Confirmation that Jim Harbaugh = Massengill

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

    For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.
    SoHo9erFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 499
    Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 2:40 pm


  • Yeah SoHo, "We had to move every couple of years because my bro would lose all his friends due to douchebaggery" is talking about your brother out of respect; and I'm sure you're right about Jim respecting that chick he beaned between the numbers.

    How ridiculously blinded by your coach's love-muscle are you?

    Wow.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • SoHo9erFan wrote:You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

    For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.



    I know your team flat out sucked for over a decade before Harbaugh got there so you've swallowed the kool-aid to quench your thirst for victories (I did the same thing with Holmgren as our coach)...but WOW are you delusional!
    _________________
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1807
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


  • SoHo9erFan wrote:You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

    For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.

    Fact: Jim Harbaugh is a great coach.
    2nd fact: Jim Harbaugh has a history of just plain losing his shit. Trying to punch Jim Kelly, going apeshit with the Lions coach, jive gobble turkey, the anti sensitive California boy presser a couple years back. I love your guy as a villain, but trying to say he plunked a girl because he is competitive is dumbassery in defense of douchebaggery. Of course his own brother is not trying to paint him as a douchebag. But when the paintstrokes were all done, guess what picture he painted? (it was more of a snapshot really) A douchebag is as a douchebag does.

    No, I do not expect him to go all Woody Hayes. But there is a way bigger chance he might than a saner and less douchbaggy guy, like say, Carroll. Who I think is as cool as Bill Walsh was for the 49ers. (see, I respect a 49ers coach for both his coaching and demeanor. Just not the current one) And off the field, Pete is to defense what Walsh was to offense. His ideas aren't revolutionary, but his reinvention of the ideal defensive player type is gaining followers about as fast as the west coast offense did.

    I have said before, Jimmay is a better coach than Pete, though Pete is improving. I loved how Jim surprised the hell out of the Bears by turning Kaepernick loose in his first start. Pete took a long time to turn his QB loose, in fact he had to have his back against the wall to do so. But Pete is one cool sumbitch, even after losing, while Jim is fullblown dickwad after a loss. Jim's pressers are like Belichick with Aspergers Syndrome and jock itch, plus a bit of pissed off about having girl hips. Pete is more like Bill Walsh mixed with a little Sam Wyche.

    These are the facts. What's your deal, anyway?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I have DEEP sympathy for Harbaugh. You know it must have been tough to be the son of limited intelligence, with a micro-penis. To have made it as an NFL QB, but play under a stubborn freak like Ditka, who left emotional scars that are deeply entrenched on Harbaugh's cerebral cortex and to be responsible for the success of another football team. The man is emotionally cashed. He already has HBP and is at risk for stroke, possibly aneurysm.


    Just look at the guy on the sidelines. He looks like he just found out that he is spending the Night in a Federal Prison that doesn't have a condom program, roomied with the most violent offender in the joint.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 5602
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Auburn, WA


  • Saveahoe9erfan over here with his skirt up for the world to see, I love it.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19081
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • SoHo9erFan wrote:You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.



    OMG, thank you so very much for the LOLZ. This is troll posting at it's finest.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11247
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • SoHo9erFan wrote:You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.



    :beating: :smiley_boxin: :smiley_karate: SoHo9erFan :rocket: :shoot:

    You're bringing a knife to a gun fight, you should probably leave now while you still have your scalp!!!! :49ersmall:
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3924
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    SoHo9erFan wrote:You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

    For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.

    Fact: Jim Harbaugh is a great coach.
    2nd fact: Jim Harbaugh has a history of just plain losing his shit. Trying to punch Jim Kelly, going apeshit with the Lions coach, jive gobble turkey, the anti sensitive California boy presser a couple years back. I love your guy as a villain, but trying to say he plunked a girl because he is competitive is dumbassery in defense of douchebaggery. Of course his own brother is not trying to paint him as a douchebag. But when the paintstrokes were all done, guess what picture he painted? (it was more of a snapshot really) A douchebag is as a douchebag does.

    No, I do not expect him to go all Woody Hayes. But there is a way bigger chance he might than a saner and less douchbaggy guy, like say, Carroll. Who I think is as cool as Bill Walsh was for the 49ers. (see, I respect a 49ers coach for both his coaching and demeanor. Just not the current one) And off the field, Pete is to defense what Walsh was to offense. His ideas aren't revolutionary, but his reinvention of the ideal defensive player type is gaining followers about as fast as the west coast offense did.

    I have said before, Jimmay is a better coach than Pete, though Pete is improving. I loved how Jim surprised the hell out of the Bears by turning Kaepernick loose in his first start. Pete took a long time to turn his QB loose, in fact he had to have his back against the wall to do so. But Pete is one cool sumbitch, even after losing, while Jim is fullblown dickwad after a loss. Jim's pressers are like Belichick with Aspergers Syndrome and jock itch, plus a bit of pissed off about having girl hips. Pete is more like Bill Walsh mixed with a little Sam Wyche.

    These are the facts. What's your deal, anyway?


