Sando no longer NFC West writer for ESPN

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Sando no longer NFC West writer for ESPN
Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 pm

• Terry Blount used to cover the Oilers and he has lived in Seattle for seven years, plus he was at training camp EVERY day. Sando II for sure.

He even tweeted how much Moffitt will help the Bengals -heh
    Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

• So Sando got a promotion and they hired a bunch of guys to cover each team.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Is Sando's promotion in place of his current role, and we won't see him doing NFC West stuff anymore, or in addition to?
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I hope Blount starts writing soon, I am so sick of going to ESPN's NFC West site and seeing 4 rams articles in a row.

Damn... Sando is becoming an "insider"... I'll have to pay to read his stuff.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:Is Sando's promotion in place of his current role, and we won't see him doing NFC West stuff anymore, or in addition to?

I get the impression from what I see tweeted that he will be producing premium material and no longer doing NFC West stuff as of tomorrow.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Is Sando's promotion in place of his current role, and we won't see him doing NFC West stuff anymore, or in addition to?

Nascar is not a promotion
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• This concept seems to have good intentions. May make reading the ESPN NFL blog easier, since I would think the cross-posting to rival forums may be minimal. No whining in the comments about Sando only writing about his favorite teams. I am sure the good nature ribbing done on the current NFC West blog will carry over, but eventually die down. Guess we have to see how the format is laid out.

Sure wouldn't mind having an ESPN Seattle, like they do for the major cities. Doubt that happens anytime soon.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• drdiags wrote:
    Sure wouldn't mind having an ESPN Seattle, like they do for the major cities. Doubt that happens anytime soon.

That's resonated in my lil insecure Seattlite brain as well.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Throwdown wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Is Sando's promotion in place of his current role, and we won't see him doing NFC West stuff anymore, or in addition to?

Nascar is what the NEW Seahawks writer writes about, not what Sando is going to do. Sando is now an "insider".
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• rideaducati wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Is Sando's promotion in place of his current role, and we won't see him doing NFC West stuff anymore, or in addition to?

Nascar is what the NEW Seahawks writer writes about, not what Sando is going to do. Sando is now an "insider".

OOOOOH

I really need to read.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• pehawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:

Figured they would run with Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles for a few years then branch out. I did see an ESPN Cleveland website, so maybe they have a Seattle one and no one has told me yet. DOOH!
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Sucks if he's only writing "insider" content now. Wonder if this will affect his guest spots on the 710 ESPN shows?
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:This concept seems to have good intentions. May make reading the ESPN NFL blog easier, since I would think the cross-posting to rival forums may be minimal. No whining in the comments about Sando only writing about his favorite teams. I am sure the good nature ribbing done on the current NFC West blog will carry over, but eventually die down. Guess we have to see how the format is laid out.

If we ever land a NBA and a NHL team I'm sure you will. :th2thumbs:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:OOOOOH

I really need to read.

Why? You've been getting by without it for years. :D
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Never really liked Sando that much anyway. I can't speak for the Seattle guys but the local beat writers (Barrows and Maiocco) are much better than Sando in SF.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Marvin49 wrote:Never really liked Sando that much anyway. I can't speak for the Seattle guys but the local beat writers (Barrows and Maiocco) are much better than Sando in SF.

When he was a local beat writer he was the man when it came to covering the 'Hawks. He accumulated so much information. He had spreadsheets and everything you could download. And he seemed to get along real well with the organization. Hardworking and professional, but cool.

When he went to ESPN his focused changed but his methodology stayed the same and I can see that it's paying off for him which I thinks is great. He's got some odd quirks but who doesn't?
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Sando is super-duper bland, but he works his ass off and does an incredible job unearthing insightful statistics. Congrats to him, but sad day for us.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I wasn't a fan of Sando so I don't really care much and I don't go to ESPN for news on my hawks anyway.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• #sadderday
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.
    AvengerRam
    NET Starter

• AvengerRam wrote:I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.

Don't hold your breath.

