Drafts of Other NFC West Teams--What's your grade?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • I'm not one that adds Harvin to our draft, trades are trades, FA is FA, and the draft is the draft. But if Boldin signs an extension like Harvin did (with another team), I don't get the point.

    Thinking your team is going to want to extend Kaepinocchio before he RFAs more then Boldin next year. Just a hunch.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    User avatar
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:
    look@dafilm wrote:That may be true, but "contemplating retirement" doesn't mean he doesn't "count" towards the 49ers draft in the same manner that Harvin does for Seattle


    And how do you expect a 30+ year old with the most physical receiver in the league label to last? lol. 1 year. So how does this affect your team in the long run? If you're talking draft impact, you talk about how a pick you spent lasts you for a number of years. Even if he doesn't retire, when his contract is up, he'll likely not be resigned. Even by the most optimistic projections, he's a 1 year stopgap not a replacement for a rookie contract.

    So either way why would you guys complain about saying we traded our first for a 24 year old who will impact the Hawks for 6 years, by saying you traded your 6th round pick for a one off that won't last 25% of a rookie contract?


    I don't understand why this is too complicated.

    Boldin was aquired for a 6th round pick.

    Colt McCoy was for a 7 and a swap of picks 8 picks apart.

    They were aquisitions from Draft Picks.

    People here want Harvin included in the draft evaluation because he was aquired for draft picks.


    Why even argue? 2 of the picks the Niners had were used on Boldin and McCoy. 2 of the picks the Seahawks had were used on Harvin. Why is this too difficult?

    All I see are people saying those guys won't be around longer than a year. How do you know that? They could sign extensions just as Harvin did. Some of the rookies drafted may be around no longer than a year especially ones taken in the 6th or 7th round like the picks the Niners gave up for those players.

    I see no reason not to include them in the draft class if you are going to include Harvin. It makes no sense not to.


    I could care less if they include Boldin or McCoy as their biased opinion doesn't matter, which is all we would get from them because most are too proud to admit that they didn't have a better draft than we did. I am all for them seeing the result on the field instead after we take the division again next year.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • http://www.nfl.com/predicttheseason

    People are voting for the Seahawks to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl, and to win it. The people have spoken, nobody wants San Francisco anywhere. Seahawks are taking the division, will have a bye, and will win the Super Bowl this season. :D
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24232
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:http://www.nfl.com/predicttheseason

    People are voting for the Seahawks to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl, and to win it. The people have spoken, nobody wants San Francisco anywhere. Seahawks are taking the division, will have a bye, and will win the Super Bowl this season. :D


    Actually I believe that the "Predict the season" showed us with the higher seeding, and thus why the theoretical NFCCG was played in SF as depicted with us being listed on the right side.

    Trust us, we are happy that you guys are being hyped up the way you are, as it paints a bigger target on your foreheads and will help to make sure that no team will not prepare accordingly when going up against you.

    It's starting to all come together perfectly! :th2thumbs:
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24232
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • I bet NinerLifer wet his pants watching that game at CLINK last season.

    He gives off a sufficiently whiny vibe that watching his team get systematically destroyed was probably the final straw.

    Piss alllllll over the pants.

    Piss, Piss, Piss. Pants, Pants, Pants.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:I bet NinerLifer wet his pants watching that game at CLINK last season.

    He gives off a sufficiently whiny vibe that watching his team get systematically destroyed was probably the final straw.

    Piss alllllll over the pants.

    Piss, Piss, Piss. Pants, Pants, Pants.


    Yes...yes I did. :(
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D


    Dear lord how ridiculous. A super bowl team actually gets better in the off-season and they are predicted to have a higher seed than a divisional foe. weird.
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D



    Lol gotta love that 1 game you have to hang your hat on versus a team who proved all season they were better. Tell us next how glorious that win over green bay was while your at it.
    Goldrush
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 36
    Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 am


  • look@dafilm wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D


    Dear lord how ridiculous. A super bowl team actually gets better in the off-season and they are predicted to have a higher seed than a divisional foe. weird.