    I have no problem with what you said. In fact, I pretty much agree this is how it is. I have no problem with Jim. He brings Ws and a culture of winning. Its not hard to put up with his eccentricities when your team is winning. I think he is a great NFL coach. It is easy for some to say that if the Niners start to lose, that we the fans won't like his antics, but he is building quite a bit of collateral with the fans right now.

    He could absolutely have to quit one day due to health reasons, kind of like Bill Walsh did. But if he gets us more rings before then, then I am all good with that. Plus, I love how he trolls the media. Its funny.

    I will admit Pete has done a great job in SEA. A much better job than I thought he would do. Its not all the coaches, the GMs, etc deserve some credit too. But the HC gets the glory as well as the blame.

    And we all gotta admit we love this rivalry. It makes it that much more fun to watch. Week 2 should be epic
    User avatar
    NorCal
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 257
    Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 pm


  • I can't wait for week two. I want a bloodbath.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:I can't wait for week two. I want a bloodbath.

    Oh, that's coming no worries.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6858
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • You guys are harsh on the guy. I know it seems bias that I defend our savior coach but damn. The guy gets mad and has a hot temper and might be a dick sometimes. However everybody worth a damn in the NFL respects him as a coach and as a man. He is tough and is more competitive than anybody I have ever seen. Even when he loses he still tries to win (somehow lol).

    You can point out whatever you want but he has a fire in him that makes mediocre teams perform like champions. He makes bust QBs into assets. He makes #1 overall QBs and can craft a turd of a team into the warriors of the league. He doesn't say sorry and pits himself against the world whatever you think about him.

    Don't like him fine... but how can you deny respecting him? Too many people point out Harbs bitching at the refs and calling out members of the media... what you don't wish your coach did that? Most would shut the fuck up and take it but not Jim.

    Anyway just had to point that out. Might be our best coach since George Seifert (not ready to compare to Walsh ... yet).
    BigBay49
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm


  • He's a damn good coach and I respect the hell out of him. Love his fire and attitude. Hate his team. Love that he gives us something to hate. Honestly, outside of our own staff, he's my favorite coach in the NFL and I hate the guy.

    He'll go down as one of the greats. He may be a douche but he's a fierce competitor and wouldn't allow his team to quit on him. Love how he trolls the media. If he was here, I'd love him.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2022
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • HansGruber wrote:He's a damn good coach and I respect the hell out of him. Love his fire and attitude. Hate his team. Love that he gives us something to hate. Honestly, outside of our own staff, he's my favorite coach in the NFL and I hate the guy.

    He'll go down as one of the greats. He may be a douche but he's a fierce competitor and wouldn't allow his team to quit on him. Love how he trolls the media. If he was here, I'd love him.


    That is why you are the man. I love the fact that you can be honest even in your hatred towards the 49ers (which I respect there is a reason 9er Seahawks are now pretty much the #1 rivalry in football). That is of course because the Seahawks have got a scary team of their own. Which is going to make for some awesome football for many seasons.

    I am not one to rely on past 49er teams. I was 6 maybe 7 last time we won a superbowl so that is not relevant. Although a lifelong niner fan and a bay area native I don't throw my faith on those teams. I don't like Russell Wilson because he is so dynamic and skilled and that is a compliment. Good luck to you guys and all Seahawk hatred aside I was rooting for you guys to beat the Steelers for whatever it is worth that superbowl in my opinion (just like our bowl against the Ravens.) should have been yours.
    BigBay49
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:00 pm


  • I knew you were a terrorist, Hans.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • God I'm sick to my stomach at the whining from the 49er fans in this thread. You're not gonna change our minds, we're gonna take our shots like you guys do with Pete. Don't be so feminine about it.
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19081
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • I don't know guys. i'm not ready to say Har is a great couch yet. It seems to me he inherited a very talented, yet badly coached team. Since then, hes managed to turn that team around. Which is where they should have been to begin with. A much easier task than Pete inherited.
    Are the Niners a top notch team?...absolutely.....did Jimmay really build that team...absolutey not. Is Har a good coach because of that ?...yep...is he a great coach....nope. Not yet.
    Whats left with me is the douchy part of him.........the antics....the unprofessionalism at times......
    So for me The Douche's worst enemy right now ...is himself. I don't think I can ever like that guy nonetheless.....
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • samwize77 wrote:I don't know guys. i'm not ready to say Har is a great couch yet. It seems to me he inherited a very talented, yet badly coached team. Since then, hes managed to turn that team around. Which is where they should have been to begin with. A much easier task than Pete inherited.
    Are the Niners a top notch team?...absolutely.....did Jimmay really build that team...absolutey not. Is Har a good coach because of that ?...yep...is he a great coach....nope. Not yet.
    Whats left with me is the douchy part of him.........the antics....the unprofessionalism at times......
    So for me The Douche's worst enemy right now ...is himself. I don't think I can ever like that guy nonetheless.....

