Kaepernick & Lockette

nsport

Reaction score
Did you know... that Ricardo Lockette is living at Colin Kaepernick's house?

He describes his growth as night and day - based on the simplicity of the dialogue they have together now:

Just different ways of breaking the play down. Instead of going through it as if, ‘Okay, you do this if the safety does this,’ you know, how the coaches explain it, Cover 4, Cover 5. [Kaepernick] says, ‘Hey, remember it this way. Okay, this car is this color, your favorite car is red, so when you hear red, you run a Corvette,’ or something like that. Just like that, just break it down is how we do it. And that’s how we’re going to make plays happen. We’re going to make it as simple as possible and play as hard as we can into Sunday

I think we all know the "potential" of Lockette - but does this simpleton thinking and logic mean that these two guys really don't "have it"?

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1711 ... mpaign=nfl

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It sure means Lockette is a dullard. Kaep is the teacher, so I wouldn't say it means anything about him.
It's good to have a BFF.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scotte pointed out/suggested awhile ago that all this "Kap's a hard-worker..." noise feels like a political spin. And, I'm convinced he's right.

The Seahawks dont really talk about Wilson's work and dedication, reporters do. That's not the case in SF...the team and teammates are consistently interjecting Kap's "commitment and leadership" whenever possible. It's a talking point on par with MSNBC or Fox News.

Good thing for Kap is I still remember Don Majkowski...lovingly actually. The same goes for McMahon, Bosworth, Kordell, Stan Humphries, etc. I'll always remember him.

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.

pehawk

Reaction score
Plus Kap has an offensive mind on par with the all-time greats coaching him. Oh, and a great line. If you cant succeed in in those circumstances, you shouldn't be in the NFL.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
nsport":2dnm5om3 said:
Certainly Lockette had his chances here but could not capitalize - perhaps it was this inability to absorb the crunch behind the playbook... I was looking at some other analysis of Kaepernick and through my own observations, it really seems he is surviving off of talent right now. Not to take away from his accomplishments, because they are tremendous. It seems that Kaepernick is not yet very close to complete. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the main forum - but I see a guy who has created an amazing amount of success by being a major x-factor in the read-option. Defenses could not be ready for it - it's never been run with such success by any QB in the NFL. The remainder of his "game" has some holes for sure. I can't help but predict a reduction in stats for Kaepernick in his 2nd year of being a starting QB. I won't call it a "sophomore slump" - but I can't imagine it will be as good as or better than 2012.
The reduction in stats could be unavoidable, no Crabs to start the year. I personally really like some of Kaep's skills, but I also think the holes in his game are some of the most difficult to overcome. The red zone passing for instance is a mental, creative, and decision making issue that I don't know will ever be his strength. But when stepping into a pocket he throws some dimes in the 20-40 yard range he is already one of the leagues best. And he is still learning to play under center. So is there the potential for him and Lockette to establish an on field rapport? For sure.

I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions. There is a mental fragility to Kaep that is plain as day when he has bad games. Immature+mental fragility=somewhat concerned team. They need Kaep to know they have confidence. So they steer the press as best they can.

Our resident Niner protectors will chime in soon to let us know how wrong we are, but for the life of me I can't figure out why we needed press reports about how he was completing almost all his passes in OTA practices. It wasn't isolated, it was constant, and most definitely not in keeping with Harbaugh's love of keeping practices mostly private. Truth is, the public doesn't need those reports, Kaepernick does. He needs to hear that even without his Number one WR, they have confidence in him. Niner forums are full of fans drooling about Lockette, I have seen 1200 yard seasons predicted for him. Lockette is a fast wench playing WR, not a baller. The Niners searching through our trash to sign Charley Martin and considering signing that candle Austin Collie says a lot more about the real team confidence in Lockette and the rest of the WR than anything else.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Lockette is going to run post routes when he's on the field. That's it. It's going to make him incredibly easy to defend.

"You got Ricardo?"

"Yeah man."

"He's running a post."

"No [way]!?"

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2bao6sr8 said:
I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions. There is a mental fragility to Kaep that is plain as day when he has bad games. Immature+mental fragility=somewhat concerned team. They need Kaep to know they have confidence. So they steer the press as best they can.