    How exactly again did you get better? Is it the rookie replacing that vastly over rated ALLPRO? Is gore going to be better with more experience now that he's 30 years old?

    It is debatable if you got better or worse. You need your draft class to play lights out for you to be on par. Good luck with that.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Goldrush wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D



    Lol gotta love that 1 game you have to hang your hat on versus a team who proved all season they were better. Tell us next how glorious that win over green bay was while your at it.


    Yes you proved you suck at 10am games and on the second week of travel. Your schedule was padded by the NFL to prevent you from having to play any competitive teams at 10am and apparently it was a great thing for you guys because you got your butts kicked by both the Rams and Vikings at 10am. You would have probably been murdered by NE and GB. Hell NE would have stomped you if not for the weather and the power outage is the only thing that saved you from one of the most embarrassing super bowl performances in history.

    Get off your high horse. You guys have more questions than answers right now. Good luck with that.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • RichNhansom wrote:
    Goldrush wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D



    Lol gotta love that 1 game you have to hang your hat on versus a team who proved all season they were better. Tell us next how glorious that win over green bay was while your at it.


    Yes you proved you suck at 10am games and on the second week of travel. Your schedule was padded by the NFL to prevent you from having to play any competitive teams at 10am and apparently it was a great thing for you guys because you got your butts kicked by both the Rams and Vikings at 10am. You would have probably been murdered by NE and GB. Hell NE would have stomped you if not for the weather and the power outage is the only thing that saved you from one of the most embarrassing super bowl performances in history.

    Get off your high horse. You guys have more questions than answers right now. Good luck with that.


    LMFAO!

    I keep seeing you guys claim that we only beat NE because of the weather. How many of you guys actually know how long it had been that a team beat the Patriots at home in the month if December? You guys actually think that last December was a freak weather occurrence in NE for that time of year? LMFAO

    The Patriots are the ones used to playing at home and dominating teams in NE in the month of December. Can anybody guess why? Doubt it according to statements like the one above. :34853_doh:
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • I detest the 49ers as much as anybody but their New England game was a legit win. Trying to say the weather in Foxborough was an advantage to the 49ers is as ridiculous as saying Seattle only beat them because they were tired from the week before. Both were legitimate wins against solid competition.

    That being said, the power outage is the biggest reason the Super Bowl wasn't a ridiculous blowout. So at least you're not arguing that.
    HolyEffinMoses
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm


  • I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

    Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • RichNhansom wrote:I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

    Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.


    That must be why the Patriots were still favored that week. :34853_doh:

    Man...you have talked yourself into a cone of silence.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Niners had a draft that suited their needs, and rolled some picks over to 2014. The Niners drafted a lot of known names that have time to get over injuries.
    Rams had a draft that suited their needs.
    Seattle had a draft that suited their needs. Our draft had a lot of who? But so did the 2012 and 2011 drafts.
    The Cardinals did OK. The middle of that line might improve, and that will help Carson a ton.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10601
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • NinerLifer wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

    Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.


    That must be why the Patriots were still favored that week. :34853_doh:

    Man...you have talked yourself into a cone of silence.


    You mean favored before the game and before the weather was a factor?

    Yeah that makes alot of sense. Maybe we should have weatherman picking the favorites.

    Wow just wow.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • RichNhansom wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

    Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.


    That must be why the Patriots were still favored that week. :34853_doh:

    Man...you have talked yourself into a cone of silence.


    You mean favored before the game and before the weather was a factor?

    Yeah that makes alot of sense. Maybe we should have weatherman picking the favorites.

    Wow just wow.


    Dude...just stop. You can not recover from this, seriously. Like EVER!
    Last edited by NinerLifer on Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • I can just see the crap spewing from here if we would have lost to NE last year...

