Forget surprise successes - let's guess surprise failures

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Instead of guessing which teams will come up from 6-10 or 9-7 (or even 2-14 - I'm looking at you, Kansas City) to make the playoffs and have a successful season, let's guess a team or two that is expected to be good but that will have a mediocre-to-bad season.

    Two things:

    First, let's try to do this based on pre-season expectations instead of on who made the playoffs last year. Would anyone be surprised if the Super Bowl defending champion Ravens went 6-10?

    Second, please please PLEASE do not turn this into a "Seattle fans say SF, SF fans say Seattle" slapfight. Please.

    Alright, for me, I'm going to point the finger at the Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers as a player is of course fantastic, and they still have guys like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb catching passes, but their running game is still a question mark going into the season, they already had troubles on the OL before Bulaga went out for the year, and they have some question marks in their secondary as well. Add that to a brutal division (I think the Bears, Vikes, and Lions have reason to hope for a playoff spot out of the NFCN), and I think they might well go 8-8/9-7 and miss the playoffs with their first-place schedule.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3784
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Second, please please PLEASE do not turn this into a "Seattle fans say SF, SF fans say Seattle" slapfight. Please.


    Boy, have you got high expectations...

    Vikings will crash. So will the Colts. 7-9 or worse for both.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26928
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I think the Falcons will fail to win their division as the Saints will overtake them.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9930
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • I would be surprised if the Ravens went 6-10. If we can only look at the most hyped teams, I would say none will surprise in a negative way.

    If we just look at least year's records though:

    Vikings, Colts will boomerang.

    Bears, Steelers, Ravens, Falcons will decline as well.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11570
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Manning gets his kneck fd up again, and Denver doesn't even make the playoffs. KC surprises.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2292
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • With the injuries to the Ravens, they might very well decline; but I think people are underestimating Flacco with his new offensive coordinator.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26928
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • redskins, shannahan runs morris to the ground and rg3 regresses as washington barely breaks .500
    User avatar
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am
    Location: LA


  • The Vikings will be bad, anyone that has expectations for that team may want to rethink that. I have all the love for AP, and he will win that team games (possibly enough to get into the playoffs and it won't look pretty...again). But, Ponder is not very good and has showed no sign that he can hack it. When I lived in the Mid West I got pretty intrigued by what they were doing 5 or so years ago, but I feel the organization lost it's way and the wheels are coming off.

    I don't think the skins will be a threat if RG3's knee doesn't hold up (and I don't think it will..brace or not). I'd like to see if Alfred Morris can build on what he was able to last year and without RG3 setting up as many runs (unless Shanny really is that stupid).

    Indy has been mentioned, I can get with that.

    I'm going out on a limb and saying the Patriots have a lack luster season, and could miss the play offs. Tom Brady is a beast, but I think this is the year we see him start to show signs of age. I just have a feeling they can't keep pulling these winning seasons out of their butts with a suspect/average defense. I would not be surprised to see Brady light it up and that Defense play scrappy ball and they do some work int he play offs, that is simply not the route I want to go this season (why not...).

    I think the Texans fall off a little (number of wins wise), yet they get just as far as they did last year.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • Based purely off preseason hype, I'm going to say Miami. They spent a lot of money and I like Tannehill, but it's sounding more and more like that LT position is just a turnstile.
    User avatar
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 836
    Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:38 am


  • The rams
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1821
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


  • Everyone's taken the good ones so Im going to go obscure here. Everyone's hyping them up based on how much they bought this offseason; THE MIAMI DOLPHINS. I Just think that team needs to establish instead before getting any hype and I dont think theres any way they dethrown the Pats
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3666
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Alright, for me, I'm going to point the finger at the Green Bay Packers. Aaron Rodgers as a player is of course fantastic, and they still have guys like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb catching passes, but their running game is still a question mark going into the season, they already had troubles on the OL before Bulaga went out for the year, and they have some question marks in their secondary as well. Add that to a brutal division (I think the Bears, Vikes, and Lions have reason to hope for a playoff spot out of the NFCN), and I think they might well go 8-8/9-7 and miss the playoffs with their first-place schedule.


    I'll go ahead and echo this. Nelson is out for the rest of camp after having knee surgery, and Bulaga is done for the season. The O-line and defense have always been spotty, but their offensive firepower at the skill positions has usually compensated for that.

    I could see the new regime in Chicago taking people by surprise and winning the division while the Packers slip back and the Vikes fall below .500.
    Image

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    User avatar
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8491
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • I think now that they'll have to actually play some real teams and won't be able to rely on a creampuff division loser's schedule, the Colts will have a dramatic and profound return to earth this year.

    I think this will be the last year anyone considers the Steelers to be near-elite; they're very old and very broken down. That thing needs a total re-build from the ground up. They have some time at the bottom in their future.

