Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]

Post subject: Re: Confirmation that Jim Harbaugh = Massengill
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

I like Harbaugh just the way he is. He is a great villain. and so GIFable.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

fenderbender123 wrote:
but I'm having a hard time joining all the Harbaugh hate.

Why? You can admit he's a great coach, while still hating him for legitimate reasons outside of his coaching skills.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm 
NET Rookie

fenderbender123 wrote:
Meh...let Harbaugh be who he is. As long as he isn't hurting little girls or anyone else anymore, I don't really have a problem with how he acts. He's a fired up, emotional guy....yes...but that's no different than many other successful people today and in the history of mankind. The 49ers have a great...and I mean very great football coach, and that's all they really need from him. \

Personally, I like our coach better, but I'm having a hard time joining all the Harbaugh hate.

I tend to agree with this. Everything he does that people seem to hate on over here all stems from him being extremely competitive.

Half a dozen guys get busted for using PEDs and most of what we read over here is "just win". But its horrible for an opposing teams coach to be so competitive he comes off an ass to other teams??

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

seahawksflow wrote:
fenderbender123 wrote:
Meh...let Harbaugh be who he is. As long as he isn't hurting little girls or anyone else anymore, I don't really have a problem with how he acts. He's a fired up, emotional guy....yes...but that's no different than many other successful people today and in the history of mankind. The 49ers have a great...and I mean very great football coach, and that's all they really need from him. \

Personally, I like our coach better, but I'm having a hard time joining all the Harbaugh hate.

I tend to agree with this. Everything he does that people seem to hate on over here all stems from him being extremely competitive.

Half a dozen guys get busted for using PEDs and most of what we read over here is "just win". But its horrible for an opposing teams coach to be so competitive he comes off an ass to other teams??

It's the crybaby in him that I hate. Richard Sherman is the epitome of the "hated competitor" but I think he's great because he'd never whine, piss and moan about things.

No other coach besides Jim Schwartz is a crybaby. And they both suck, period.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
fenderbender123 wrote:
but I'm having a hard time joining all the Harbaugh hate.

Why? You can admit he's a great coach, while still hating him for legitimate reasons outside of his coaching skills.

Probably because I see it as good, harmless entertainment.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:08 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Jim Harbaugh is a mouth queafer.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:09 pm 
NET Veteran

Trenchbroom wrote:
seahawksflow wrote:
fenderbender123 wrote:

It's the crybaby in him that I hate. Richard Sherman is the epitome of the "hated competitor" but I think he's great because he'd never whine, piss and moan about things.

No other coach besides Jim Schwartz is a crybaby. And they both suck, period.

I'll give you that he gets pissed when things don't go his way...but I can't see a reason to hate him for it.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
* NET Baller *

Looks as if dudes always been a scum bag.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:10 pm 
NET Rookie

Scottemojo wrote:

:D
you're right! He does have some great ones, and for that matter so does carroll.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

fenderbender123 wrote:

I'll give you that he gets pissed when things don't go his way...but I can't see a reason to hate him for it.

Respect. Most coaches have it, he has none. And the article confirms he's been classless since he left the womb (hell he probably kicked Mama in the kidneys on the way out of the chute).

That's the thing about the Niners--since Mooch left their head coaches have all had something wrong:

Erickson = let's not go there, both groups of fans have his taint on us
Nolan = classy person/crap coach (I really liked him choosing to wear suits on the sidelines. Nice touch!)
Singletary = crybaby/crap coach ('nuff said)
Harbaugh = crybaby/good coach

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

Mouth queafer

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm 
* NET Baller *

Trenchbroom wrote:
fenderbender123 wrote:

Respect. Most coaches have it, he has none. And the article confirms he's been classless since he left the womb (hell he probably kicked Mama in the kidneys on the way out of the chute).

That's the thing about the Niners--since Mooch left their head coaches have all had something wrong:

Erickson = let's not go there, both groups of fans have his taint on us
Nolan = classy person/crap coach (I really liked him choosing to wear suits on the sidelines. Nice touch!)
Singletary = crybaby/crap coach ('nuff said)
Harbaugh = crybaby/good coach

Haha remember when these chumps were "Rollin' with Nolan"?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:12 pm 
NET Veteran

NinerBuff wrote:
Trenchbroom wrote:
As long as he's winning, all's well. But when the inevitable losses come and he starts to squirt epithets and anger at his players like a d-nozzle with a full reservoir, his end will come. :0190l:

He has only nice (and sometimes over-the-top nice) things to say to his players and coaches.