    "You couldn't even beat the Patriots after Sherman talked his ass off the field! You mad bro?"
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • RichNhansom wrote:
    look@dafilm wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You were given the higher seed by default of having gone further last season.

    Man, week 2 of the NFL season cannot come quickly enough. :D


    Dear lord how ridiculous. A super bowl team actually gets better in the off-season and they are predicted to have a higher seed than a divisional foe. weird.



    How exactly again did you get better? Is it the rookie replacing that vastly over rated ALLPRO? Is gore going to be better with more experience now that he's 30 years old?

    It is debatable if you got better or worse. You need your draft class to play lights out for you to be on par. Good luck with that.


    Anquan > Moss
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson
    Dawson > Akers
    Carradine > RJF
    Dorsey > Soap

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • RichNhansom wrote:I disagree, bad weather favors smash mouth teams and the weather in NE that night was the epitome of bad. NE has become a finesse timing football team. If you can disrupt their timing you neutralize them. The weather was a big factor in throwing off their timing and the fumbles were not your normal fumbles. They were not due to impact so much as the ball plain slipping out of their hands.

    Would the outcome have been different if the weather was not as bad as it was? Maybe, maybe not but there is no question it was a factor and like I said, it was a factor that benefited a smash mouth style of football.


    Did you miss the Patiorts with Moss and their super high-powered offense going apeshit on teams and winning in beatdowns like 50-10?
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • Dude, don't give them any hints. It's much more interesting to see them try their little hearts out attempting to make themselves look like they know what they are talking about.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Anquan > Moss You hope
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
    Dawson > Akers You hope
    Carradine > RJF You hope
    Dorsey > Soap You hope

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

    LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

    So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

    Really, do you believe your own bull?

    This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.


    Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

    Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

    Put down the pipe.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • RichNhansom wrote:Anquan > Moss You hope
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
    Dawson > Akers You hope
    Carradine > RJF You hope
    Dorsey > Soap You hope

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

    LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

    So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

    Really, do you believe your own bull?

    This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.


    Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

    Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

    Put down the pipe.


    wow, so personal attacks combined with irrelevant haterade. If you can't see how Dorseys run defense is better than Sopoaga's an how Boldin is unquestionably an upgrade over Moss and Dawson an unquestionable upgrade over Akers, thats on you.

    lol, "you hope". So I guess you better "hope" that that Harvin and Avirl and all of Seattles picks ups are all upgrades too.
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • The whole Akers thing is very debatable. Yeah, he had a pretty bad streak, but he also tied the NFL all-time kick record at 63 yards early in the season, and booted some good long ones at the end, too. I think 49ers fans made him into a bit too much of a scapegoat, personally; but, meh.

    In any case, look@dafilm, yes; we're hoping guys like Avril and Bennett have improved our pass rush. The fact that we were able to have such a dominating defense with a very mediocre pass rush is incredible, and even more incredible when you look at the performance of our secondary. Normally, the performance of any defense's secondary is closely linked to its ability to pressure the QB, but not ours. If we can improve our pass rush by a good margin, people might talk about the '13 Seahawks down the road instead of the '85 Bears. I said "if", so take it easy.

    However, one thing that is not in dispute is Percy Harvin. He is a clear upgrade and would be for any team in the league; there's no "hope" in regard to him. He's a supremely dynamic player and still very young, and now he's got a real QB to throw him the pigskin.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24232
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT
    I don't know about the other players but if the 49ers are counting on Dorsey to be anything but a waste they're going to be sorely disappointed.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6359
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO



  • Like everyone has said, All NFC West teams got better and picked for need.

    Hawks A+A+
    Cards C+/B-
    Rams B+/A-
    Niners F/F-
    Grades are based on a bell curve

    Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.
    He would have been a good pick up around 5 years ago, but now he is more :1:
    Spokane
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:The whole Akers thing is very debatable. Yeah, he had a pretty bad streak, but he also tied the NFL all-time kick record at 63 yards early in the season, and booted some good long ones at the end, too. I think 49ers fans made him into a bit too much of a scapegoat, personally; but, meh.


