Dishnet Vs. Direct TV?

HawkWow

Reaction score
So, yesterday I am fired up (yes, I know) for the Phins and Cowboys game. Get the yard work done and sit down for the first glimpse of football. I scrolled through the menu no less than 5 times but still couldn't locate the game. I decided to call DISH NETWORK and learned we no longer have NBC. $150 a month and no access to this game and worse...NO access to Sunday night games. A few choice words later and I was asked if I wanted to cancel my subscription. I hung up.

I know Direct has that Sunday ticket and living in Hawaii, that would assure me of seeing the Hawks weekly but I've heard not such good things about them too.
Does anyone that has experienced these two networks have an opinion on them or preference? Please reply because the clock is ticking. Living on an outer island in Hawaii..it could take weeks to change my service and I'd hate to jump from the frying pan into the fire. I thank you in advance.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Dish but going from Comcast to DirectTV, I couldn't be happier. It's cheaper and I have access to more content.

dbmack

Reaction score
We've had both and prefer Direct. We don't have Sunday Ticket though.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all. Is it safe to say Direct TV (currently) gets NBC, CBS and ABC? Seems like a silly question, I know, but I just learned that our cable carrier here (Time Warner) does not get CBS.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol yes, DirecTV don't play the games that Dish does. Make the switch, man, you will be happier.

homerun1970

Reaction score
I have had Directv for 14 years and Sunday Ticket that long as well . They may throw you a bone of the ticket for free being a new subscriber they do negotiate.They have all the channels that you asked at present.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The only channel that Dish has that DTV doesn't that I wish they did is the PAC12 Network.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I have had all 3 and what I have learned is that overall, you get more bang for the buck on Direct. Whole home DVR and Genie over coax. I left them once for Comcast and Dish makes my blood pressure boil. Xfinity Internet access for sure, but my TV is coming from DirecTV.

Always the best hardware too, at least for me.

Dismas

Reaction score
Another endorsement for DTV here.

Have had it, and sunday ticket, since I think 97.
Great channel selection, and their customer service has always been A-1 for me.
Replacement hardware, line checks, whatever I need, they handle it quick and painless.

And for local broadcast . . . YES. You will get your local channels of all 4 networks. I also get the 2 or three fringe networks ( cw and what have you) but don't know how local they are, as I don't watch them much

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. Just signed up. The operator clued me in that things (with Dish net) were / are about to get much worse. The guy reported Dish net has...or is about to lose CBS, ABC and Fox as well as NBC. Our local carrier (Oceanic time warner) is in the same boat making Direct TV not only the best option, but the only option. Wish I owned shares....their phone must be ringing off the hook.

If anyone else is interested, the guy said anyone wanting to sign up should do so asap because the closer we get to the season, the less discounts will be offered.

Fast service as well. With Dish, we may not see a tech for 2 weeks. DirectTV wanted to send a guy to do the install this Thursday. I declined for fear I wouldn't have a signal for the Hawk game, so they will come the following day. So far, so good. Aloha.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Howzit HawkWow, you cant go wrong with DTV, love it and the NFL Sunday ticket, its the only way I get to see the 9ers here in Hawk town.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2pzfg2lp said:
Howzit HawkWow, you cant go wrong with DTV, love it and the NFL Sunday ticket, its the only way I get to see the 9ers here in Hawk town.

I actually enjoy watching the Niners...always have. Obviously, since moving to the NFC, I do not hope for their success but they are an interesting, entertaining team on the football field. But I definitely enjoyed them more pre-Harbaugh.

You know Hawaii, so you know you and I are in similar boats. I'm dead in the middle of 9er country (for the most part), but change is in the wind. ; )

Good health to both of our clubs and thanks for the reply.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
It might be too late now, but if you want, one of us could send you our account number and you can save $10 a month for 10 months. You still have until Friday, so you might be okay.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Another endorsement I'll give DirecTV, their customer service has always been good to me. I wish my internet carrier was the same, them boys suck.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I have sold both Dish and DTV for a living, I sell internet tv and phone. I can tell you for a fact that this is a normal process for all tv providers. They get in contract disputes whenever a new contract comes up with a network provider. The network provider wants to raise rates and the company providing you your tv service is trying to fight it to keep their/your price down. There will be times with any and every TV provider that you will find a channel no longer being subscribed to(usually not the bigger networks, but it does happen), but it is usually over shortly and they come to an agreement, not always though.

Before the superbowl a few years back DTV actually had this go on, and people on DTV may not know it but they almost missed the superbowl.

Axx

Reaction score
I work on sundays so i will probably get the NFL.com game rewind thing.
Is it worth it? Do they spike prices and how long until the games are made available?

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Has any one seen a commercial something about ordering games for $2 per game? I'm pretty sure it was direct tv, maybe not, but I keep just catching the very tail-end of it and haven't seen the whole thing to get the details of exactly what they're talking about. Seems like it's been showing on NFLN. Looking on DTV's website I don't see any reference to it though.

Latest posts