Praised Alex Smith during lockout, Praised Crabtree "Best Hands Ever", Praised Jenkins this year...

I think Sherman and Baldwin would disagree with you there and that's the point. When things aren't going his way he acts like a spoiled child.

It seems pretty apparent his own brother doesn't agree with you either.

Hitting a girl with the ball, punching Jim Kelly (to be fair he was swinging at someone else and missed) sideline antics, dropping Sherman to the bottom of the receiver depth chart for not playing injured, not substituting his starters to the point of deterioration that probably pissed off some of the backups on and on. The guy is a combination of competitive at a childish level and angry at a immature level.

He has not spent a long tenure anywhere he went and is only going into year three of this one. The leadership questions are starting to come out and if the team struggles and he handles it in the way most expect, he will absolutely lose the team.

Just like many fans want to see how a QB does for more than one year, the same question comes up for Harbaugh. His passion for the game is what drives his players because that is all they know but once they learn more then respect has to take over and that gets hard to garner when acting like a spoiled child. Telling your players you need to be above reproach works until they find out your not above it yourself.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:27 pm 
NET Veteran

Trenchbroom wrote:
fenderbender123 wrote:

I don't find him to be disrespectful. Hell he was nice enough to have his picture taken with that fan on this site wearing Mariners stuff. Has he had a few emotional outbursts? Yeah...but he isn't really damaging anybody or anything with that. The only thing he might be damaging is the feelings of the referees and maybe some players on the field. I'll admit that punching a guy in the face is disrespectful but that was a long time ago and I'd be willing to bet that he'll never hit another person again.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:10 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
I look forward to Singletary Meltdown Mode. If the Niners drop the first two games, I think it might happen then. Hell, I'd love to see it happen on the sideline at our house in the 4th quarter. Sweet, sweet tears. Nectar of the gods, I say.
:th2thumbs:
<in Butthead's voice> That'd be cool! Huh huh, Huh huh!

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:45 pm 
NET Veteran

Jim Harbaugh: "Mommy, John only won the Superbowl, because they were HOLDING!"

Momma Harbaugh: "Boys, play nice now"

John Harbaugh: "Bro, don't be a sore loser. If it makes you feel better, I'll give you Anquan Boldin for dirt cheap!"

Jim Harbaugh: "Can I have Jacoby Jones too?"

John Harbaugh: "No."

Jim Harbaugh: "Fine then! How about some cake??"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

NinerBuff wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:

:D
you're right! He does have some great ones, and for that matter so does carroll.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:23 am 
* NET Baller *

Pete's swag on a 400 thousand million, Harbaugh bitchmode is right on par.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
NET Veteran

'It's time to move, dad. I've lost all my friends.'

lol perfect

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 am 
NET Veteran

What I got from the article... Jim Harbaugh has been a major pissy jack-off his whole life... an absolute total jerk.

I wonder if his dad ever confronted him about his behavior/attitude being unacceptable when he was young.

Likely not.

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:31 pm 
NET Veteran

You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Yeah SoHo, "We had to move every couple of years because my bro would lose all his friends due to douchebaggery" is talking about your brother out of respect; and I'm sure you're right about Jim respecting that chick he beaned between the numbers.

How ridiculously blinded by your coach's love-muscle are you?

Wow.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

SoHo9erFan wrote:
You guys are kind of sad. John didn't tell these stories to represent his brother as a douchebag. He told them out of respect and brazen humor. In all honesty, Jim is so competitive that he wouldn't let a woman's gender from affecting the way he plays the game. Hell, Jim probably respected the female baseball player.

For those waiting for a catastrophe and the beginning of the end for the Harbaugh regime, don't hold your breath. The 49ers have a good locker room and a good coaching staff. Harbaugh isn't going to start attacking his players and causing a disturbance in the locker room.

