Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!
Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:45 am
  • The ongoing battle continues. Shefter reported 49ers signed harper off our practice squad!! Damn I hate SF :49ersmall:
    kendog2639
    NET Starter

Re: Chris Harper signed by 49ers!!!
Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:46 am
  • Hardouche.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 am
  • They need help at WR, so it's not a big surprise, but I won't be surprised if he's cut after our week 2 game either.
    vonstout
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50 am
  • Crap.......don't like this at all.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:51 am
  • Wow. Well they definitely need the help. Blame lasik for this.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:54 am
  • If SF has to resort to signing our castoffs in an attempt to "improve" then I am all for it. See Ricardo "Developing great rapport with Kaepernick in the Offseason" Lockette.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:56 am
  • vonstout wrote:They need help at WR, so it's not a big surprise, but I won't be surprised if he's cut after our week 2 game either.

Can't be cut after week 2.. If you sign someone off another PS they have to remain on the active roster at least 3 regular game checks.

Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 am
  • Perfect addition. I like the way he drops TD passes.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:02 am
  • Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him
    Vandelay
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:05 am
  • Vandelay wrote:Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him

G'bye Morgan?
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:10 am
  • Vandelay wrote:Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him

It seems there are only two ways Seattle could keep him. Pay him more than San Fran wants to even on the PS, or sign him to the active roster.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:12 am
  • How do we get to "reclaim" or retain him??

Once we opt to place him on the PS, aren't we vulnerable to losing him?

I don't understand how this works.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:13 am
  • I wonder if a team can pay a PS player the equivalent of an active roster player.. interesting to think that a PS player could count against the cap. (well if in the top 51 that is)

Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 am
  • bestfightstory wrote:How do we get to "reclaim" or retain him??

Once we opt to place him on the PS, aren't we vulnerable to losing him?

I don't understand how this works.

Ask your bookie. Pretty sure it's 16-1 that we cannot reclaim him.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 am
  • No you are able to sign him to the 53 but obviously have to offer more money. Also release someone from the 53
    Vandelay
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:16 am
  • Harper has the option of staying on the practice squad for more money, just as Ricardo Lockett did with the Niners. He had a chance to go to the 53 with another team but opted to stay with the Niners.
    Vandelay
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:21 am
  • As a player that was drafted as high as he was, getting cut before the season......do you think he feels disrespected and would be more than happy to help the enemy?
    HereToRead
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:27 am
  • Vandelay wrote:Harper has the option of staying on the practice squad for more money, just as Ricardo Lockett did with the Niners. He had a chance to go to the 53 with another team but opted to stay with the Niners.

I believe their is a max limit that you can pay a ps player , just over 100,000 I think. While the minimum for active roster is 415k+.
    I hope we can keep even if we have redshirt him on the active roster, I still think he can be a good role player for this team in the future. It took Golden Tate 2 years, Steven Williams a good 5, and Kearse one off season; I'd like to see him given at least one more offseason as a Seahawk before permanently giving up on him.

Does anybody else think the 49ers doing this just to force us to sign him to our 53 man roster, which forces us to release another player that would be more useful to have right now, like say Mike Morgan, just to f*ck with us
    Last edited by Killa Kam on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:28 am
  • Oh well. Next man up. Welcome back, Phil Bates.

Also, I believe Harper has to be their roster for at least 3 games before they can cut him. Its funny since Harbaugh came into the NFL... he's been leeching Seahawk players... Lockette and LeGree come to mind and now Harper. Martin briefly.

All the 9er players Seahawks brought were in 2010... M-Rob and Kentwan Balmer in a trade... I want to say for Lawrence Jackson.

Then there is the Maragos who was signed undrafted by Scot McLoughin (sp?) also in 2010. But Maragos became a Seahawk in 2011.

And Brett Swain who was a 49er in 2011 but was drafted when JS was still part of the Packers FO. And he was just cut.

So so far no Harbaugh influenced 49er has touched a Seahawks roster by my research. Also, LS Kyle Nelson had a brief stint before being cut in the first cut down.

4th round pick or not... I wouldn't take Harper back with Harbaugh tainted all over him... this coming from a big Harper enthusiast in the off-season.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 am
  • First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

Second, I believe a PS player is basically able to negotiate as a free agent with any team, so the only way to keep him is to offer more and place him on the 53, which requires we cut someone else. You can't pay him more and keep him on the PS because the weekly pay is the same across the league and set in the CBA.

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week.
    NorthwestSportsFan
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 am
  • NorthwestSportsFan wrote:First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

Second, I believe a PS player is basically able to negotiate as a free agent with any team, so the only way to keep him is to offer more and place him on the 53, which requires we cut someone else. You can't pay him more and keep him on the PS because the weekly pay is the same across the league and set in the CBA.

