Read Option : the 49ers version

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A very well done piece by Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus on how the 49ers use the read option. It seems they really take advantage of a very good O line and make use their athletic guards ability to move in space

Probably one of the best break downs I have seen to date

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... of-attack/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The 49'ers line is scary good, as we found out last year at their place.

The good news is that I think RW is a far more well rounded QB than Kaepernicknack. Teams are REALLY going to load up the box to stop the niners run game and read option, and force Kaepernick to beat them in the air. IMO this is the main reason I picked the Hawks to win the West. Wilson > Kaep.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
That's a great article, thanks for sharing. I'm really looking forward to week 2!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Yeah, it has been kind a revelation to think of each read option team individually rather than lump them together.
That is a great O-line. They want to find the quit in a defensive line.

One particular play stands out. Early in the Green Bay playoff game, the Pack was doing pretty good stopping the Niners. Kaep dropped back, BJ Raji had his standard double team, Kaep threw the ball, Raji turned to watch the ball fly, and a third Niner lineman, Staley I think it was, just earholed him and laid him out. Sure it was a cheapshot. So what. It was the playoffs, and a message was sent (the same message our guys got when they were laying those traps in our first game). Even though that game was tied at 24 in the 4th, it had the feel that the physicality of the Niners was getting to the Pack. Which proved true.

I heard a coach recently talking up the read option because the pistol formation that it is often run from is essentially just a short shotgun I formation. The standard gun is difficult to run from, the pistol is not. A standard gun limits running to a couple of zone looks because the line has to sell a pass block set, The pistol doesn't require that.

To my mind, if the pistol is here to stay, so is the read option.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Good read. So did SEA avoid succumbing to this o-line in week 16 because we got out in front so quickly and didn't have to deal with as much run/option play?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":jja0bu95 said:
Good read. So did SEA avoid succumbing to this o-line in week 16 because we got out in front so quickly and didn't have to deal with as much run/option play?
SF started the game a bit cute with passing. They tried to set up the line trap, but it didn't work. I think communication was too difficult for them that game.

Truth is, no option QB had a great game vs the Hawks last year. Not Kaep, Newton, or RGIII (though he started strong for sure). Those offenses combined for 30 points total.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":lm99x4us said:
Yeah, it has been kind a revelation to think of each read option team individually rather than lump them together.

One particular play stands out. Early in the Green Bay playoff game, the Pack was doing pretty good stopping the Niners. Kaep dropped back, BJ Raji had his standard double team, Kaep threw the ball, Raji turned to watch the ball fly, and a third Niner lineman, Staley I think it was, just earholed him and laid him out. Sure it was a cheapshot. So what. It was the playoffs, and a message was sent (the same message our guys got when they were laying those traps in our first game). Even though that game was tied at 24 in the 4th, it had the feel that the physicality of the Niners was getting to the Pack. Which proved true.

I heard a coach recently talking up the read option because the pistol formation that it is often run from is essentially just a short shotgun I formation. The standard gun is difficult to run from, the pistol is not. A standard gun limits running to a couple of zone looks because the line has to sell a pass block set, The pistol doesn't require that.

Couldn't agree more.

Lost in all the Read Option stories tho is that while BOTH SF and Seattle used the Pistol Formation and the Read Option play, neither team used it as the mainstay of their offense. Both teams were able to use more conventional sets and plays and were still able to play very effectively.

Both teams also have a dominant run game which made the QBs job much easier and made play action DEADLY.

I can't speak so much on Wilson because i watched him far less than Kaep, but one of the criticisms of Kaep is the "One Read" thing. Personally, I don't put alot of merit into it because most often that first option was open...so he didn't HAVE to check down. Thats a product of great play design, an outstanding line, and a huge threat in the run game.

There is a reason Kaep led the NFL in Yards Per Attempt. I think Kaep has all the tools to be a great one, but I'm not so off my rocker that I don't recognize the part the rest of the team plays in his success. I'm sure some of the same can be applied to Wilson. I do agree tho that at this point, Wilson is a more polished passer with more experience in a conventional pro style offense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":r1bejm1c said:
Scottemojo":r1bejm1c said:

Couldn't agree more.

Lost in all the Read Option stories tho is that while BOTH SF and Seattle used the Pistol Formation and the Read Option play, neither team used it as the mainstay of their offense. Both teams were able to use more conventional sets and plays and were still able to play very effectively.

Both teams also have a dominant run game which made the QBs job much easier and made play action DEADLY.

I can't speak so much on Wilson because i watched him far less than Kaep, but one of the criticisms of Kaep is the "One Read" thing. Personally, I don't put alot of merit into it because most often that first option was open...so he didn't HAVE to check down. Thats a product of great play design, an outstanding line, and a huge threat in the run game.