    I think the NFC North is going to be one of the crappiest divisions in football, and the Packers will find some way to blame it on replacement refs.

    I hope I'm wrong, because I actually really like the kid, but unless they change their ways dramatically I can see Bob Griffen getting hurt real bad and missing a lot of time, paving the way for Kirk Cousins to take over that team. I think Kirk's a really good QB that only needs an opportunity.

    One team I really can't put my finger on though is Philly. I'm very intreagued to see what the Chip Kelly experiment looks like. I might work, but it might just as easily get everyone hurt. They've already had a rash of injuries in training camp from the sound of it. I wonder if that up-tempo is just too much for this level.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11667
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • I have a few:
    - 49ers will not make the playoffs - the injury bug has already hit the team and they have not even played their first preseason game yet - the 49ers are 2 injuries away (Gore and Justin Smith) away from being a .500 team
    - Ravens will not make the playoffs either
    - The Dolphins will not be as good as advertised either
    - The Colts will take a few steps back this year due to a tougher schedule - still a playoff contender, but as a wild-card team again
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm


  • candyman4881 wrote:I have a few:
    - 49ers will not make the playoffs - the injury bug has already hit the team and they have not even played their first preseason game yet - the 49ers are 2 injuries away (Gore and Justin Smith) away from being a .500 team
    - Ravens will not make the playoffs either
    - The Dolphins will not be as good as advertised either
    - The Colts will take a few steps back this year due to a tougher schedule - still a playoff contender, but as a wild-card team again


    LOL....I was just KNEW someone was going to say 49ers. :D

    1) Dolphins again prove that winning the offseason means nothing and will suck in a big way. WAY to much money spent on marginal players.

    2) Rams crash and burn and realize too late that the only reason they had success in the division last year is that all the other teams featured QBs in their rookie year, first year as a starter, or in the Cards case, simply sucked. That divisional record won't look so hot this year after losing the only 2 guys who were worth a damn on that offense.

    3) Falcons again fail to reach the big game because Matt Ryan is a choke artist of the first order.

    4) Colts fall back a bit because there is no way Andrew Luck can survive another season like his last one.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Second, please please PLEASE do not turn this into a "Seattle fans say SF, SF fans say Seattle" slapfight. Please.


    Boy, have you got high expectations...



    We're almost 24 hours in and so far so good!

    Re: The Colts. They went 10-6, but they outplayed their pythag by like five to six games last year. They can still make the playoffs in the AFC, but they are more likely to make them at 8-8 this year, and if some combination of two of the Chiefs/Ravens/Browns/Steelers/Dolphins outplays them and snags the two Wild Cards this year, I will be less than surprised personally.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3784
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Second, please please PLEASE do not turn this into a "Seattle fans say SF, SF fans say Seattle" slapfight. Please.


    Boy, have you got high expectations...



    We're almost 24 hours in and so far so good!

    Re: The Colts. They went 10-6, but they outplayed their pythag by like five to six games last year. They can still make the playoffs in the AFC, but they are more likely to make them at 8-8 this year, and if some combination of two of the Chiefs/Ravens/Browns/Steelers/Dolphins outplays them and snags the two Wild Cards this year, I will be less than surprised personally.


    I just can't see Luck surviving long enough to throw the ball 627 times again. They need a run game or he's dead meat.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    candyman4881 wrote:I have a few:
    - 49ers will not make the playoffs - the injury bug has already hit the team and they have not even played their first preseason game yet - the 49ers are 2 injuries away (Gore and Justin Smith) away from being a .500 team
    - Ravens will not make the playoffs either
    - The Dolphins will not be as good as advertised either
    - The Colts will take a few steps back this year due to a tougher schedule - still a playoff contender, but as a wild-card team again


    LOL....I was just KNEW someone was going to say 49ers. :D

    1) Dolphins again prove that winning the offseason means nothing and will suck in a big way. WAY to much money spent on marginal players.

    2) Rams crash and burn and realize too late that the only reason they had success in the division last year is that all the other teams featured QBs in their rookie year, first year as a starter, or in the Cards case, simply sucked. That divisional record won't look so hot this year after losing the only 2 guys who were worth a damn on that offense.

    3) Falcons again fail to reach the big game because Matt Ryan is a choke artist of the first order.

    4) Colts fall back a bit because there is no way Andrew Luck can survive another season like his last one.


    And I knew that someone would bring up the Rams :D . Looks like we agree on the other 3.