    It's actually not debatable whatsoever. He had the 2nd lowest FG % in the league behind only Mason Crosby, and was 2/7 from 40+ yards in the final 2 months of the season when the team needed him. He missed 3 field goals in the Rams games that cost the team victories in both, and missed another sub 40-yard field goal against the Falcons that could've cost them the game. I don't know what good long kicks you saw him make at the end, but I think everyone else missed them.

    Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.
    User avatar
    Disp
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 171
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm


  • Spokane wrote:Like everyone has said, All NFC West teams got better and picked for need.

    Hawks A+A+
    Cards C+/B-
    Rams B+/A-
    Niners F/F-
    Grades are based on a bell curve

    Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.
    He would have been a good pick up around 5 years ago, but now he is more :1:


    So obviously don't know why they took a 6th for him though it was publicly explained.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Spokane wrote:Like everyone has said, All NFC West teams got better and picked for need.

    Hawks A+A+
    Cards C+/B-
    Rams B+/A-
    Niners F/F-
    Grades are based on a bell curve

    Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.
    He would have been a good pick up around 5 years ago, but now he is more :1:


    Hmmm.. Boldin's washed up? Ya not seeing that.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


  • Disp wrote:Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.


    He was tied for 28th in the league with - guess who - Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka for field goal rating. Akers had a 69.0% hit percentage, Hauschka had 88.9% of his field goal attempts made. You know how they wound up with the same field goal rating? Most likely, poor special teams unit performance. They don't only penalize the kicker for things like blocked field goals, tipped balls, poor handling of the snap by the placeholder, etc.

    Akers was #6 in the league for kickoff ranking by PFF, and he was injured. Akers returning to health, and your coaching staff working on special teams a bit for field goal attempts should result in Akers having a significantly better year in 2013, but most 49ers fans want him hanged because they see the dramatic misses. (Without a word about the offense not being able to do its job and get a TD or into better field goal range in the first place.)

    I'm not saying he didn't have a rough year. I am saying that most 49ers fans are putting more blame on him than is warranted. Why not blame your beloved Coach Harbaugh for not replacing him due to his injury? Yeah, that's about what I thought.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24232
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • hawker84 wrote:
    Spokane wrote:Like everyone has said, All NFC West teams got better and picked for need.

    Hawks A+A+
    Cards C+/B-
    Rams B+/A-
    Niners F/F-
    Grades are based on a bell curve

    Boldin is washed up. There is a reason why the ravens took a 6th for him, teams laughed at the 5th round offer.
    He would have been a good pick up around 5 years ago, but now he is more :1:


    Hmmm.. Boldin's washed up? Ya not seeing that.


    Me either. If the 'hawks had gotten Boldin for a 6 I don't think I'd be seeing too many people here calling him washed up.

    I like how he gave the Hawks an A+ and the Niners an F-.

    Makes it easier to just discount anything he says later.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Disp wrote:Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.


    He was tied for 28th in the league with - guess who - Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka for field goal rating. Akers had a 69.0% hit percentage, Hauschka had 88.9% of his field goal attempts made. You know how they wound up with the same field goal rating? Most likely, poor special teams unit performance. They don't only penalize the kicker for things like blocked field goals, tipped balls, poor handling of the snap by the placeholder, etc.

    Akers was #6 in the league for kickoff ranking by PFF, and he was injured. Akers returning to health, and your coaching staff working on special teams a bit for field goal attempts should result in Akers having a significantly better year in 2013, but most 49ers fans want him hanged because they see the dramatic misses. (Without a word about the offense not being able to do its job and get a TD or into better field goal range in the first place.)