    I disagree. I think some of the run block sets and pulls that they run in SF are amazingly well coached. Harbaugh puts stress on opposing coaches to face looks they have not seen before. Or may see again. I also think he has his players ready for surprise moves. They shut down a fake kick in the SB, it looked like they were ready for that stuff. And Alex Smith stinks IMO, but Harbaugh minimized his weaknesses very well.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:I disagree. I think some of the run block sets and pulls that they run in SF are amazingly well coached. Harbaugh puts stress on opposing coaches to face looks they have not seen before. Or may see again. I also think he has his players ready for surprise moves. They shut down a fake kick in the SB, it looked like they were ready for that stuff. And Alex Smith stinks IMO, but Harbaugh minimized his weaknesses very well.


    Agreed. And who really believes Kaepernick would have enjoyed the same success on any other nfl team? Harbaugh did a great job planning to his strengths and hiding his weaknesses, as he did with A Smith. The guy knows how to coach quarterbacks. Note if A Smith somehow lights it up in KC this season, maybe my opinion changes a little. But I still don't believe Kaep would be as successful anywhere else.

    And while there was talent in SF when he arrived, you've got to give the dude credit for maximizing it. He immediately turned that team into super bowl contenders.

    I may hate him, and yeah he's a major douche, but I'm not about to knock his proven coaching skills.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2022
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • I'm not sure Scottie, just how much of that is Harb. Certainly he oversees all. But it remains to be seen if any of the schemes are actually his. Is the genius in coming up with these ideas or approving them. Both have their merits for sure. Do I give credit to Gus B for our defense?..no...I think that belongs all to Pete. Do I give credit for our O to Bevel and Cable...yes...IMHO I think they are more responsible for its success than Pete. Other than the fact Pete does take the responsibility and oversees its execution. Its something of a fine line taking the responsibility for the x's and o's and the credit for coming up with them. If Harbs drew it up and the coordinators make sure its executed properly then my hats off to him...if not.....then its more the creativeness of his coordinators than his on genius. This goes for all staffs of course. But an example of what I'm talking about would be the Bears. Was it Ditkas Defensive schemes that made that team so bad or was it Buddy Ryans?.... I'm not a true hater of Harbs really.....I recognize the fact, and it is a fact.....that the niners have turned around because of him. But if I try to balance out what he really has done himself to improve that team...and his obvious douchery....do I consider him a great coach?...not a chance...yet.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • And Hans.....did Harbs see the benefit of Kap in the lineup over Smith? Or...maybe...and I'm not saying this is true....but did he see what was happening in D.C. with RG3 and in Seattle with Wilson......and say..."hey, wait a second, we've got a guy here thats just like that!...lets give him a shot"....was it a case of Harbs insight, or a case of its a copy cat league..or a case of Smiths shoulder injury (I think thats the injury he had) and then they schemed to Kaps strengths? Either way.....putting Kap in wasn't a trailblazing scenario....and scheming to his strengths is only the smart thing to do....it had to be obvious to them that it was working in Seattle and DC. I'm just still in the camp that, as compared to Pete and what he had to deal with when he took over, and to what Harbs took over, it is Pete that should be labeled as a great coach...and not Harbs....yet.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • Not to harp too much on the subject...but if Harbs had been hired as the Hawks coach instead of Pete...do you think he'd be where Pete is at now? We'll never know right? But IMHO I would have to think not. And in those years...from then to now.....can you imagine the douchiness that Harbs would have shown trying to rebuild from a Mora/Ruskell team.....lol......oh boy.......lol.......
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • samwize77 wrote:I'm not sure Scottie, just how much of that is Harb. Certainly he oversees all. But it remains to be seen if any of the schemes are actually his. Is the genius in coming up with these ideas or approving them. Both have their merits for sure. Do I give credit to Gus B for our defense?..no...I think that belongs all to Pete. Do I give credit for our O to Bevel and Cable...yes...IMHO I think they are more responsible for its success than Pete. Other than the fact Pete does take the responsibility and oversees its execution. Its something of a fine line taking the responsibility for the x's and o's and the credit for coming up with them. If Harbs drew it up and the coordinators make sure its executed properly then my hats off to him...if not.....then its more the creativeness of his coordinators than his on genius. This goes for all staffs of course. But an example of what I'm talking about would be the Bears. Was it Ditkas Defensive schemes that made that team so bad or was it Buddy Ryans?.... I'm not a true hater of Harbs really.....I recognize the fact, and it is a fact.....that the niners have turned around because of him. But if I try to balance out what he really has done himself to improve that team...and his obvious douchery....do I consider him a great coach?...not a chance...yet.

    He was running those same heavy sets at Stanford. In fact, I would say when you add his college resume to his pro resume, there is no way you can say isn't a great coach. Unless you are a deluded Seattle Homer, anyway. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Point conceded Scottie.....with the caveat that Harbs went 29-21 in his years there, and it wasn't until the emergence of Luck that his fortunes changed. Was he responsible for Mr Luck? and the turnaround at Stanford? Quite possibly. He has definitely showed signs of turning programs around no doubt. I guess it just boils down to I'm just not convinced yet. Theres no doubt hes a good coach.......just not a great coach.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • samwize77 wrote:Not to harp too much on the subject...but if Harbs had been hired as the Hawks coach instead of Pete...do you think he'd be where Pete is at now? We'll never know right? But IMHO I would have to think not. And in those years...from then to now.....can you imagine the douchiness that Harbs would have shown trying to rebuild from a Mora/Ruskell team.....lol......oh boy.......lol.......