There is a reason Kaep led the NFL in Yards Per Attempt. I think Kaep has all the tools to be a great one, but I'm not so off my rocker that I don't recognize the part the rest of the team plays in his success. I'm sure some of the same can be applied to Wilson. I do agree tho that at this point, Wilson is a more polished passer with more experience in a conventional pro style offense.
Don't make this a Kaep vs Wilson thing, please.

rlkats

Reaction score
Scott you have a very good insight on the dealings with both teams. This year is a must evolve year for Kap. teams will force him to be uncomfortable. I was watching an interview with Kap he was saying he likes the read option because he has the ability o keep his eyes on the D while faking or handing the ball off anf that split second he said helps him alot. I wonder how other QB's feel on that statement.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Also, Kam's hit took Davis out of the game plan that week which probably limited the 49 play book in Seattle.

rlkats

Reaction score
Seahawks were primed for that game they took it to my Niners from the get go. Nothing could change the turn of events that day. It was a perfect game plan.

heyu123

Reaction score
Nice article. Nothing too extraordinarily perceptive about it, but it does illustrate the biggest reason for the niners success. Its not kaep or any skill guys, its those lineman and harbaugh.

That's why the niners offense and kaep will never be figured out by the league as a whole. You can point to isolated examples, but not only do you need to stop kaepernick you also need to be able to beat that offensive line. And then on top of it out think and scheme harbaugh.

Not many teams have the intelligence or personnel to do that. So because of that kaep and this offense will continue to steam roll people. Even without crabtree.

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
Here's something to think about. with the lack of receiving threats, you will see more men "in the box." This makes a team's rushing attack less affective. I've seen it in STL for years. It SUX!!! :evil:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":bav3hd8y said:
Marvin49":bav3hd8y said:
Scottemojo":bav3hd8y said:

Couldn't agree more.

Don't make this a Kaep vs Wilson thing, please.

Sorry...wasn't my intent...just mentioned it because a previous poster did.

My point was actually in support of BOTH guys who get the "Its just the read-option thing that makes them good and defenses will figure that out". That's BS in both cases.

Marvin49

Reaction score
12th_Bob":21kn83xp said:
Also, Kam's hit took Davis out of the game plan that week which probably limited the 49 play book in Seattle.

Thats actually very true. Losing Vernon was huge in that game. The Niners were driving there for a score and that hit dislodged the ball right there inside the 5. They ended up settling for a field goal attempt...that was blocked and run back the other way.....and the route was on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":2807mb6r said:
Here's something to think about. with the lack of receiving threats, you will see more men "in the box." This makes a team's rushing attack less affective. I've seen it in STL for years. It SUX!!! :evil:

Actually...that's PRECISELY what the 49ers want. :)

The more men you put at the LOS the less are out there defending the pass. The play action pass is the bread and butter to the 49ers (and Seahawks for that matter) passing game. Ever notice how in the playoffs Vernon Davis was usually open by about 10 yards? PLay action vs a stacked box.

So....PLEASE...stack the box. I dare you. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
heyu123":kw2osb9y said:
Nice article. Nothing too extraordinarily perceptive about it, but it does illustrate the biggest reason for the niners success. Its not kaep or any skill guys, its those lineman and harbaugh.

That's why the niners offense and kaep will never be figured out by the league as a whole. You can point to isolated examples, but not only do you need to stop kaepernick you also need to be able to beat that offensive line. And then on top of it out think and scheme harbaugh.

Not many teams have the intelligence or personnel to do that. So because of that kaep and this offense will continue to steam roll people. Even without crabtree.

Well...you are partially right.

It is Harbaugh/Roman.

It is the Line.

Its also Kaep tho. He is deadly accurate on passed longer than 15 yards (Highest completion % in the NFL). Remember...Alex ran effectively the same offense and wasn't anywhere NEAR as effective on longer passes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rlkats":mzceddq7 said:
Scott you have a very good insight on the dealings with both teams. This year is a must evolve year for Kap. teams will force him to be uncomfortable. I was watching an interview with Kap he was saying he likes the read option because he has the ability o keep his eyes on the D while faking or handing the ball off anf that split second he said helps him alot. I wonder how other QB's feel on that statement.

Actually, watching Kaep, one of the things that stood out was how much better a play action QB he is on the pistol looks where he never takes his eyes off the D with comparitively more struggles in a traditional drop back play fake where he has to take his eyes off the D. I don't see that comfort level with the pistol changing, he has had at least 6 years of practice in that formation.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3p150j7p said:
rlkats":3p150j7p said:

Actually, watching Kaep, one of the things that stood out was how much better a play action QB he is on the pistol looks where he never takes his eyes off the D with comparitively more struggles in a traditional drop back play fake where he has to take his eyes off the D. I don't see that comfort level with the pistol changing, he has had at least 6 years of practice in that formation.

That's very accurate... he seemed to excel both passing and running out of the pistol formation, where some of the drop back plays required him to turn his back... He's even mentioned that as part of his game he's looking to improve in the offseason.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
12th_Bob":2wn3z1ah said:
I wouldn't bet on it. Kaepernick barely targeted Davis throughout the regular season once he was the starter.

Marvin49":2wn3z1ah said:
Remember...Alex ran effectively the same offense and wasn't anywhere NEAR as effective on longer passes.
Not really. Alex Smith attempted deep passes (defined as any pass attempt in the air 20+ yards) on 8.7% of his throws. Kaepernick attempted them 15.1% of the time. Almost twice as many.

Latest posts