    I'm not saying he didn't have a rough year. I am saying that most 49ers fans are putting more blame on him than is warranted. Why not blame your beloved Coach Harbaugh for not replacing him due to his injury? Yeah, that's about what I thought.


    Missing two game winning FG in overtime (different games) vs the Rams will do that.

    They did try to replace him with Billy Cundiff. He was worse. Kickers don't grow on trees.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Disp wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:The whole Akers thing is very debatable. Yeah, he had a pretty bad streak, but he also tied the NFL all-time kick record at 63 yards early in the season, and booted some good long ones at the end, too. I think 49ers fans made him into a bit too much of a scapegoat, personally; but, meh.


    It's actually not debatable whatsoever. He had the 2nd lowest FG % in the league behind only Mason Crosby, and was 2/7 from 40+ yards in the final 2 months of the season when the team needed him. He missed 3 field goals in the Rams games that cost the team victories in both, and missed another sub 40-yard field goal against the Falcons that could've cost them the game. I don't know what good long kicks you saw him make at the end, but I think everyone else missed them.

    Akers was awesome in 2011 and a complete liability in 2012. He had an injury, so maybe he'll bounce back this following year, but pretending he was anything other than terrible this last year just because he made a 63 yard kick is pretty dishonest.


    This.

    Akers hit a 63 yard field goal in a game that wasn't close.

    He MISSED 2 FG is separate games in overtime vs the Rams. Those 2 games alone are 2 wins and a 13-3 record.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RichNhansom wrote:Anquan > Moss You hope
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
    Dawson > Akers You hope
    Carradine > RJF You hope
    Dorsey > Soap You hope

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

    LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

    So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

    Really, do you believe your own bull?

    This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.


    Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

    Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

    Put down the pipe.


    Actually not. The problem Dorsey had in KC was that he was called upon to 2-gap over a center. Thats the way D-Linemen play in a classic 3-4.

    He won't be called upon to do that in SF. SF runs a 3-4, but their D-Linemen play 1-gap and penetrate...similar to what he did at LSU. Also, while he wasn't the player people thought he would be coming out of school, he was NOT a bad player. He was very good against the run.

    The Niners aren't expecting the player from LSU. They want the run stuffer who played in KC.

    Don't believe me on Dorsey?


    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ty-chiefs/
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin and Disp, have you gone back and analyzed close-up footage of those attempts to make sure the holder was holding it steadily, at the preferred angle, etc. like PFF guys do to figure out how much fault goes towards the kicker on missed kicks?

    I know you haven't, and neither have I; I'm just saying, kicking field goals depends on a lot more than just the kicker. Not trying to put Akers up on a pedestal, but I think you might be throwing him under the bus just a bit much.

    *shrug*
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*
     
    Posts: 24232
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Kirkland, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:Marvin and Disp, have you gone back and analyzed close-up footage of those attempts to make sure the holder was holding it steadily, at the preferred angle, etc. like PFF guys do to figure out how much fault goes towards the kicker on missed kicks?

    I know you haven't, and neither have I; I'm just saying, kicking field goals depends on a lot more than just the kicker. Not trying to put Akers up on a pedestal, but I think you might be throwing him under the bus just a bit much.

    *shrug*


    Not really.

    Jennings and Lee (longsnapper and holder) have been here forever. Both have been to the pro bowl. In fact Jennings is now the longest tenured 49er on the roster. Lee is a very good holder. This is the same pair that was there for Akers the year before.

    While it isn't impossible that they had several bad exchanges...its highly unlikely.

    Akers had surgery for a double sports hernia in the offseason. He had that 63 yarder in the first game, but he struggled all year and cost them a few games on missed kicks.

    The Niners kept with him all year...even when he struggled. They signed Cundiff (so had 2 kickers on the roster) and stuck with Akers hoping he would be the guy he was in 2011. It just didn't happen. He even missed one in the Super Bowl and it was called back on a penalty.

