Edit: Boldin re-signs with San Fran, 2 yr / $12 mil, $9 gtd

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13

  • I'm fine with it. He'll start to go downhill at some point, and he hasn't caused us problems.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26648
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • One of the leagues premier punk ass bitches on the leagues premier punk ass bitch team. Perfect match.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 929
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm


  • Already did.

    2 years, 12 mil, 9 guaranteed.

    Anquan Boldin‏@AnquanBoldin·21 mins
    @49ers fans, I wanted to be the first to tell you I’m returning to San Francisco - http://www.q81.org/thereturntothebay/ … pic.twitter.com/SgOtlLPTH7
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

    And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I wonder how this will compare to or affect Tate's contract. Boldin is a solid #2 getting 6/year. I think we can expect Tate to get around the same per year.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1085
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


  • Scottemojo wrote:Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

    And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.


    True...

    ...but the nice things are that 1) He was never that fast to begin with, 2) Its only a 2 year deal.

    Kinda surprised tho on the 9 mil guaranteed.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

    And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.


    True...

    ...but the nice things are that 1) He was never that fast to begin with, 2) Its only a 2 year deal.

    Kinda surprised tho on the 9 mil guaranteed.


    I have little doubt he is going to be the same slow as he always was. I am referring to the increased risk of injury as players age. It is what it is.
    I also think that the type of routes the Niners run, lots of rubs and drags, favor those slower runners, especially vs zone. He fits the Roman O to to a T.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • It would be nice if we could figure out something with one of our guys before free agency.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 929
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

    And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.


    True...

    ...but the nice things are that 1) He was never that fast to begin with, 2) Its only a 2 year deal.

    Kinda surprised tho on the 9 mil guaranteed.


    I have little doubt he is going to be the same slow as he always was. I am referring to the increased risk of injury as players age. It is what it is.
    I also think that the type of routes the Niners run, lots of rubs and drags, favor those slower runners, especially vs zone. He fits the Roman O to to a T.


    Yeah, but they still need a WR with speed. Pretty sure they'll be drafting one.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Nine million guaranteed seems rather expensive, considering his age. I'd say they overpaid for him to an extent; but then, so did Philly with Racist Riley.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26648
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Nine million guaranteed seems rather expensive, considering his age. I'd say they overpaid for him to an extent; but then, so did Philly with Racist Riley.


    Yeah, the 12 was just about what I expected. The 9 was a surprise.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Nice payday for Anquan with such a high percentage guaranteed. He should be able to give them 2 more quality years unfortunately.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2542
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


  • OK...this makes more sense.

    Looks like the 49ers protected themselves against injury.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... year-deal/

    "Per a league source, Boldin’s two-year deal is worth $12 million. Of that amount, $5.5 million is guaranteed on signing, via a fully-guaranteed minimum base salary of $955,000 and a signing bonus of $4.545 million.

    Boldin also has $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses in 2014. If he’s available for every game of the regular season, he’ll make the full $6 million.

    Another $3 million in 2015 base salary is guaranteed for injury only until April 1 of 2015. At that point, it becomes fully guaranteed."
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Miners are famous for per game roster bonus deals.

    Edit. Miners.
    Last edited by Scottemojo on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:Miners are famous for per game roster bonus deals.


    That and de-escalators.

    Trying to figure out that cap hit tho this year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Good player but 9million is a lot to guarantee for someone his age, we'll see
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1765
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


  • davidonmi wrote:Good player but 9million is a lot to guarantee for someone his age, we'll see


    Read the above...not really guaranteed. Only 5.5 this year is truly guaranteed. If they release him before next year then 3 mill is no longer guaranteed.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Miners are famous for per game roster bonus deals.


    That and de-escalators.

    Trying to figure out that cap hit tho this year.


    and there it is.

    Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN·7 mins
    RT @ProFootballTalk Details on WR Anquan Boldin's 2-year deal http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qkW > Looks like he'll count $3.7275M vs. cap in '14.

    Not bad.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Have to believe the Niners will look to add a speedy complement to their two possession receivers. I don't think Quinton Patton is that guy.

    With the wealth of picks they have to move up, could see them making a play for a Brandin Cooks. (Or god forbid, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins)
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 5403
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:Have to believe the Niners will look to add a speedy complement to their two possession receivers. I don't think Quinton Patton is that guy.

