Matthew Stafford gets 3-year $53 million extension

hawker232

Reaction score
Worth $53 million, $43 MILLION GUARANTEED.

In my opinion, the guy is getting overpaid. Without Megatron giving him about 50% of his total yardage, he's a very mediocore quarterback.

What do you guys think?

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
hawker232":s6uh7e5d said:

In my opinion, the guy is getting overpaid. Without Megatron giving him about 50% of his total yardage, he's a very mediocore quarterback.

What do you guys think?
4-12 is just so atrocious. If Lions fans are correct and Mathew Stafford is a top QB, and Megatron is pretty clearly the best WR...that record isn't justified, no matter what else goes wrong with the defense. In any case, I doubt they find a better qb any time soon - so sure, why not.

Still can't believe we lost to them.

KK84

Reaction score
Could be worse. Could be like Dallas and Romo's contract. Now that was ridiculous.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
KK84":zz80aj0g said:
Could be worse. Could be like Dallas and Romo's contract. Now that was ridiculous.
Romo has a far lower percentage of guaranteed money, and the per-year overall average is only slightly higher than Stafford's.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

We are so unbelievably lucky. Our team doesn't have to pay Wilson for another 3 years, and when they do- and he gets a $20+ million a year deal- nobody will even think to complain about it.

Also, I don't know how good Stafford was last season, but I do know that he kicked our butts. Football Outsiders rated him much higher than most would expect, too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I bet our front office gets Wilson to accept a bit less money than other QBs of his caliber and statistical prowess when the time comes for us to re-sign him.

Just a hunch. Regardless of what he gets paid, he'll be worth it.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Going from AJ Green to Megatron... and getting paid along the way... tough life.

This contract does present an interesting baseline for both the Seahawks and Niners. I think both teams will look to get extensions as soon as possible.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
That's a large chunk of change for a pretty inconsistent QB.

I only watched a handful of Lions games last year, but it seems week to week, let a lone one half to the next, you don't know what Stafford you're going to get. There are stretches where he's in rhythm and can't miss, then there are stretches where he looks like he just gets way too comfortable and slings the ball without a care.

As Kearly said, what's their alternative? They can't use the best WR in the game without a decent QB... If they don't spend money on Stafford, they run the risk of Megatron having a year like Fitz did with no QB's in AZ.

Lions would have had a decent deal if they didn't guarantee 81% of the total figure...

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Stafford is a good QB, not mediocre. The guaranteed money is really high though. Detroit needs to secure that OLine to keep Matt off his butt IMO.
And I still can't believe we lost to them either and got tore up by Titus Young....Ugh...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Stafford can ball, and that's the kind of money that's required for a franchise QB. Especially one of the million dollar babies of the pre-lockout drafts.

formido

Reaction score
hawker232":bzmobmvs said:

What do you guys think?

Did you know Stafford is 1-23 against winning teams?

Yep, last year's Seattle win is his ONLY one. Depressing, no?

sutz

Reaction score
formido":2lme25al said:
hawker232":2lme25al said:

What do you guys think?

We're Seahawks fans. We feast on lame-ass stats like that.

:(

sutz

Reaction score
formido":iq7w4n3y said:
hawker232":iq7w4n3y said:

What do you guys think?

We're Seahawks fans. We feast on lame-ass stats like that.

:(

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
formido":2o5myb89 said:
hawker232":2o5myb89 said:

What do you guys think?

Wow, I had no idea this was true...

I retract my statement about the Lions perhaps getting a decent deal...

kira

Reaction score
kearly":12vfqy7a said:
I'd say the same thing about this as the Flacco extension. They overpaid, but seriously, what was the alternative? Let him walk and start back at square one?

We are so unbelievably lucky. Our team doesn't have to pay Wilson for another 3 years, and when they do- and he gets a $20+ million a year deal- nobody will even think to complain about it.

Also, I don't know how good Stafford was last season, but I do know that he kicked our butts. Football Outsiders rated him much higher than most would expect, too.
You guys got 2 years tell you need to resign him if you wait tell 3 years from now that would be a mistake. If his year was not a fluke(I really think he was not) You can be looking at 30 Mil a year (New TV Money Huge jump in Salary Cap).

Before anyone says he will take a discount tell he proves other wise he wont. Lets not forget he already complained about his contract this year. If you want him to "take a discount" You have 2 years like the 49ers(I Pray do) sign Keap at the end of this year and divide up the money giving him the same amount of money but being added to next year. Lets say they give him Flacco's contracts 5 years 110 Million extension you make the contract start in the 14 season so his contract becomes 6 years 112 Million or 18.6 Million on the cap. You can even try to negotiate with him 6 years 110 tell him he can help himself out long term by making it so they can sign him help for taking less plus he gets payed a year early. Then you get 16 Million per.

Now if you wait 3 years you can slap the tag on him twice each time his contract will be like 25 million then 30 million then he is an URFA in year 5 where you can lose your QB or pay him what ever he wants. Btw you will if you don't he will have 30 other teams offering it to him.

sutz

Reaction score
kira":o93m8ynx said:
kearly":o93m8ynx said:

You guys got 2 years tell you need to resign him if you wait tell 3 years from now that would be a mistake. If his year was not a fluke(I really think he was not) You can be looking at 30 Mil a year (New TV Money Huge jump in Salary Cap).

Before anyone says he will take a discount tell he proves other wise he wont. Lets not forget he already complained about his contract this year. If you want him to "take a discount" You have 2 years like the 49ers(I Pray do) sign Keap at the end of this year and divide up the money giving him the same amount of money but being added to next year. Lets say they give him Flacco's contracts 5 years 110 Million extension you make the contract start in the 14 season so his contract becomes 6 years 112 Million or 18.6 Million on the cap. You can even try to negotiate with him 6 years 110 tell him he can help himself out long term by making it so they can sign him help for taking less plus he gets payed a year early. Then you get 16 Million per.

Now if you wait 3 years you can slap the tag on him twice each time his contract will be like 25 million then 30 million then he is an URFA in year 5 where you can lose your QB or pay him what ever he wants. Btw you will if you don't he will have 30 other teams offering it to him.
You need to read the new CBA. Neither Wilson nor the team can re-negotiate for 3 years. Period. Rookies must play three seasons before they can redo their contracts.

kira

Reaction score
sutz":3rit6add said:
kira":3rit6add said:
kearly":3rit6add said:

You need to read the new CBA. Neither Wilson nor the team can re-negotiate for 3 years. Period. Rookies must play three seasons before they can redo their contracts.
so Wilson did not play last year? or do you have another QB named Wilson we don't know about?