    Maybe he comes back from the injury and everything is fine, but I'd take my chances on Phil Dawson (AFC Pro Bowler) over seeing if Akers can get healthy...again.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • RolandDeschain wrote:He was tied for 28th in the league with - guess who - Seahawks kicker Steven Hauschka for field goal rating. Akers had a 69.0% hit percentage, Hauschka had 88.9% of his field goal attempts made. You know how they wound up with the same field goal rating? Most likely, poor special teams unit performance. They don't only penalize the kicker for things like blocked field goals, tipped balls, poor handling of the snap by the placeholder, etc.


    I guess I don't follow. A player who is rated 31/32 by ESPN and 28/32 by PFF is being scapegoated? You sure that doesn't mean they're legitimately playing terribly? I'm pretty sure even the Jaguars would be looking to upgrade someone rated 28'th in the league at their position. Not only that, but his misses typically came in close score games and late in the game. No one is debating Akers' kickoff ability; it's his field goal kicking.

    I don't have a sub to PFF any more, so can't look at the stats and ratings they have. There's no way I'm going to spend the time diagnose how the ball is held on every field goal. I trust the Niners 13 year veteran who's been to the pro bowl a couple times as a long snapper and 10 year pro bowl holder/punter are getting the job done, and if you're going to throw variables like that into it then you have to do it for the rest of the league.
    User avatar
    Disp
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 171
    Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm


  • KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT
    I don't know about the other players but if the 49ers are counting on Dorsey to be anything but a waste they're going to be sorely disappointed.


    doubtful, as a poster already pointed out Dorsey may not have been a shining star in KC but he is a solid player. Very cheap pickup by Baalke that I expect to pay its dividends. The signing I truly don't get is Dahl. Maybe he was insurance in case they didn't get their guy in the draft but still, not seeing that one working out very well. he signed super cheap though
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:Me either. If the 'hawks had gotten Boldin for a 6 I don't think I'd be seeing too many people here calling him washed up.

    I like how he gave the Hawks an A+ and the Niners an F-.

    Makes it easier to just discount anything he says later.


    Are you really crying about a draft grade from an online forum? Its pretty well known that 49er fans are soft, but that is sad Bra!
    I say what I want to say, when I want to say it. Deal with it and stop crying like a B! I really don't want another warning PM so I am going to let you off the hook today. Just as advise, before you look stupid again - do a full research job on the Bell curve grading system before making any (49er fan like/dumb) comments about it.
    Last edited by Spokane on Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am


  • look@dafilm wrote:
    KCHawkGirl wrote:
    Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT
    I don't know about the other players but if the 49ers are counting on Dorsey to be anything but a waste they're going to be sorely disappointed.


    doubtful, as a poster already pointed out Dorsey may not have been a shining star in KC but he is a solid player. Very cheap pickup by Baalke that I expect to pay its dividends. The signing I truly don't get is Dahl. Maybe he was insurance in case they didn't get their guy in the draft but still, not seeing that one working out very well. he signed super cheap though


    Doubtful? Solid Player? WTF? Hello! He was solid at the NCAA level and thats it. The guy has been blown up from day 1 at the NFL level! He will be cut before the first game, so yes he is a waste.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am


  • Now that I think of it, you and Lifer should get together and work out the details of a point spread and the bell curve...that could be a long conversation :34853_doh:
    Spokane
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am


  • Spokane wrote:Doubtful? Solid Player? WTF? Hello! He was solid at the NCAA level and thats it. The guy has been blown up from day 1 at the NFL level! He will be cut before the first game, so yes he is a waste.


    don't bother letting facts get in the way of your hissy fit. as already shown in this thread Dorsey is a fine run defender.

    http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/01/05/glenn-dorsey-tyson-jackson-broken-down/

    he was 2nd against the run, but leaves a lot to be desired as a pass rusher. sounds a lot like a nice and cheap sopoaga replacement to me.
    User avatar
    look@dafilm
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 90
    Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm


  • Broski, Next time you try to defend your new player with Hard Facts...try not to use an article over 2-3 years old!?!?!?

    lol it said that the DE got zero sacks and zero passes defended...Are you hoping your DTs can rush the passer? He is a waste.