    You bring up some great points but for the most part Harbs gets credit for those. Deservingly? Maybe, maybe not.

    To me this is a flawed question because there are way to many facets of what a coach really is. Prepping players and in game execution are at the forefront but there is alot more that goes into it than just having immediate success. Take Tomlinson for example. He won a super bowl his first year but look at the Steeler's now. They are nowhere near the power house that Tomlin took over. Is he a great coach? He has a trophy but he did take over a super bowl caliber team when he got there so the question is still out there.

    I like your last post about where would the Seahawks be if Harbaugh came here instead of Pete. Do you think he would have taken that crew to the superbowl? How about would he have won 7 games, the division and beat the defending world champs? Would he have made our team significantly better each year? Or would he implode worse than Mora and lose the team? Those questions are still unanswered.

    Pete is more to Seattle than Harbaugh is to the Niners also. There Harbaugh is the coach and that's it. Pete is in charge of all operations here. He is directly involved and deserves credit for building this team from the ground up and getting them game ready and executing in games, all of which he has done a ridiculously good job at.

    If you were to project the long term future between Pete and John, it seems pretty easy to believe Pete has a much better shot at success because you have seen him with no talent and create a team where Harbaugh walked into a playoff caliber team in desperate need of coaching and gave the team what it needed. Sure he made some changes but for the most part that team was intact. In fact all but two starters were already there from the previous year while Pete and John made 284 transactions before their first NFL snap. What each has don has been a polar opposite of the other in that regard.

    We have already seen how Pete handles the adversity of losing and lacking talent. We have also seen how he handles building a team. We have seen him reposition talent to suit their skills and coach them up. We have also seen his team is ready on game day. We have even seen him make second half adjustments that completely took over games. about the only thing left to see is can he replace lost talent when needed but even that you can extrapolate from the way he has built this team. If Pete has a downside we haven't seen it yet and based on how he started and where the team is at right now, I'm not sure he has one.

    For the most part Harbaugh in comparison hasn't even really been tested yet. Do you think he could make Tarvaris Jackson a good QB? Me Neither. We still need to see how Jimmy reacts to adversity before we can crown him as a top level coach.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2990
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • So far Jim has succeeded at every place he's been a head coach. The only question I have is whether he can sustain that; he's never stayed more than a few years at any of those previous jobs because he deservedly moved up the career ladder. We won't know until/unless he stays in San Francisco for several more years. He might be brilliant at it, his team could crash and burn or they may simply follow a more typical up and down pattern.

    Pete has mentioned more than once that it's harder to maintain success than reach it. Overall he did pretty well with that at USC, though the team had degraded in overall quality the last 2-3 years he was there. Some of that is due to the Reggie Bush circus hanging over the team (and being used by other schools in negative recruiting). Some was due to coaching attrition in the assistant ranks. And some was...who knows? John McKay won four national championships at USC and still had years when the team sucked. That's football.

    Any way, I do think Harbaugh is a good coach, in spite of his off-putting personality. We'll have to wait and see how both he and Pete fare in the longer term.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4712
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • samwize77 wrote:I'm not sure Scottie, just how much of that is Harb. Certainly he oversees all. But it remains to be seen if any of the schemes are actually his. Is the genius in coming up with these ideas or approving them. Both have their merits for sure. Do I give credit to Gus B for our defense?..no...I think that belongs all to Pete. Do I give credit for our O to Bevel and Cable...yes...IMHO I think they are more responsible for its success than Pete. Other than the fact Pete does take the responsibility and oversees its execution. Its something of a fine line taking the responsibility for the x's and o's and the credit for coming up with them. If Harbs drew it up and the coordinators make sure its executed properly then my hats off to him...if not.....then its more the creativeness of his coordinators than his on genius. This goes for all staffs of course. But an example of what I'm talking about would be the Bears. Was it Ditkas Defensive schemes that made that team so bad or was it Buddy Ryans?.... I'm not a true hater of Harbs really.....I recognize the fact, and it is a fact.....that the niners have turned around because of him. But if I try to balance out what he really has done himself to improve that team...and his obvious douchery....do I consider him a great coach?...not a chance...yet.


    Buddy Ryan obviously but both Harbaugh and Carroll have enjoyed immense success with multiple teams. At the very least, you have to give the head coach credit for hiring awesome staff. So I don't think it's so black and white. I've never considered Ditka a great coach because he sucked without Buddy Ryan. The 85 Bears were the one hit of Ditka's career.

    Carroll and Harbaugh have both developed winning programs with multiple different coaching staff. They're both great coaches. Ditka was never at that level.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2022
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • Well gentlemen, I guess is comes down to what your definition of what "great" means. Hell, by my definition I shouldn't put Pete into that category yet...but forgive me my homerism if I do.

    Theres probably hundreds of coaches out there right now turning programs around...on the high school, college and pro levels......do we call each of them a "great" coach at their level?