    My two biggest concerns for the Rams this year is RB and health of the O-Line. IF both pan out, then the Rams could be a playoff team - COULD be. For your "2 guys who were worth a damn on that offense" - were you referring to Amendola, who has been hurt for more games than he has played in the last 3 years, or Steven Jackson, who I still love but who's best days are clearly behind him? I am not counting on much from the rookie WRs (even Austin) as it does take time for a WR to develop in this league, however I do think that the 2 biggest offseason moves for the Rams are Jake Long at LT and Jared Cook at TE. IF Long can stay healthy, he is a Top 5 LT in the NFL, especially playing in the power scheme and not the zone blocking scheme, which he was playing last year in Miami. Jared Cook has potential to be a very dynamic weapon who finally has a decent QB throwing to him. I am cautiously optimistic about the Rams.

    You have to admit though that the offseason has not gone well for the 49ers. The injury bug has bit hard already, and we are only 2 1/2 weeks into training camp. The 49ers did have a few big offseason moves. The most underrated move of the offseason for any team that I have not seen discussed by hardly anyone is the signing of Phil Dawson for kicker. I know of 2 games that the 49ers could have potentially won if Akers could have made a field goal. The trade for Boldin is a good one, however which Boldin are you going to get? The regular season Boldin who averaged 61.4 YPG and 4 TDs total OR the postseason Boldin who averaged 95 YPG and 4 TDs total? I think the injury to Crabtree is a very huge loss, especially considering who is after Boldin? Unproven players and two injury prone players in Kyle Williams and Austin Collie? The Niners still have one of if not the best O-Line in football, a very strong running game, and a very stingy defense, however it could unravel very quickly if the front 7 cannot sustain pressure on the QB and if the running game is not what it was.
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm


  • candyman4881 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    candyman4881 wrote:I have a few:
    - 49ers will not make the playoffs - the injury bug has already hit the team and they have not even played their first preseason game yet - the 49ers are 2 injuries away (Gore and Justin Smith) away from being a .500 team
    - Ravens will not make the playoffs either
    - The Dolphins will not be as good as advertised either
    - The Colts will take a few steps back this year due to a tougher schedule - still a playoff contender, but as a wild-card team again


    LOL....I was just KNEW someone was going to say 49ers. :D

    1) Dolphins again prove that winning the offseason means nothing and will suck in a big way. WAY to much money spent on marginal players.

    2) Rams crash and burn and realize too late that the only reason they had success in the division last year is that all the other teams featured QBs in their rookie year, first year as a starter, or in the Cards case, simply sucked. That divisional record won't look so hot this year after losing the only 2 guys who were worth a damn on that offense.

    3) Falcons again fail to reach the big game because Matt Ryan is a choke artist of the first order.

    4) Colts fall back a bit because there is no way Andrew Luck can survive another season like his last one.


    And I knew that someone would bring up the Rams :D . Looks like we agree on the other 3.

    My two biggest concerns for the Rams this year is RB and health of the O-Line. IF both pan out, then the Rams could be a playoff team - COULD be. For your "2 guys who were worth a damn on that offense" - were you referring to Amendola, who has been hurt for more games than he has played in the last 3 years, or Steven Jackson, who I still love but who's best days are clearly behind him? I am not counting on much from the rookie WRs (even Austin) as it does take time for a WR to develop in this league, however I do think that the 2 biggest offseason moves for the Rams are Jake Long at LT and Jared Cook at TE. IF Long can stay healthy, he is a Top 5 LT in the NFL, especially playing in the power scheme and not the zone blocking scheme, which he was playing last year in Miami. Jared Cook has potential to be a very dynamic weapon who finally has a decent QB throwing to him. I am cautiously optimistic about the Rams.

    You have to admit though that the offseason has not gone well for the 49ers. The injury bug has bit hard already, and we are only 2 1/2 weeks into training camp. The 49ers did have a few big offseason moves. The most underrated move of the offseason for any team that I have not seen discussed by hardly anyone is the signing of Phil Dawson for kicker. I know of 2 games that the 49ers could have potentially won if Akers could have made a field goal. The trade for Boldin is a good one, however which Boldin are you going to get? The regular season Boldin who averaged 61.4 YPG and 4 TDs total OR the postseason Boldin who averaged 95 YPG and 4 TDs total? I think the injury to Crabtree is a very huge loss, especially considering who is after Boldin? Unproven players and two injury prone players in Kyle Williams and Austin Collie? The Niners still have one of if not the best O-Line in football, a very strong running game, and a very stingy defense, however it could unravel very quickly if the front 7 cannot sustain pressure on the QB and if the running game is not what it was.


    I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).

    As for the offseason for the 49ers, IMO it hasn't been as bad as some make out. Losing Crab hurts. no way around that one. Homefully they'll get him down the stretch. Losing Culliver hurts a bit, but Cully didn't look so hot down the stretch when the Niner pass rush disappeared (when both the Smiths were hurt). Willis will be OK.