    The fact you use the word "Hissy" really does nothing to slow the rumors about you 49er fans
    Spokane
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 700
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am


  • Who would you rather have Dorsey or Bennet?
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2912
    Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Anquan > Moss You hope
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
    Dawson > Akers You hope
    Carradine > RJF You hope
    Dorsey > Soap You hope

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

    LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

    So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

    Really, do you believe your own bull?

    This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.


    Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

    Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

    Put down the pipe.


    Actually not. The problem Dorsey had in KC was that he was called upon to 2-gap over a center. Thats the way D-Linemen play in a classic 3-4.

    He won't be called upon to do that in SF. SF runs a 3-4, but their D-Linemen play 1-gap and penetrate...similar to what he did at LSU. Also, while he wasn't the player people thought he would be coming out of school, he was NOT a bad player. He was very good against the run.

    The Niners aren't expecting the player from LSU. They want the run stuffer who played in KC.

    Don't believe me on Dorsey?


    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ty-chiefs/


    And now we know why Niner fans don't talk about other teams, they don't know anything. (for the record, I think Dorsey is an OK signing) Poe was the NT is KC, Dorsey played almost exclusively DE. I watched 8 of his games when he was poised for the FA market. His lack of stats is a product of the Crennell two gap 3-4 scheme, where he wants all three of his DL to try and absorb two blockers. Dorsey is not a nose tackle, but can probably play the spot if the only thing he is asked to do is occupy a center and guard. Personally, I don't think Unger needs help with a guy like Dorsey.

    Marvin, I always suspected you knew a lot more about the niners than the rest of the league, you saying Dorsey had problems because he was asked to 2 gap over the center is just more proof you fit facts to the Niners, not the other way around. Dorsey almost NEVER lined up at NT, and DID not engage the center as a matter of routine. Can he adequately replace Soapoaga? (who is better than Niner fans think) Yes. Is he going to be a penetrating disruptor? It seems unlikely. He was a good dollars/performance pickup, nothing more.

    I know somewhere, sure as god made little green apples, there is a niner fan who know football as much as he knows his team. I sure would like him to make his way here. Marvin isn't him.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10601
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    RichNhansom wrote:Anquan > Moss You hope
    Nnamdi + Reid > Goldson You hope
    Dawson > Akers You hope
    Carradine > RJF You hope
    Dorsey > Soap You hope

    I will say that we got better regardless of the draft class.

    LMAO, and I am the one that is dreaming? Wow, that is some serious homer BS right there. Apparently anyone can just walk into your system and learn your system and gain chemistry with the team in just a few minutes?

    So I guess Jenkins is just being held back as a secret weapon?

    Really, do you believe your own bull?

    This is why Niner fans are known for their ignorance. You guys are like drones just regurgitating what someone else says. Your a complete moron if you think these are all just automatic upgrades. Your idiot douche coach doesn't even know how to get his depth playing time.


    Reid and Caradine haven't even played a snap and Dorsey is once again being played out of position if he plays NT. Let them at least prove something (ANYTHING) at the NFL level before you crown them.

    Last year all we heard was what a great acquisition moss was. Are you going to be as happy to replace Boldin as Moss? You guys were so pumped to be returning your entire defense and now your glad to see em go?

    Put down the pipe.


    Actually not. The problem Dorsey had in KC was that he was called upon to 2-gap over a center. Thats the way D-Linemen play in a classic 3-4.

    He won't be called upon to do that in SF. SF runs a 3-4, but their D-Linemen play 1-gap and penetrate...similar to what he did at LSU. Also, while he wasn't the player people thought he would be coming out of school, he was NOT a bad player. He was very good against the run.