    With the wealth of picks they have to move up, could see them making a play for a Brandin Cooks. (Or god forbid, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins)


    Cooks is a maybe, but I think his combine may have pushed him out of their reach. Evans? Well he's got the long arms that Baalke loves, but I don't see them going that high to get another "back shoulder" type WR. They need a burner.

    Watkins? I wish. He'll be LONG gone before the Niners have any chance to move up.

    I'm more looking at guys like Beckham and Matthews as realistic options.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • imaho, too much money. Love what Boldin has done but he gets slower every year. I think this shows how desperate SF is in finding good wide receivers. Poor Vern has taken too many hits over the years and it's catching up with him fast. Vernon is 30, Anquan is 32, both have played like warriors but everyone's body breaks down after a while and I think we will see a big drop off with both of these guys this year.

    If the 49ers are smart, they will go wide receiver and tight end in the first 3 for 4 rounds. Invest heavy.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8896
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5899
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • ivotuk wrote:imaho, too much money. Love what Boldin has done but he gets slower every year. I think this shows how desperate SF is in finding good wide receivers. Poor Vern has taken too many hits over the years and it's catching up with him fast. Vernon is 30, Anquan is 32, both have played like warriors but everyone's body breaks down after a while and I think we will see a big drop off with both of these guys this year.

    If the 49ers are smart, they will go wide receiver and tight end in the first 3 for 4 rounds. Invest heavy.


    I don't have an issue with the money...especially since 3 of th 9 mil is guaranteed only if he's on the roster next year. Niners can cut him loose. Desparate? I wouldn't call resigning a guy who had almost 1200 yards and 7 TDs "desparate".

    I don't really see him slowing down tho just because his game was never dependant on speed to begin with.

    As for drafting a guy....I'm sure they will.

    TE? Well the Niners have already been doing that. They took Vance McDonald last year in round 2 and I'm sure they'll take another one this year...I just doubt it will be that high. Harbaugh loves him some TEs though (no pun intended), so you never know. More likely they'll take an athlete and convert him to TE as they did last year before they lost the guy in the final cuts (wanted to bring him back to PS but he signed elsewhere...which is why they signed a guy off Seattles PS).
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.


    ?

    I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

    Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.

    Not quite sure where you get that on Crab either. The guy has gotten hurt so I can see him being called injury prone, but "Business Decisions"? I don't mean to attack s Seahawks here but Harvin missed just about the entire season because of his hip when peeps thought he'd be back far, far sooner. Crab had a freakin torn achilles and came back and played the rest of the year at a fairly high level.

    Not sure where you get the "business decision" thing.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.


    ?

    I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

    Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.



    Marvin49 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.


    ?

    I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

    Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.


    Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.


    ?

    I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

    Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.


    Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.[/quote]

    OK, who SHOULD they have signed and for how much? 6 mil per year really aint that much on a 133 mil cap. Its only a 2 year deal.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin, I know this will probably be hard for you to admit, but I do think you're coming to love us in a "friendly nemesis" way around here. Just a random thought; carry on.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26648
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Marvin, I know this will probably be hard for you to admit, but I do think you're coming to love us in a "friendly nemesis" way around here. Just a random thought; carry on.


    LOL.

    Don't even deny it. I wouldn't be here otherwise. :)
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Eh.. I don't think SF had a choice. He was their most productive receiver IMHO and until the Whiners actually find some level of consistent production from anyone else not named Choketree the Niners have to keep him. If they had ANYONE else who could prove to be that guy it would be too much money.

    Boldin can play physical with most defenses, but his production will drop off as time goes on. For the Seahawks it is just more opportunities for Kaeperceptions.


    I agree with this here. I also think its kind of telling that they dont feel especially in this draft they are able to find another reciever to replace him with rather pay that kind of money to a guy that age. Then again they drafted AJ Jenkins in the first and then traded him for Jonathan Baldwin. Not that weve been much better drafting WR. We just sign them undrafted is the difference.

    Crabtree is like the Deion of WR's only not even close to the same talent. I mean he makes "business decisions." AKA he's a feline.


    ?

    I guess I don't understand why resigning a productive receiver is "telling" or "desparate".

    Sure, he's 32...but he just had one of the best seasons of his career last year. Its not like they signed him for 10 mil a year or something.


    Its the money. Its not breaking bank but, 2 years for a guy that will be 33. I guess with the other ahing stars the window in the short term is now. Cowboy, Willis.


