smith, and in an ideal world, Iupati and Crabtree too. Goldson just doesn't fit into that, and it's why your math is off about what they could have done instead.

I don't think the test of a GM is what he can do when he's got great QB play for nothing, the test of a GM is what he can do when he's playing with everyone else on a level salary field. The 9ers are already finding out this year and will really find out next year (see this year: Goldson, Walker, Sopoaga, Francois -- all players they would have liked to have kept, but they couldn't match those deals with Kaep 12 months away from breaking the bank), and the Hawks will start to find out next year and will really find out in two years.

As for Reid, injury aside, I wasn't a fan of the pick. So far though I think he has looked excellent in run support, and already better than Goldson (which isn't saying much) in coverage without even counting the picks he has gotten (one was a gift, the other a good play). He also isn't getting repeatedly penalized.

rlkats

Reaction score
AND Goldson has been suspended for one game due to his helmet to helmet hits. In which the league has said he has a past history or a repeat offeder. Goldson hurts his team for the wow ht but is horrible in coverage.

freezefail

Reaction score
Scottemojo":38czz1d6 said:
It looks to me like Reid is a better playmaker, but he if he can't be a thumper I don't know how he can fill the role that defense wants. Simply put, that defense needs it's intimidation actor. Last year, during the bet down, Goldson was a pissed off raging dude trying to hurt Seahawks.

The last thing the Niners want is for their thumper to be a candle.

Agreed. I love his play making ability so far, but he seems very fragile compared to goldson.

theENGLISHseahawk":38czz1d6 said:
Reid's production so far in two games is making his play a little over rated IMO. Both picks were pretty routine.

Agree with Kip completely. Hopkins + Golshon better than Reid + Boldin.

Aren't you downplaying him a bit too much? He's a rookie starter, and has been playing lights out (literally). Albiet not very head-strong (pun intended).
But serious note, the guy been flying down to the line to make tackles and lays down fairly good hits.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I think Reid's been actually playing pretty well. That hit on Rice was unfortunate for him but he's definitely got the play-making ability.

rjas77

Reaction score
Well...My take is if Reid received a concussion making a routine tackle on a receiver in his second game...he won't last long.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rjas77":3exftn13 said:
Well...My take is if Reid received a concussion making a routine tackle on a receiver in his second game...he won't last long.

Which might have to do with your unfamiliarity with concussions? They're really very flukey, and he doesn't have any history with them.

(FWIW he was also asymptomatic the next day).

rjas77

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13w34gjz said:
rjas77":13w34gjz said:

Which might have to do with your unfamiliarity with concussions? They're really very flukey, and he doesn't have any history with them.

(FWIW he was also asymptomatic the next day).

I know exactly how concussions concur. How many safeties in the past three years have received concussions by their own doing?

For example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwyHu9dHUxM

Reid...not so much...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rjas77":38foehoj said:
How many safeties in the past three years have received concussions by their own doing?

No idea. Off the top of my head, Tim McDonald used to get them. William James and Eric Wright (DBs, not safeties) have both had them too. That's just 9ers though.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Brandon Meriweather just gave himself one and I'm glad his dirty ass did

rjas77

Reaction score
Popeyejones":27ytfbsj said:
rjas77":27ytfbsj said:
How many safeties in the past three years have received concussions by their own doing?

No idea. Off the top of my head, Tim McDonald used to get them. William James and Eric Wright (DBs, not safeties) have both had them too. That's just 9ers though.

Where is Wright now? On Reserve/NFI List IIRC.

James? Who? Didn't hear from him too muc

McDonald...O.k....fine...He'd play through it, but this is the 2013 NFL and the receivers are MUCH bigger.

Point being...in 2013...at safety...you can't be getting concussions by you own doing makeing routine tackles and expect to be on the field much.

kearly

Reaction score
The Seahawks are stacked at WR, and I still kind of wish we hadn't made the Harvin trade and grabbed Hopkins instead. He's Roddy White 2.0. And it would have saved about $10 million a year for four years in cap space. I can only imagine how much stronger I'd feel about that if I were a 49ers fan with that WR crew they are running right now.

RE Goldson and penalties, great teams tend to lead the league in penalties, or at least they have recently. You play like an animal, you get laundry thrown your way. For a great player, it's a worthwhile tradeoff, especially for a team that is built around establishing physicality and intimidating opponents.

One nice thing I'll say about Reid, he's faster on the field than his 4.49 official time indicates. Him and Bowman are sneaky fast.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
kearly":66mrw95g said:
RE Goldson and penalties, great teams tend to lead the league in penalties, or at least they have recently. You play like an animal, you get laundry thrown your way. For a great player, it's a worthwhile tradeoff, especially for a team that is built around establishing physicality and intimidating opponents.

I could not agree more. I think some people want the number of penalties we had under Coach MH ( labeled a finess team by most ) and a big bruising team .

I don't think they go together. The bruising Teams tend to work by intimidation, hitting early and often ( sometimes late too. ) and forcing your will on the other team as you steamroll them with lynch . So the style almost seems to dictate you will have more penalties.

Vandelay

Reaction score
Goldson is a great great hitter, even to a detriment, but Reid is going to be a star. He is already head and shoulders above Goldson in coverage. Eric was known as a great hitter at LSU. He didnt have the senior year he wanted but his junior year he was amazing. Reid has 2 picks in 2 games and another was taken from him on a penalty. Very excited about his future and have him on rookie contract. Niners have lost nothin havin him on the field

Latest posts