The 49ers won the division last year, therefore...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Does anyone else not get this? I'm hearing a lot of people saying that SF is the clear choice to win the NFC West this year because they won it last year...and supposedly until somebody can de-throne them, they are going to be considered the best.

Now, call me stupid, but I always thought that what happened last year... is simply that. Often times, things are different than what happens the next year. And also, why are these same people not picking the Ravens to win the Super Bowl again? I mean...until somebody can de-throne the Ravens...they have to be the obvious choice...right? Haha.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The people that think the niners will win just because they won last year are front runners. They will always wait til AFTER something happens then they'll be ALL OVER IT, or they're niner fans. Having gone deep into the playoffs twice in a row just means that they are even MORE ALL OVER IT.

The Ravens were "just" a wild card team, so it's easier to turn away from them.

heyu123

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3xxsplqt said:
Now, call me stupid, but I always thought that what happened last year... is simply that. Often times, things are different than what happens the next year.

You may have a point if "42-13" wasnt thrown around everyday here as justification why Seattle > SF.

The Radish

Reaction score
Don't care who it is. For example the Super Bowl Champions of last year.

They are the champs right now and will be until someone beats them in this years playoffs.

Same with the ninnirs. They won the division last year so are the division champs until someone knocks them off that spot AT THE END OF THIS UPCOMING SEASON!

Remember we could beat them twice and they still could be division champs. The 42-13 game hasn't a damned thing to do with anything other than that game.

I'll give you this much. The ninnirs are division champs because the Seahawks didn't take care of business in a couple of games they could have won but let get away. And that will happen again this year if our guys don't take care of business every week.

But the same thing could be said for them. They are the current champs. If we win more games than them within the division and more games overall this season then WE will be the division champs until the end of the following season.

:roll:

Giedi

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3cooam53 said:
Does anyone else not get this? I'm hearing a lot of people saying that SF is the clear choice to win the NFC West this year because they won it last year...and supposedly until somebody can de-throne them, they are going to be considered the best.

Now, call me stupid, but I always thought that what happened last year... is simply that. Often times, things are different than what happens the next year. And also, why are these same people not picking the Ravens to win the Super Bowl again? I mean...until somebody can de-throne the Ravens...they have to be the obvious choice...right? Haha.
Football is a game of matchups, not so much a game of stats. Stats are important to figure out what happened, but that's pretty much what stats are - past performance. Most important stat is who won in the superbowl, but again that's past performance. A combination of looking at the matchups and the stats is probably the best way to predict a game or a season, and anybody who soley relies on past performance stats will always be stuck in the past. Usually the team that wins the superbowl is usually more lucky than good, but good enough to get into the playoffs in the first place.

kearly

Reaction score
heyu123":3dokwvij said:
You may have a point if "42-13" wasnt thrown around everyday here as justification why Seattle > SF.

It's hard to look at 42-13 and not think "oh shit" if you are a 49ers fan though. Granted, the real score of that game probably would have been 31-6 if you take away the bogus TD at the end and Seattle's unsustainable 3rd down conversion rate. Either way, if you watched the game, the dominance was reflected in the score. It was a breakthrough moment in the division.

Seattle won the division in 2010 but got reamed by the 49ers in December, 40-21. Those teams split the season series, but I think that December blowout sent a signal that the 49ers were on the rise. The next season, the 49ers went 13-3 and basically had the division won by mid-season. A lot of the signs of that 13-3 season were on display in that 40-21 ass kicking that, at the time, seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

The Seahawks showed that they were on another level in that 42-13 game. The only reason I could see the 49ers winning the division is because of the 14 other games. Seattle seems to have had an awful lot of trouble putting away mediocre teams on the road at 10am, a problem Jim Harbaugh hasn't had in SF.

heyu123

Reaction score
kearly":3u5vuk7o said:
heyu123":3u5vuk7o said:

It's hard to look at 42-13 and not think "oh shit" if you are a 49ers fan though. Granted, the real score of that game probably would have been 31-6 if you take away the bogus TD at the end and Seattle's unsustainable 3rd down conversion rate. Either way, if you watched the game, the dominance was reflected in the score. It was a breakthrough moment in the division.

