A 49er fan died in their stadium today

JSeahawks

Reaction score
No matter what team he's a fan of, pretty sad.

An unidentified male died Sunday afternoon after falling from an elevated pedestrian walkway that circles San Francisco's Candlestick Park.

The victim, a 49ers fan in his 30s, was walking with his brother just after kickoff at the San Francisco 49ers game against the Green Bay Packers.

A San Francisco police rep told KTVU that witnesses thought the man looked intoxicated when he fell onto the sidewalk below.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/09/08/49er ... z2eMTD5vrJ

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks. I feel for his family/friends.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Uggh. That's terrible. The walkways in many stadiums are just a terrible idea in how they are set up. I can remember when a kid died at the Kingdome when I was there as he fell off one of the walkways. Horrible. I always wondered why they didn't have a netting system on them. There seems to be no problem in code as long as the thing is at the height of the average person plus about 12" above the waistline. This is how deck railings are judged and it makes no sense. If you are off balance then your center of balance when not staggering or falling makes no sense. A taller person, or somebody off balance can still topple.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sad some people due to excitement and environment may drink stuff they are not used to when buying rounds or being bought for and once the adreniline wears off find they are way to messed up to function. I could see that happening before a big game with GB.

To bad a day that is suppose to be a fun time turns into a tragedy for a family and a person.

RedAlice

Reaction score
This kind of thing makes me so sad. There is a reason I'm scared of stairs and escalators that seem high up, and far down off the sides.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Thinking back now... the kingdome DID install chain link fencing at the ends/overhangs, and hung up something similar to backstop netting in other places. I believe it took two deaths though. One kid was sitting on the edge that fell when I was there (those who visited the kingdome will remember that the sides of the walkways around the outer edge were a perfect sitting spot about 2-3 feet wide and easily reached by just putting your hands on and hopping up). It shouldn't have ever come to that though.

Candlestick creeps me out. I've only been there once, and I didn't even enter the stadium. We just went and checked it out from outside because my brother worked a few miles away and I was out there visiting him. I commented that the stadium seemed like a dangerous place, especially with the winds and cold and narrow walkways all over.

I remember riding an escalator from ground level up to the "loge" for a Padres game at "The Murph" and it was just stupid. It was a standard escalator just suspended from the ground up to the second deck straight behind home plate. It was crazy. They'd run it up before the game, and reverse it to a down escalator after. As far as I know it is still there. I'm not bad with heights, but I've been legitimately scared in a few stadiums. It seems like municipalities are willing to overlook some "design elements" thinking that they are fine with code... but you can't use the same code on a place holding 50,000+ people as you do on a home or office building.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
So sad. May he rest in peace.

Drinking... smh. You know, the game is much more entertaining to me when I am fully sober so I can analyze it with my best mind. Why drink at a football game of the team you love? That just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I would rather watch my team's games ALONE, away from other people, even fellow fans, because I find them to be a distraction.

Still, I don't mean to hate on alcohol, but I really don't think it brings anything useful for the true fan watching a game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3bc6r81f said:

Drinking... smh. You know, the game is much more entertaining to me when I am fully sober so I can analyze it with my best mind. Why drink at a football game of the team you love? That just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I would rather watch my team's games ALONE, away from other people, even fellow fans, because I find them to be a distraction.

Still, I don't mean to hate on alcohol, but I really don't think it brings anything useful for the true fan watching a game.

We used to have parties where people would fly all the way from the mainland to attend (in Hawaii). They were epic. 200-300 people. But few watch a game, or fight, with the same attention I do. It got to the point where I would take duct tape and make a square about 5'x5' on the floor. I would place my cooler and chair within the square and threaten bodily harm to anyone that stepped inside. Nothing worse than a loudmouth, coked out drunk, talking about shit he don't understand, interrupting your enjoyment by trying to get a reaction from you. I prefer to watch such events sober and alone with my wife these days. My condolences to this guy and I'm happy he didn't hurt or kill anyone else with his apparent poor judgement.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
When I saw this on the ticket, I knew for sure that alcohol was involved. Feel sorry for the family, though.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
HawkWow":2alvjo7u said:
5_Golden_Rings":2alvjo7u said:

We used to have parties where people would fly all the way from the mainland to attend (in Hawaii). They were epic. 200-300 people. But few watch a game, or fight, with the same attention I do. It got to the point where I would take duct tape and make a square about 5'x5' on the floor. I would place my cooler and chair within the square and threaten bodily harm to anyone that stepped inside. Nothing worse than a loudmouth, coked out drunk, talking about shit he don't understand, interrupting your enjoyment by trying to get a reaction from you. I prefer to watch such events sober and alone with my wife these days. My condolences to this guy and I'm happy he didn't hurt or kill anyone else with his apparent poor judgement.

I know this is a serious subject, but... my sides!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Absolutely sad. Condolences to his loved ones. Why are the 49ers still playing in Candlestick? I thought they got a new stadium in San Jose this year...

HawkWow

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":60yidxup said:
HawkWow":60yidxup said:
5_Golden_Rings":60yidxup said:

I know this is a serious subject, but... my sides!

LOL..you would have had to have been there. I love football, but boxing is my first passion. We'd have these massive parties at my Dad's place and half the guys there thought Felix Trinidad was a country. They'd get drunk and become experts. Worse, is they wanted to root against my fighter, no matter who he was, just to stir up shit. It became a problem and after many fights, cops, ambulances and over doses....a guy brought his wife with him and that was the last straw. We shut it all down. LOL.