Jersey Percentages

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Jersey Percentages
Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:20 am
  • Anyone know what are the typical percentages of Jersey sales that actually goes to the seller/shop, Nike, The Team, The Player?

i.e.
    Elite jersey $250

$60 - Shop
    $160 - Nike
    $25 - Team
    $5 - Player?

Just curious how much of the Jersey sales actually benefit the team and players vs lining Nike's pockets.
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

Re: Jersey Percentages
Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:25 am
  • I imagine that the NFLPA gets a cut and distributes to the players. Not sure if it's done based on how many jerseys are sold or if it's spread out across the playerbase.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am
  • Im pretty sure the NFL take the biggest cut because of licensing. Which then breaks down a small amount to team. I dont think Nike gets more the 40% if even that.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 am
  • And That's why I just orderd and received 5 jerseys from china for $140. They have their flaws specifically the White Harvin Jersey where the feathers on the numbers are dark blue and teal. Why teal IDK but it almost ruins the fact I have an awesome Elite HArvin Jersye. But that's what you get when you pay 10% the price the NFL and Nike want you to pay.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 am
  • From Askmen.com

In a good year, a typical NFL team makes about $5 million off merchandise sales, which worldwide totaled $3.2 billion in 2006. However, because of a wacky economic scheme, the teams don’t benefit all that much, sharing only about 12% of the wholesale price of an item. So, based on that number, when a superstar’s jersey is sold, each team gets 11 cents a piece.

The profits of a jersey are shared amongst ALL the teams. Every team gets a share of every Russell Wilson or RGIII jersey sold.

IIRC that this rule really pissed off Al Davis and Jerry Jones because the Raiders and Cowboys sell WAY more gear than other franchises, but only get an equal 1/32 of the profits.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:And That's why I just orderd and received 5 jerseys from china for $140. They have their flaws specifically the White Harvin Jersey where the feathers on the numbers are dark blue and teal. Why teal IDK but it almost ruins the fact I have an awesome Elite HArvin Jersye. But that's what you get when you pay 10% the price the NFL and Nike want you to pay.

True but you're rolling around in a teal hawks jersey. That's foul.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am
  • Basis4day wrote:From Askmen.com

In a good year, a typical NFL team makes about $5 million off merchandise sales, which worldwide totaled $3.2 billion in 2006. However, because of a wacky economic scheme, the teams don’t benefit all that much, sharing only about 12% of the wholesale price of an item. So, based on that number, when a superstar’s jersey is sold, each team gets 11 cents a piece.

The profits of a jersey are shared amongst ALL the teams. Every team gets a share of every Russell Wilson or RGIII jersey sold.

IIRC that this rule really pissed off Al Davis and Jerry Jones because the Raiders and Cowboys sell WAY more gear than other franchises, but only get an equal 1/32 of the profits.

Oh God. Meanwhile I was happily buying authentics HOPING a reasonable amount of the money went to our team and players and it's like nothing.
    gspin2k1
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:44 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:And That's why I just orderd and received 5 jerseys from china for $140. They have their flaws specifically the White Harvin Jersey where the feathers on the numbers are dark blue and teal. Why teal IDK but it almost ruins the fact I have an awesome Elite HArvin Jersye. But that's what you get when you pay 10% the price the NFL and Nike want you to pay.

THe jersey is white, and everything looks really good, the little feather looking things embedded in the numbers are what is the wrong color. From afar it doesn't look so teal/sky blue but up close it's obvious.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 pm
  • I remember reading an article on this a few years ago on one of the major sports news websites, it said most players don't get a cut of actual sales, only the superstars do. Not sure how accurate it was, but I guess it makes sense. Same thing in Hollywood; gotta be a big name to get percentages and not straight checks.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:And That's why I just orderd and received 5 jerseys from china for $140. They have their flaws specifically the White Harvin Jersey where the feathers on the numbers are dark blue and teal. Why teal IDK but it almost ruins the fact I have an awesome Elite HArvin Jersye. But that's what you get when you pay 10% the price the NFL and Nike want you to pay.

THe jersey is white, and everything looks really good, the little feather looking things embedded in the numbers are what is the wrong color. From afar it doesn't look so teal/sky blue but up close it's obvious.

link?
    MissoulaHawk
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information