Congrats to Sando! Good guy and a hard worker. Too bad I won't get to read his stuff anymore, but the whole ESPN Insider thing just isn't worth the $$$.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• pehawk wrote:
    drdiags wrote:

I think a ESPN PNW that covers the Seahawks, Mariners, Blazers, Canucks, and the three MLS teams would be perfect.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I'll be glad when they make the switch. I've been wondering what was up with all the Rams stuff. I hadn't realized it was by a different writer. I do like having a division blog. I don't often read anything about the other teams, but it gives a different spin on the news. If they're going to have a writer for each team specifically, then I might as well just check out the local writers.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• AvengerRam wrote:I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.

What's unfortunate is that Total QBR has potential. It sucks right now because it's randomly WAY off, but I'm an overall proponent of advanced metrics. Total QBR is not yet an "advanced" metric. Not until I stop seeing it give a 35 to someone who had a great day but a bit of bad luck, or a 75 to someone who had a bad day but some good luck, etc. I'd say 75-80% of the time, Total QBR is a good indicator; but there are way too many "WTF?" exceptions to it, which makes it worthless to go by.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    AvengerRam wrote:I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.

What's unfortunate is that Total QBR has potential. It sucks right now because it's randomly WAY off, but I'm an overall proponent of advanced metrics. Total QBR is not yet an "advanced" metric. Not until I stop seeing it give a 35 to someone who had a great day but a bit of bad luck, or a 75 to someone who had a bad day but some good luck, etc. I'd say 75-80% of the time, Total QBR is a good indicator; but there are way too many "WTF?" exceptions to it, which makes it worthless to go by.

Until they explain to us how it's calculated rather than saying "we take a few things like this" into account it will always be bogus. You can't score someone and not tell us the criteria behind it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with passer rating. Just double the value/weighting of passes made when the team is within 10 points of the opponent either side and you can get a better accurate gauge of how well they're playing (since anything else is usually considered "garbage")

Maybe not, since when I tried it out I got surprisingly similar results to their actual passer rating. Even Carson Palmer graded out better than his actual passer rating, and he's the king of garbage time
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• Seattle Seahawks: Terry Blount (ESPN NASCAR writer) *

LOLOLOL

The Rams new guy has already pumped out 3 articles, all very lengthy. We're probably going to have to hope for an article a week with this nascar jabroni in the drivers seat.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I am cry :(

Seriously though, Sando is my favorite writer, this sux.

A few years back when I was messaging back and forth with him, he asked for my address and sent me a signed book that he helped write on the Seahawks as a gift.

This really, really sucks. I want my Sando!

Do we have the new guys twitter handle yet?

EDIT: NM, found it, @TerryBlountESPN
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:Seattle Seahawks: Terry Blount (ESPN NASCAR writer) *
    We're probably going to have to hope for an article a week with this nascar jabroni in the drivers seat.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :th2thumbs:

I want to name a fantasy football team "NASCAR Jabronis" now.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• So many people don't bother with reading Insider. It's like Sando's being sent to sports writers graveyard.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• New guy has his first post up. I'm not impressed. He manages to screw up a winning percentage calculation and inserts it into his article in such a way that I'm not sure which of the two arguments he is talking about that it is supposed to support.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• DericLee wrote:I am cry :(

I'm with you.

There's 500 bloggers in the Bay Area covering the 49ers... There's no shortage of news solely about the team. What I liked about Sando is that his topics were [almost] always as it relates to the division; in which case finding divisional bloggers is few and far between.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• HawkGA wrote:New guy has his first post up. I'm not impressed. He manages to screw up a winning percentage calculation and inserts it into his article in such a way that I'm not sure which of the two arguments he is talking about that it is supposed to support.

link?
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• 60niners wrote:
    DericLee wrote:I am cry :(

I'm with you.

There's 500 bloggers in the Bay Area covering the 49ers... There's no shortage of news solely about the team. What I liked about Sando is that his topics were [almost] always as it relates to the division; in which case finding divisional bloggers is few and far between.

I agree, Sando may be Seattle biased, but he was a good writer and always used statistics to back up his claims...

So apparently each team will have an ESPN beat writer now? that's kind of lame, but I guess the NFL is in total growth mode.
    NinerBuff
    NET Rookie

• What's the deal with this (new) guy? One of his first post is full of mistakes: misstating the number of 10am games we have; plus saying that we play at Jacksonville instead of at home. Now it's game day, & he posts a very generic "things to watch" post at 7am and nothing else the rest of the day? What a hack.
    RobBaker7714409
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information