What's something a 49er fan doesn't know about the hawks?

SF-Wald

Reaction score
This isn't a trash talk thread. I am a big 49er fan but I'm not blinded by homerism. I respect the Hawks' talent and look forward to a battle for the division crown.
On that note I know an Ok amount about the seahawks (starting players, great addition of talent by PC and JS after exodus of many players, ect) but I do not have an in depth knowledge of the team.
What are some things that a niner fan should know about the hawks? What are some misconceptions? Who are some unheralded players to date that will break out? Overrated/underrated players? Any insight into the Hawks offensive and defensive schemes, ect....

Finally, if you have some questions about the 49ers (idk if you will) but I'd be more than happy to civilly and honestly discuss the team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is not a running QB; he's a QB who happens to run sometimes. I've heard a lot of talk about "Keep RW in the pocket and he'll struggle." It's a common misconception, but he actually had a higher percentage and more TD's in the pocket.

I guess it's similar to the "Kaep is a one-read QB" belief.

kinesmajor

Reaction score
Nothing. 9er fans know everything.

Move along nothing to see here.

OP
OP
S

SF-Wald

Reaction score
-The Glove-":282xekhr said:
Russell Wilson is not a running QB; he's a QB who happens to run sometimes. I've heard a lot of talk about "Keep RW in the pocket and he'll struggle." It's a common misconception, but he actually had a higher percentage and more TD's in the pocket.

I guess it's similar to the "Kaep is a one-read QB" belief.

Thanks for a real response, as opposed to some others. If you look at Russel Wilson's passing stats last year and still believe he is a "running/gimmick read option QB," then you know absolutely nothing about football. 64% completion percentage and 26tds to 10 Ints for a rookie! That is amazing. He will be scary with his work ethic.

On a side note I'll just point out that Kaep has a similar work ethic. Many days he shows up before 6am and is consistently the first player in the facility and one of the last to leave. He may not come off as such a diligent worker like the robot-like Wilson, but actions are more important than perceptions. Both RW and Kaep put in hours like elite Qbs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Few people know that Breno likes long walks on the beach, sipping pina colada's in the rain and the smooth jazz stylings of Kenny G.

Basis4day

Reaction score
1. Russell Wilson is actually a better QB when in the pocket (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ket-or-out).
2. We don't run Read Option nearly has much as is perceived. Wilson equates it to a change up in baseball.
3. Pass rush is not yet our strength (I see it perceived this way when reading national columns).
4. The offense is based around Lynch and the running game to set up play action.
5. Richard Sherman is the real deal.

hawker84

Reaction score
one misconception i see a lot is our recieving core is mediocre at best and we're in big trouble now that Harvins out.

Not true, with the current offense we run, we spread the ball around a lot, not to mention we're a run first team. We don't have a true #1 reciever that's going to get 12 to 15 targets a game and a 100yrds. which is why you'll probably never see a 1000+ yrd reciever on this team in it's current form. People equate the small numbers to mediocracy, but the fact is, we have several very good recievers who all contribute at one point or another with a crucial play or two.

Harvin was icing on the cake, to lose him hurt no doubt, but we still had one of the highest scoring offenses in the league the second half of last year without him. Every starting WR is back, and we've added much better depth.. Harvin will be missed but we'll be just fine without him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
SF-Wald":2rnkxtf5 said:
kinesmajor":2rnkxtf5 said:

Aren't you perpetuating a negative stereotype by instantly being sarcastic and dismissive? I said I am a niner fan and wanted to learn about the seahawks while discussing both teams civilly and honestly. I didn't say anything about knowing everything....

He's messing with you. Good subject BTW.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":p3jiwe1p said:
Few people know that Breno likes long walks on the beach, sipping pina colada's in the rain and the smooth jazz stylings of Kenny G.

Be honest, is this why you and the wife split? :sarcasm_off:

themunn

Reaction score
Our defense is the reason we aren't superbowl champions and not our offense

OP
OP
S

SF-Wald

Reaction score
Basis4day":18xij65c said:
1. Russell Wilson is actually a better QB when in the pocket (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ket-or-out).
2. We don't run Read Option nearly has much as is perceived. Wilson equates it to a change up in baseball.
3. Pass rush is not yet our strength (I see it perceived this way when reading national columns).
4. The offense is based around Lynch and the running game to set up play action.

