Redzone shown on Jumbotron at Jax home games

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • I know, I know, this forum is reserved for 49er fans and Seahawks fans bickering over Harbaugh's personality and Kaep vs Wilson. So, I apologize in advance for bringing an affront to your sensibilities. I'm sure Radish will find a reason to lock it anyways, so dont fret too much.

But, news broke that Red Zone will be shown, live, during Jacksonville Home Games. At first blush this didn't seem to be that big a deal, and actually makes sense. Then, I stupidly realized if I was Bradley I'd be LIVID. People may actually be MORE into games on the screen than on the field.

Whats your thoughts?

And again, I apologize for not coming up with a good topic to discuss. At least not as good as "Kaep ACTUALLY sucks" or Vernon Davis is a TG.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• My first thought is that this wouldn't happen anywhere else EXCEPT Jacksonville -- where interest in the Jaguars is only fractionally higher than it is in the rest of the country.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

• I think it should happen anywhere EXCEPT Jax. If you put the Redzone on in the Clink, it would have minimal impact. But, as with the Jags, chances are whats going down on the screen trumps what's on the field. I think this is something that should be rolled out carefully to teams with real support.
    Last edited by pehawk on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Meh....do we think people would shell out money for a single bad game + Red Zone on the jumbotron, when you could get NFL Network for the entire season for the same price, or less?

They're desperately trying to put butts in the seats, without the hassle of, you know, building a good team.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• The next step is to start showing re-runs of Seinfeld.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

• Stephen SeaHawking wrote:The next step is to start showing re-runs of Seinfeld.

Only in the family sections. The rest of the stadium gets the adult version "Curb".
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• At what point does the league decide that it just didn't work in Jacksonville?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:At what point does the league decide that it just didn't work in Jacksonville?

Yeah, I don't get it. Put it in another S.E.C state.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:At what point does the league decide that it just didn't work in Jacksonville?

Yeah, I don't get it. Put it in another S.E.C state.

Alabamer!!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• If Luck or RG3 ended up in Jacksonville, I bet the league would be making a huge push to move the franchise to a more solid and populous fan base.
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

• They need to move to LA already so we can quit watching division games at 10 am.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• It would be awesome if the Rams would move back there but I am not sure if St. Louis wouldn't put up a fight. Next best option would be Jacksonville and realigning the Rams into the AFC South.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

If anything the NFL should've forced Tebow down the jags throat last year. At least it would've sold seats and made them interesting.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

If anything the NFL should've forced Tebow down the jags throat last year. At least it would've sold seats and made them interesting.

I really don't know why the Jags wouldn't have wanted him...It would have been great from a business perspective. I mean, do they really expect us to believe that they are trying to compete?
    Stephen SeaHawking
    NET Rookie

• Stephen SeaHawking wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

I really don't know why the Jags wouldn't have wanted him...It would have been great from a business perspective. I mean, do they really expect us to believe that they are trying to compete?

It actually pissed me off. He earned a REAL shot by going 8-4, w/playoff dubya, IMO. Instead, Jax went with Uma Thurman's hair-double who shies away from mythical contact on bubble screens. Gabbert backs away from contact with genitalia.
    Last edited by pehawk on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    Stephen SeaHawking wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Maybe the SEC and NFL can work out a deal to share the Jags? Alabama and Auburn players would be pissed having to play in the NFL for less, but, hey?

It actually pissed me off. He earned a REAL shot by going 8-4, w/playoff dubya, IMO. Instead, Jax went with Uma Thurman's hair-double who shy's away mythical contact on bubble screens. Gabbert backs away from contact with genitalia.

Funny thing about Gabbert is some of the draft geniuses here were begging for him to fall to us.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I don't like Red Zone or fantasy football, they take away from focus. With Red Zone, you are missing the narrative arc of the game and going straight to the "good parts," like eating only the icing of a cake. Instead of the real thing you are getting multiple facsimiles which try to add up to be better than the real thing.

It makes sense as a management move to cater to the masses and compensate for Jacksonville's lackluster on-field product. It's an entirely predictable development in the ADD-ification of American culture. But like Professor Frink said on the Simpsons when he wouldn't let the kids play with the lawnmower with the balls popping up, "No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do."
    shiva1008
    NET Practice Squad

• Actually I think something is needed but redzone channel is to much. There are lots of casual / corporate fans at every game and the league needs to cater to them for financial reasons.

I say go touchdown / FG only. Have a scoring zone produced centrally then local guy that pipes out the picture every time there is a few seconds stoppage and like 1st down, 2nd down not third down, not after controversial / big play etc.

I think it would enhance without taking away if done right.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Well, at least those poor fans will finally see someone score a touchdown...

I don't even think they know what one looks like. :lol:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• IronSaint wrote:Well, at least those poor fans will finally see someone score a touchdown...

I don't even think they know what one looks like. :lol:

Well if they SHOWED UP, they'd see the visiting team drop a few TD's here and there.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• This is the equivalent of a tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it fall.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Well if they SHOWED UP, they'd see the visiting team drop a few TD's here and there.

Valid point, sir. :lol:
    :les: Image :les:

pehawk wrote:I have a boner, right now, as I type this.
    IronSaint
    NET Starter

• They should move the Rams to LA, then when STL get's pissed and finally get's some $$ for a new stadium or renovations, move Jax to STL. It would make much more geographical sense.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information