Deacon Jones has passed.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
A great player, a class guy. One of the most dominant players ever. Give us Deacon and Merlin Olsen and we'd never lose man. Farewell big man.

chris98251

Reaction score
Created the position as we see it today, too bad they never were able to tally his numbers, I'm sure they would be unreal.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He broke the rules as they exist now 30 times a game. A bygone era gets just a little more gone.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
chris98251":1rddatx3 said:
Created the position as we see it today, too bad they never were able to tally his numbers, I'm sure they would be unreal.
From the ESPN article...
The Rams' stats show Jones with 159½ sacks for them and 173½ for his career -- all unofficial, of course. Jones also was one of the most durable players, missing just five games in his 14 pro seasons.
If accurate, would place him at #3 overall... behind both Bruce Smith (200) and Reggie White (198).

To put Jones' number in perspective, the highest active players are John Abraham at 122 and Jared Allen at 117.

The Fearsome Foursome were that good. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to watch them play.

RIP, brother.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hc78yfda said:
He broke the rules as they exist now 30 times a game. A bygone era gets just a little more gone.
The removed the head slap because of him. Great player and great man RIP Deacon.

Largent80

Reaction score
One of my favs growing up. He and Merlin Olson were terrors back in those times.

R.I.P. Deacon and thanks for the memories.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I love watching film on him. He was a class act and a dominant player. RIP

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Who else was on that line? Was Rosy Grier? He was a beast as well. I know Merlin Olsen's career quite well because he was a great friend of the family. The family legend was that my dad once beat him up, which was hilarious, because my dad was like 4 years older than him, and it happened when Merlin was like 5 and my dad was 9.

We watched as much of the Merlin highlight reels as we could get our hands on. Our city library had a lot of NFL Films, and we'd check them out and watch them over and over, and Deacon Jones was the guy that I was instantly amazed by. He was so quick off the ball, and on top of the quarterback before he could even get to his first read.

When the Hawks first had Jacob Green I felt like he had some Deacon qualities. He was so quick off the end and would demolish guys. Sure he was no Deacon Jones, but he was a great end.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2zq3iq14 said:
Who else was on that line? Was Rosy Grier? He was a beast as well. I know Merlin Olsen's career quite well because he was a great friend of the family. The family legend was that my dad once beat him up, which was hilarious, because my dad was like 4 years older than him, and it happened when Merlin was like 5 and my dad was 9.

We watched as much of the Merlin highlight reels as we could get our hands on. Our city library had a lot of NFL Films, and we'd check them out and watch them over and over, and Deacon Jones was the guy that I was instantly amazed by. He was so quick off the ball, and on top of the quarterback before he could even get to his first read.

When the Hawks first had Jacob Green I felt like he had some Deacon qualities. He was so quick off the end and would demolish guys. Sure he was no Deacon Jones, but he was a great end.

The Fearsome Foursome was Deacon Jones, Roosevelt Grier, Merlin Olsen and Lamar Lundy.
And btw, Grier was a NY Giant before being traded to the Rams.

Rambitious

Reaction score
Jerhawk":160u2lvf said:

Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Rosie Grier, Deacon Jones.

The Fearsome Foursome.

Deacon, one of our all time best.

R.I.P. Brother......................thanks for the memories.

NYCoug

Reaction score
RIP Deacon.

He was well before my time but I always loved his interviews and how straight up he was about everything. Plus, his highlights look like a grown man playing against boys. He was just so much quicker, stronger, and just meaner than everybody else. He definitely had the spirit of a Seahawk, despite never having played for the team. I'm sure that made the few Rams fans who lurk around here sick to their stomachs.

You hear this often but a lot of the times it's BS. Like, will this person REALLY be missed? Really...

But Deacon Jones will be greatly missed. His insight to that era of football and how it was played and what it took to play it can not and will not be replicated.

Dietrich

Reaction score
[youtube]Lm2l0pxYw-4[/youtube]

I will always remember Deacon Jones for this.

The Radish

Reaction score
Rambitious":36syc463 said:
Jerhawk":36syc463 said:

Lamar Lundy, Merlin Olsen, Rosie Grier, Deacon Jones.

The Fearsome Foursome.

Deacon, one of our all time best.

R.I.P. Brother......................thanks for the memories.

Deacon was not one of the best, he WAS the best. No one else even close.