I would think most national columns attribute the Seahawks' defensive strength to the secondary over the pass rush.

For the niners people equate the pistol with the read option. The pistol is a formation which has nothing to do with running the read option (it can, but it isn't necessary). PEYTON MANNING ran the pistol formation in the preseason. It is just a wrinkle to our offense, not the entire thing.

Also, with respect to Aldon Smith, I believe he is both underrated and overrated. The man set the record for most sacks in his first two seasons. Number two and three are Reggie White and Derrick Thomas--- pretty good company. You don't get that many sacks solely because Justin Smith plays next to you. So he is definitely an elite pass rusher. However, last year Cameron Wake, JJ Watt and Von Miller were all better than Aldon. He may become better than some of those players, but going by last years play he wasn't a top 7 player in the league like the Players Top 100 list said.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":phchn18j said:
SF-Wald":phchn18j said:
kinesmajor":phchn18j said:

Aren't you perpetuating a negative stereotype by instantly being sarcastic and dismissive? I said I am a niner fan and wanted to learn about the seahawks while discussing both teams civilly and honestly. I didn't say anything about knowing everything....

He's messing with you. Good subject BTW.

No shit. You're a 9'er fan in Hawks land. You have to be prepared to take some of the business and not whine like a toddler when somebody gives it to you. That wasn't even all that bad business...

I have to concur with what others have said; Wilson is actually a statistically better quarterback inside the pocket. I look forward to teams wasting all this extra manpower keeping spies and crap on him out of some great fear of his ability to kill them outside the pocket, only to disect their defense now that it's a man down in coverage...

HawkHouse

Reaction score
Ah yes, my Hawk brethren roll out the welcome mat to yet another division rival, lol

We appreciate you being civil and well spoken fan of the opposition sir. Most folks of such persuasion are welcome to join discussions here, even though you are "The Enemy". Thing is, there's been alot of Niner fans around here lately sniffing around (I personally think you guys are getting nervous, but I digress)

Some of us have had some pretty messed up interactions with other fans in the past. So take what flak you may have tossed your way with a grain of salt ...

That being said, I think Golden Tate could see some big numbers this year, just a gut feeling though

Basis4day

Reaction score
SF-Wald":38msnk5d said:
Basis4day":38msnk5d said:

I would think most national columns attribute the Seahawks' defensive strength to the secondary over the pass rush.

For the niners people equate the pistol with the read option. The pistol is a formation which has nothing to do with running the read option (it can, but it isn't necessary). PEYTON MANNING ran the pistol formation in the preseason. It is just a wrinkle to our offense, not the entire thing.

Also, with respect to Aldon Smith, I believe he is both underrated and overrated. The man set the record for most sacks in his first two seasons. Number two and three are Reggie White and Derrick Thomas--- pretty good company. You don't get that many sacks solely because Justin Smith plays next to you. So he is definitely an elite pass rusher. However, last year Cameron Wake, JJ Watt and Von Miller were all better than Aldon. He may become better than some of those players, but going by last years play he wasn't a top 7 player in the league like the Players Top 100 list said.

Secondary is the main strength no doubt. But the there was a national perspective that our pass rush was a strength. Excited to see what our off-season additions mean. The GB game gave a false impression.

That reminds me...

6. Tate caught it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1k0e0zqk said:
Sgt. Largent":1k0e0zqk said:

Be honest, is this why you and the wife split? :sarcasm_off:

No, my wife kept complaining about me not respecting her privacy. She didn't tell me that directly, but that's what she keeps scribbling in her diary.

Tical21

Reaction score
We're jealous of your success and toughness and are obsessed with making you jealous of our success and toughness.

We also don't think there is any possible way you can beat us without Crabtree. Your receivers against our secondary? C'mon. You had better hope Gore can run between the guards at will against us again because that is the only chance you got.

drdiags

Reaction score
Our return game is going to suffer with the loss of Leon Washington. Harvin would have made KR an improvement but PR is a big unknown. Tate will have first shot and can be dynamic but LW had some key returns last year that helped turn key games around (Patriots is one example).

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nerd7uf said:
No, my wife kept complaining about me not respecting her privacy. She didn't tell me that directly, but that's what she keeps scribbling in her diary.

Funny - might steal that one