I know your team flat out sucked for over a decade before Harbaugh got there so you've swallowed the kool-aid to quench your thirst for victories (I did the same thing with Holmgren as our coach)...but WOW are you delusional!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:24 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

SoHo9erFan wrote:

Fact: Jim Harbaugh is a great coach.
2nd fact: Jim Harbaugh has a history of just plain losing his shit. Trying to punch Jim Kelly, going apeshit with the Lions coach, jive gobble turkey, the anti sensitive California boy presser a couple years back. I love your guy as a villain, but trying to say he plunked a girl because he is competitive is dumbassery in defense of douchebaggery. Of course his own brother is not trying to paint him as a douchebag. But when the paintstrokes were all done, guess what picture he painted? (it was more of a snapshot really) A douchebag is as a douchebag does.

No, I do not expect him to go all Woody Hayes. But there is a way bigger chance he might than a saner and less douchbaggy guy, like say, Carroll. Who I think is as cool as Bill Walsh was for the 49ers. (see, I respect a 49ers coach for both his coaching and demeanor. Just not the current one) And off the field, Pete is to defense what Walsh was to offense. His ideas aren't revolutionary, but his reinvention of the ideal defensive player type is gaining followers about as fast as the west coast offense did.

I have said before, Jimmay is a better coach than Pete, though Pete is improving. I loved how Jim surprised the hell out of the Bears by turning Kaepernick loose in his first start. Pete took a long time to turn his QB loose, in fact he had to have his back against the wall to do so. But Pete is one cool sumbitch, even after losing, while Jim is fullblown dickwad after a loss. Jim's pressers are like Belichick with Aspergers Syndrome and jock itch, plus a bit of pissed off about having girl hips. Pete is more like Bill Walsh mixed with a little Sam Wyche.

These are the facts. What's your deal, anyway?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:24 am 
I'M JIMMY!

I have DEEP sympathy for Harbaugh. You know it must have been tough to be the son of limited intelligence, with a micro-penis. To have made it as an NFL QB, but play under a stubborn freak like Ditka, who left emotional scars that are deeply entrenched on Harbaugh's cerebral cortex and to be responsible for the success of another football team. The man is emotionally cashed. He already has HBP and is at risk for stroke, possibly aneurysm.

Just look at the guy on the sidelines. He looks like he just found out that he is spending the Night in a Federal Prison that doesn't have a condom program, roomied with the most violent offender in the joint.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:41 am 
* NET Baller *

Saveahoe9erfan over here with his skirt up for the world to see, I love it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:44 am 
* Gangnameister *

SoHo9erFan wrote:

OMG, thank you so very much for the LOLZ. This is troll posting at it's finest.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 am 
NET Veteran

Quote:
SoHo9erFan wrote:

:beating: :smiley_boxin: :smiley_karate: SoHo9erFan :rocket: :shoot:

You're bringing a knife to a gun fight, you should probably leave now while you still have your scalp!!!! :49ersmall:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:59 am 
NET Rookie

Scottemojo wrote:
SoHo9erFan wrote:

Fact: Jim Harbaugh is a great coach.
2nd fact: Jim Harbaugh has a history of just plain losing his shit. Trying to punch Jim Kelly, going apeshit with the Lions coach, jive gobble turkey, the anti sensitive California boy presser a couple years back. I love your guy as a villain, but trying to say he plunked a girl because he is competitive is dumbassery in defense of douchebaggery. Of course his own brother is not trying to paint him as a douchebag. But when the paintstrokes were all done, guess what picture he painted? (it was more of a snapshot really) A douchebag is as a douchebag does.

No, I do not expect him to go all Woody Hayes. But there is a way bigger chance he might than a saner and less douchbaggy guy, like say, Carroll. Who I think is as cool as Bill Walsh was for the 49ers. (see, I respect a 49ers coach for both his coaching and demeanor. Just not the current one) And off the field, Pete is to defense what Walsh was to offense. His ideas aren't revolutionary, but his reinvention of the ideal defensive player type is gaining followers about as fast as the west coast offense did.

