Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post subject: Gus Bradley
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:18 pm 
NET Rookie

What are your thoughts on the change at defensive coordinator, and whether Bradley will be able to improve the defense in Jacksonville?

Post subject: Re: Gus Bradley
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Watching the Jags a bit this year. No hated towards them. One of the few teams i can say that for. Sad we lost Bradley. Hell of a coach. Like Quinn a lot from what im seeing.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
NET Veteran

Nice guy, but severely overrated as a D-coord.
I'm in the minority opinion on this here but I'm glad he's gone, he was "the weak link" IMHO. Passive soft zone play calling and schemes held this team back, Quinn will be an improvement........once again, one guy's opinion.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Last edited by Sports Hernia on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:40 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

I think Bradley was a good D-Coordinator, but I honestly think Quinn is better. When Quinn was the D-line coach here before, there were a bunch of defensive looks that disappeared with him when he went to coach College ball. That tells me that he had a big fingerprint on this Defense even when Bradley was the Coordinator over him. Now that Quinn is in charge, I think this D takes another step forward and is going to be a bit more aggressive. The one area I think Bradley was bad was going too often into a zone coverage late in games instead of going for the kill. There were at least 4 games that the Defense was called poorly and it cost us or nearly cost us the game. With the amount of talent on this Defense, there is no excuse to not man up and shut the other team down when they are desperate.

Bradley will be able to help the Jacksonville D be more disciplined and should turn them into a solid unit once he gets the personnel he wants on that side of the ball. Might take a few years just like it did in Seattle. The only difference is he won't have Carroll and Schneider to help him.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
NET Rookie

Bradley is excellent at what he does. Just look at the previous regime for comparison. I hope he has a long successful career at Jacksonville.

I'll bet a lot of Ex-Seahawks end up on his roster. If so, I will want to watch them.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm 
NET Veteran

since I been watching football on a every sunday basis (2002) I never looked forward to Raiders and Jaguars games . This year is different though ( Flynn and Bradley). I will be tuning into there games a lot more often to see whats up . I want both to succeed too.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 am 
* NET Baller *

Honestly I looked at him as the caretaker of Pete's baby, he also applied his philosophies to it, but we went base set a lot with him.

Quinn is supposedly a bit more aggressive, its also showing with the players they've brought in with Avril, Schofield, moving Irvin to LB to cause confusion when they go spinner (Clemons, Bennett, Avril, all on the line with Irvin roaming around pre-snap looking for an entry point to the backfield, this is also something Pete is known for). Look for the same defense last year, just a lot more aggressive, QB's beware.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Best scoring D in the league. Worst D in the league in the last two minutes. How much of that was Bradley, how much was Pete? I guess we will see.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 am 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
Best scoring D in the league. Worst D in the league in the last two minutes. How much of that was Bradley, how much was Pete? I guess we will see.

BINGO!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:51 am 
* Report Button *

Bradley will be a GREAT head coach. He was a superior play caller, last two minutes aside.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Bradley choked when we needed him most. The defense is mostly Pete's brainchild, but Bradley made the calls. His decision to play zone defense against Atlanta in the waning seconds of the game was questionable, especially when the strength of this team is press man coverage. Frustrating. I am not sad to see him leave.

I think Dan Quinn is the better defensive mastermind. He's not afraid to keep his foot on the gas the entire game. He's not allergic to the blitz.

Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:28 am 
* Report Button *

SmokinHawk wrote:
Bradley choked when we needed him most. The defense is mostly Pete's brainchild, but Bradley made the calls. His decision to play zone defense against Atlanta in the waning seconds of the game was questionable, especially when the strength of this team is press man coverage. Frustrating. I am not sad to see him leave.

I think Dan Quinn is the better defensive mastermind. He's not afraid to keep his foot on the gas the entire game. He's not allergic to the blitz.

I do agree with Bradley being a VERY poor play-caller when it counted. But, that doesn't take away from the fact he made excellent calls for usually 59 minutes a game. Converting from a DC (or OC) to HC is all about play-calling, IMO. Bradley seemed very skilled in calling plays. It should turn out well for the Jags.

And, the transition will turn out well for the Hawks too.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 am 
NET Veteran

HawkFan72 wrote:
I think Bradley was a good D-Coordinator, but I honestly think Quinn is better. When Quinn was the D-line coach here before, there were a bunch of defensive looks that disappeared with him when he went to coach College ball. That tells me that he had a big fingerprint on this Defense even when Bradley was the Coordinator over him. Now that Quinn is in charge, I think this D takes another step forward and is going to be a bit more aggressive. The one area I think Bradley was bad was going too often into a zone coverage late in games instead of going for the kill. There were at least 4 games that the Defense was called poorly and it cost us or nearly cost us the game. With the amount of talent on this Defense, there is no excuse to not man up and shut the other team down when they are desperate.

Bradley will be able to help the Jacksonville D be more disciplined and should turn them into a solid unit once he gets the personnel he wants on that side of the ball. Might take a few years just like it did in Seattle. The only difference is he won't have Carroll and Schneider to help him.

Bradley was better than some here think, and probably not quite as good as a lot of think he was. I also hate when DC's go to a soft zone after you've been killing a team all game, and they still haven't figured out your defense or any exploitable matchups, and then you switch up and go to a soft zone so they can move the ball on you easier. I can't stand it.

Bradley was probably better than a lot of us realize in that he was the only one retained when Pete and John took over. He must've impressed both of them as they didn't look to replace him. I don't know how he'll do as a HC...but the Jags defense should get better. Jim Zorn was quoted as getting some advice from Holmgren that went something like "stick with what you're good at, and hire someone else that is better than you in the other areas".