    OK, who SHOULD they have signed and for how much? 6 mil per year really aint that much on a 133 mil cap. Its only a 2 year deal.[/quote]

    I guess if Racist Coopers making 5 then it aint all that bad.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Not sure where you get the "business decision" thing.


    There have been a couple of occasions at the CLink where Cabtree made the "Business decision" to pull up on a route (it appeared so to the broadcast team in the latest one) rather than risk getting blown up. (Kam in this year's NFCCG, Milloy in the 2011 game in the endzone).

    It is being smart but you aren't going to get a pass on a rival's board. Just the way it is. One of the reasons we love football is the physical domination that can happen from time to time.

    You love it if it is your guy doing the domination. You catch grief if it is your player getting dominated.

    EDIT: The clip of Brandon Lloyd as a 9er ducking going across the middle wide open because he heard footsteps is worth its weight in something just for the comic relief. That way rival fans can say the 9ers are wussies. You know it isn't true most of the times but where is the fun if you cannot get a rise out of the other guy?
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9407
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • drdiags wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Not sure where you get the "business decision" thing.


    There have been a couple of occasions at the CLink where Cabtree made the "Business decision" to pull up on a route (it appeared so to the broadcast team in the latest one) rather than risk getting blown up. (Kam in this year's NFCCG, Milloy in the 2011 game in the endzone).

    It is being smart but you aren't going to get a pass on a rival's board. Just the way it is. One of the reasons we love football is the physical domination that can happen from time to time.

    You love it if it is your guy doing the domination. You catch grief if it is your player getting dominated.

    EDIT: The clip of Brandon Lloyd as a 9er ducking going across the middle wide open because he heard footsteps is worth its weight in something just for the comic relief. That way rival fans can say the 9ers are wussies. You know it isn't true most of the times but where is the fun if you cannot get a rise out of the other guy?


    Hrmm...I guess I don't see it that way.

    As for Lloyd...nah...he WAS a wus.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Hrmm...I guess I don't see it that way.

    As for Lloyd...nah...he WAS a wus.


    Not saying I see it that way either but Crabs was pointed out by Aikman as pulling up on the route. Thus the "Business decision" aspect is going to be used. If rivals start referring to him as Pinkston, then you know it has gotten bad. I like Crabtree. He may or may not be a prima-donna but he has skills. Wanted the team to draft him when he came out.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9407
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • drdiags wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Hrmm...I guess I don't see it that way.

    As for Lloyd...nah...he WAS a wus.


    Not saying I see it that way either but Crabs was pointed out by Aikman as pulling up on the route. Thus the "Business decision" aspect is going to be used. If rivals start referring to him as Pinkston, then you know it has gotten bad. I like Crabtree. He may or may not be a prima-donna but he has skills. Wanted the team to draft him when he came out.


    hehe.

    Aikman says ALOT of stuff. He also said that Clay Matthews launching himself from about 2 inches inbounds to take Kap down about 4 yards OUT of bounds was "not that bad".
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    hehe.

    Aikman says ALOT of stuff. He also said that Clay Matthews launching himself from about 2 inches inbounds to take Kap down about 4 yards OUT of bounds was "not that bad".


    True. Aikman can get on his high horse pretty easily. Seems not many fan-bases like having him call their games. The Packers fans were on him as well.

    On-Topic. Seems like a reasonable contract. The 9ers felt Boldin gave them something, definitely some toughness to add on the offensive side of the ball. Sort of like the same thing Lynch gives the Seahawks. I bet the 9ers defense loves the way he plays. He can set a tone playing from the WR position. That is something worthwhile to a team.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9407
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Good for them and him. He looked good in the NFCCG.

    And good for the Hawks. At his age any deal has the potential to go badly. Everybody wins.


    True...

    ...but the nice things are that 1) He was never that fast to begin with, 2) Its only a 2 year deal.

    Kinda surprised tho on the 9 mil guaranteed.


    I have little doubt he is going to be the same slow as he always was. I am referring to the increased risk of injury as players age. It is what it is.
    I also think that the type of routes the Niners run, lots of rubs and drags, favor those slower runners, especially vs zone. He fits the Roman O to to a T.


    Yeah, but they still need a WR with speed. Pretty sure they'll be drafting one.



    Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2959
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:54 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    drdiags wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Not sure where you get the "business decision" thing.


    There have been a couple of occasions at the CLink where Cabtree made the "Business decision" to pull up on a route (it appeared so to the broadcast team in the latest one) rather than risk getting blown up. (Kam in this year's NFCCG, Milloy in the 2011 game in the endzone).