    Pete has proved..or at least is on the verge of proving...that a successful college coach can transition into the pros and have success there also.....and Harbs is also on the same road. BUT Harbs obviously had a much easier task with the personnel he had to work with. Hence, he actually has gone further than Pete in a shorter amount of time. They both are a rarity in their successes so far.

    Time will tell us more here. And if Harbs and the Niners continue their winning ways (I'm almost ready to throw up alittle writing that) then I'll give credit where credit is due, and elevate him from a "good" coach to a "great" one.

    But, of course..Pete is a GREAT coach now.....lol...and Harbs is still a douche ;)
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • samwize77 wrote:Well gentlemen, I guess is comes down to what your definition of what "great" means. Hell, by my definition I shouldn't put Pete into that category yet...but forgive me my homerism if I do.

    Theres probably hundreds of coaches out there right now turning programs around...on the high school, college and pro levels......do we call each of them a "great" coach at their level?

    Pete has proved..or at least is on the verge of proving...that a successful college coach can transition into the pros and have success there also.....and Harbs is also on the same road. BUT Harbs obviously had a much easier task with the personnel he had to work with. Hence, he actually has gone further than Pete in a shorter amount of time. They both are a rarity in their successes so far.

    Time will tell us more here. And if Harbs and the Niners continue their winning ways (I'm almost ready to throw up alittle writing that) then I'll give credit where credit is due, and elevate him from a "good" coach to a "great" one.

    But, of course..Pete is a GREAT coach now.....lol...and Harbs is still a douche ;)

    parsing words between what good and great mean is pointless. A coach can either outwit the opposition while inspiring his players to maximize their talent or he can't. He can have them prepared or he can't. Harbs does all 3 from what I can see.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    samwize77 wrote:Well gentlemen, I guess is comes down to what your definition of what "great" means. Hell, by my definition I shouldn't put Pete into that category yet...but forgive me my homerism if I do.

    Theres probably hundreds of coaches out there right now turning programs around...on the high school, college and pro levels......do we call each of them a "great" coach at their level?

    Pete has proved..or at least is on the verge of proving...that a successful college coach can transition into the pros and have success there also.....and Harbs is also on the same road. BUT Harbs obviously had a much easier task with the personnel he had to work with. Hence, he actually has gone further than Pete in a shorter amount of time. They both are a rarity in their successes so far.

    Time will tell us more here. And if Harbs and the Niners continue their winning ways (I'm almost ready to throw up alittle writing that) then I'll give credit where credit is due, and elevate him from a "good" coach to a "great" one.

    But, of course..Pete is a GREAT coach now.....lol...and Harbs is still a douche ;)

    parsing words between what good and great mean is pointless. A coach can either outwit the opposition while inspiring his players to maximize their talent or he can't. He can have them prepared or he can't. Harbs does all 3 from what I can see.


    But where does he stand at developing talent? Great job with the QB's but Jenkins and last years entire draft class are a huge question mark.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2990
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • I agree on most points except the fact that the entire draft class being a huge question manr most of them did not even need to start. Jenkins was a fail last year, but the RB Lames has not been a disapointment at all. There have been evidence of player development. Just look at Smith he was according to all draft analysts a HUGE reach but with the correct teaching he came along. Then theres Miller, He was defence. Now he is a FB. Yes Pete has shown this also. I think that it shows more because of the good drafting and more need at certain positions. Lets see how he develops players now that his roster is nice and talented.
    User avatar
    rlkats
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 645
    Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:42 pm


  • Of course the definition of what good and great might imply in this discussion IS very relevant. Forgetting what traits a coach must posses to make this distinction....I'll just give you an example of what I'm speaking about. Lombardi.....Shula.....Laundry....Knoll......Walsh....in my book these guys are "great" coaches. Each in his own way brought his team(s) to greatness. They didn't achieve it in the same ways either. Each had his own set of talents that consistently brought a winning tradition to their organizations. They certainly stand out right? Then theres coaches like Coughlin, Belichek, and Tomlin......these guys are good coaches on their way to greatness (if not already there in some eyes).........again...each of these coaches have their own way of coaching. Then theres all the good coaches.......guys that have done very well but certainly haven't separated themselves from the pack yet..and theres to many of these to list here.
    So, to me, to just label a coach great, just because he has had some success doesn't cut it....this I would think goes for almost all occupations. I've had success in the engineering field but I doubt that my colleagues would consider me great though......lol.......thats all I'm saying.
    Now, in our own little .net ecosystem.....you Scottie, have achieved greatness...you, Kip, English and a few others (yes, that includes you Les :)........ when you folks post... people...including me..take notice because your posts stand out above the others. For many reasons!......lol.....
    We probably just should agree to differ on this.......
    .....but we probably should/can agree that Harbs is still a douche!! (just to stay on-topic with the OP :)

    ......oh.....and Pete is a GREAT coach (as I show my true Homerism/Hypocritical colors)
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • BTW Scottie...I've always enjoyed your avatars....is there a new one in the pipeline?
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • Sam, chill with the ellipses bro. LOL

    As to greatness, anyone who can instantly turn teams into championship contenders at multiple levels (college then pros) is great in my mind. How many can you think of? Before Harbaugh and Carroll that list would have been 3 or less.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2022
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • HansGruber wrote:Sam, chill with the ellipses bro. LOL

    As to greatness, anyone who can instantly turn teams into championship contenders at multiple levels (college then pros) is great in my mind. How many can you think of? Before Harbaugh and Carroll that list would have been 3 or less.