I have said before, Jimmay is a better coach than Pete, though Pete is improving. I loved how Jim surprised the hell out of the Bears by turning Kaepernick loose in his first start. Pete took a long time to turn his QB loose, in fact he had to have his back against the wall to do so. But Pete is one cool sumbitch, even after losing, while Jim is fullblown dickwad after a loss. Jim's pressers are like Belichick with Aspergers Syndrome and jock itch, plus a bit of pissed off about having girl hips. Pete is more like Bill Walsh mixed with a little Sam Wyche.

These are the facts. What's your deal, anyway?

I have no problem with what you said. In fact, I pretty much agree this is how it is. I have no problem with Jim. He brings Ws and a culture of winning. Its not hard to put up with his eccentricities when your team is winning. I think he is a great NFL coach. It is easy for some to say that if the Niners start to lose, that we the fans won't like his antics, but he is building quite a bit of collateral with the fans right now.

He could absolutely have to quit one day due to health reasons, kind of like Bill Walsh did. But if he gets us more rings before then, then I am all good with that. Plus, I love how he trolls the media. Its funny.

I will admit Pete has done a great job in SEA. A much better job than I thought he would do. Its not all the coaches, the GMs, etc deserve some credit too. But the HC gets the glory as well as the blame.

And we all gotta admit we love this rivalry. It makes it that much more fun to watch. Week 2 should be epic

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

I can't wait for week two. I want a bloodbath.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:12 am 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
I can't wait for week two. I want a bloodbath.

Oh, that's coming no worries.:)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:27 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

You guys are harsh on the guy. I know it seems bias that I defend our savior coach but damn. The guy gets mad and has a hot temper and might be a dick sometimes. However everybody worth a damn in the NFL respects him as a coach and as a man. He is tough and is more competitive than anybody I have ever seen. Even when he loses he still tries to win (somehow lol).

You can point out whatever you want but he has a fire in him that makes mediocre teams perform like champions. He makes bust QBs into assets. He makes #1 overall QBs and can craft a turd of a team into the warriors of the league. He doesn't say sorry and pits himself against the world whatever you think about him.

Don't like him fine... but how can you deny respecting him? Too many people point out Harbs bitching at the refs and calling out members of the media... what you don't wish your coach did that? Most would shut the fuck up and take it but not Jim.

Anyway just had to point that out. Might be our best coach since George Seifert (not ready to compare to Walsh ... yet).

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran

He's a damn good coach and I respect the hell out of him. Love his fire and attitude. Hate his team. Love that he gives us something to hate. Honestly, outside of our own staff, he's my favorite coach in the NFL and I hate the guy.

He'll go down as one of the greats. He may be a douche but he's a fierce competitor and wouldn't allow his team to quit on him. Love how he trolls the media. If he was here, I'd love him.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:52 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

HansGruber wrote:
He's a damn good coach and I respect the hell out of him. Love his fire and attitude. Hate his team. Love that he gives us something to hate. Honestly, outside of our own staff, he's my favorite coach in the NFL and I hate the guy.

He'll go down as one of the greats. He may be a douche but he's a fierce competitor and wouldn't allow his team to quit on him. Love how he trolls the media. If he was here, I'd love him.

That is why you are the man. I love the fact that you can be honest even in your hatred towards the 49ers (which I respect there is a reason 9er Seahawks are now pretty much the #1 rivalry in football). That is of course because the Seahawks have got a scary team of their own. Which is going to make for some awesome football for many seasons.

I am not one to rely on past 49er teams. I was 6 maybe 7 last time we won a superbowl so that is not relevant. Although a lifelong niner fan and a bay area native I don't throw my faith on those teams. I don't like Russell Wilson because he is so dynamic and skilled and that is a compliment. Good luck to you guys and all Seahawk hatred aside I was rooting for you guys to beat the Steelers for whatever it is worth that superbowl in my opinion (just like our bowl against the Ravens.) should have been yours.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:12 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*

I knew you were a terrorist, Hans.

*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:51 am 
* NET Baller *

God I'm sick to my stomach at the whining from the 49er fans in this thread. You're not gonna change our minds, we're gonna take our shots like you guys do with Pete. Don't be so feminine about it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:03 am 
NET Veteran

I don't know guys. i'm not ready to say Har is a great couch yet. It seems to me he inherited a very talented, yet badly coached team. Since then, hes managed to turn that team around. Which is where they should have been to begin with. A much easier task than Pete inherited.
Are the Niners a top notch team?...absolutely.....did Jimmay really build that team...absolutey not. Is Har a good coach because of that ?...yep...is he a great coach....nope. Not yet.
Whats left with me is the douchy part of him.........the antics....the unprofessionalism at times......
So for me The Douche's worst enemy right now ...is himself. I don't think I can ever like that guy nonetheless.....