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week.

I could be wrong, but the purpose behind the PS rule was to make the gaining team use an active roster spot as well as the salary. Do you think that teams would care if they were able to sign guys from another team and then have to eat a few game checks to do so? I doubt it, but when they have to dedicate one of the precious 53 for a 3-4 weeks they have to be damn sure they want to do the deal.

Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:42 am
  • This has far more to do with their desperation to improve the WR spot than Harbag having some ulterior motive to learn the Hawks playbook or screw Seattle
    Follow me on Twitter: @BadGuy711
    BadGuy711
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:43 am
  • You could be right, barthawk. Either way I doubt this is why the 49ers made the claim. Their defensive coaching staff already knows more about the Hawks offense than a struggling rookie would. They did this because they're struggling at WR, pure and simple.
    NorthwestSportsFan
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Vandelay wrote:Its not a done deal, just reported my Maiocco that Seattle trying to keep him

G'bye Morgan?

I highly doubt Mike Morgan is on the first one to be cut list... not many of our guys can play all LBer spots as well as LEO plus be a ST ace while possessing the length factor this team loves being about 6-3 with 34 5/8th inch Arms . And from what I read , Quinn and Carroll both think of Morgan in high regard as a smart, versatile, consummate team player.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 am
  • BadGuy711 wrote:This has far more to do with their desperation to improve the WR spot than Harbag having some ulterior motive to learn the Hawks playbook or screw Seattle

Yeah but why would SF let him sign onto our practice squad and then go after him? They could have just claimed him after he was cut and not even have to worry about Seattle still getting a chance to retain him. Harbaugh and the Whiners aren't slick :stirthepot:
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 am
  • Herein lies the problem. Who do you cut in order to keep him? The only person I would consider cutting to keep Harper would be Lotu. I know many around here like him (and obviously JSPC do), but I personally think he's a bit overrated. Other than him, I would be disappointed if we cut anyone else to keep Harper. So, who would you cut in order to keep him? Can't think of anyone? Then it's time to let him go.
    NorthwestSportsFan
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:54 am
  • Killa Kam wrote:
    Yeah but why would SF let him sign onto our practice squad and then go after him? They could have just claimed him after he was cut and not even have to worry about Seattle still getting a chance to retain him. Harbaugh and the Whiners aren't slick :stirthepot:

As I've read others say, Seattle never announced their practice squad. It still has not been confirmed he signed with them.
    Follow me on Twitter: @BadGuy711
    BadGuy711
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 am
  • Our drafting Harper instead of Patton doesn't look like a great move now that we can look back on it. I love our FO, but other than Golden Tate, our drafting of WRs has not been flawless. Right after this pick, which Kearly hated, I was called "silly" for posting: "With Kris Durham and others, this FO has not distinguished itself in choosing receivers, and perhaps Kearly has a better eye for this than John Schneider." Now that Harper is a Niner, I'm hoping Kearly was right.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 am
  • Barthawk wrote:
    NorthwestSportsFan wrote:First off, I'm not worried in the least. I wasn't impressed at all with Harper in the preseason. My preference is that the Hawks just let him go. I don't want to see us cut anyone else to keep him.

I could be wrong, but the purpose behind the PS rule was to make the gaining team use an active roster spot as well as the salary. Do you think that teams would care if they were able to sign guys from another team and then have to eat a few game checks to do so? I doubt it, but when they have to dedicate one of the precious 53 for a 3-4 weeks they have to be damn sure they want to do the deal.

No, you can cut them after 1 week. They just have to get the three weeks' pay.

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, they will receiver a minimum of three paychecks, even if they are released before spending three weeks with the team.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 am
  • I'm pretty sure any player inn the league on the week one roster has their salary for the entire season guaranteed. Period.

So, yes, they can cut Harper or anyone for that matter at any time, but they'd be obligated to pay his salary for the entire year regardless of what they do or do not do with him.

As for the move itself, it is a lame desperation move by SF to get a glimpse into our playbook for that game in week two. It also speaks volumes about the current crop of their wide-outs. Let him go. next man up.
    heffmanhere
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:12 am
  • Killa Kam wrote:
    BadGuy711 wrote:This has far more to do with their desperation to improve the WR spot than Harbag having some ulterior motive to learn the Hawks playbook or screw Seattle

maybe they signed him to a 1 year deal, instead of wanting to take on his 4 year contact by claiming him on waivers??????
    HereToRead
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:12 am
  • Harper probably will be cut after Manningham and Crabtree comeback. I find this signing funny. Its like it was done only to troll Seahawk fans although I doubt that is the truth.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 am
  • Damn, that sucks. I hope we can retain him somehow :(
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 am
  • NorthwestSportsFan wrote:"------

------

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week."