    As for Boldin, I don't buy into what people say with him...that he's getting old, etc. I think alot of the problems he had in Baltimore came from the OC there. People forget, but that team wasn't going anywhere until they fired the OC and replaced him with Jim Caldwell. Moreover, ALL of Boldins numbers in Baltimore are similar. He had 900+ yards in all three seasons there after several 1000 yard seasons in Arizona.

    My point is that I think his production had more to do with playcalling and the system in general than a decline in skills. Do I think he's the exact same guy he was in Arizona? No, but I don't think he's declined as much as people think.

    I totally agree on Dawson. Akers just KILLED them last year. He had shots to win both games vs the Rams and missed both times. Kaep was also showing his "rookie" play last year in those games. He made some huge mistakes that cost them the second game.

    Here's the thing tho. Its too early to know for sure but I think they hit it out of the park in the draft. I really like Reid. I have never been a Goldson fan. He was a big hitter, but he was poor in coverage. So is Whitner for that matter. I love the picks in particular of Vance McDonald, Tank Carradine, Quinton Patton and Marcus Lattimore.

    The draft alone made the offseason fun to watch. :)




    BTW, I won't comment on the 49ers/Rams again just because it's kinda hijacking the thread.

    My biggest dissappointment team this year will be the Dolphins. All they got was 100% fools gold in Free Agency...and I thought that LONG before the Hall of Fame game.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).


    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:
    User avatar
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 461
    Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am


  • The Atlanta Falcons. Or the racistskins.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12028
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I'm going to say the Redskins and Ravens.

    It's easy to forget that the Redskins were one of the hottest teams in the 2nd half of last season - ending their regular season on a 7 game winning streak. While RGIII's injury may have no physical impact today, I am certain it will have a schematic impact on the Skins i.e. they may reinvent their offense to limit the risk of injury to RGIII. As well, NFC East is a very competitive division, there's not a large margin for error.

    As for the Ravens, I think we see a huge regression for the defending Champs. The Raven's know as much and is the reason why they blew up their squad to essentially start over. I could see Cincy being the lone representative of that division come playoff time.
    User avatar
    SDHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 586
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm


  • The Patriots won't win 10 games or their division this year.

    Their secondary is awful and they no longer have the weapons to be effective in a shootout. They're going to get run on, and then thrown over.
    Brady is going to get hit. A lot.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    User avatar
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator
     
    Posts: 10780
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
    Location: With a white girl


  • AvengerRam wrote:
    I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).


    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:


    Seriously? Both Amendola and Jackson were over 100 yards in the first meeting and the only reason you won the second meeting was because Ted Ginn made no effort to recover the pitch. Akers also missed game winners in both games.

    Dude...go home and come back when you're relevant.

    Now back to todays regularly scheduled programing.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • My picks are the Colts and Redskins, for reasons already discussed. No way the Colts continue to overperform as they did last year, and I have a funny feeling RGIII is not going to be nearly the phenomenon he was last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see a QB controversy erupt in D.C. the last half of the year after Cousins comes in to replace him for injuries.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 19041
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:My picks are the Colts and Redskins, for reasons already discussed. No way the Colts continue to overperform as they did last year, and I have a funny feeling RGIII is not going to be nearly the phenomenon he was last year. Wouldn't be surprised to see a QB controversy erupt in D.C. the last half of the year after Cousins comes in to replace him for injuries.

    I read an interesting stat on the Falcons. They had a cupcake schedule last year, yet only outgained their opponents by 60 yards on the season. I get the feeling the Saints could rebound this year and there might be only one spot for the NFCS to grab.
    The Skins ride the QB, and he gets ridden into the ground by his coach. Who will just hand the ball of to Alfred 400 times and destroy his career too.

    I definitely get the Colts, they picked up a shit ton of free agents this year in an effort to speed up the rebuild, but that just never seems to work.

    The Ravens I buy as a faller, but out of the playoffs? Maybe Cincy takes the one spot in the North, I guess. Though I have trouble believing in Cincy.

    I don't buy for a second that the Pats are cooked. Last time Brady had no one to throw to he passed for over 4000 yards.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12028
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:
    I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).


    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:


    Seriously? Both Amendola and Jackson were over 100 yards in the first meeting and the only reason you won the second meeting was because Ted Ginn made no effort to recover the pitch. Akers also missed game winners in both games.

    Dude...go home and come back when you're relevant.

    Now back to todays regularly scheduled programing.


    Just keep making excuses. :141847_bnono:

    As for "relevance," don't you love how Whiner fans all take credit for Championships of the past. I'd wager that most Whiner fans today who post on message boards are too young to even remember the last Super Bowl they won.

    But, hey... if time does not matter, the Rams have 3 NFL Championships going back to the 50s! Woo-hoo! :th2thumbs:
    User avatar
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 461
    Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am


  • As for surprise failures, I'll go with the Bears. I have a feeling they will fall back this year.
    User avatar
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 461
    Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am


  • AvengerRam wrote:As for surprise failures, I'll go with the Bears. I have a feeling they will fall back this year.