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:17 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

samwize77 wrote:
I don't know guys. i'm not ready to say Har is a great couch yet. It seems to me he inherited a very talented, yet badly coached team. Since then, hes managed to turn that team around. Which is where they should have been to begin with. A much easier task than Pete inherited.
Are the Niners a top notch team?...absolutely.....did Jimmay really build that team...absolutey not. Is Har a good coach because of that ?...yep...is he a great coach....nope. Not yet.
Whats left with me is the douchy part of him.........the antics....the unprofessionalism at times......
So for me The Douche's worst enemy right now ...is himself. I don't think I can ever like that guy nonetheless.....

I disagree. I think some of the run block sets and pulls that they run in SF are amazingly well coached. Harbaugh puts stress on opposing coaches to face looks they have not seen before. Or may see again. I also think he has his players ready for surprise moves. They shut down a fake kick in the SB, it looked like they were ready for that stuff. And Alex Smith stinks IMO, but Harbaugh minimized his weaknesses very well.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 am 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
I disagree. I think some of the run block sets and pulls that they run in SF are amazingly well coached. Harbaugh puts stress on opposing coaches to face looks they have not seen before. Or may see again. I also think he has his players ready for surprise moves. They shut down a fake kick in the SB, it looked like they were ready for that stuff. And Alex Smith stinks IMO, but Harbaugh minimized his weaknesses very well.

Agreed. And who really believes Kaepernick would have enjoyed the same success on any other nfl team? Harbaugh did a great job planning to his strengths and hiding his weaknesses, as he did with A Smith. The guy knows how to coach quarterbacks. Note if A Smith somehow lights it up in KC this season, maybe my opinion changes a little. But I still don't believe Kaep would be as successful anywhere else.

And while there was talent in SF when he arrived, you've got to give the dude credit for maximizing it. He immediately turned that team into super bowl contenders.

I may hate him, and yeah he's a major douche, but I'm not about to knock his proven coaching skills.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:09 am 
NET Veteran

I'm not sure Scottie, just how much of that is Harb. Certainly he oversees all. But it remains to be seen if any of the schemes are actually his. Is the genius in coming up with these ideas or approving them. Both have their merits for sure. Do I give credit to Gus B for our defense?..no...I think that belongs all to Pete. Do I give credit for our O to Bevel and Cable...yes...IMHO I think they are more responsible for its success than Pete. Other than the fact Pete does take the responsibility and oversees its execution. Its something of a fine line taking the responsibility for the x's and o's and the credit for coming up with them. If Harbs drew it up and the coordinators make sure its executed properly then my hats off to him...if not.....then its more the creativeness of his coordinators than his on genius. This goes for all staffs of course. But an example of what I'm talking about would be the Bears. Was it Ditkas Defensive schemes that made that team so bad or was it Buddy Ryans?.... I'm not a true hater of Harbs really.....I recognize the fact, and it is a fact.....that the niners have turned around because of him. But if I try to balance out what he really has done himself to improve that team...and his obvious douchery....do I consider him a great coach?...not a chance...yet.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:29 am 
NET Veteran

And Hans.....did Harbs see the benefit of Kap in the lineup over Smith? Or...maybe...and I'm not saying this is true....but did he see what was happening in D.C. with RG3 and in Seattle with Wilson......and say..."hey, wait a second, we've got a guy here thats just like that!...lets give him a shot"....was it a case of Harbs insight, or a case of its a copy cat league..or a case of Smiths shoulder injury (I think thats the injury he had) and then they schemed to Kaps strengths? Either way.....putting Kap in wasn't a trailblazing scenario....and scheming to his strengths is only the smart thing to do....it had to be obvious to them that it was working in Seattle and DC. I'm just still in the camp that, as compared to Pete and what he had to deal with when he took over, and to what Harbs took over, it is Pete that should be labeled as a great coach...and not Harbs....yet.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 am 
NET Veteran

Not to harp too much on the subject...but if Harbs had been hired as the Hawks coach instead of Pete...do you think he'd be where Pete is at now? We'll never know right? But IMHO I would have to think not. And in those years...from then to now.....can you imagine the douchiness that Harbs would have shown trying to rebuild from a Mora/Ruskell team.....lol......oh boy.......lol.......

