49ers OC claims he didn't use real offense during 42-13 loss

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Shadowhawk wrote:[quote="QuickLightning']Here's your stats to back up the point.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -formation

    They ran 9% of their plays from the Pistol in Seattle and only 2 snaps against Arizona... that figure jumped up to 45.3 in Green Bay and 54.9% in Atlanta. I think it is pretty obvious looking at those numbers they were trying to set Green Bay up to game plan for a more generic offense.[/quote]

    Nope, sorry. Because the Yahoo article is making the claim that Roman began to scale back the playbook to set up potential playoff teams AFTER the New England game. But you have made the case in multiple posts on this thread that they started limiting their use of the pistol IN the New England game:

    [quote="QuickLightning']Up to 30.9% of the plays, according to the article. Peaking in week 14 against Miami then dropping back down for NE, Seattle and Arizona respectively as they approached the playoffs.[/quote]

    [quote="QuickLightning']I was reading earlier (after the divisional round of the playoffs) that they ran something like 10% of their plays from the pistol in the Seattle, New England and Arizona games[/quote]

    So if they stopped using the pistol as much in New England but didn't start "scaling back the playbook" until Seattle, it follows that not using the pistol as much isn't proof that that were "scaling back the playbook." And as I said in my first post on this thread, there are many reasons why San Francisco might not want to use the pistol in a particular game--defensive personnel, familiarity with mobile quarterbacks, etc. That doesn't mean they were scaling back the playbook, only that they were adjusting their gameplans for each specific opponent. And as many people on this thread have said multiple times, it would be beyond foolish for an offensive coordinator to start going to a vanilla offense when there was still a chance that they might not earn the first round bye or even win the division.

    Look, you're going to believe this theory because it takes the sting out of an ugly loss. We're not going to believe it because we are of the opinion that Seattle's 42-13 victory meant a hell of a lot more than you want to admit. But answer me this: we've had dozens of 49er fans on this board offering every excuse imaginable for your team's loss. If it's so obvious that they dumbed down the playbook to rope-a-dope potential playoff teams, why is it that NOBODY thought to make that case before when they tried every other excuse you can think of?[/quote]


    Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? I think they started in New England...and they won there.

    Some of you seem to think scaling back the offense means "let Seattle win". Thats not what ANYONE is saying. They are just saying that they intentionally didn't use portions of the playbook that they wanted to save for the playoffs. The % of time they spent in the pistol bears that out.

    Why is this so difficult to believe?

    There is no guarantee that if the entire offense had been in play that the score would have been any different. None. You guys all seem to read it as an excuse even though Roman wasn't even talking about Seattle when he made the comment.

    49er fans only buy this because it gives an excuse?

    1) No it doesn't. There is no excuse.

    2) Seattle fans don't WANT it to be true because it spoils their 42-13 mantra.

    I guess, you know.....Harbaugh is such a jerk. When he isn't tossing dwarves he's skinning kittens. It would logically follow that his OC is a downright liar.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:None of this was because he was "shaken". Seattle fans like to say that it was, largely because they see their own QB as unshakable and would like to use it as a point of emphasis when comparing the two QBs.


    I find this accusation particularly amusing given how you started your very next paragraph:

    Marvin49 wrote:Kaep doesn't get shaken. If you knew much about him, you'd understand that.


    Physician, heal thyself. ;)
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:I guess, you know.....Harbaugh is such a jerk. When he isn't tossing dwarves he's skinning kittens. It would logically follow that his OC is a downright liar.


    I'm proud of you. Glad you're finally seeing the light.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1392
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:None of this was because he was "shaken". Seattle fans like to say that it was, largely because they see their own QB as unshakable and would like to use it as a point of emphasis when comparing the two QBs.


    I find this accusation particularly amusing given how you started your very next paragraph:

    Marvin49 wrote:Kaep doesn't get shaken. If you knew much about him, you'd understand that.


    Physician, heal thyself. ;)


    uh...nothing wrong with what I said. You just don't like it because you want to believe that Wilson can't be shaken and Kaep can.

    I personally think both guys are incredible in that regard and show an ability to stay calm that some HOF QBs never did (Cough....Elway...cough). Wilson was cool under pressure all year. He almost came all the way back vs Atlanta. It was the D that failed them. Kaep DID come all the way back in Atlanta and almost did it in the SB.

    When you consider their playoff performances and the amount of time they've actually been under center in the NFL, it's amazing.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin, I am sure you are well versed in all things Niner, though I have probably watched all their games twice myself. However, you appear to know damn near nothing about the rest of the NFL, like most Niner fans we see here.