    ......but ......how...will...I...ever..get my...point......across? (Imagine Captain Kirks halting voice) :) lol

    Okay, I guess my idea of greatness is maybe to literal. But I can now be assured that Harbs is, at the least, a GREAT douche also. Will there ever be a Douche HOF? If there is, he's certainly a first ballot inductee.
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • samwize77 wrote:Point conceded Scottie.....with the caveat that Harbs went 29-21 in his years there, and it wasn't until the emergence of Luck that his fortunes changed. Was he responsible for Mr Luck? and the turnaround at Stanford? Quite possibly. He has definitely showed signs of turning programs around no doubt. I guess it just boils down to I'm just not convinced yet. Theres no doubt hes a good coach.......just not a great coach.


    Doesn't the exact same thing apply to Carroll? He had a losing record in his first 2 1/2 seasons as the Seahawks head coach before Wilson developed and took control in the second half of last season. If the Hawks hadn't drafted Wilson how would last season and the future look? Granted, Flynn is getting glowing reviews at Raiders camp such as:

    According to Vic Tafur of The San Francisco Chronicle, two straight downfield throws from Flynn that were described as “wounded ducks” were the highlights of the day. Barely any throws were completed downfield and several passes were batted down at the line of scrimmage.


    In your opinion where would the Seahawks and Carroll be right now if Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson were the starter heading into the season and Wilson was drafted by another team?
    User avatar
    Disp
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 171
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm


  • Disp wrote:
    Doesn't the exact same thing apply to Carroll? He had a losing record in his first 2 1/2 seasons as the Seahawks head coach before Wilson developed and took control in the second half of last season.



    The difference to me is that Pete rebuilt our team from scratch, and turned us into a competitor in record time. Schneider obviously helped, but ultimately Pete has the final say in things.

    Sure we were 7-9 two years in a row before Wilson but go and ask a non-biased Bills or Browns fan which coach is better. I bet they would say the coach that envisions the recipe, helps buy the groceries AND cooks the meal is the one to have (I miss Bill Parcells sometimes).
    _________________
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    User avatar
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 1807
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
    Location: Spokangeles


  • Despite everything that has been posted in this thread, what does it matter?

    The guy just flat out is a great coach that obviously knows how to win.

    I'd rather have Harbaugh with all of his antics, than have a coach that ends up sitting on the couch with the rest of his teams fans deep in the post season.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Disp wrote:Doesn't the exact same thing apply to Carroll? He had a losing record in his first 2 1/2 seasons as the Seahawks head coach before Wilson developed and took control in the second half of last season. If the Hawks hadn't drafted Wilson how would last season and the future look?


    Well, we declined in talent every year following our Super Bowl, and a confirmed very high-end coach in Mike Holmgren finished 4-12 his final year here. (One of only five coaches to ever take two different teams to the Super Bowl. None have won with two teams.) Carroll had to blow up our roster and start from scratch. We had a total of 284 roster transactions in his first year here. 284. I can't find if that's a record for an NFL team or not, but I'm guessing it is.

    Also, we had a losing record for one week in 2013, that's hardly Carroll having a losing record for half of the season. We never went below .500 after our opening-week loss to the Cardinals.

    I would say that Carroll has definitely proven more in the NFL than Harbaugh has despite him not reaching the Super Bowl yet. Harbaugh came to a team loaded with talented players, and 49ers fans really downplay what an advantage that is. It kind of reminds me of a roommate I used to have, his parents paid for 100% of everything including spare spending cash after high school while he went to college, and when he graduated, he had about $15,000 leftover money and no debt/expenses of any kind, and as a graduation present, they bought him a brand-new car to boot. Starting adult life after school with $15k cash, a brand-new car, and no debt of any kind is a pretty nice starting position to have, especially since you never had to work a job at all throughout college, so you could focus on school. In this metaphor, Carroll came to the Seahawks and started with a falling-down house that needed to be bulldozed, and a budget to buy a new one that would take five years, but he managed to create a contending team in 3 years/drafts.

    It remains to be seen which coach can go farther with a very talented overall roster, because we've only now reached that, but Carroll has damned sure proven a lot more than Harbaugh about being an overall head coach. Harbaugh hasn't had to play world-builder. Now, it's not Harbaugh's fault that he walked into a very cushy gig (for previously being a perennial losing team, that is) in terms of this discussion; but considering the major differences in these two situations, and all the talent Carroll and Schneider have found OUTSIDE the top couple of draft rounds, you can see why most of us roll our eyes whenever someone says Harbaugh's a better coach than Carroll. The list of things Harbaugh has had to do thus far is considerably smaller than the list of things Carroll has had to do, and as of now, has done extremely well. Nobody knows how Harbaugh would have done if he had been hired by the Seahawks when Carroll was. Maybe the same, maybe even better, maybe worse; but it's hard to imagine a better rise to prominence from being a talentless joke of a team like we were in Holmgren's final year and Mora's only year.