Seattle won the division in 2010 but got reamed by the 49ers in December, 40-21. Those teams split the season series, but I think that December blowout sent a signal that the 49ers were on the rise. The next season, the 49ers went 13-3 and basically had the division won by mid-season. A lot of the signs of that 13-3 season were on display in that 40-21 ass kicking that, at the time, seemed to come completely out of nowhere.

The Seahawks showed that they were on another level in that 42-13 game. The only reason I could see the 49ers winning the division is because of the 14 other games. Seattle seems to have had an awful lot of trouble putting away mediocre teams on the road at 10am, a problem Jim Harbaugh hasn't had in SF.

Yes in that game it was a dominant performance. However it was still only a one game sample size. Any team in the NFL is capable of a down week. That's not to minimize what Seattle did or make an excuse, but I would caution anyone who reads too much into that singular moment.

Seattle at the end of last year may very well have been better than the niners. And they very well may be in 2014 as well. But that game doesn't prove anything. You have to examine and look at much more, including games vs other teams as you note in your post.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
heyu123":95zbsq2p said:
kearly":95zbsq2p said:
heyu123":95zbsq2p said:

Yes in that game it was a dominant performance. However it was still only a one game sample size. Any team in the NFL is capable of a down week. That's not to minimize what Seattle did or make an excuse, but I would caution anyone who reads too much into that singular moment.

Seattle at the end of last year may very well have been better than the niners. And they very well may be in 2014 as well. But that game doesn't prove anything. You have to examine and look at much more, including games vs other teams as you note in your post.
Many Niner fans think Seahawk fans hold onto that game because it was our SB, because we haven't won anything, etc. We treasure that game for a ton of reasons that are not that one. It was when Pete got the Harby monkey off his back. It was after that game that Seattle essentially kicked the NFL door in and announced their presence. (seriously, it was after that game that Seattle started to get really noticed by national media. The ass kickings handed out to the Cardinals and Bills were quite properly dismissed in NFL circles, those coaches were dead men walking. Not San Fran.) It was that game Where Russell Wilson began to be taken seriously. During that game our defense passed San Fran's as most stingy in the league, a title that would not be relinqushed. A regualr season game may not mean everthing, but it can signal a moment when change occurs.

Niner fans mock us for holding onto that game. I understand why. A regular season game is not a championship, and we have acted the ass over a regular season game. But here in Seattle, that game has come to symbolize, right or wrong, the moment when the Hawks became a team to be feared by all and maybe even a passing of the guard in the NFC West. The hottest ticket in the NFL this year is the Niners at the Hawks. It has been declared the must see game/brawl of the year. ESPN does not run a story about Wilson or Kaepernick without including a story about the other right afterward. Our rivalry has replaced the Steelers/Ravens for now as the hottest in the NFL. It has more storylines than any other. 42-13 is dumb, but it does mean one thing that is true: The entire Niner organization, and the fans, have to take Seattle seriously.

We may hate that this has become so stupid that 5 rings is answered with 42-13, but the simple fact is that the feeling of rivalry is good for business, so the NFL and both teams stir it up. I go a couple of Niner sites for news, and they don't report every transaction of the Cards and Rams, but they report a hangnail if a Seattle player gets one. The same goes for our sites with Niner players. I for one think this is beautiful, sports hate, as long as it is kept in it's proper place, is damn good fun.

60niners

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2unzfojc said:
Many Niner fans think Seahawk fans hold onto that game because it was our SB, because we haven't won anything, etc. We treasure that game for a ton of reasons that are not that one. It was when Pete got the Harby monkey off his back. It was after that game that Seattle essentially kicked the NFL door in and announced their presence. (seriously, it was after that game that Seattle started to get really noticed by national media. The ass kickings handed out to the Cardinals and Bills were quite properly dismissed in NFL circles, those coaches were dead men walking. Not San Fran.) It was that game Where Russell Wilson began to be taken seriously. During that game our defense passed San Fran's as most stingy in the league, a title that would not be relinqushed. A regualr season game may not mean everthing, but it can signal a moment when change occurs.