    Ummm...like last year?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12028
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:The Ravens I buy as a faller, but out of the playoffs? Maybe Cincy takes the one spot in the North, I guess. Though I have trouble believing in Cincy.



    For all of the pieces the Ravens lost this year, they replaced them with good young players. A lot of the aging vets (Lewis, Reed, Boldin, etc) played well during the playoffs, but were subpar at best during the season. I could see a similar W-L, even with their harder schedule, due to the youth across the board.

    Cincy is an interesting one, because I don't see the Stealers making a huge push, nor the Browns. It really will be between the Bengals and the Ravens, and the Bengals have a boat load of talent on offense, and a pretty nasty defense. I lean Ravens, but would not be surprised to see the Bengals take the division at 10 wins.


    My two calls for failure have already been mentioned, but I will throw them in: Colts and Patriots.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    User avatar
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *
     
    Posts: 4157
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:06 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:As for surprise failures, I'll go with the Bears. I have a feeling they will fall back this year.

    Ummm...like last year?


    They were 10-6 last year. I'm talking 6-10 or worse.
    User avatar
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 461
    Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 am


  • Cowboys, we are getting all the hoopla again about how good things are going to be there again. Feel they fall flat, actually the Giants will as well leaving the upstart Eagles to disrupt the Redskins plans. RGIII is going to be coddled first and then abused second, he will then be replaced by Cousins due to a injury since Shanahan beleives the only good QB is a QB that is beat the hell up.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 11667
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • AvengerRam wrote:
    I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).


    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:


    Did Amendola even play in the Candle stick game? Also wasn't there some mess up with the time outs or something that cost the Rams that second game?

    I have to agree with a few here about the Niners. I just don't see how you lose not just your #1 receiver but the guy that statistically dominated compared to the rest of the team plus Walker at the same time who was their #2 threat IIRC. If Gore and Justin Smith stay healthy and as productive as recent years then they might be OK but that is starting to look like a pretty big if and if either drops off it's game over.

    I also don't believe you can just plug in a rookie for an allpro. Even if Goldston wasn't the end all be all, he was an enforcer who brought an attitude to the secondary. Same goes for Soap, his mean streak will not easily be replaced.

    The Rams drew up a pretty good schematic ( as well as Seattle) of how to beat them so unless they become more dynamic, I would be surprised if we don't see other teams have better success this year. Leaning so heavily on one player like they did with Crabtree is much easier to defend than a QB who spreads the ball around and they don't even have Crabtree to lean on.

    Other teams I agree with, Colts come down a little, Ravens also. Steelers will be competing with the Browns for the cellar and the Redskins are going to continue to have injury issues with that field and style of play.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3059
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Just watched the youtube clip and for all the Niners complaining about missed FG's they sure like to ignore that delay of game penalty that was called on a snap likely less than a half second after zero on a made field goal that would have seen the Rams sweep them last year and dropped them to the #5 seed and put us at the #2 seed.

    If that weren't in Candlestick I doubt that call gets made, it was that close. Hell in SBXL the officials didn't call a single delay of game on the Steelers and there were a few times that clock was at zero for multiple seconds.

    Absolutely sucks that the season came down to that one call right there. Half a second sooner and we would probably have been in the super bowl.

    Game of inches.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3059
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • AvengerRam wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:
    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:


    Seriously? Both Amendola and Jackson were over 100 yards in the first meeting and the only reason you won the second meeting was because Ted Ginn made no effort to recover the pitch. Akers also missed game winners in both games.

    Dude...go home and come back when you're relevant.

    Now back to todays regularly scheduled programing.


    Just keep making excuses. :141847_bnono:

    As for "relevance," don't you love how Whiner fans all take credit for Championships of the past. I'd wager that most Whiner fans today who post on message boards are too young to even remember the last Super Bowl they won.

    But, hey... if time does not matter, the Rams have 3 NFL Championships going back to the 50s! Woo-hoo! :th2thumbs:




    The last time football was played in an NFL game that mattered, the 49ers were relevant and the Rams were not. I said absolutely nothing about the distant past. I don't need to look into the past for 49er or Seahawk relevance but the Rams have sucked for the better part of a decade now.

    Now pipe down and get back on topic.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RichNhansom wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:
    I was taking about Amendola AND Jackson. While neither had a huge season, they were a big part of the tie. Jackson worried me because the 49ers had trouble last year with bigger, bruising RBs. (See Jackson, Steven, Peterson, Adrian, and Lynch, Marshawn).


    Yeah, Jackson and Amendola did a good job of holding Kaepernick to less than 7 yards per attempt and 0 TD passes.

