Redzone shown on Jumbotron at Jax home games

pehawk

Reaction score
I know, I know, this forum is reserved for 49er fans and Seahawks fans bickering over Harbaugh's personality and Kaep vs Wilson. So, I apologize in advance for bringing an affront to your sensibilities. I'm sure Radish will find a reason to lock it anyways, so dont fret too much.

But, news broke that Red Zone will be shown, live, during Jacksonville Home Games. At first blush this didn't seem to be that big a deal, and actually makes sense. Then, I stupidly realized if I was Bradley I'd be LIVID. People may actually be MORE into games on the screen than on the field.

Whats your thoughts?

And again, I apologize for not coming up with a good topic to discuss. At least not as good as "Kaep ACTUALLY sucks" or Vernon Davis is a TG.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
My first thought is that this wouldn't happen anywhere else EXCEPT Jacksonville -- where interest in the Jaguars is only fractionally higher than it is in the rest of the country.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I think it should happen anywhere EXCEPT Jax. If you put the Redzone on in the Clink, it would have minimal impact. But, as with the Jags, chances are whats going down on the screen trumps what's on the field. I think this is something that should be rolled out carefully to teams with real support.

sutz

Reaction score
Meh....do we think people would shell out money for a single bad game + Red Zone on the jumbotron, when you could get NFL Network for the entire season for the same price, or less?

They're desperately trying to put butts in the seats, without the hassle of, you know, building a good team.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":1zy7dl6l said:
The next step is to start showing re-runs of Seinfeld.

Only in the family sections. The rest of the stadium gets the adult version "Curb".

Throwdown

Reaction score
At what point does the league decide that it just didn't work in Jacksonville?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ckhz2xl said:
At what point does the league decide that it just didn't work in Jacksonville?

Yeah, I don't get it. Put it in another S.E.C state.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
If Luck or RG3 ended up in Jacksonville, I bet the league would be making a huge push to move the franchise to a more solid and populous fan base.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It would be awesome if the Rams would move back there but I am not sure if St. Louis wouldn't put up a fight. Next best option would be Jacksonville and realigning the Rams into the AFC South.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

If anything the NFL should've forced Tebow down the jags throat last year. At least it would've sold seats and made them interesting.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
pehawk":1xam0af2 said:
Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

If anything the NFL should've forced Tebow down the jags throat last year. At least it would've sold seats and made them interesting.
I really don't know why the Jags wouldn't have wanted him...It would have been great from a business perspective. I mean, do they really expect us to believe that they are trying to compete?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":1dqqbtjp said:
pehawk":1dqqbtjp said:

I really don't know why the Jags wouldn't have wanted him...It would have been great from a business perspective. I mean, do they really expect us to believe that they are trying to compete?

It actually pissed me off. He earned a REAL shot by going 8-4, w/playoff dubya, IMO. Instead, Jax went with Uma Thurman's hair-double who shies away from mythical contact on bubble screens. Gabbert backs away from contact with genitalia.

Subzero717

Reaction score
pehawk":287iwc7l said:
Stephen SeaHawking":287iwc7l said:
pehawk":287iwc7l said:

It actually pissed me off. He earned a REAL shot by going 8-4, w/playoff dubya, IMO. Instead, Jax went with Uma Thurman's hair-double who shy's away mythical contact on bubble screens. Gabbert backs away from contact with genitalia.

Funny thing about Gabbert is some of the draft geniuses here were begging for him to fall to us.

shiva1008

Reaction score
I don't like Red Zone or fantasy football, they take away from focus. With Red Zone, you are missing the narrative arc of the game and going straight to the "good parts," like eating only the icing of a cake. Instead of the real thing you are getting multiple facsimiles which try to add up to be better than the real thing.

It makes sense as a management move to cater to the masses and compensate for Jacksonville's lackluster on-field product. It's an entirely predictable development in the ADD-ification of American culture. But like Professor Frink said on the Simpsons when he wouldn't let the kids play with the lawnmower with the balls popping up, "No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do."

mikeak

Reaction score
Actually I think something is needed but redzone channel is to much. There are lots of casual / corporate fans at every game and the league needs to cater to them for financial reasons.

I say go touchdown / FG only. Have a scoring zone produced centrally then local guy that pipes out the picture every time there is a few seconds stoppage and like 1st down, 2nd down not third down, not after controversial / big play etc.

I think it would enhance without taking away if done right.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Well, at least those poor fans will finally see someone score a touchdown...

I don't even think they know what one looks like. :lol:

Throwdown

Reaction score
IronSaint":1v6qlwzw said:
Well, at least those poor fans will finally see someone score a touchdown...

I don't even think they know what one looks like. :lol:

Well if they SHOWED UP, they'd see the visiting team drop a few TD's here and there.