Nope he is stuck on their roster for 3 weeks, they have to save his spot on their 53 for that time.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 am
  • Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

If that is the case, Harper is kinda a punk (non shack language). It tells me he never bought in.

Also really weak move by harbaugh. Why wouldn't they have just claimed him yesterday? Wait until we set our guys and say, ok, cherry pick time.

Either way, Harper is terrible, so it's no biggie. Just don't like seeing it go down this way.
    Last edited by Coug_Hawk08 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 am

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:49 am
  • exactly.
    Green Bay has signed Seneca Wallace, who was released by 49ers ...
    What's going on in football?
    dopeboy206 wrote:You know Slimball Harbaugh is only signing him to get info on our offensive playbook
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 am
  • 1. This has nothing to do with his ability as a football player.

2. This is all about getting insight into the Hawk's playbook.

I fully expected the Harbaugh and the 49ers to sign a player for this express purpose. I predicted it would be Winston Guy, but Harper makes sense.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:51 am
  • Either the niners draft so badly that every year our leftover WR:s just make their 53 or then they use Lockette and Harper to get our playbook. Either way, Jim Harbaugh looks like a douche.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:52 am
  • Another swing and miss at a reveiver in the 4th round
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 am
  • Not a great track record for drafting WRs, for sure. But let's not forget about Golden Tate.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:54 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

If that is the case, Harper is kinda a punk (non shack language). It tells me he never bought in.

Also really weak move by harbaugh. Why wouldn't they have just claimed him yesterday? Wait until we set our guys and say, ok, cherry pick time.

Either way, Harper is terrible, so it's no biggie. Just don't like seeing it go down this way.

i really think it is because they wanted him to sign on their terms and not have to take on his 4 year deal. thats the only reason i can come up with.
    HereToRead
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am
  • If Harper were a QB, I'd think maybe the 9ers were after tips on our playbook. A #6 WR? Not so much.

:laugh: at some of the comments. Hey, the kid has promise, but we just didn't have room for him. We should be looking forward to his being re-introduced to the LOB. :)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 am
  • Take him. Dude sucks. But what do I know, I'm no coach/scout.

I'll take Kearse and Williams all day any day over Harper. They actually made some noise this preseason.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am
  • sutz wrote:If Harper were a QB, I'd think maybe the 9ers were after tips on our playbook. A #6 WR? Not so much.

:laugh: at some of the comments. Hey, the kid has promise, but we just didn't have room for him. We should be looking forward to his being re-introduced to the LOB. :)

He won't even be active on game days for them. So, I don't think the lob will get a chance to rattle his brain.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:59 am
  • The kid clearly needs time to develop in this league. From what I have read he is big and has above average speed. Its not every day you can claim someone with his skilset in his rookie year. I imagine he was somewhere on the 49ers draft rankings and probably why they claimed him. It will be interesting to see how long he stays on the roster and if he will be even activated on game days. He is going to be the 6th receiver to start with Manningham and Crabtree on PUP.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:04 am
  • We knew the Niners were going to jump all over the receivers we cut, no matter who they were. Seriously, no matter who we cut, they were going to be picked up by the 49ers.

It's not a surprise, many people on here have been saying that all preseason.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:04 am
  • HereToRead wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Once someone is on a teams PS it is their choice to sign with another team, right? It's not like an automatic claim and sign?

i really think it is because they wanted him to sign on their terms and not have to take on his 4 year deal. thats the only reason i can come up with.

Who are we kidding? IT IS FOR OUR PLAYBOOKS. That is the only logical answer I can come up with. It's not like he'll probably get playing time for them anyways. Not to mention he is a former QB so his knowledge of play recognition and playbook memories is better than your average rookie I'd assume.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:
    NorthwestSportsFan wrote:"------

------

Third, I think the 3 week rule is related to paying them for three weeks, not that he'd be stuck on the roster for three weeks. So, if the 49ers dropped him after our game they could do that but they'd also have to pay him for another week."

Nope he is stuck on their roster for 3 weeks, they have to save his spot on their 53 for that time.

Where are you reading that? You seem to be grossly mistaken.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:08 am
  • TwilightError wrote:Either the niners draft so badly that every year our leftover WR:s just make their 53 or then they use Lockette and Harper to get our playbook. Either way, Jim Harbaugh looks like a douche.

Kinda like Carroll and Brett Swain? Pointing fingers about a tactic that every team in the NFL uses is just silly.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:45 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information