I really like this paragraph. It reminds me of the fragility of Cam Newton. Successful and electric - some of it manufactured by intangibles (speed, scheme), some by truly great play - but not a complete player. The Debbie Downer attitude is not a leadership skill whatsoever - and portrays lack of confidence. This could potentially be the biggest hole.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
pehawk":16ys48ry said:
Scotte pointed out/suggested awhile ago that all this "Kap's a hard-worker..." noise feels like a political spin. And, I'm convinced he's right.

The Seahawks dont really talk about Wilson's work and dedication, reporters do.
That's not the case in SF...the team and teammates are consistently interjecting Kap's "commitment and leadership" whenever possible. It's a talking point on par with MSNBC or Fox News.

Good thing for Kap is I still remember Don Majkowski...lovingly actually. The same goes for McMahon, Bosworth, Kordell, Stan Humphries, etc. I'll always remember him.
Are you kidding me. Pete always brings a hurricane of praise about Wilson's work ethic. Everyone in the Seahawks locker room does.

Kap works out more than everyone in that locker room. Which is saying something. That alone is leadership. Being a presence and trying to get better as an example. Even if you don't like the way he speaks or even if you question his intelligence (which you have absolutely no grounds to support your theory that he is a simpleton), the fact that Kap is always in the locker room and the weight room shows that he is a leader.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1zizh9wj said:
I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions.

What immaturity?

gargantual

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2ov16kan said:
Scottemojo":2ov16kan said:
I originally thought San Fran was doing all this press crap about Kaep to prop him up in the media, but having watched his immaturity leak through the team created persona over the last few months I now see it as at least partially how the team is trying to steer the young man to make good decisions.

What immaturity?
Thanks for my "laughing till tears roll down" moment for the week!

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
Seriously Niner fans - he gets credit around here for what he has accomplished. Look at it through an objective lens... Immature? Sure. Holes in game? Absolutely. Possibility for a lower/less-effective stat year? Very probable.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12p7q353 said:
nsport":12p7q353 said:
The reduction in stats could be unavoidable, no Crabs to start the year. I personally really like some of Kaep's skills, but I also think the holes in his game are some of the most difficult to overcome. The red zone passing for instance is a mental, creative, and decision making issue that I don't know will ever be his strength. But when stepping into a pocket he throws some dimes in the 20-40 yard range he is already one of the leagues best. And he is still learning to play under center. So is there the potential for him and Lockette to establish an on field rapport? For sure.

Our resident Niner protectors will chime in soon to let us know how wrong we are, but for the life of me I can't figure out why we needed press reports about how he was completing almost all his passes in OTA practices. It wasn't isolated, it was constant, and most definitely not in keeping with Harbaugh's love of keeping practices mostly private. Truth is, the public doesn't need those reports, Kaepernick does. He needs to hear that even without his Number one WR, they have confidence in him. Niner forums are full of fans drooling about Lockette, I have seen 1200 yard seasons predicted for him. Lockette is a fast wench playing WR, not a baller. The Niners searching through our trash to sign Charley Martin and considering signing that candle Austin Collie says a lot more about the real team confidence in Lockette and the rest of the WR than anything else.

You NEVER fail to deliver.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am not going to slam Kaep for helping his friend and wide receiver out - what is wrong with that? Apparently they bought the house together
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... e-nfl.html

I don't care about that

What is interesting from the Lockette standpoint is the articles about simplifying the offense for Vick a few years back in Atlanta. They totally revamped it so he would understand it. As we all know nobody simplified the defense he was playing against for him since he still doesn't understand how that impacts his game.

Then this year the Panthers came out and said they would simplify the offense for Cam Newton

Now somoeone is simplifying the terms for Lockette

Clearly some guys aren't as quick and smart as others. Sherman will push down WR's the second it is allowed by the rules - smart. Others need to be told in terms like a Corvette makes you run fast - not so smart.

He could still stick in this league but these kind of articles tells me that he will NEVER run a different route because of defense he is facing. That if Peyton gave him a wink with his hand that would mean something different (like Manning does) he would not get it and the resutl would be an incomplete / interception. Doesn't mean he won't be a reliable guy just don't expect that extra in his thought process.......

As the Tyree proved in the superbowl. You don't have to be a fantastic WR to make one play that makes everyone remember you..........