    So, all of that being said, don't be annoyed if most of us consider Carroll to be the better coach.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • According to most of you guys on here, you have the most talented roster than you guys have had in like ever. Does that mean that if Pete doesn't coach your team into the SB that you will be calling for his head the next off-season? You guys claim that Harbs inherited a great team that just needed a good coach to take it somewhere, which might very well be true as I am not arguing that. But after all this re-building that you give PC credit for, if he doesn't take you guys to the SB this year...what does it matter?

    No matter what a coach does during the off-season or even during the duration of a season, none of it matters unless you have something to show for all of it in the end of that season. Of course there are different opinions on what is good enough to be qualified as "something", but I think we can all agree that achieving more than the rest of your conference is deffinately "something" that every team shoots for.

    Anything less than that is just a Brownie Button in comparison.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Carroll's 3rd year of team-building resulted in the greatest season for a rookie QB ever, and our team is incredibly young overall. While we all hope to reach the Super Bowl this year, if we don't, nobody will be calling for Carroll's head. The few morons that might will get drowned out by the masses.

    Also, yes, I did just say greatest season for a rookie QB ever. Show me a rookie QB that went 11-5 or better (.687 win % for pre-16-game season eras) with a road playoff win and 26+ TDs with a better-than-2-1 TD-int ratio if you want to refute it.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I would think Pete has a wide margin of lee-way here. Would we be disappointed with a 9-7 season?...sure, of course. Would there be people calling for his job? Of course, but probably very few.
    Something would have to go terribly wrong for that to happen. That something would almost assuredly have to be injuries, something Pete doesn't have much control over.
    Roland makes a great analogy here with the college kid. Pretty much sums it up...but I have to add to it Pete didn't do it in a conventional manner either. Moving Red to end,finding talent where few others look and changing the idea of what a cb should be. He has his own vision and knows how to make it work.
    I've never argued that Harbs wasn't a good coach, for me, I just don't think he's a great coach, but thats just me. And at this point I'd much much much rather have Pete at the helm than Harbs, for about every reason I can think of. Especially professionalism!
    I would also have to think, and its only my opinion, that if BOTH teams meltdown, Harbs head would be on the chopping block before Petes. Jimmays head would certainly be closer to exploding for sure..lol
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • Trenchbroom wrote:The difference to me is that Pete rebuilt our team from scratch, and turned us into a competitor in record time. Schneider obviously helped, but ultimately Pete has the final say in things.

    Sure we were 7-9 two years in a row before Wilson but go and ask a non-biased Bills or Browns fan which coach is better. I bet they would say the coach that envisions the recipe, helps buy the groceries AND cooks the meal is the one to have (I miss Bill Parcells sometimes).


    Carroll and Schneider have done a fine job building a talented team. My response was directed to the guy saying Harbaugh didn't have a lot of success at Stanford until he got a great quarterback in Andrew Luck, and because of that he doesn't believe he's a great head coach. Wilson was clutch as hell when it mattered in a few games last season. Is it unrealistic to say that the Hawks don't win a few of the games they did last season without his clutch play? Do they win the games vs. the Packers, Bears, and Patriots with any of the lesser quaterbacks on the roster like Matt Flynn? Because if Matt Flynn can't come through in the clutch like Wilson did in those 3 games, then the Hawks finish the season at 8-8 or worse. Is Carroll still a great coach if the Seahawks never draft Wilson and end up going 7-9, 7-9, and then 8-8?
    User avatar
    Disp
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 171
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm


  • Disp wrote:
    Trenchbroom wrote:The difference to me is that Pete rebuilt our team from scratch, and turned us into a competitor in record time. Schneider obviously helped, but ultimately Pete has the final say in things.

    Sure we were 7-9 two years in a row before Wilson but go and ask a non-biased Bills or Browns fan which coach is better. I bet they would say the coach that envisions the recipe, helps buy the groceries AND cooks the meal is the one to have (I miss Bill Parcells sometimes).


    Carroll and Schneider have done a fine job building a talented team. My response was directed to the guy saying Harbaugh didn't have a lot of success at Stanford until he got a great quarterback in Andrew Luck, and because of that he doesn't believe he's a great head coach. Wilson was clutch as hell when it mattered in a few games last season. Is it unrealistic to say that the Hawks don't win a few of the games they did last season without his clutch play? Do they win the games vs. the Packers, Bears, and Patriots with any of the lesser quaterbacks on the roster like Matt Flynn? Because if Matt Flynn can't come through in the clutch like Wilson did in those 3 games, then the Hawks finish the season at 8-8 or worse. Is Carroll still a great coach if the Seahawks go 7-9, 7-9, and then 8-8?


