Am I crazy for wanting Richard Seymour?

pehawk

Reaction score
I've always loved the dude as a player. And, a rule of mine is to never judge anyone by their level of play in Oakland. Oakland's like a wormhole which bends space, time and a players performance.

I know Seymour's not really a "need", but he's a nasty dude who wants to win.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He was a pretty good player but:
He is old
He does not seem that motivated to play anymore ( he has stated he will retire if he does not get a good offer , which appears to be what is happening)
He wants a lot of $$ by all accounts

I suspect he will not be signed, but then picked up during the season by a team that is desperate after a injury to a player on some team with a thin roster

drdiags

Reaction score
For the longest it seemed like ATL wanted him pretty bad, but now that is off. If he still has what he had before the injury, he could be a good replacement for Branch. He would minimize Bennett/Williams/McDaniel/Hill's roles but at his best he is a force.

I wouldn't break the bank and it seems DE is more what the team needs to worry about with just Avril being available early. I think Seymour wanted to end up somewhere close to his home in Atlanta. I bet he eventually agrees with the Falcons.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Hiis self-opinion being so high is partly why I like the dude. He seems like a real competitor, unfortunatly playing in Oakland. I think he'd add a lil extra Red type fire to the unit.

Football players from the south sure do love it there.

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe I am remembering wrong, but IIRC PFF's numbers showed the Seymour had a pretty substantial decline last year. Scott watched a lot of Raiders' games last year and seemed to indicate that Seymour looked old out there (again, IIRC).

Also, Seymour isn't willing to play for the minimum. The Falcons just had talks break down with him over money. Seymour seems to be pretty staunch about not playing below a certain dollar amount. For that reason alone, I'd be shocked if Seymour ended up here.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Oakland played him like a rented mule until he got hurt last year, and I think he played hurt too. Oakland was totally bent over as a defense by a turrible secondary from day one, so I didn't factor his lack of pass rush much, but he did not look good vs the run. He body language was pretty defeated, though, so I don't know what effect palying for big dollas on a suck team had his want to.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
While I do respect Scott and PFF's analysis, and Seymour may indeed be shot, it was still for the Raiders. Moss and Woods were also on the "decline" coming out of Oakland. We need to measure Raiders on a scale; for coaches I add 2 wins to their season.

And, yeah, dude needs to reign in his contract demands.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3zmkoadp said:
While I do respect Scott and PFF's analysis, and Seymour may indeed be shot, it was still for the Raiders. Moss and Woods were also "decline" coming out of Oakland. And, yeah, dude needs to reign in his contract demands.
I think the bragging himself up is part of the money demands.

I wouldn't be bothered if they picked him up. If I was on that Raiders team I would have had a hard time with playing fundamental ball too. He knew for fact he was gone after the year, and the talent level around him was awful.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
For whatever reason I see Seymour similar to Charles Woodson, from a locker room presence standpoint. Those types are always welcome in SB windows, with reasonable salaries.

Scotte, kearly, can you come up with a scale, bell curve, something for measuring Oakland free agents?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1ot5zt3q said:
For whatever reason I see Seymour similar to Charles Woodson, from a locker room presence standpoint. Those types are always welcome in SB windows, with reasonable salaries.

Scotte, kearly, can you come up with a scale, bell curve, something for measuring Oakland free agents?

An Al Davis quotient?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I would give him a looksee if not for his ridiculous contract demands. As it is all he has to do is be reasonable and he will be with the Atlanta Falcons. Which is where he wants to be anyway.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Seymour is past his prime. Pats like the Steelers know when to move on. I totally believe in never trying to pick up a Steelers player past the age of 30

Latest posts