    It is being smart but you aren't going to get a pass on a rival's board. Just the way it is. One of the reasons we love football is the physical domination that can happen from time to time.

    You love it if it is your guy doing the domination. You catch grief if it is your player getting dominated.

    EDIT: The clip of Brandon Lloyd as a 9er ducking going across the middle wide open because he heard footsteps is worth its weight in something just for the comic relief. That way rival fans can say the 9ers are wussies. You know it isn't true most of the times but where is the fun if you cannot get a rise out of the other guy?


    Hrmm...I guess I don't see it that way.

    As for Lloyd...nah...he WAS a wus.


    He did it in the NFCCG game when he felt Kam coming and he did the same thing in 2010 when Lawyer Milloy was coming. I dont watch you guys enough but, as blatant as both of those were I would imagine they werent isolated incidents. Granted those were years apart but again I dont watch enough niners but, Ive also heard it said before more than once.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Have to believe the Niners will look to add a speedy complement to their two possession receivers. I don't think Quinton Patton is that guy.

    With the wealth of picks they have to move up, could see them making a play for a Brandin Cooks. (Or god forbid, Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins)


    Cooks is a maybe, but I think his combine may have pushed him out of their reach. Evans? Well he's got the long arms that Baalke loves, but I don't see them going that high to get another "back shoulder" type WR. They need a burner.

    Watkins? I wish. He'll be LONG gone before the Niners have any chance to move up.

    I'm more looking at guys like Beckham and Matthews as realistic options.

    It depends of how far another team is willing to move down, and how far the niners will move up.
    Another name is Lee, I have a hard time blaming him for what happened last year, he may be out of SF's range though, because if they aren't willing to move up to before 18 he seems like a perfect fit for Baltimore's offense.
    I think Cooks is a very realistic possibility though, most mocks don't have him going too high
    User avatar
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1765
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm


  • OrFan wrote:Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.


    This is all very hard to keep track of. After the Hawks cut Lockette (which I guess was the 9ers "stealing" him) and he was on the bottom of the 9ers depth chart in the pre-season the story from Hawks fans was that the 9ers were idiots for not knowing that Lockette is all measurables and zero ability. But now after he spent half the season unemployed before going back to being at the bottom of the Hawks depth chart b/c of Rice's injury, the 9ers are idiots for not recognizing real talent and missing out on his five receptions this year. Do I have this right?
    Last edited by Popeyejones on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1503
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    OrFan wrote:Niners had one they stole from us, thankfully Kaeptain one read couldn't figure out how to come off his first read to get the ball to him when he came open, so they released him. Lockette turned out pretty good as a speed guy for us, and really good on special teams.


    This is all very hard to keep track of. After the Hawks cut Lockette (which I guess was the 9ers "stealing" him) and he was on the bottom of the 9ers depth chart in the pre-season the story from Hawks fans was that the 9ers were idiots for not knowing that Lockette is all measurables and zero ability. But now after he spent half the season unemployed before going back to being at the bottom of the Hawks depth chart b/c of Rice's injury, the 9ers are idiots for missing out on his five receptions this year. Do I have this right?


    LOL. :D
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Popeye is actually pretty correct on his Lockette recount. Though, I am on record as saying I thought Lockette could be legit based on the training camp practice I saw him at, so I have a trump card; and I didn't bash him when he was a 49er, though I did mock Kaepernick's supposed ability to teach him. :lol:
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26648
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Lockette also said he changed his ways off field etc too. He put all his focus on football after being released by the Bears.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Lockette also said he changed his ways off field etc too. He put all his focus on football after being released by the Bears.


    Lockettes problems are and always have been between his ears.

    He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player. I know Kap worked with him to simplify the offense enough for him to digest it, but he just didn't get it.

    Now, if you tell him to run fast and kill a Punt Returner, that he can do in spades.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3708
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:Lockette also said he changed his ways off field etc too. He put all his focus on football after being released by the Bears.


    Lockettes problems are and always have been between his ears.

    He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player. I know Kap worked with him to simplify the offense enough for him to digest it, but he just didn't get it.

    Now, if you tell him to run fast and kill a Punt Returner, that he can do in spades.


    He was decent for us this year. He played good special teams and was and did what we ask our #4 reciever to do. He wasnt the same player this year he was when he was with us or you guys.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Marvin49 wrote:He's got the physical tools. I just dunno if he has the brains to be a solid NFL player.