    I personally think Roman is pretty smart. So smart that he watches how other teams play against pistol looks and tailors his game plan quite well. The Patriots have a pretty effective scheme against the pistol, having seen it twice the year before with Tebow, and absolutely killing it the second time they saw it. Seattle held Cam Newton to three offensive points earlier in 2012 and in the few looks in the first half Roman did use it, we killed the look. Makes sense, Seattle practices against it every day. As it turns out, no pistol QB scored more than 14 on us last year in three games. Besides, the Niners were too far behind to pose a serious run threat from any look, so why use the Pistol? The Cards have pretty good edge speed too, and in week 17 it makes perfect sense to not show a lot of what you have planned in two more weeks against a team unlikely to put up more than 20 (the Cards). But if you think Kaep's production against the Pack has anything to do with not showing them plays, you are daft. The Pack couldn't put a finger on him, only 4 of his yards were after contact. Sometimes coordinators just shit the bed by not being ready or in Capers case, lining up in 4 and 5 man man coverage looks, which just made QB runs easy. In Kaepernicks first game vs the Bears, same thing, a defensive coordinator very unprepared for Kaepernick.

    But Roman isn't so smart that he didn't get his car towed when hanging with his buddy Silver.

    See Marvin, how it's done? There were true facts about 4 teams besides the Niners and Hawks in my post. Go drop the 30 bucks or so on a rewind package, and try to watch games not involving your Niners. You just might become an NFL fan instead of a blind homer.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10777
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? I think they started in New England...and they won there.


    From the Yahoo article that started this thread (emphasis mine):

    Except, of course, when he intentionally doesn't. In mid-December, after the Niners pulled out a 41-34 victory over the New England Patriots to improve to 10-3-1, Roman consciously decided to dial back the offense in order to keep potential playoff opponents off balance.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--offensive-guru-and-coaching-candidate-greg-roman-a-victim-of-his--niners--success-022509392.html

    Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports did.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    In my post I said that the Seahawks were good. Never argued otherwise.

    The "point" I was making that you call nonexistant was simply that the 43-13 win wasn't everything you guys seem to think it is. Do you really think that if they played again the score would be the same? Do you really think that the factors I listed played no role whatsoever in the outcome of the game? If you do then I feel sorry for you. You are in for a rude awakening.

    The Niners and Seahawks are gonna battle this year in a big way. Its gonna be a tough division. To read the posts on this site tho you'd think it was a forgone conclusion that the Seahawks are the better team. All you have to do is look at the score of that last game. That proves everything, right?

    The problem is that it doesn't. It proves nothing. You still lost the division. You are still 1-3 vs Harbaugh. You still only split the division series. You were still 3-5 on the road. You still lost to the team the Niners eliminated in the playoffs.

    The problem with annoining yourself the king in the offseason is that very often it doesn't happen in the REGULAR season.


    Of course it wouldn't be a 30 point blow out when we meet again; 30 point blowouts (let alone 3 in a row) are rare in the NFL. But I'm quite sure Seattle will win comfortably, by 10-14 points. Past record vs. Harbaugh will have zero influence on future meetings. Sure, we split the series last year, but had Carroll and Bevell not been handcuffing the playcalling (same argument you're using) in order to bring Wilson along slowly, it would've been a Seattle sweep. Lastly, congrats on getting one more break than Seattle got against ATL. One break, one play... that the was difference between a W and L against ATL for both Seattle and SF.
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    User avatar
    SE174
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1248
    Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:11 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? I think they started in New England...and they won there.


    From the Yahoo article that started this thread (emphasis mine):

    Except, of course, when he intentionally doesn't. In mid-December, after the Niners pulled out a 41-34 victory over the New England Patriots to improve to 10-3-1, Roman consciously decided to dial back the offense in order to keep potential playoff opponents off balance.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--offensive-guru-and-coaching-candidate-greg-roman-a-victim-of-his--niners--success-022509392.html

    Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports did.


    Hell, the coach himself said it.
    "My post-New England mindset was to hold back and try to save things for the playoffs," Roman says.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8692
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? I think they started in New England...and they won there.


    From the Yahoo article that started this thread (emphasis mine):

    Except, of course, when he intentionally doesn't. In mid-December, after the Niners pulled out a 41-34 victory over the New England Patriots to improve to 10-3-1, Roman consciously decided to dial back the offense in order to keep potential playoff opponents off balance.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--offensive-guru-and-coaching-candidate-greg-roman-a-victim-of-his--niners--success-022509392.html

    Who said they started scaling back the playbook in Seattle? Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports did.


    I stand corrected.

    See that...I can admit when I'm wrong.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:uh...nothing wrong with what I said. You just don't like it because you want to believe that Wilson can't be shaken and Kaep can.