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 am 
NET Veteran

I think its hard to say how much Bradley was responsible for any defensive success because he just wasnt that aggressive or complex. Our defense has seemed very simple, but with good enough players to make it work

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 pm 
NET Veteran

If Bradley gets the time to mold the jags , are still afew years and drafts way I believe.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 pm 
NET Veteran

Bradley's a good guy and all but I think at times he was gun shy with out powerful D, I don't SO FAR (nothing saying it will change) get that vibe from Quinn.. he seems to enjoy bringing a lot of pressure which is fine.. On a side note.. not impressed by our O-line still... I don't enjoy seeing Wilson scramble, I mean this could be in combination with some WR's lack of being able to get open as well, but yeah so far I like what we got and I'm sad we have to cut so much talent... hard choices

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 pm 
* Report Button *

You're not happy with the OL?

Has Marshaun heard this?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 pm 
NET Starter

I definitely think the Jags defense will improve under the Bradley regime, but I don't think he'll be a successful head coach there. There offense is going to be historically bad this year.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

NorthDallas40oz wrote:
I definitely think the Jags defense will improve under the Bradley regime, but I don't think he'll be a successful head coach there. There offense is going to be historically bad this year.

Matt Scott says otherwise.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:00 am 
NET Veteran

I disagree about their offense, Jones-Drew is back, Blackmon is legit and can threaten on the outside, and the offensive line will improve with the new LT; not to mention they are going against some "ok" defenses in the AFC south. Outside of the Texans not other team really looks too intimidating on defense.

Really, the Jags need to solve their pass rush problems to get any kind of turn around sparked. I would put the burden more so on the defense than blame the offense. I still think 6 wins isn't out of the question for them.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Bradley was good except in the final few minutes of 4th quarters. Though, he was definitely allergic to blitzing. Funny, when I complained during the tail end of the season about his last-minute switches to zone at the end of 4th quarters, I was mostly maligned for it at the time...

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 am 
NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
Bradley likes the front four to generate pressure, I think, so that's one place where Jacksonville needs to improve rapidly. The good news for Bradley is that the Colts and Titans suck and honestly, the Texans aren't exactly the Patriots (even the crippled, injured, no safety-play Patriots) when it comes down to crunch-time, so if they draft right, he can win that division in the next two or three years.

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 am 
* Report Button *

Smelly McUgly wrote:
Bradley likes the front four to generate pressure, I think, so that's one place where Jacksonville needs to improve rapidly. The good news for Bradley is that the Colts and Titans suck and honestly, the Texans aren't exactly the Patriots (even the crippled, injured, no safety-play Patriots) when it comes down to crunch-time, so if they draft right, he can win that division in the next two or three years.

Word.

And, I really liked their draft and what it means for their offense. Just like Boise State and the WAC is where offensive innovation begins, Jacksonville should be that for the NFL. It's just a 2nd rate franchise, pure and simple. That should be a place where crazy new ideas are tried out. That's why I always felt Tebow should've gotten a shot there. But, I hope some of those draft picks, like Denard, get a shot to run a series or two.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:43 am 
NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
pehawk wrote:
But, I hope some of those draft picks, like Denard, get a shot to run a series or two.

This might sound stupid, but I hope they bring back the Wildcat. Denard Robinson can actually throw the football, so a modified Wildcat might well work in their case.

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *

Gus getting a little love from Don Banks. Though not sure if I would go with the Tony Dungy reference

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130814/jacksonville-jaguars-gus-bradley/

Quote:
It's difficult to overestimate the degree of enthusiasm the Jaguars players have for Bradley and the atmospheric change the former Seattle defensive coordinator has brought to a deflated locker room in his few short months on the job. In my years of covering the NFL, I can remember witnessing only one other similar honeymoon between a first-time head coach and the perennial loser he inherited: Tony Dungy's inaugural offseason in Tampa Bay in 1996, when his calm and consistent approach with the Bucs helped lay the foundation for the turnaround of the NFL's worst franchise.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2byJOuSWV

Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 am 
* Report Button *

Smelly McUgly wrote:
pehawk wrote:
But, I hope some of those draft picks, like Denard, get a shot to run a series or two.

This might sound stupid, but I hope they bring back the Wildcat. Denard Robinson can actually throw the football, so a modified Wildcat might well work in their case.

Totally agree! And, don't fret, they are bringing it back with Denard. I cant remember, but they drafted a few other multi-positional types as well.

From the outside it looks like Bradley's going Patera down in Jax. Some trickery to even the odds a bit. Love it...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:26 pm 
NET Veteran

If you enjoy heart breaking lost caused by a collapsing defense then you'll love Gus.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:12 am 
NET Veteran

Sports Hernia wrote:
Nice guy, but severely overrated as a D-coord.
I'm in the minority opinion on this here but I'm glad he's gone, he was "the weak link" IMHO. Passive soft zone play calling and schemes held this team back, Quinn will be an improvement........once again, one guy's opinion.

You are not alone on this, I was not sad to see him leave. Wish him the best though..

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm 
* NET Nobody *

FWIW, I think Gus is a very good DC but I worry about his overall confidence as a head coach since he has so little experience as a guy in charge. But he will definitely improve that defense and I think give the offense a boost in doing so. I think he will have some success, maybe even make the playoffs, but I don't see a championship in his future.

A lot has to do with the talent on the team though. Look at the Dolphins, imaho, Don Philbin is a weak head coach yet he is having success in Miami. He inherited a pretty good defense then was smart enough to hire Tannehill's old coach and draft the QB. I believe Gus is a much better coach than Philbin but the Jaguars don't have a lot of talent to work with.

Quinn, I believe, will improve our defense because he is a much smarter coach with the ability to design intricate defenses that will fool the opposing teams and cost them yards.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]