Niner fans mock us for holding onto that game. I understand why. A regular season game is not a championship, and we have acted the ass over a regular season game. But here in Seattle, that game has come to symbolize, right or wrong, the moment when the Hawks became a team to be feared by all and maybe even a passing of the guard in the NFC West. The hottest ticket in the NFL this year is the Niners at the Hawks. It has been declared the must see game/brawl of the year. ESPN does not run a story about Wilson or Kaepernick without including a story about the other right afterward. Our rivalry has replaced the Steelers/Ravens for now as the hottest in the NFL. It has more storylines than any other. 42-13 is dumb, but it does mean one thing that is true: The entire Niner organization, and the fans, have to take Seattle seriously.

We may hate that this has become so stupid that 5 rings is answered with 42-13, but the simple fact is that the feeling of rivalry is good for business, so the NFL and both teams stir it up. I go a couple of Niner sites for news, and they don't report every transaction of the Cards and Rams, but they report a hangnail if a Seattle player gets one. The same goes for our sites with Niner players. I for one think this is beautiful, sports hate, as long as it is kept in it's proper place, is damn good fun.
Now this I can respect. The ones screaming 42-13 at the top of their lungs while plugging their ears are just acting childish. This response has substance.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Radish":38518n0k said:

They are the champs right now and will be until someone beats them in this years playoffs.

Same with the ninnirs. They won the division last year so are the division champs until someone knocks them off that spot AT THE END OF THIS UPCOMING SEASON!

Remember we could beat them twice and they still could be division champs. The 42-13 game hasn't a damned thing to do with anything other than that game.

I'll give you this much. The ninnirs are division champs because the Seahawks didn't take care of business in a couple of games they could have won but let get away. And that will happen again this year if our guys don't take care of business every week.

But the same thing could be said for them. They are the current champs. If we win more games than them within the division and more games overall this season then WE will be the division champs until the end of the following season.

I understand that point of view...that they are the "defending champions" and it makes sense if you're trying to determine who the king is. My issue is when people use that as the sole reason why SF is the clear choice when predicting this year's NFC winner.

If you wanna go into detail about how CK is gonna be better, how great the o-line is, strength of schedule, etc then that's great...but i've seen too many people not mention a word about that and jump right to the fact that SF won it last year therefore they are the clear favorites this year...to me it doesn't work like that due to so many other variables.

But ultimately, i'm just complaining about the sports media and I should know by now how many idiots are out there.

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2k55qmsl said:

Right. In others words they just like talking about the Niners, who are regressing with every injury. Whatever.

Comeinpeace

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2cmxm2ek said:

357x296px LL 58d19469 the rock clap clap gif

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The most points the Seahawks gave up in any game in the 2012 regular season = 28. The 49ers gave up 42. (Also 34 to the Patriots, and almost all of that was in one half, lol.) It remains to be seen which offense will be more potent in 2013, but right now you have to give the defensive edge to Seattle. (Special teams, too.)

Giedi

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":15c635cn said:
fenderbender123":15c635cn said:

Right. In others words they just like talking about the Niners, who are regressing with every injury. Whatever.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. The 49ers lost Alex mid season via injury and still got into big dance with a much more powerful QB. They lost two starters in WR Kyle Willams to injury and also Mario Manningham in the 2nd half of during the regular season, and they still outperformed what they did in the first half. Personally I dont think Sam Bradford is in the class of either Wislon or Kaepernick, and in a QB driven league that's not very good.

Giedi

Reaction score
Scottemojo":151wi5jd said:
heyu123":151wi5jd said:
kearly":151wi5jd said:

49ers were beaten by some good teams in 2012. Vikings and Ravens come to mind. The fact that it took 16 games until the Seattle fans got a breakghrough game is interesting (when looking at it from a seattle sperspective) I thought one of the reasons that it's a milstone game for seattle is that it was the game I think where you solidified your playoff chances. From a national media point of view, I think the fact that Seattle made the playoffs and into the 2nd round is the better reason to think they are a playoff caliber team. The fact that you beat the 49ers in that 16th game catapults the 'Hawks into the realm of a Superbowl caliber team from a national media perspective. No doubt your team is an excellent team, and I look forward to the 2nd week to see how each team measures up. But that single sample size game in week 16 doesnt really prove to me that the 'Hawks are a superbowl caliber team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1l1o0mue said:

My response to that is 42-13! (Sorry iRo) 8)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":178765t4 said:

Stop trying to use that "old man" logic on me it's no fun and wrong most the time anyway.:)