How do you rank teams?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
How do you rank teams?
Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:48 pm
  • Whether its a power ranking, predicting win/loss records, determining who is good and who isn't, or what have you, how would you describe how you rank teams? What single way of determining who is better do you put the most weight into?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Re: How do you rank teams?
Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm
  • Eye test.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:19 pm
  • I'm going to go with "If they wear red and gold they are automatically overrated". ;)

Just messing around fellas. :)

Personally win/loss ratio to me doesn't mean as much as some like to make it seem. Strength of schedule has a factor in that ratio most of the time and therefore a "winning" team can be the benefit of their suckage from last season. If they follow it up the year after a deep playoff run then maybe.

I put little to no credit in power rankings as they are just the opinion of an analyst who uses personal opinions to rank their teams, even though they do tend to be a good forecast of who will be in the playoffs midway through the season.

I use consistency as a way of measuring a teams talent when I "rank" them. If they can consistently find ways to put points on the board and limit other teams from scoring a lot of points each game, as well as keeping mistakes to a minimum, that is a formula for success. It allows for the occasional "bad game" knowing that they are more than capable of bouncing back the next week.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm
  • I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am
  • Ethnicity...Jseahawks taught me that.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:54 am
  • nategreat wrote:I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.

It doesn't even sound like you're using any calculus. How do you expect to get real answers? If you're not using calculus you're just getting rough approximations. The "Swag constant" is outdated, you need to be using the second derivative of the "Swag curve" over the last 3 years (weighted for current year obviously).
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am
  • It's all about a quarterback and o-line.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 am
  • JesterHawk wrote:
    nategreat wrote:I have a system I use. I incorporate 6 different variations of every single possible statistic, and convert it to a decimal number that gives an overall value in terms of on field performance for all positions. Then I substitute this number into an equation that I formulated last year, an equation that also includes weight room/practice performance and locker room cohesiveness (each numbers of their own). Then I multiply this by the "Swag" constant, and invert the product until I am left with a numerical value greater than 0, but always less than 1. Last but not least, I subtract this number from the total number of white wide receivers on the team, and am left with the final ranking number. This is the BFT value.

It doesn't even sound like you're using any calculus. How do you expect to get real answers? If you're not using calculus you're just getting rough approximations. The "Swag constant" is outdated, you need to be using the second derivative of the "Swag curve" over the last 3 years (weighted for current year obviously).

I would expect by now you'd have figured out to take the natural logarithm of the principle coefficient as well. Honestly, people, this is the 21st century. We're not cavemen.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am
  • eyeballs! some stats...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:40 am
  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:Whether its a power ranking, predicting win/loss records, determining who is good and who isn't, or what have you, how would you describe how you rank teams? What single way of determining who is better do you put the most weight into?

bingo...no fancy formulas, equations, or zen-like trances are needed...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Eye test.

So you watch multiple games from every team every year you wish to rank teams?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm
  • I usually look for a team that will adjust to game circumstances, if a team is doing something to take advantage of a player or a scheme and a coach is bullheaded to the point of forcing something whether it's working or not.

Teams that can make adjustments and not get pigeon holed into one thing tend to be more flexible and have the ability to adapt to different looks given them much easier. They can also present new looks at given times to change how the game is dictated as far as flow.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 pm
  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Eye test.

So you watch multiple games from every team every year you wish to rank teams?

Well, I don't wish to rank teams. But if that were my job, yes, thats how I would do it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 pm
  • But you wouldn't be able to predict future success from viewing past performances when there are significant personnel and coaching changes. What do you use then?
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 am
  • Tarot cards and a Ouija board.
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 am
  • BirdsCommaAngry wrote:But you wouldn't be able to predict future success from viewing past performances when there are significant personnel and coaching changes. What do you use then?

You asked, he told you. Can't it be left at that?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:45 am
  • I have a two tiered system.

1. Seahawks

2. All those other crap teams.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm
  • 50% win/loss record, 30% eye test, 20% factoring in how good I think their opponents are/were.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:55 pm
  • I look at how they play on the road. How dynamic is the offense? How many play makers does the team have? How mature are they? Is there anything about the coaching staff and their history I can decipher? How healthy are they? Is their defense at least decent enough to generate turnovers and make a few stops?

Usually at the beginning of the season I go on past performances from the prior season that will bias my ranking.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm
  • JesterHawk wrote:You asked, he told you. Can't it be left at that?

If he elects not to answer, it can. Otherwise we can continue to play Q&A and both learn a little in the process.

RolandDeschain wrote:50% win/loss record, 30% eye test, 20% factoring in how good I think their opponents are/were.

The Colts ended their season with the same record as us but I don't think you'll honestly think they can hold a candle to us. I sure don't and I'm less of a homer than most.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:54 am
  • 1. Seattle
    2. Everyone else
    3. Gallstones
    4. 49ers
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:08 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:1. Seattle
    2. Everyone else
    3. Gallstones
    4. 49ers

You forgot to put the Steelers, Redskins, and Cowboys underneath gall stones.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information