bout time (Redskins new turf)

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
bout time (Redskins new turf)
Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am

Re: bout time
Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am
  • Finally.

But what's done is done. We're going to kick butt next year.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 am
  • One Redskins official told the radio station that the team is taking the steps to improve the playing surface on its own.

"This is our decision, there was no mandate. Nobody's called us," the official told ESPN 980

Which translates to...."The NFL, as well as the other owners, told us to get our crap together because they did not want high dollar investments ruined because of negligence."
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 am
  • This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:38 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    One Redskins official told the radio station that the team is taking the steps to improve the playing surface on its own.

"This is our decision, there was no mandate. Nobody's called us," the official told ESPN 980

Which translates to...."The NFL, as well as the other owners, told us to get our crap together because they did not want high dollar investments ruined because of negligence."

lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

:lol:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am
  • too little too late. That game should have been an epic healthy rookie battle between wilson and RG3 instead it was a cringeworthy 3 hours of watching two teams play on a field I wouldn't wish on the most low-budget inner city high school team in the projects.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:44 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.

This is very true. Green Bay's "frozen tundra" is a thing of the past. I have no idea what it cost but I know they dug the ground 2-3' built a base, added heating either liquid pipeing or cable and then put their field over it. I wouldn't think liquid filled pipeing because the possiblity of a line breaking and causing a large area to flood. But whatever they did it works.

Result:

A field that's as safe for the players to play on as San Francisco or Miami in December. Allows million dollar players to play full speed in safety. What ever it cost it was worth it for the PR they get for it alone.

:th2thumbs:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:10 am
  • What do they mean by "putting down a new playing surface on June 5" vs "re-sodding the field in November"? What's the difference?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am
  • The Outfield wrote:What do they mean by "putting down a new playing surface on June 5" vs "re-sodding the field in November"? What's the difference?

This^
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 am
  • The Radish wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    One Redskins official told the radio station that the team is taking the steps to improve the playing surface on its own.

lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

:lol:

They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:25 am
  • The Outfield wrote:What do they mean by "putting down a new playing surface on June 5" vs "re-sodding the field in November"? What's the difference?

They are replacing the entire field in June and then just the middle portion of the field in November.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:40 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.

In case you didn't know, Green Bay, WI is a city of ~100k with no populated surrounding area. FedEx Field gets used by tons of non-NFL entities year-round, Lambeau is a ghost town outside of NFL games, more or less. I'm not making excuses for that cheap POS Dan Snyder, but it's hardly comparable.

We'll see what FedEx looks like in week 17 this year...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: bout time (Redskins new turf)
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:53 am
  • If going the GB way is too expensive, someone tell me why Field Turf, or one of the MANY options just like it are out of the question?

Similar to FIFA demanding that all World Cup games are played on grass, I don't see why the NFL can demand that an NFL playing surface be held up to a certain standard. This means either well kept and groomed grass (preferable) or an artificial surface that is up to standard as well. It's ridiculous, the condition some of these fields are in by late Nov - Dec.

Why couldn't or wouldn't the NFL demand this kind of thing?

As someone said early, we're talking about a 10 BILLION dollar industry with million dollar investments running all over the place. Anything less than the optimum conditions would be unacceptable if it were up to me. That's my perspective as a (theoretical) investor as well as an actual viewer.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:This doesn't sound like a big step. All they're doing is re-sodding the field once in November, but I remember there being talk that a re-sod in the winter months probably wouldn't take anyway. If the solution was that simple, why weren't they doing it for the last 16 years? I really don't understand why every team with a grass field isn't doing what Green Bay is doing at Lambeau. This is a $10 billion industry, and you have million dollar assets playing on dirt in December.

In case you didn't know, Green Bay, WI is a city of ~100k with no populated surrounding area. FedEx Field gets used by tons of non-NFL entities year-round, Lambeau is a ghost town outside of NFL games, more or less. I'm not making excuses for that cheap POS Dan Snyder, but it's hardly comparable.

We'll see what FedEx looks like in week 17 this year...

I don't see how this excuses Washington from using the same state of the art techniques Green Bay uses to maintain and heat their grass in the winter. If anything, this gives them more incentive to do it. If it costs more because of the added events, then the additional revenue from said events should justify the extra cost.

And if Synder really wants to be that cheap, field turf is always an option.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm
  • It doesn't, Snyder's a cheap piece of crap. I'm just saying, Green Bay can half-ass their field maintenance due to lack of use, comparatively.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm
  • lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

Curry said:They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.

This will be one of my favorite comments for a long time.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:53 pm
  • The Radish wrote:lol, I agree completely. Hey Curry, do you think they said it in that polite language?? Why not just have Jerry Jones call him and have a little chat?

Curry said:They should have had me do it. I am good at expressing myself in a even-keeled manner.

This will be one of my favorite comments for a long time.

:P
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information