    Hate to break it to you, Marv, but only one person on this thread has made the claim that his team's quarterback can't be shaken. Here's a hint: it wasn't me.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:Marvin, I am sure you are well versed in all things Niner, though I have probably watched all their games twice myself. However, you appear to know damn near nothing about the rest of the NFL, like most Niner fans we see here.

    I personally think Roman is pretty smart. So smart that he watches how other teams play against pistol looks and tailors his game plan quite well. The Patriots have a pretty effective scheme against the pistol, having seen it twice the year before with Tebow, and absolutely killing it the second time they saw it. Seattle held Cam Newton to three offensive points earlier in 2012 and in the few looks in the first half Roman did use it, we killed the look. Makes sense, Seattle practices against it every day. As it turns out, no pistol QB scored more than 14 on us last year in three games. Besides, the Niners were too far behind to pose a serious run threat from any look, so why use the Pistol? The Cards have pretty good edge speed too, and in week 17 it makes perfect sense to not show a lot of what you have planned in two more weeks against a team unlikely to put up more than 20 (the Cards). But if you think Kaep's production against the Pack has anything to do with not showing them plays, you are daft. The Pack couldn't put a finger on him, only 4 of his yards were after contact. Sometimes coordinators just shit the bed by not being ready or in Capers case, lining up in 4 and 5 man man coverage looks, which just made QB runs easy. In Kaepernicks first game vs the Bears, same thing, a defensive coordinator very unprepared for Kaepernick.

    But Roman isn't so smart that he didn't get his car towed when hanging with his buddy Silver.

    See Marvin, how it's done? There were true facts about 4 teams besides the Niners and Hawks in my post. Go drop the 30 bucks or so on a rewind package, and try to watch games not involving your Niners. You just might become an NFL fan instead of a blind homer.


    Wow. Dude you know NOTHING about my knowledge of the game. Nothing.

    You think that I am somehow unaware of other teams running the Pistol? You think I don't know that it was Chris Ault at Nevada who created the thing? You think I don't know that when it was initially installed there was no read-option element to it and that was a dded a year into Kaeps time there? You think I don't know that Washington ran it the most this season? You think that I don't know that while Seattle began runing it later in the year that Wilson had NEVER run it in college?

    You tyhink that because I am talking Niners that I know nothing about the NFL at large?

    Dude, you don't have a clue who you're dealing with. I've been recoirding the draft since 1990. I remember the days Seattle drafted Dan McGuire and Rick Mirer. I've been a football fan since 1984. I remember Chris Warren and even Steve Largent. I remember Warren Moon when he was first in the CFL and then in Houston...you know long before he was in the media in Seattle.

    Just test me on this.

    The OC of a team comes out and says they scaled back their offense and all of you call him a liar even if the numbers seem to bear that out. I am a blind homer though because I agree with him and dare to tread on the 42-13 mantra and happen to think that Kaep isn't a timid little boy.

    You guys are nuts sometimes.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin is a football genius. It is known.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18511
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:uh...nothing wrong with what I said. You just don't like it because you want to believe that Wilson can't be shaken and Kaep can.


    Hate to break it to you, Marv, but only one person on this thread has made the claim that his team's quarterback can't be shaken. Here's a hint: it wasn't me.


    Actually, they have. That was what I was responding to.

    When anyone here or even Seattle fans on Niner boards compare Wilson and Kaep they always like to talk about Kaep being shaken in Seattle and that Wilson has never been shaken. You can't say Wilson is taller or faster or has a bigger arm....so you go to intangibles.

    Wilson has them. No question. Its just wishful thinking tho that Kaep doesn't.

    Wilson is a great young QB. No question. Given their respective ages, I'd want Kaep more than anyone else right now followed by Wilson...altho Rodgers isn't that old so he might trump them both. Brady and Manning are better, but also far older.

    I have nothing but good things to say about Wilson.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • JSeahawks wrote:Marvin is a football genius. It is known.


    Glad we're on the same page. :)

    In all seriousness, I just think the "you don't know football" is the lamest of all lame attacks in a football forum.

    I wouldn't say that to anyone here. Its a total cop out.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Teqneek wrote:The statement doesnt even make sense... They were still in a fight for the division.. and the season only had 3 games left. What were teams going to pick up against the Seahawks they hadnt the other 13 games? Besides like someone else said. What does our offense scoring 42 points have to do with their inept attempt?

    Their real offense with Alex Smith scores 13 at home.. their non real offense with Kaep can barely get a TD against our backups? Doesnt sound to promising for his game plan lol


    Wasn't at least 7 of those 42 scored by the special teams?
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • Marvin, until any of us see a 49er fan post anything non-49er related, we're correct.