NorCal

Reaction score
Gotta admit, this doesn't look good for Lockette to be able to stick around. If he can't do it this training camp with Crabtree out, then he just can't do it. One only gets so much time to figure it out. With Kyle Williams back and with the addition of Patton, he is going to have to show it earlier than later. If he makes it, great. If not, then it isn't a huge loss or anything. Basically, I always looked at him as the Niners hoping to find the diamond in the rough, so to speak.

Regardless, two out of that group of WRs need to step up. At this point, I don't care who it is, as long as they play well. It would be nice to have a speedy vertical threat with Lockette's size. At this point, and unless something changes, anytime they put him in everybody will know he is running a seam or fly route.

One of the reasons why I like to watch preseason games (on tv).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jlxr68v said:
nsport":2jlxr68v said:

Well...as one of those "resident Niner protectors"....

1) You are looking WAY too deep at this. The reports about Kaep have alot more to do with fans not being able to get enough news on him than the 49ers trying to push any kind of story. His every move is being watched by the media which is a big reason why the hat story, the sunglasses, and the body mag have become stories. LONG off-season with little to write about and a player who appears to be a magnet for reporters looking for a story.

2) Lockette? I have ZERO expectations for him. To me, he's camp fodder. He has a friend in Kaep which helps him, but everything I've heard about him tells me that he just doesn't have the tools between the ears to make it. Kaep is just trying to help his friend...and that's commendable, but Lockette faces a steep hill to make this team. To me, Boldin, Jenkins, and Patton are all ahead of him and when healthy Williams and Manningham will be too.

3) As for signing Martin and possibly Collie....this is just what the Niners do. The now voided trade for Wright is the same. They just look for competition at all positions. Hell, they have one of the best long snappers in the NFL and they have competition in camp to challenge him as well. Its just what they do. Fans of other teams always look at these moves like "OMG, they MUST be thin if they view THAT guy as an upgrade". NEWSFLASH: Not every signing is considered an upgrade. Some are signing for depth. Some are signed as Training Camp bodies. Some are just "what the hell, lets see what he's got".

4) Kaeps "mental fragility". LOL. I hate to break it to you, but Kaep played his best in games that really mattered. The only exception to that rule was in Seattle...and that was a TEAM loss. I know its popular to say that Kaep was "dominated" in that game and was like a deer in the headlights, but you guys have built that game up to be SOOOOOOOOO much more than it was. The Niners were soundly beaten that night. No excuse...but the things you guys read out of that game are mostly incorrect. In his first NFL start under the big lights of Monday Night Football he had a QB rating over 130. In his first road start in NO vs a LOUD crowd and against a team that was in a midseason resurgence he played very well. Against NE in freezing weather against a team that hadn't lost in December in like a decade, he threw 4 TD passes. In his first playoff start he started the game with a pick 6. He was so mentally fragile that he rebounded with one of the best performances by a QB in playoff history. The D on the road in Atlanta gave up 17 early points and he took them all the way back to do something Joe Montana only did once and Steve Young NEVER did...win an NFCCG on the road. In the SB the defense lapsed again in a bit way. No team has EVER allowed as many points as they did and won a SB. Never. Yet there he was...5 yards away in the biggest game on earth. His first 300 yard game was in the SB. Hate on the guy all you want, but don't give me this mentally fragile BS. Its bogus.

Now...is he good with the media? Hell no. He was just as raw off the field as on when he came out of Nevada. He isn't comfortable with the spotlight yet and he makes foolish mistakes. Don't get it twisted tho. Don't think that somehow this is a sign that the kid does't work his a$$ off or that he's somehow going to regress as a player. That is simply wishful thinking. He showed up on friday BTW when rookies were set to report when he didn't have to report till Wed. I'm sure alot of QBs do that.

5) As for Crab being out...that is a real concern. I think he'll adapt tho. He had much better chemistry with Vernon in the playoffs than he did in the regular season. This team is also still a running team at heart. If they can continue to move the ball on the ground (and with the entire line back along with a healthy Hunter to spell Gore I don't see any reason why they can't), Kaep is going to get WIDE OPEN looks off play action.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hook. Line. Sinker.

Never fails. They even know they are falling in and they just can't help it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scotte, does it ever get boring for you, being able to catch that many fish with the same lure over time? :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":sf3nxsj1 said:
Hook. Line. Sinker.

Never fails. They even know they are falling in and they just can't help it.

Yup....it never fails.

When you state something completely false I will correct you. :D

Latest posts