    The Niners aren't expecting the player from LSU. They want the run stuffer who played in KC.

    Don't believe me on Dorsey?


    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ty-chiefs/


    And now we know why Niner fans don't talk about other teams, they don't know anything. (for the record, I think Dorsey is an OK signing) Poe was the NT is KC, Dorsey played almost exclusively DE. I watched 8 of his games when he was poised for the FA market. His lack of stats is a product of the Crennell two gap 3-4 scheme, where he wants all three of his DL to try and absorb two blockers. Dorsey is not a nose tackle, but can probably play the spot if the only thing he is asked to do is occupy a center and guard. Personally, I don't think Unger needs help with a guy like Dorsey.

    Marvin, I always suspected you knew a lot more about the niners than the rest of the league, you saying Dorsey had problems because he was asked to 2 gap over the center is just more proof you fit facts to the Niners, not the other way around. Dorsey almost NEVER lined up at NT, and DID not engage the center as a matter of routine. Can he adequately replace Soapoaga? (who is better than Niner fans think) Yes. Is he going to be a penetrating disruptor? It seems unlikely. He was a good dollars/performance pickup, nothing more.

    I know somewhere, sure as god made little green apples, there is a niner fan who know football as much as he knows his team. I sure would like him to make his way here. Marvin isn't him.


    Oh please. Get off the soap box.

    I simply mis-spoke. The only point I was making was that he won't 2-gap in SF. I like how you just threw out the entire point of both my post and the article in order to score cheap points. I'm aware he played DE in KC. That doesn't change my point tho that he was called upon to 2-gap almost exlusively. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't do that at LSU and he won't be called upon to do that in SF. You go off on a rant about why he wasn't effective and then pretty much say what I was saying and then puff out your chest like you have proven something.

    My response was to say that he isn't miscast in SF. He fits the scheme that SF is running.

    No 49ers fan is under the impression that Dorsey is all of the sudden going to show that he was worth a top 5 pick. All we want him to do is clog up the line and be the run-stuffer he was in KC. That's it. We aren't expecting a star. The fact thats he's a better scheme fit in SF than he was in KC is a bonus. All we are looking for is a replacement for Sopoaga who while being a good player earlier in his career had a very bad year last year. Oh BTW, they also got younger and Dorsey was about half the price.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Spokane wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Me either. If the 'hawks had gotten Boldin for a 6 I don't think I'd be seeing too many people here calling him washed up.

    I like how he gave the Hawks an A+ and the Niners an F-.

    Makes it easier to just discount anything he says later.


    Are you really crying about a draft grade from an online forum? Its pretty well known that 49er fans are soft, but that is sad Bra!
    I say what I want to say, when I want to say it. Deal with it and stop crying like a B! I really don't want another warning PM so I am going to let you off the hook today. Just as advise, before you look stupid again - do a full research job on the Bell curve grading system before making any (49er fan like/dumb) comments about it.


    Who said I was cryin? I just said you made it really easy to ignore your opinion. Its getting easier by the post.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2572
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Spokane wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Me either. If the 'hawks had gotten Boldin for a 6 I don't think I'd be seeing too many people here calling him washed up.

    I like how he gave the Hawks an A+ and the Niners an F-.

    Makes it easier to just discount anything he says later.


    Are you really crying about a draft grade from an online forum? Its pretty well known that 49er fans are soft, but that is sad Bra!
    I say what I want to say, when I want to say it. Deal with it and stop crying like a B! I really don't want another warning PM so I am going to let you off the hook today. Just as advise, before you look stupid again - do a full research job on the Bell curve grading system before making any (49er fan like/dumb) comments about it.


    Who said I was cryin? I just said you made it really easy to ignore your opinion. Its getting easier by the post.


    Getting pretty easy to ignore yours as well.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    User avatar
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 1048
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:24 am
    Location: Charlottesville, VA


Next


It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online