    Gotta love Whiner fans. :roll:


    Did Amendola even play in the Candle stick game? Also wasn't there some mess up with the time outs or something that cost the Rams that second game?

    I have to agree with a few here about the Niners. I just don't see how you lose not just your #1 receiver but the guy that statistically dominated compared to the rest of the team plus Walker at the same time who was their #2 threat IIRC. If Gore and Justin Smith stay healthy and as productive as recent years then they might be OK but that is starting to look like a pretty big if and if either drops off it's game over.

    I also don't believe you can just plug in a rookie for an allpro. Even if Goldston wasn't the end all be all, he was an enforcer who brought an attitude to the secondary. Same goes for Soap, his mean streak will not easily be replaced.

    The Rams drew up a pretty good schematic ( as well as Seattle) of how to beat them so unless they become more dynamic, I would be surprised if we don't see other teams have better success this year. Leaning so heavily on one player like they did with Crabtree is much easier to defend than a QB who spreads the ball around and they don't even have Crabtree to lean on.

    Other teams I agree with, Colts come down a little, Ravens also. Steelers will be competing with the Browns for the cellar and the Redskins are going to continue to have injury issues with that field and style of play.



    Amendola played and had over 100 yards.

    Akers wasn't the only reason they lost, but he was a big one. Alex Smith was hurt in that game and Kaep wasn't yet the Kaep he would become. Rams played well that day (Jackson and Amendola in particular...and that's why I'm glad they are gone).

    In the second matchup the Rams could do NOTHING on offense, the refs messed up on a safety call (threw the ball out of bounds but refs incorrectly said it didn't go past the LOS. It did...tho 10 yard out of bounds which still counts) and Kaep messed up on a pitch that Ted Ginn made no attempt to recover (and is a big reason he is now a Panther). Kaeps "rookie" issues were evident in that game. Essentially, Kaep accounted for almost all of the Rams points. Despite that tho, he still threw the game winning TD that Delaniw Walker promptly dropped in the endzone. Sigh.

    As for your "game of inches" comment in regards to a delay of game....and I really don't want to get into it....but lets just say Fail Mary and leave it at that.

    As for your logic about why the 49ers might fall back...I can see how you get there. They lose a couple big pieces and replace them with rookies and an aging player. Logically it makes sense to say that they won't be as good. I just don't think its that simple. I think Kaep will be FAR, FAR better than he was early on and that will offset some of the other losses. I also thin some of those rookies have the potential to be BETTER than the guy they are replacing (McDonald in particular). They will also get Crabtree back around the same time Seattle gets Harvin back.

    Finally, I believe in this coaching staff. The 2012 49ers were far different than the 2011 49ers. Everyone predicted a falloff in 2012 as well and they advanced farther.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • As long as the likable Harbaugh's in Baltimore, they'll be just fine. I cant believe I even have to type that, dude's just a GREAT coach. They wont fall, may not win another Lombardi, but that entire org is greatness. They're just fine.

    I REALLY think KC's taking the West and Denver's going to fall.

    Agreed on the Falcon's. Their own division is going to pummel them this year.

    Indy's an obvious one.

    I'm not sure on Minny. Yeah Ponder's a lost cause, but Frazier's pretty fricking good.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12259
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • RichNhansom wrote:Just watched the youtube clip and for all the Niners complaining about missed FG's they sure like to ignore that delay of game penalty that was called on a snap likely less than a half second after zero on a made field goal that would have seen the Rams sweep them last year and dropped them to the #5 seed and put us at the #2 seed.

    If that weren't in Candlestick I doubt that call gets made, it was that close. Hell in SBXL the officials didn't call a single delay of game on the Steelers and there were a few times that clock was at zero for multiple seconds.

    Absolutely sucks that the season came down to that one call right there. Half a second sooner and we would probably have been in the super bowl.

    Game of inches.


    OK, I just watched the end of regulation and there were 6 seconds left on the play clock when Akers tied the game. What are you talking about?
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • The Redscums and the Falcons.

    The Patriots will win their division by default. There is not another team in that division that has a prayer to get to .500.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3029
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:54 pm


  • I want to believe that RG3 is capable of protecting his body, smart enough to learn a more prototypical offense, and coached with more caution after Shanahan got burned in 2012. 10 wins will probably take the NFC East, and that's a pretty easy target for them if RG3 stays upright. The only way Washington has a 5-11 type season is if RG3 gets hurt early and badly. But even in that scenario, would that 6-10 Redskins team really count as a surprise? Seemingly half the NFL fanbase has been writing RG3's epitaph since January. The Redskins are both a 10 win team and a 5 win team, and it's just one factor that decides which. Basically, the Redskins 2013 season is a coinflip.