    It's not just the NFL. In total in college he had all of 42 receptions for 539 yards and 4 tds. He has lived of his measurables for years now.

    Hawks fans are now sounding like Hawks fans used to sound before they dumped him, like 9ers fans sounded before the dumped him, and like Bears fans sounded before they dumped him. That now at 28 he'll suddenly be able to do something he has never been able to do at any level of football before is pretty doubtful, IMO.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1503
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:He was decent for us this year. He played good special teams and was and did what we ask our #4 reciever to do. He wasnt the same player this year he was when he was with us or you guys.


    He had a big ST play on the 9ers in pre-season this year as well.

    I watched evey Hawks game this year and I certainly didn't see anything special in his five receptions. He looked like what he is: a guy who wouldn't be playing (and let's be honest, wouldn't even be on the roster) if the Hawks' top two WRs weren't out. Basically, he was fourth on the depth chart because Harvin and Rice weren't on the depth chart, and because Harper surprised a lot of folks and busted. If all those things don't go wrong he would have never even sniffed the roster.

    (and just to say it, not simply hating, I really like the Hawks receivers and think they're much better than their numbers; just not Lockette, given that one of the few things 9ers and Hawks fans have in common is that we've been taking turns fooling ourselves about him :) ).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1503
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:He was decent for us this year. He played good special teams and was and did what we ask our #4 reciever to do. He wasnt the same player this year he was when he was with us or you guys.


    He had a big ST play on the 9ers in pre-season this year as well.

    I watched evey Hawks game this year and I certainly didn't see anything special in his five receptions. He looked like what he is: a guy who wouldn't be playing (and let's be honest, wouldn't even be on the roster) if the Hawks' top two WRs weren't out. Basically, he was fourth on the depth chart because Harvin and Rice weren't on the depth chart, and because Harper surprised a lot of folks and busted. If all those things don't go wrong he would have never even sniffed the roster.


    And when for whatever the reason he was our fourth reciever he did what was asked. Blocking etc. When Harvin returned he was our fifth and I acknowledge that and had Sidney not been hurt he may or may not have even been on the roster. He was a good STer. Im failing to see what your point is or where I said he was a Pro Bowl level player since returning here. We are a run first team so its not like we are asking our 4th, 5th reciever to do a ton as if we were Denver.

    I also hardly think you are the only one who watched every game this year. Pointing that out I l'dol. I think 99.999999% of this board watched every game.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9342
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • I think the worst argument in favor of any player in the history of football is that they "have all the tools". Getting so tired of hearing it. You know some players that don't have all the tools? Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman. Patrick Peterson and Colin Kaepernick, on the other hand, have all the tools, but neither is as good as the aforementioned two.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 26648
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    And when for whatever the reason he was our fourth reciever he did what was asked. Blocking etc. When Harvin returned he was our fifth and I acknowledge that and had Sidney not been hurt he may or may not have even been on the roster. He was a good STer. Im failing to see what your point is


    My point was that rather than Lockette having "turned it around" he did what he has always done (not much of anything), and only had the opportunity to be 4th on the depth chart (let alone on the team at all) because two guys got injured and the Hawks had a rare miss in drafting. That's all I was saying. :)

    CALIHAWK1 wrote:or where I said he was a Pro Bowl level player since returning here.


    LOLWHUT? I accused you of this where? Unnecessary hyperbole, IMO.

    CALIHAWK1 wrote:We are a run first team so its not like we are asking our 4th, 5th reciever to do a ton as if we were Denver.


    Never made any claims about this either. Depending on what happens in FA, if Harvin is out for a substantial amount of time again, and if the Hawks don't draft any WRs or have too much faith in the development of their young WRs he might even make the team again. He might even shatter his career record and average a reception every other game. It's certainly possible, I just don't think it's likely. To be clear, I'm not rooting against him either, I've just been on the carousel with him before (as have Hawks fans, incidentally).

    CALIHAWK1 wrote:I also hardly think you are the only one who watched every game this year. Pointing that out I l'dol. I think 99.999999% of this board watched every game.


    I said it because I'm a 9ers fan, so the expectation is that I wouldn't have. If a Hawks fan was talking about a bottom-of-the-depth chart 9ers player I'd give their opinion more weight too if they had actually watched all the games rather than just the occasional matchup. I was pointing out that in viewership I'm THE SAME as everyone else here, not different. ;)
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1503
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Next


It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests