Best superbowl loser NFC WEST Version

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Best superbowl loser NFC WEST Version
Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:11 pm
  • So they are showing the Cardinals vs Steelers superbowl on NFL Network. And I forgot how good this Arizona team actually was and how close they got to winning it.

Who had the best team?

2005 Seahawks
    2008 Cardinals
    2013 49ers
    mretrade
    NET Starter

• 2001 Rams.
    Los Angeles Rams' fan who lives in San Diego.

"They call it Sack City because you'd rather live in a SACK."
    RedAlice
    NET Veteran

• RedAlice wrote:2001 Rams.

Incorrect. The 05 Seahawks were waaay tighter than those loose lipped Rams.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• I mean we should've won in 2005, so it's pretty damn obvious.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Based on how the games played out, '05 Seahawks don't make it. The other two played a close to the wire finish. '05 just never got a chance to see a real game but I am not going to rehash on it.

I am not sure how you get a unbiased opinion but I would take 9ers defense and if Martz wasn't a butt-head, the Rams '01 offense. I am having a hard time trying to be impartial and being objective but I cannot pick 1 out of the 3. Gun to head, since my buddy tells me we fans tend to romanticize the past and the players even 5 yrs cannot compare with the excellence that is today's NFL player, I will choose the 9ers. Only because anything older than a couple years is ancient times.

Tough question in all honesty. Homer in me will say the '05 Seahawks.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Rams or 49ers and I base that around what the team did the years close to that superbowl
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• If Holmgren hadn't decided to convert our flippin' offense into an aerial attack in the Super Bowl after GETTING to the Super Bowl on a completely unstoppable juggernaut of a running game, we'd have one Lombardi already, despite those crooked-ass refs that made sure their anonymous bets in Vegas paid off.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I'd choose the 05 Hawks over the 2013 9ers only because we had an established pro bowl caliber QB at the helm during our SB run, where SF had basically a rookie, plus i think our secondary was a bit better and our offensive/defensive lines were better.

Plus as stated before, we flat out dominated the majority of that game, and some how still managed to loose for some strange reason?
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Re: Best superbowl loser NFC WEST Version
Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:54 am
  • hawker84 wrote:..... plus i think our secondary was a bit better...........

Until Marquand Manual went out injured. :(
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Best superbowl loser NFC WEST Version
Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 pm
  • According to FO, it would be: '13 SF.. '05 SEA.............................................. '08 AZ.

With all due respect to the 2005 team, it was a bit of an outlier season. They had 13 wins that season which really sticks out during a Seahawks era that never saw more than 10 wins in any other Holmgren season.

AZ went 9-7 the year they went to the SB, they were terrible for years before that season, and they were terrible again just two years later. They played inspired football in the playoffs, but it was clearly a fluke run.

SF should have gone to the SB the year before they went, and they have a very strong core that figures to compete for championships for many years to come.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Crap. I missed the whole point of the OP and went with '01 Rams instead of '08 AZ. Damn it Red Alice! You messed up my concentration.

Okay, I pick the '05 Seahawks before I would take the '08 Cardinals. Damn mind control.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Given those choices I would go with....

1. 2005 Seahawks
    2. 2013 49ers
    3. 2008 Cardinals
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Best Superbowl loser????

It is now official that we are in desperate need of the season to start.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• NinerLifer wrote:Best Superbowl loser????

Yeah, because there haven't been 493 other threads in the past 4 months indicating the same thing, haha.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• NinerLifer wrote:Best Superbowl loser????

I'm pretty sure that the general consensus would agree that desperation began in early February.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• San Fran is a tempting choice because they are very balanced but remembering back to the 05 Seahawks there is a couple things that stick out to me. Marcus Tubbs had his only healthy season and the difference he made for our defense was more significant than what even Justin Smith does for the Niners. In that we had a phenomenal bend but don't break defense that led the league in red zone production. Offensively we had the league MVP on a prove it contract year, the best O-line on football, an All Pro QB in his prime and Joe Juriviceous actually healthy.

If you reduce the O-line by letting Hutch walk and if Tubbs can't stay healthy, remove Alexanders contract year and break his foot and you have the 06 Seahawks. Not surprising we struggled moving forward but it shouldn't take away how good that 05 team was.

Consider the Steelers didn't have a first down until late in the 2nd quarter and after Manual was replaced by Pruit even if you ignore what our offensive production should have been and it's hard not to think that team was way better than the final numbers.

In a similar scenario with players and health, I would put the 05 Seahawks against any of the others mentioned and have no problem putting big money on it. Minus a predetermined victor that is.

God it really sucks to think how good that team really was and how many times we have put together a team of that quality only to have our one chance ripped away from us as if we aren't considered a real NFL franchise.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information