Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense

Jville

Reaction score
Panthers will be a challenging opening day opponent for the Seahawks in 2013.

Newton is also noted in the report as being an advocate for easier-to-say plays. And he's already proven how much he can thrive in an up-tempo offense. In his lone season with the Auburn Tigers in 2010, Newton, playing in then-offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn's offense, heavily predicated on speed to the line and an overall fast pace, basically set the college football world on fire for an entire season.
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/31/4383244/carolina-panthers-offense-mike-shula-cam-newton[/urltargetblank]

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So you are saying we get to face a QB who will still be adjusting to a new offense? Awesome. Unless he is actually switching to the Auburn offense that featured about 6 plays, I am not worried about facing an up tempo team.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
That just means Russell Wilson gets more time with the ball in his hands. And more opportunities for the LOB to catch passes from Newton.

sutz

Reaction score
When you go three and out every series, "up tempo" doesn't matter much.

;)

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Someone should go find that Gruden QB camp with Newton. Pay attention to his conversation with Gruden when Gruden asks him to call any play they ran at Auburn. He couldn't lol. Complex situations with multiple line calls and adjustments were obviously something he wasn't familiar with.

He's more comfortable looking to the sidelines and having them tell him what to do.

Newton has peaked, he's not a student of the game, he'll never make that jump to the next level. He has gotten as far as he will based off of natural talent.

If we lose to the Panthers I will be so pissed. It will tell me that we still don't show up for road games and we just aren't good enough.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":24k2wvvp said:
Someone should go find that Gruden QB camp with Newton. Pay attention to his conversation with Gruden when Gruden asks him to call any play they ran at Auburn. He couldn't lol. Complex situations with multiple line calls and adjustments were obviously something he wasn't familiar with.

He's more comfortable looking to the sidelines and having them tell him what to do.

Newton has peaked, he's not a student of the game, he'll never make that jump to the next level. He has gotten as far as he will based off of natural talent.

If we lose to the Panthers I will be so pissed. It will tell me that we still don't show up for road games and we just aren't good enough.
EXACTLY. This is the year that the Big 5 will show their true colors. I expect 30-10ish Seattle win because I expect the Wilson and offense from Chicago forward going forward. Atlanta tells me I am not wrong especially given we have Harvin in the mix.

aawolf

Reaction score
Just a word of warning: If the Panthers are favored to win, they will usually lose in spectacular fashion; if they are favored to lose, though, for some reason they play alot better and either win or make it a close game. Its weird. See both Falcons games last year: they had no business being in either of those games, yet they came two minutes away from winning one and won the other. This up tempo rumor is suprising, because they are built to be more of a clock-control team and don't have many options in the passing game. The offense is simply not good enough to maintain drives and if they speed up, they will be off the feild quicker.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
So, the Panthers are basically announcing that they want to give up offensive series in the beginning of the game in order to wear out the other team by the 4th quarter.

That's not going to help them much with our offense's ability to control the ball.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1qlnqeik said:
So you are saying we get to face a QB who will still be adjusting to a new offense? Awesome. Unless he is actually switching to the Auburn offense that featured about 6 plays, I am not worried about facing an up tempo team.

How long did it take Alex Smith to adjust to a stupidly simple offense? A quarter from the first game of the year, maybe? Just sayin'. If they do it right and surprise us, it could be a problem. I'm still confident of a win, but I wouldn't compare it to the typical learning of a new offense. I imagine most of the plays will be plays already in the existing/prior playbook, with the same names, etc.; but that a lot of intermediate/difficult ones are simply removed.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Its not like the article said it's a no-huddle or anything, just that they want to make it easier to communicate the plays so they arent standing around between plays as long. Every team preaches tempo and it sounds like they are condensing the play calls to speed things up a bit.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sounds like he should have stayed in College instead of going pro :D

Reminds me of this fast guy that could throw the ball really really hard. He played in Atlanta then killed dogs for awhile. Wonder what ever happened with that guy. Why it reminds me? Atlanta did the EXACT same thing. They simplified the playcalling to fit the brain of their qb

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vaec3y2 said:
Scottemojo":3vaec3y2 said:

How long did it take Alex Smith to adjust to a stupidly simple offense? A quarter from the first game of the year, maybe? Just sayin'. If they do it right and surprise us, it could be a problem. I'm still confident of a win, but I wouldn't compare it to the typical learning of a new offense. I imagine most of the plays will be plays already in the existing/prior playbook, with the same names, etc.; but that a lot of intermediate/difficult ones are simply removed.
It's a new offense, he has a new coordinator and everything.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1qk0jjps said:

Do coordinators change the names of plays just for the sake of changing them, though? (Serious question; if the existing/prior play book has a given play identical to one you have a different name for, does the coordinator force the team to learn the new name?)

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7jsqfj0c said:
Scottemojo":7jsqfj0c said:

Do coordinators change the names of plays just for the sake of changing them, though? (Serious question; if the existing/prior play book has a given play identical to one you have a different name for, does the coordinator force the team to learn the new name?)

I think for the most part yeah. Not side busting but Knapp brought what he called "offense." He runs his version of a west coast. Hass constantly complained about it when he let frustration lose.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":11cr2pqb said:
Scottemojo":11cr2pqb said:

They are reportedly running Rob Chudzinski's offense, but changing the verbiage to shorten huddle time. Shula was the QB coach last year, so I expect Cam to get his way more than in the past.

FWIW, Shula never averaged more than 20 PPG in his three years in Tampa as the OC, and that offense declined every year he led it. Dungy was his coach at the time, so the reported conservative game planning might have been more Dungy than Shula.

So to answer your question, yeah in this case it seems the coordinator has changed the names of plays without changing the plays. I remember when Bevell was hired, it was constantly reported that the offense would not change, just the playcaller. Then the season came, and all the players besides Tarvaris and Rice had to learn a new offense. Since then, I tend to just think of a new OC as a new offense no matter what.

Lets call it what it is. They are simplifying the offensive calls because Cam had trouble with making playcalls. If what I saw when he was in Gruden's camp is accurate, and if the reports that in his first year they Rob had to simplify his offense for Cam because of that same thing, I would say it is likely Cam needs a simpler set of play calls. Going up tempo is probably ancillary to simplifying the playcalls.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if they'll be using the same colors, shapes and See n Say that Papaki is using to teach Pocket Locket the 9'er offense. I can already picture the huddle.....

Cam Newton":2oqtm7mc said:
okay guys, huddle up. We're going to run the blue circle play. That's the one where cow says "moo", cow says "moo". Blue Circle on 2, blue circle on 2. If we get this right, coach is going to let us play with leggo at recess... er... halftime. Readeee, break!
Steve Smith":2oqtm7mc said:
Dafuq is this...?

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Cam Newton will be good until his natural athleticism starts to wane; when that happens, he'll fall off. I think it's obvious he doesn't put in the time to be an all time great. I think it's funny when beat writers say they'd chose him over Luck, RGIII, Kaep, and Wilson. All of those guys are excellent above the shoulders. Cam is probably the most gifted from the shoulders down. That works for every position on the field other than QB.