Gus Bradley

NINEster

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the change at defensive coordinator, and whether Bradley will be able to improve the defense in Jacksonville?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Watching the Jags a bit this year. No hated towards them. One of the few teams i can say that for. Sad we lost Bradley. Hell of a coach. Like Quinn a lot from what im seeing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nice guy, but severely overrated as a D-coord.
I'm in the minority opinion on this here but I'm glad he's gone, he was "the weak link" IMHO. Passive soft zone play calling and schemes held this team back, Quinn will be an improvement........once again, one guy's opinion.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think Bradley was a good D-Coordinator, but I honestly think Quinn is better. When Quinn was the D-line coach here before, there were a bunch of defensive looks that disappeared with him when he went to coach College ball. That tells me that he had a big fingerprint on this Defense even when Bradley was the Coordinator over him. Now that Quinn is in charge, I think this D takes another step forward and is going to be a bit more aggressive. The one area I think Bradley was bad was going too often into a zone coverage late in games instead of going for the kill. There were at least 4 games that the Defense was called poorly and it cost us or nearly cost us the game. With the amount of talent on this Defense, there is no excuse to not man up and shut the other team down when they are desperate.

Bradley will be able to help the Jacksonville D be more disciplined and should turn them into a solid unit once he gets the personnel he wants on that side of the ball. Might take a few years just like it did in Seattle. The only difference is he won't have Carroll and Schneider to help him.

Mick063

Reaction score
Bradley is excellent at what he does. Just look at the previous regime for comparison. I hope he has a long successful career at Jacksonville.

I'll bet a lot of Ex-Seahawks end up on his roster. If so, I will want to watch them.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
since I been watching football on a every sunday basis (2002) I never looked forward to Raiders and Jaguars games . This year is different though ( Flynn and Bradley). I will be tuning into there games a lot more often to see whats up . I want both to succeed too.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Honestly I looked at him as the caretaker of Pete's baby, he also applied his philosophies to it, but we went base set a lot with him.

Quinn is supposedly a bit more aggressive, its also showing with the players they've brought in with Avril, Schofield, moving Irvin to LB to cause confusion when they go spinner (Clemons, Bennett, Avril, all on the line with Irvin roaming around pre-snap looking for an entry point to the backfield, this is also something Pete is known for). Look for the same defense last year, just a lot more aggressive, QB's beware.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Best scoring D in the league. Worst D in the league in the last two minutes. How much of that was Bradley, how much was Pete? I guess we will see.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1wiaqi58 said:
Best scoring D in the league. Worst D in the league in the last two minutes. How much of that was Bradley, how much was Pete? I guess we will see.

BINGO!

pehawk

Reaction score
Bradley will be a GREAT head coach. He was a superior play caller, last two minutes aside.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Bradley choked when we needed him most. The defense is mostly Pete's brainchild, but Bradley made the calls. His decision to play zone defense against Atlanta in the waning seconds of the game was questionable, especially when the strength of this team is press man coverage. Frustrating. I am not sad to see him leave.

I think Dan Quinn is the better defensive mastermind. He's not afraid to keep his foot on the gas the entire game. He's not allergic to the blitz.

pehawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1el035ps said:
Bradley choked when we needed him most. The defense is mostly Pete's brainchild, but Bradley made the calls. His decision to play zone defense against Atlanta in the waning seconds of the game was questionable, especially when the strength of this team is press man coverage. Frustrating. I am not sad to see him leave.

I think Dan Quinn is the better defensive mastermind. He's not afraid to keep his foot on the gas the entire game. He's not allergic to the blitz.

I do agree with Bradley being a VERY poor play-caller when it counted. But, that doesn't take away from the fact he made excellent calls for usually 59 minutes a game. Converting from a DC (or OC) to HC is all about play-calling, IMO. Bradley seemed very skilled in calling plays. It should turn out well for the Jags.

And, the transition will turn out well for the Hawks too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1s911l3y said:
I think Bradley was a good D-Coordinator, but I honestly think Quinn is better. When Quinn was the D-line coach here before, there were a bunch of defensive looks that disappeared with him when he went to coach College ball. That tells me that he had a big fingerprint on this Defense even when Bradley was the Coordinator over him. Now that Quinn is in charge, I think this D takes another step forward and is going to be a bit more aggressive. The one area I think Bradley was bad was going too often into a zone coverage late in games instead of going for the kill. There were at least 4 games that the Defense was called poorly and it cost us or nearly cost us the game. With the amount of talent on this Defense, there is no excuse to not man up and shut the other team down when they are desperate.

Bradley will be able to help the Jacksonville D be more disciplined and should turn them into a solid unit once he gets the personnel he wants on that side of the ball. Might take a few years just like it did in Seattle. The only difference is he won't have Carroll and Schneider to help him.

Bradley was better than some here think, and probably not quite as good as a lot of think he was. I also hate when DC's go to a soft zone after you've been killing a team all game, and they still haven't figured out your defense or any exploitable matchups, and then you switch up and go to a soft zone so they can move the ball on you easier. I can't stand it.

Bradley was probably better than a lot of us realize in that he was the only one retained when Pete and John took over. He must've impressed both of them as they didn't look to replace him. I don't know how he'll do as a HC...but the Jags defense should get better. Jim Zorn was quoted as getting some advice from Holmgren that went something like "stick with what you're good at, and hire someone else that is better than you in the other areas".

ensett

Reaction score
I think its hard to say how much Bradley was responsible for any defensive success because he just wasnt that aggressive or complex. Our defense has seemed very simple, but with good enough players to make it work

Uffda

Reaction score
If Bradley gets the time to mold the jags , are still afew years and drafts way I believe.

Exittium

Reaction score
Bradley's a good guy and all but I think at times he was gun shy with out powerful D, I don't SO FAR (nothing saying it will change) get that vibe from Quinn.. he seems to enjoy bringing a lot of pressure which is fine.. On a side note.. not impressed by our O-line still... I don't enjoy seeing Wilson scramble, I mean this could be in combination with some WR's lack of being able to get open as well, but yeah so far I like what we got and I'm sad we have to cut so much talent... hard choices

pehawk

Reaction score
You're not happy with the OL?

Has Marshaun heard this?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I definitely think the Jags defense will improve under the Bradley regime, but I don't think he'll be a successful head coach there. There offense is going to be historically bad this year.

Sac

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2zdqidhr said:
I definitely think the Jags defense will improve under the Bradley regime, but I don't think he'll be a successful head coach there. There offense is going to be historically bad this year.

Matt Scott says otherwise.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I disagree about their offense, Jones-Drew is back, Blackmon is legit and can threaten on the outside, and the offensive line will improve with the new LT; not to mention they are going against some "ok" defenses in the AFC south. Outside of the Texans not other team really looks too intimidating on defense.

Really, the Jags need to solve their pass rush problems to get any kind of turn around sparked. I would put the burden more so on the defense than blame the offense. I still think 6 wins isn't out of the question for them.

Latest posts