    I love Pete Carroll (the visionary more than the coach), and if Flynn starts all 16 games last year I think the conversation Seattle fans are having this year is should Pete be allowed to finish his 5 year deal. So yeah, Disp, you are right. Though I would venture that most great coaches have had great quarterbacks. However, they empowered those QBs. So yeah, coaches rightly get the credit. Most media faces roasted Pete for the QB competition last year. It took big balls to start the 3rd round rookie over the money contract guy, and a few games into the season after the Rams loss those same dolts were spouting I told you so like crazy. It took big coaching balls to start the rook and stick with him. Just like it took big balls for Harbs to bench Smith.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10855
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Disp, we can play that game all day, the "what if?" game. You guys had two wins by two points or less in 2011, and another two wins by 3-6 points. One last-minute TD in those 4 games and you're 9-7. Last year, if the officials hadn't called that highly questionable delay-of-game penalty on the field goal attempt at the end against the Rams, they'd have won in overtime; and you had another two games decided by 7 points or less. What if those 3 had swung a little differently, and Harbaugh's first two seasons were 9-7 then 8-8?

    The "what if?" game is just pointless arguing.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Scottemojo wrote:Just like it took big balls for Harbs to bench Smith.


    It did? Only people that know nothing about football thought Smith was as good of a QB as his stats suggested. A simple offense that never went deep let Smith have highly inflated numbers. I think you're considerably overstating the gumption it took to start Kaepernick. Hell, Harbaugh didn't even "start" him over Smith, Smith got injured and Kaepernick was put in and Smith never got back in.

    How in the world do you equate that to taking a lot of balls on Harbaugh's part?
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24845
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • There still seems to be a misunderstanding here as far as my idea of what a great couch is. Again...Lombardi, Shula, Walsh,Knoll and others are what I consider a great coach to be. Harbs is a good coach in my eyes. Same as Pete. I only say Pete is a great coach because I'm a homer. I do however stand behind my thinking that Pete IS a better coach. I could take the time to say why, but thats probably not necessary because its been said already over and over again.
    If you're somewhat bothered by the fact that won't say Harbs is a great couch....I won't apologize for it. I don't think he is. If you are going to tie Petes success with Wilson...then lets tie Harbs with Luck. 2 losing seasons until he started Luck...is he still a great coach then? My friend, its an argument we can go round and round with but lets not. Most on this site already disagrees with me for thinking Petes not a great coach, yet. Lets get some rings and I'll be the first to carry that banner.
    edit: I'm directing this post at the niners fan, my .net friends :)
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Carroll's 3rd year of team-building resulted in the greatest season for a rookie QB ever, and our team is incredibly young overall. While we all hope to reach the Super Bowl this year, if we don't, nobody will be calling for Carroll's head. The few morons that might will get drowned out by the masses.

    Also, yes, I did just say greatest season for a rookie QB ever. Show me a rookie QB that went 11-5 or better (.687 win % for pre-16-game season eras) with a road playoff win and 26+ TDs with a better-than-2-1 TD-int ratio if you want to refute it.



    No doubt RW had a fantastic season and one of best for rookies, but I don't think the W-L record is a main factor.

    Old article from last year:

    http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawksblog/2019835750_rookieqbrecords.html

    Old, old article from 2004. Marino & Manning were outstanding rookies:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=list/rookieqbs

    Of course, the league was different back then.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    User avatar
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4126
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 am


  • Boy, this thread would have been alot shorter if we'd stayed on topic. Not much to argue there huh? :)
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    User avatar
    samwize77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 913
    Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:43 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Just like it took big balls for Harbs to bench Smith.


    It did? Only people that know nothing about football thought Smith was as good of a QB as his stats suggested. A simple offense that never went deep let Smith have highly inflated numbers. I think you're considerably overstating the gumption it took to start Kaepernick. Hell, Harbaugh didn't even "start" him over Smith, Smith got injured and Kaepernick was put in and Smith never got back in.

    How in the world do you equate that to taking a lot of balls on Harbaugh's part?


    Roland why do you constantly go so far out of your way to act simple minded just to spite a rival team? The coaching staff had doubts about Kaepernick ever developing into a starting caliber QB because he was so erratic in practice, let alone replacing a quarterback with the ridiculous efficiency Smith had to that point. Smith was in the top 3 in completion %, YPA, and rating when he was injured. If you're implying they could just plug anyone into that system and have that same success, then Harbaugh and Roman are actually significantly better than they get credit for. You don't have to like the team or coaches, but only people who know nothing about football would say that move didn't take balls, just like the move to start Wilson over Flynn.

    samwize77 wrote:Harbs is a good coach in my eyes. Same as Pete. I only say Pete is a great coach because I'm a homer. I do however stand behind my thinking that Pete IS a better coach. I could take the time to say why, but thats probably not necessary because its been said already over and over again.
    If you're somewhat bothered by the fact that won't say Harbs is a great couch....I won't apologize for it.


    I'm not bothered by it at all. I was just drawing attention to your point about Harbaugh not truly having a great season until Luck was on the Stanford team. Regardless of the other talent on the roster, the Seahawks probably would have been a .500 team or worse last year without the great quarterback they drafted. Great quarterbacks are just as important to a coach's legacy as the coach is to a great QB.
    User avatar
    Disp
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 171
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information