    The Patriots will decline, by a win, two at most. Which just means they'll win the AFC East with only 3-4 games to spare this time. So no, they won't be a suprise team. The AFC East has a shot to be the NFL's weakest division in 2013. Another thing, the Patriots were a lot stronger last year than I think most realize. They were running away with the DVOA lead nearly the entire season until they got overtaken late in the year by Seattle and Denver. At one point, their season DVOA was the best non-2007 score of the Belichick era. A record like 6-10 is unthinkable with a healthy Brady in 2013.

    The Bears 2012 season was a lot like the Bengals. Both were carried by a very strong defense, and both teams were led by QBs who looked surprisingly good early in the season before declining sharply in the second half. The Bengals are younger though and are flush with cash. The Bengals also seemed to weather their QB's decline with more grace. And the Bengals have an AFC schedule, which really helps these days.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11570
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Just watched the youtube clip and for all the Niners complaining about missed FG's they sure like to ignore that delay of game penalty that was called on a snap likely less than a half second after zero on a made field goal that would have seen the Rams sweep them last year and dropped them to the #5 seed and put us at the #2 seed.

    If that weren't in Candlestick I doubt that call gets made, it was that close. Hell in SBXL the officials didn't call a single delay of game on the Steelers and there were a few times that clock was at zero for multiple seconds.

    Absolutely sucks that the season came down to that one call right there. Half a second sooner and we would probably have been in the super bowl.

    Game of inches.


    OK, I just watched the end of regulation and there were 6 seconds left on the play clock when Akers tied the game. What are you talking about?


    The delay of game was in OT. No call and you lose, are swept and drop to the 5 seed.

    Geidi is correct that Amendola played in that game, it was the game you lost to them that he didn't play in and Jackson only had 48 yards.

    As for Geidi comparing that call to the fail mary, he needs to do his research. The call was upheld in the replay booth and not by scabs and later confirmed by the NFL to be a correct call. Jumping on a band wagon to prove a point is ridiculous. It's not like I used some straw man argument to explain why you could have easily been swept and dropped to the 5 seed where you would have had to play on the road in Washington and if you won there would have had another 10:00am east coast game and considering the only team you could beat at 10:00am was the Jets, I think it is safe to say you don't win in Atlanta either.

    You could easily make the argument if you had to play NE or GB at the normal 10:00am start time, you also wouldn't have been the #2 seed. Just saying.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3059
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • I dont want to continue to hijack this thread, but Amendola played an big part in the tie game in San Francisco, and would have had about 70 more yards in receiving yards after the first play in OT when Brandon Gibson (also a former Ram) did not line up on the line on the OTHER side of the field, causing 5 men in the backfield, and erasing a 70+ yard gain to the Niners 6 yard line and almost guaranteeing a loss for the Niners in that game - not too many outside of St Louis talk about that play, but that was a critical error.

    Back to the topic on hand - I think that Flacco takes a step back this year, as his numbers have been on par with Sam Bradford's last year, however with Boldin being traded away and Pitta being hurt, that does not bode well for him.
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm


  • Seahawk fans caring about the rams, is like the Cardinals caring about the Mariners. Stop posting so much stupid crap about a team that will be .500.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2292
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Just watched the youtube clip and for all the Niners complaining about missed FG's they sure like to ignore that delay of game penalty that was called on a snap likely less than a half second after zero on a made field goal that would have seen the Rams sweep them last year and dropped them to the #5 seed and put us at the #2 seed.

    If that weren't in Candlestick I doubt that call gets made, it was that close. Hell in SBXL the officials didn't call a single delay of game on the Steelers and there were a few times that clock was at zero for multiple seconds.

    Absolutely sucks that the season came down to that one call right there. Half a second sooner and we would probably have been in the super bowl.

    Game of inches.


    OK, I just watched the end of regulation and there were 6 seconds left on the play clock when Akers tied the game. What are you talking about?


    I believe he is talking about the Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein's FG in OT where he made a 52 yarder, but was called for delay of game, and then backed up 5 yards and the kick was no good.
    candyman4881
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 97
    Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:22 pm


  • candyman4881 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Just watched the youtube clip and for all the Niners complaining about missed FG's they sure like to ignore that delay of game penalty that was called on a snap likely less than a half second after zero on a made field goal that would have seen the Rams sweep them last year and dropped them to the #5 seed and put us at the #2 seed.

    If that weren't in Candlestick I doubt that call gets made, it was that close. Hell in SBXL the officials didn't call a single delay of game on the Steelers and there were a few times that clock was at zero for multiple seconds.

    Absolutely sucks that the season came down to that one call right there. Half a second sooner and we would probably have been in the super bowl.

    Game of inches.


    OK, I just watched the end of regulation and there were 6 seconds left on the play clock when Akers tied the game. What are you talking about?


