Honey Badger...

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, yeah he's a definite risk.

Who knows where his head's at and how long he can stay on the straight and narrow. I know its a division rival...and yeah he smoked himself out the NCAA. However, IMO, in the SEC and at LSU, smoking weed should be the least of anyone's concerns. All that said...MAN OH MAN is he just a football player, period.

I was a HUGE proponent of drafting him in round 2 or 3. So obviously I was a fan. Though, even I had forgotten how natural he is. He was great the other night, just great. Last week it came out that Tyrann has been clearly the best player at training camp. That statement doesn't seem too odd now.

Can he give Arians that Pac Man/Fisher spark? Who knows. But, they're going to give the Rams hell for 3rd place. I'm inclined to predict 8-8 for the Cards and 7-9 for the Rams.

That's my random no coffee musing.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
They played pretty inspired football from what I saw, even a preseason game, holding the Packers to 0 on the road seems noteworthy to me. Looks can sometimes be deceiving but Cards might be a bigger pain in the butt than I initially thought, I give them that.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Umm, yeah, I want to apologize for my rape of the English language in the OP. Im to grammar what Radish is to hip-hop. No coffee and pain killers, for the first time in years, doesn't help things.

Anyways, I'm with you Bob. I know Carson Palmer is, well, Carson Palmer, but he's better than anything they've had since Warner. The Cards haven't even had NFL caliber QB's since then. They will be a pain...and will be good for 8. They get lucky, maybe 9.

All the draft people on here we're really down on Tyrann this year. But that's only because he was forced to sit out a year, IMO. He's got a very Charles Woodson, Pac Man type vibe to him. His instincts are ridiculous.

Of course more time's needed, but I just cant see instincts like that evaporating.

Irony? Some RB at LSU has gotten two assaults since joining the squad, but he'll be playing this year! Hopefully Tyrann will give up weed and just start decking people, like he's suppose to.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":2tvbujwx said:
All the draft people on here we're really down on Tyrann this year.

Not "All" of the draft people. I got scoffed at quite a bit for sticking my neck out in favor of drafting the guy.

But, you're right. Most were not for drafting him. He did end up getting drafted fairly high (#69 overall). So, the Hawks would have had to draft him at the end of the 2nd.

drdiags

Reaction score
I figured he would have made a great slot cover guy and thought the 3rd round wasn't a bad spot to take a gamble. Looks like he has more talent than I gave him credit for.

He just seemed destined to be one of those guys with a chip on his shoulder that could thrive here. Kudos for the Cardinals drafting him and putting together a deal that protects them in case he has any slip ups. I thought he was delusional when it was reported that he planned to have a draft party in NYC in anticipation of getting drafted in the first round.

He may have the last laugh.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
He's getting the start this week for AZ, at FS. Something tells me he'll be starting by opening weekend anyways.

Instincts defensively makes plays. And, defensive playmakers are rare. Too rare to sit on the sideline.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3mynyp2g said:
Pehawk is going to be a genius until Mathieu gets lit celebrating making the team.

It takes 3 positives for "weed" to hit the NFL's radar. And, apparently, until you're on the substance abuse side of the ledger, the new CBA only allows one "fun drug" test a year. I just read that on the main forum. And like all things seahawks.net, I will not be checking it accuracy...and from here on out quote it as truth.

So, yeah, if he gets popped, he's a dummy. Just like me.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1los7tue said:
Scottemojo":1los7tue said:

It takes 3 positives for "weed" to hit the NFL's radar. And, apparently, until you're on the substance abuse side of the ledger, the new CBA only allows one "fun drug" test a year. I just read that on the main forum. And like all things seahawks.net, I will not be checking it accuracy...and from here on out quote it as truth.

I can just see his first sit down with ol Raj. Uh, three posi's to get suspended? C'mon Mang, they let me have 10 at LSU! It was Adderall anyway, not weed!

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Don't hate because as of week one of the preseason, I'm the ONLY seahawks.net draft guy worth a shit.

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":131cen2w said:
Scottemojo":131cen2w said:

So lets say this is true without checking it - which by the way is funny and stupid by the league if that is the case - Arizona wanted to test honeybadger something like every week per their contract. So they would be the ones that could terminate if he tests positive. Of course if they don't have to disclose the results and he plays well they will "pull an LSU"........

