Aldon Smith thinks he can get 30 sacks in a season

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
With having to face Russell Wilson's scrambling ability twice per year, I'm not so sure about that. I'll be curious to see how he plays this season.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
TheGOAT#80":2afqalza said:
JSeahawks":2afqalza said:
He better hope that Justin Smith stays healthy, because we all saw that Aldon is absolutely nothing without Justin holding half the line.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark ... limb-to-30

It wasn't just the absence of Justin Smith. Aldon was playing with a torn labrum for 2 months and had surgery after the season ended.

He seemed to be doing fine with a torn labrum before Justin Smith went out. But after that... 0.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
TheGOAT#80":35qrv1lg said:
JSeahawks":35qrv1lg said:
He better hope that Justin Smith stays healthy, because we all saw that Aldon is absolutely nothing without Justin holding half the line.

It wasn't just the absence of Justin Smith. Aldon was playing with a torn labrum for 2 months and had surgery after the season ended.

You keep telling yourself that. All will be fine.

TheGOAT#80

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1ur4vif4 said:
TheGOAT#80":1ur4vif4 said:
JSeahawks":1ur4vif4 said:

Why would I keep telling myself a fact that was widely known and reported? A torn labrum affected Harvin so how could it not have affected Smith? Do you even watch football?

mretrade

Reaction score
Aldon Smith has special ability. Easily the best pass rusher in the NFC West and top 3 in the NFL. I was shocked they had him above JJ Watt in the NFL top 100.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
J.J. Watt was the most elite player at any position in the NFL last year, and I'm including Adrian Peterson in that. Watt should have been at the top of that list.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
TheGOAT#80":3bzvarn4 said:
Fudwamper":3bzvarn4 said:
TheGOAT#80":3bzvarn4 said:
JSeahawks said:

Why would I keep telling myself a fact that was widely known and reported? A torn labrum affected Harvin so how could it not have affected Smith? Do you even watch football?

I don't watch football. But I like your quack like a duck song

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
So he has a goal, if he makes 30 great, if he only comes close that's great too. I would rather have a player with high expectations of himself and possibly a little over confident, than have one with a lack of confidence.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":2q3q5m1o said:
So he has a goal, if he makes 30 great, if he only comes close that's great too. I would rather have a player with high expectations of himself and possibly a little over confident, than have one with a lack of confidence.
Just a tad overconfident you're maintaining? Yeah ok, a high goal is understandable this ridiculousness is just stupid, full stop, no pass go.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, a 30-sack season expectation is just like...Ok. 23, (.5 more than the current record, held by Strahan) I'd understand. Maybe even 25; but 30? Come on. The single season NFL interception record is 14 interceptions in a season. You don't see Richard Sherman saying he expects to get 20 interceptions, for example; and he's got more confidence and swagger than most non-Seahawks fans can stomach. :)

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I think Osi said he was confident he could break the sack record when he signed with Atlanta.

Pretty sure AP said he wanted to go for 2500 yards this season too.

Doesn't really bug me if he makes the claim or if he actually attains the goal, good for him. He just won't be padding his stats with Russell Wilson sacks, lol.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The point is both AP and Osi are making claims that are ridiculous for different reasons. For AP the goal is certainly possible if he prefers to destroy the offense and force Minnesota into drafting his replacement years too early. Osi is just a rotational player at this point and is reason number 1 on why Matt Ryan's contract is an overreach and why some of that money would have been better spent competing with the Seahawks acquiring a pass rush consisting of more than one DE in his 30's on the downside of his career.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Ridiculous is ridiculous. Whatever the reasons. :p Aldon didn't say he would get 30 sacks anyways. The interviewer just asked him what he thought the absolute ceiling for a sack record would be. Aldon said 30, Jared Allen said 25. The only claim he made was that he was a candidate to break the sack record. Which isn't outrageous since with all those Justin Smith triple holds last year he was on track to beat it.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
TheGOAT#80":1fawpjfy said:
JSeahawks":1fawpjfy said:

Smith's first appearance on the injury report with a shoulder problem that turned out to be his torn labrum was week 12. In weeks 12-14 he notched 4.5 sacks. Week 15 against the Patriots was the game when Justin Smith got hurt. Aldon Smith didn't get another sack in the regular season or playoffs.

It seems clear that Justin Smith's absence hampered Aldon Smith a lot more than his shoulder.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Niner fans have a torn hymen when talking about Aldon's torn labrum. justin is getting old, they NEED to believe it was the injury that slowed Aldon.

heyu123

Reaction score
Yep, it was all Justin Smith. I lost track of the number of 20 sack DEs he's created in Cincy and SF pre-Aldon.

:roll:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
heyu123":3d5gwig5 said:
Yep, it was all Justin Smith. I lost track of the number of 20 sack DEs he's created in Cincy and SF pre-Aldon.

So, since he has only earned Pro Bowls and All Pros while in San Francisco, he doesn't deserve them then? I mean, since he didn't do anything in Cincy, and all; and he couldn't have improved over time in his career, or anything.