NFLs most overpaid players

HereToRead

Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald?? I think any team would make room for him salary and all. They also had a couple players that just signed this off-season, how can they be overpaid if they haven't produced for their current contracts?

kearly

Reaction score
No WR should be paid $16 million per. Even 2012 Calvin Johnson, who broke records, hardly moved the needle for his football team. Fitz has always been overpaid just because the position isn't worth THAT much, but usually he keeps it close with his elite play. Last year though, he was not-so-elite. His being on this list for his tough 2012 season makes complete sense.

Paul Kruger is making four times his worth (and that was after a career year!). Yikes. John Carlson is making five times his worth, but that is no surprise if you followed the Vikings last year. Tim Ruskell knew how to find early bloomers, didn't he?

Axx

Reaction score
People who know Larry close say he's a cheap skate. He is the reason why his Tards suck so much. It's hard to get any good players when one position eats up all the cap space that' not QB or Adrian Peterson.

HawkWow

Reaction score
This is a time in the NFL when players are no longer players....they are entertainers and expect to be paid based on that notion. Brad Pitt rakes in 25 mil a movie. Fitz a bit more than half of that for an entire season. This is the new mindset.

Do I think any WR should get more than $10 mil per? Hell no. IMO, there's not a player / entertainer in the league (inc Manning, Rodgers and Brady) worth that much money. And I think these inflated (non-QB) salaries will soon be a thing of the past. In fact, very soon.

HereToRead

Reaction score
kearly":1uq3cmla said:
No WR should be paid $16 million per. Even 2012 Calvin Johnson, who broke records, hardly moved the needle for his football team. Fitz has always been overpaid just because the position isn't worth THAT much, but usually he keeps it close with his elite play. Last year though, he was not-so-elite. His being on this list for his tough 2012 season makes complete sense.

Paul Kruger is making four times his worth (and that was after a career year!). Yikes. John Carlson is making five times his worth, but that is no surprise if you followed the Vikings last year. Tim Ruskell knew how to find early bloomers, didn't he?

I think Fitzgerald suffered from not having a QB or O Line last year. Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer i dont think any WR would be elite with those guys throwing the ball.
Would you trade Sidney Rice for Fitzgerald and it only cost 500k more against the cap?
I would also nominate Pierre Garcon as more overpaid than Fitzgerald.

I also feel like that lists logic is flawed, by just averaging their yearly salaries, some players are scheduled to make 20 mil in one season and they will never see it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Notice how besides RJF and the Niners, they're all pretty bad teams.

13thMan

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think RJF plays for the Niners... I believe he went to the Bears in FA? Anyway, I think it might be referring to his latest contract that he just signed for his new team. Again, I may be way off on this...

look@dafilm

Reaction score
13thMan":1edfraty said:
I could be wrong but I don't think RJF plays for the Niners... I believe he went to the Bears in FA? Anyway, I think it might be referring to his latest contract that he just signed for his new team. Again, I may be way off on this...

lol, you're right. RJF is overpaid people, but he's not a 49er nor a Bear for that matter, he plays for the Colts now. the colts signed him away in the off-season for about $25 mil over 4 years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
look@dafilm":sbhnsadv said:
13thMan":sbhnsadv said:

lol, you're right. RJF is overpaid people, but he's not a 49er nor a Bear for that matter, he plays for the Colts now. the colts signed him away in the off-season for about $25 mil over 4 years.

Correct. His position is one the 49ers were looking to upgrade. I was stunned when I saw what he got from Indy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
My bad...I thought that's what he was making when with the Niners...so in that case, notice how all of the overpaid players are on crappy teams.

kearly

Reaction score
Reading through that list of NFL franchises by value, it is a reminder that for all the truckloads of money the NFL makes, it spends a ton of money too. The Seahawks only managed $28 million in profit last season. That's less than quite a few individual Hollywood movies made in profit that same year. Or to put it another way, at such a rate of profit it would take just short of 20 years of saving up just to build another stadium. It's amazing how the NFL makes billions and dominates American sports, and yet the margins are still relatively tight even for some of the stronger franchises.

kearly

Reaction score
HereToRead":uu30xmdn said:
I think Fitzgerald suffered from not having a QB or O Line last year. Kolb, Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer i dont think any WR would be elite with those guys throwing the ball.
Would you trade Sidney Rice for Fitzgerald and it only cost 500k more against the cap?
I would also nominate Pierre Garcon as more overpaid than Fitzgerald.