    I believe he is talking about the Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein's FG in OT where he made a 52 yarder, but was called for delay of game, and then backed up 5 yards and the kick was no good.



    AHHHH.

    That makes more sense. ;-)
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • So we got a 49ers/Rams slapfight out of this instead?

    How did the Rams even get brought up here? I said SURPRISE failures. The 49ers would qualify as a surprise failure if they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs. For the Rams, that would be an overwhelming success. Come on!
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

    --Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3784
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Thanks Rams and 49er fans! I'm so done with our NFL forum being dominated by these asshats. And I'm tired of Seahawks fans encouraging it too.

    Be better, a-holes.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12259
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • The fraudy niners. Their ineptitude from the front office down will start to show. The media might even pick up on the fact that Baalke's first draft, which was great, was with someone else's draft board. In the two drafts since, two starters his first year and only one player saw the field from his second. Baalke also put a third rounder's name into an envelope prior to drafting him in the first round and niner fans were SOOOO excited because Baalke got the guy he wanted. How is that working out?
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2347
    Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm


  • rideaducati wrote:The fraudy niners. Their ineptitude from the front office down will start to show. The media might even pick up on the fact that Baalke's first draft, which was great, was with someone else's draft board. In the two drafts since, two starters his first year and only one player saw the field from his second. Baalke also put a third rounder's name into an envelope prior to drafting him in the first round and niner fans were SOOOO excited because Baalke got the guy he wanted. How is that working out?


    most of us were like :34853_doh: AJ JENKINS!?! WTH... I really wanted Stephen Hill / Reuben Randle / Alshon Jeffrey, but what can you do?

    These preseason games will be vital for AJ to prove he isn't a complete loss... we'll see. My hopes aren't too high. I think you're significantly underselling our 2011 draft, but whatever, doesn't matter.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 288
    Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 pm


  • rideaducati wrote:The fraudy niners. Their ineptitude from the front office down will start to show. The media might even pick up on the fact that Baalke's first draft, which was great, was with someone else's draft board. In the two drafts since, two starters his first year and only one player saw the field from his second. Baalke also put a third rounder's name into an envelope prior to drafting him in the first round and niner fans were SOOOO excited because Baalke got the guy he wanted. How is that working out?


    Jeez. SMDH. I love that revisionist history.

    It cracks me up how Seattle fans give Baalke no credit for the 2010 draft...as if he flew in the night before the draft and just used Scots board. Baalke was Scots right hand man and was instrumental in BUILDING that board...particularly becaue Scot was too busy getting himself hammered all the time. Lets not forget he was removed from his position because he was a freakin alcaholic.

    Moreover, it was Baalke in the big chair making all of the decisions on draft day...and he did great.

    Only two starters from the 2011 draft? Wow. That really sucks. Wait....who are they? Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick. One was just selected by his peers as the 7th best player in the entire NFL and has more sacks through 2 seasons than any player in NFL history. The other was selected 81st by his peers after playing only 7 NFL regular season games and took the 49ers to the SB in his 10th start. Wow. What a crappy draft. Also taken that day were Kendall Hunter (#2 RB was averaging over 5 yards per carry before he got hurt), Chris Culliver (played well all year before falling back in the playoffs last year), and Bruce Miller, a Pro Bowl alternate FB. Oh wait...that would be THREE starters. BTW, Daniel Kilgore is challenging Goodwin and may start at Center this year. That would be FOUR starters.

    2012? Lost in the Seattle joy of a "blown draft" is the fact that the 49ers selected injured players (getting them lower in the draft than they could otherwise) and traded for picks in 2013 because they had very few holes and knew that they wouldn't all make the team. That's why at one point they had FIFTEEN picks this year. AJ Jenkins was a disappointment last year. No question...but the way people come to the conclusion that the entire draft was a wash based on that 1 pick is ridiculous. LaMichael James is a keeper. Joe Looney is healthy this year and will make the team. Sadly, Darius Fleming has torn his ACL twice now. Cam Johnson is challenging for playing time.

    2013? Hey....now the Niners have started USING those picks they traded for in 2012. If THIS class flames out, then you have a case. Otherwise, you're full of it. I'm sure tho people will do so just because Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore weren't very productive as rookies. What bums. Its not like they were only available in the spots they were drafted do to injury. Wait...wha?

    Oh..and BTW...the Niners will either have a 1, 2 2's and 3 3's next year or a 1, a 2, and FOUR 3's depending on the Chiefs record.

    Yeah...Baalke man...totally clueless. LOL.


    Sorry all other Seahawk fans. I don't mean to keep taking it off topic...but the stuff I read sometimes is just ludicrous.

    ON TOPIC: I'm gonna add a bit of a surprise one.....

    Denver. I think Peyton is gonna get hurt.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3943
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


Next


It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online