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Arizona's defensive coordinator (Todd Bowles) is the stepfather of Mathieu's girlfriend, and Peterson and former LSU teammate and 2013 draft pick Kevin Minter will be with Mathieu in Arizona. "Arizona knew what kind of person and what kind of ballplayer Tyrann is," said Mathieu's agent Pat Lawlor, who also represents Peterson. "He has a good support system out there." Mathieu acknowledged Peterson's possible input. "I think Patrick had a lot to do with it," Mathieu said. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/ ... ed_by.html

I think teams will regret not drafting Mathieu... like the year Randy Moss was passed on. That year, the Hawks drafted Anthony Simmons. Good, solid player. But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? I was so hoping that the Hawks would take a chance on Moss. I can only wonder "what if". Those were the Erickson years and perhaps the deep threat of Moss may have tipped the scales on those teams that were on the verge.

I'm all for assembling a roster with guys with reliable character. But, at the end of the day... games are decided on the field. I understand the concern is that they need to be on the field to have an impact, but there are players that come along at times that are just too good to pass up and worth said risks if they start showing a turning point as Mathieu did before the draft. Time will tell there, but I don't expect the guy to fail. The support system there in Arizona might just be enough to keep him straight.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of the infamous Simmons over Moss draft day, TOC! I REALLY hate you now.

I remember leaping around my house, grabbing my friends and girlfriends, screaming "don't you understand...we're getting Randy BLEEPING Moss...dude runs like a deer....best WR I've ever seen...don't you understand!!!!!?????"

I hate you TOC...truly hate you now.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":26kben2f said:
Thanks for reminding me of the infamous Simmons over Moss draft day, TOC! I REALLY hate you now.

I remember leaping around my house, grabbing my friends and girlfriends, screaming "don't you understand...we're getting Randy BLEEPING Moss...dude runs like a deer....best WR I've ever seen...don't you understand!!!!!?????"

I hate you TOC...truly hate you now.

I suffer for my people.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
mikeak":u12lye8s said:
TeamoftheCentury":u12lye8s said:
But, how many Championships do the Hawks have to date? .

Same number as Randy Moss...........
True enough there. But, as much as I liked Anthony Simmons, just think of what Randy Moss may have brought to the Hawks during that regime. Randy Moss doesn't win a Super Bowl by himself, though... right mikeak? But, on a team with Cortez Kennedy leading the Defense and Warren Moon to Randy Moss Air Erickson? Perhaps we're basking in the memory of something much greater there. That's the point.

There were Seahawk teams during that era that missed the playoffs as the hottest team at the end of the regular season (or one of them.) So, my point is valid. Players that tip the balance / make that extra bit of difference between getting in and contending vs. this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Seatt ... wks_season

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Minnesota went 15-1 in Moss's first year, right?

I cant believe someone's debating whether Moss would've been a good pick. Of course, it would've given us an alternate timeline, Erickson may've saved his job.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Not to send pehawk into a Jimmy Fallon, Buckner game watching stupor. But... Yes, 15-1.

Passing Offense 4,328 Yards 270.5 YPG (NFL rank: 1st)
Receiving Yards leader: Randy Moss 1,313
Receiving Touchdowns leader: Randy Moss 17

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
What's weird about that whiff by Erickson, was it's rarity. Erickson was very underrated in evaluating talent. He did some great work.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
pehawk":3pj6nmhx said:
What's weird about that whiff by Erickson, was it's rarity. Erickson was very underrated in evaluating talent. He did some great work.
Yeah, I don't know what happened during the thought process to pass on Moss - whether it was the consensus of the decision makers or not. Can't say that draft was a complete miss b/c Anthony Simmons was pretty good. But, just in terms of potential impact for comparison sake of players like Moss and Mathieu. Teams had decided to take them both off their boards entirely (at least that's what the media reported) and Mathieu could make teams regret that just as Moss did. I think the comparison is fair as both were arguably elite talent coming into the league with a troubled past. Maybe the league cracking down and all the suspensions scared some teams away from Mathieu in today's NFL. The thing is, though... you never know once an otherwise clean player gets into the league and things that are available to them that were perhaps not before might be a struggle while players that have made mistakes may have learned from them. So, there's never really a guarantee with any player. Just try not to whiff when you've got a Randy Moss or Tyrann Mathieu sitting there for the taking.

Latest posts