I also feel like that lists logic is flawed, by just averaging their yearly salaries, some players are scheduled to make 20 mil in one season and they will never see it.

No, I wouldn't. And it's not even remotely close to being worth consideration.

#1: Fitz did suffer from QB play obviously, but it was the same group of QBs the year before when he had 1400+ yards. If you actually watched Fitzgerald closely, he was definitely having a down year. In the two games against the Seahawks, Richard Sherman had more catches and touchdowns covering Fitz than Fitz had himself. The year prior, he abused Sherman (who himself played a great game) and put the team on his back during a heroic week 17 victory over the Seahawks. Fitz's efficiency stats TANKED last season and he was actually among the worst receivers per target on his own team. He's a HoFer, a total class act, and I think he bounces back this year, but he legitimately struggled in 2012.

#2: Their cap hits are only similar this year. Fitz's cap hit leaps up to $18 million, $21.25 million, $18.25 million, $15 million, and $15 million over the next five years, and those are for his age 31-35 seasons. His dead money number is a whopping $23 million, which makes approaching for restructure difficult. Rice's dead money number is only $3.6 million. Those huge cap hits come at the same time that Seattle would need to find tens of millions for Wilson and Sherman, so I'd consider Fitzgerald to be a massively negative asset, even if he regained his previous form.

#3: Sidney Rice is (almost exactly) 3 years younger.

#4: Fitz is very likely to be released in the next couple years, IMO. I'd just wait til then to sign him on a Welker-esque deal.

I agree that Garcon is overpaid. I drafted him in fantasy last year and it was a major letdown. He did little to change my mind in the playoff game. Browner and Sherman made him their bitch.

Agreed that guaranteed money should have been a factor, but then deciding salary vs. guaranteed money becomes a balancing act and therefore arbitrary/subjective, which is something I think they wanted to avoid. Still, you make a valid point.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
NO NFL Player is overpaid. This is garbage.
Players are paid what the market thinks they are worth.
Besides expecting players to produce, teams have to create conditions for their success. If the Cardinals pay LF 16millions and tell me to throw to him (I have never played QB), seriously how to you blame LF for it? He can't throw to himself.
I agree with Boomer Esaison who said. "Football is a multi billion $$ business. If players don't get the money, others (Owners???) will. Players risk their lives to play this game. They can get injured at any moment. Their career span is maybe 10 years, where they have to maximize their earnings. ".
Teams are starting to pay QBs 1/4 of a team's salary cap. Meaning, the rest of the team (50+ players) will get peanuts ... This is a seriously bad trend in football. But I don't know how to stop it.
Joe

rideaducati

Reaction score
joeseahawks":24rai52v said:
NO NFL Player is overpaid. This is garbage.
Players are paid what the market thinks they are worth.
Besides expecting players to produce, teams have to create conditions for their success. If the Cardinals pay LF 16millions and tell me to throw to him (I have never played QB), seriously how to you blame LF for it? He can't throw to himself.
I agree with Boomer Esaison who said. "Football is a multi billion $$ business. If players don't get the money, others (Owners???) will. Players risk their lives to play this game. They can get injured at any moment. Their career span is maybe 10 years, where they have to maximize their earnings. ".
Teams are starting to pay QBs 1/4 of a team's salary cap. Meaning, the rest of the team (50+ players) will get peanuts ... This is a seriously bad trend in football. But I don't know how to stop it.
Joe

I think it's going to take a great QB that is due a big contract to take less than market contract. He will have to be outspoken as to why he took less money. If he notices a trend among all the QBs that have gotten paid recently, he will see that the "teams" are actually getting worse because too much money has been allocated to one player and there isn't enough left to pay the players that made said QB look good. It's pretty sad that the players union did all that fighting just so QBs could get paid.

TDBinOLY

Reaction score
I was going to say Tony Romo, what with his fat new contract. But, the Dallas O-line is mediocre at best... Maybe he's a great QB suffering a poor system.

Dallas might as well start five of the cheerleaders at O-line......and free up some cap for next year. They aren't paid much.