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:32 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

samwize77 wrote:
I'm not sure Scottie, just how much of that is Harb. Certainly he oversees all. But it remains to be seen if any of the schemes are actually his. Is the genius in coming up with these ideas or approving them. Both have their merits for sure. Do I give credit to Gus B for our defense?..no...I think that belongs all to Pete. Do I give credit for our O to Bevel and Cable...yes...IMHO I think they are more responsible for its success than Pete. Other than the fact Pete does take the responsibility and oversees its execution. Its something of a fine line taking the responsibility for the x's and o's and the credit for coming up with them. If Harbs drew it up and the coordinators make sure its executed properly then my hats off to him...if not.....then its more the creativeness of his coordinators than his on genius. This goes for all staffs of course. But an example of what I'm talking about would be the Bears. Was it Ditkas Defensive schemes that made that team so bad or was it Buddy Ryans?.... I'm not a true hater of Harbs really.....I recognize the fact, and it is a fact.....that the niners have turned around because of him. But if I try to balance out what he really has done himself to improve that team...and his obvious douchery....do I consider him a great coach?...not a chance...yet.

He was running those same heavy sets at Stanford. In fact, I would say when you add his college resume to his pro resume, there is no way you can say isn't a great coach. Unless you are a deluded Seattle Homer, anyway. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Veteran

Point conceded Scottie.....with the caveat that Harbs went 29-21 in his years there, and it wasn't until the emergence of Luck that his fortunes changed. Was he responsible for Mr Luck? and the turnaround at Stanford? Quite possibly. He has definitely showed signs of turning programs around no doubt. I guess it just boils down to I'm just not convinced yet. Theres no doubt hes a good coach.......just not a great coach.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:52 pm 
NET Veteran

samwize77 wrote:
Not to harp too much on the subject...but if Harbs had been hired as the Hawks coach instead of Pete...do you think he'd be where Pete is at now? We'll never know right? But IMHO I would have to think not. And in those years...from then to now.....can you imagine the douchiness that Harbs would have shown trying to rebuild from a Mora/Ruskell team.....lol......oh boy.......lol.......

You bring up some great points but for the most part Harbs gets credit for those. Deservingly? Maybe, maybe not.

To me this is a flawed question because there are way to many facets of what a coach really is. Prepping players and in game execution are at the forefront but there is alot more that goes into it than just having immediate success. Take Tomlinson for example. He won a super bowl his first year but look at the Steeler's now. They are nowhere near the power house that Tomlin took over. Is he a great coach? He has a trophy but he did take over a super bowl caliber team when he got there so the question is still out there.

I like your last post about where would the Seahawks be if Harbaugh came here instead of Pete. Do you think he would have taken that crew to the superbowl? How about would he have won 7 games, the division and beat the defending world champs? Would he have made our team significantly better each year? Or would he implode worse than Mora and lose the team? Those questions are still unanswered.

Pete is more to Seattle than Harbaugh is to the Niners also. There Harbaugh is the coach and that's it. Pete is in charge of all operations here. He is directly involved and deserves credit for building this team from the ground up and getting them game ready and executing in games, all of which he has done a ridiculously good job at.

If you were to project the long term future between Pete and John, it seems pretty easy to believe Pete has a much better shot at success because you have seen him with no talent and create a team where Harbaugh walked into a playoff caliber team in desperate need of coaching and gave the team what it needed. Sure he made some changes but for the most part that team was intact. In fact all but two starters were already there from the previous year while Pete and John made 284 transactions before their first NFL snap. What each has don has been a polar opposite of the other in that regard.

We have already seen how Pete handles the adversity of losing and lacking talent. We have also seen how he handles building a team. We have seen him reposition talent to suit their skills and coach them up. We have also seen his team is ready on game day. We have even seen him make second half adjustments that completely took over games. about the only thing left to see is can he replace lost talent when needed but even that you can extrapolate from the way he has built this team. If Pete has a downside we haven't seen it yet and based on how he started and where the team is at right now, I'm not sure he has one.

For the most part Harbaugh in comparison hasn't even really been tested yet. Do you think he could make Tarvaris Jackson a good QB? Me Neither. We still need to see how Jimmy reacts to adversity before we can crown him as a top level coach.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

So far Jim has succeeded at every place he's been a head coach. The only question I have is whether he can sustain that; he's never stayed more than a few years at any of those previous jobs because he deservedly moved up the career ladder. We won't know until/unless he stays in San Francisco for several more years. He might be brilliant at it, his team could crash and burn or they may simply follow a more typical up and down pattern.

Pete has mentioned more than once that it's harder to maintain success than reach it. Overall he did pretty well with that at USC, though the team had degraded in overall quality the last 2-3 years he was there. Some of that is due to the Reggie Bush circus hanging over the team (and being used by other schools in negative recruiting). Some was due to coaching attrition in the assistant ranks. And some was...who knows? John McKay won four national championships at USC and still had years when the team sucked. That's football.

Any way, I do think Harbaugh is a good coach, in spite of his off-putting personality. We'll have to wait and see how both he and Pete fare in the longer term.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 pm 
NET Veteran

samwize77 wrote:

Buddy Ryan obviously but both Harbaugh and Carroll have enjoyed immense success with multiple teams. At the very least, you have to give the head coach credit for hiring awesome staff. So I don't think it's so black and white. I've never considered Ditka a great coach because he sucked without Buddy Ryan. The 85 Bears were the one hit of Ditka's career.

Carroll and Harbaugh have both developed winning programs with multiple different coaching staff. They're both great coaches. Ditka was never at that level.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:40 am 
NET Veteran

Well gentlemen, I guess is comes down to what your definition of what "great" means. Hell, by my definition I shouldn't put Pete into that category yet...but forgive me my homerism if I do.

Theres probably hundreds of coaches out there right now turning programs around...on the high school, college and pro levels......do we call each of them a "great" coach at their level?

Pete has proved..or at least is on the verge of proving...that a successful college coach can transition into the pros and have success there also.....and Harbs is also on the same road. BUT Harbs obviously had a much easier task with the personnel he had to work with. Hence, he actually has gone further than Pete in a shorter amount of time. They both are a rarity in their successes so far.

Time will tell us more here. And if Harbs and the Niners continue their winning ways (I'm almost ready to throw up alittle writing that) then I'll give credit where credit is due, and elevate him from a "good" coach to a "great" one.

But, of course..Pete is a GREAT coach now.....lol...and Harbs is still a douche ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

samwize77 wrote:
Well gentlemen, I guess is comes down to what your definition of what "great" means. Hell, by my definition I shouldn't put Pete into that category yet...but forgive me my homerism if I do.

Theres probably hundreds of coaches out there right now turning programs around...on the high school, college and pro levels......do we call each of them a "great" coach at their level?

Pete has proved..or at least is on the verge of proving...that a successful college coach can transition into the pros and have success there also.....and Harbs is also on the same road. BUT Harbs obviously had a much easier task with the personnel he had to work with. Hence, he actually has gone further than Pete in a shorter amount of time. They both are a rarity in their successes so far.

Time will tell us more here. And if Harbs and the Niners continue their winning ways (I'm almost ready to throw up alittle writing that) then I'll give credit where credit is due, and elevate him from a "good" coach to a "great" one.

But, of course..Pete is a GREAT coach now.....lol...and Harbs is still a douche ;)

parsing words between what good and great mean is pointless. A coach can either outwit the opposition while inspiring his players to maximize their talent or he can't. He can have them prepared or he can't. Harbs does all 3 from what I can see.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:06 am 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:
samwize77 wrote:

parsing words between what good and great mean is pointless. A coach can either outwit the opposition while inspiring his players to maximize their talent or he can't. He can have them prepared or he can't. Harbs does all 3 from what I can see.

But where does he stand at developing talent? Great job with the QB's but Jenkins and last years entire draft class are a huge question mark.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]