    You think I'm saying this to be a dick? I'm saying it because I like discussing the NFL, and discussions should include a variety of viewpoints and angles. All any 49er fan does here is seek out posts defending their teams honor. Its predictable and old.
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 9925
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:Oh. LOL. Is that "all that matters"?

    That is kinda MY entire point. One game means nothing. The game got out of hand early. Cudos to the Seahawks for the win.

    It doesn't mean that the Seahawks are hands down the better team. It means that they were the better team ON THAT DAY.

    I mentioned the GB games, Atlanta...all of that not to say "we beat them, we're better. My entire point was that its Any Given Sunday.

    If Kaep doesn't throw that wild pitch in St. Louis, the Niners would have won by 1.5 games. If David Akers can hit just 1 freakin field goal, it would have been another game.

    I'm sure as Seattle fans you can see many similar circumstances in your games.

    All I have ever been saying is that the 42-13 result you guys have been harping on means far less than you want it to.


    I said right in my post this game doesn't mean a divisional shift, only that after this coming season it could be seen as one. At the moment we really don't know what it means for the coming season. However the game does mean something no matter how much you try and dismiss it. Close games can go either way, with their being plenty of what ifs, but blowouts not so much. I am sorry good teams don't often get taken to the woodshed like that when they are evenly matched or better then their opponent. Sure it could have been a game that got out of hand quickly and the 49ers weren't able to recover from it (like they did against the Falcons and Ravens) or it could mean they were just plain outmatched. At the very minimum it has destroyed any mental edge the 49ers had over the Seahawks up to that point. My guess is that the game means something in between the things getting out of hand and just being outmatched. I personally expect a hard fought series this year, as I said earlier I don't expect a sweep. I fully expect both teams will win their home game.
    User avatar
    razor150
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am


  • Giedi wrote:
    Teqneek wrote:The statement doesnt even make sense... They were still in a fight for the division.. and the season only had 3 games left. What were teams going to pick up against the Seahawks they hadnt the other 13 games? Besides like someone else said. What does our offense scoring 42 points have to do with their inept attempt?

    Their real offense with Alex Smith scores 13 at home.. their non real offense with Kaep can barely get a TD against our backups? Doesnt sound to promising for his game plan lol


    Wasn't at least 7 of those 42 scored by the special teams?


    No but, what's that got to do with the price of tea in England anyway?
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9181
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • razor150 wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:Oh. LOL. Is that "all that matters"?

    That is kinda MY entire point. One game means nothing. The game got out of hand early. Cudos to the Seahawks for the win.

    It doesn't mean that the Seahawks are hands down the better team. It means that they were the better team ON THAT DAY.

    I mentioned the GB games, Atlanta...all of that not to say "we beat them, we're better. My entire point was that its Any Given Sunday.

    If Kaep doesn't throw that wild pitch in St. Louis, the Niners would have won by 1.5 games. If David Akers can hit just 1 freakin field goal, it would have been another game.

    I'm sure as Seattle fans you can see many similar circumstances in your games.

    All I have ever been saying is that the 42-13 result you guys have been harping on means far less than you want it to.


    I said right in my post this game doesn't mean a divisional shift, only that after this coming season it could be seen as one. At the moment we really don't know what it means for the coming season. However the game does mean something no matter how much you try and dismiss it. Close games can go either way, with their being plenty of what ifs, but blowouts not so much. I am sorry good teams don't often get taken to the woodshed like that when they are evenly matched or better then their opponent. Sure it could have been a game that got out of hand quickly and the 49ers weren't able to recover from it (like they did against the Falcons and Ravens) or it could mean they were just plain outmatched. At the very minimum it has destroyed any mental edge the 49ers had over the Seahawks up to that point. My guess is that the game means something in between the things getting out of hand and just being outmatched. I personally expect a hard fought series this year, as I said earlier I don't expect a sweep. I fully expect both teams will win their home game.


    I could argue the point about the margin of victory (Niners lost 21-0 against the Bucs in 2010 then the following year beat the Bucs 48-3...any given sunday), but for the most part I agree with you. I think it'll be another divisional split and both teams will be fighting for the division crown.
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:Green Bay gameplanned like they thought Alex Smith was still starting. Just because their coaching staff utterly failed to do their job, it doesn't constitute proof that this was all some master plan of San Francisco's to hide their playoff schemes over the last few weeks of the season.

    To buy this argument you have to believe that SF--a team that, as Marvin so thoroughly pointed out, was suffering injuries to key players and exhausted after two straight road games--was willing to risk losing out on a badly-needed first round bye and even the chance to host a playoff game just to keep their cards close to the vest. Not buying it.


    You not buying it doesn't make it less true.

    I realize you guys don't pay as much attention to the 49ers, interviews with players and coaches and the like (I wouldn't expect you to), but its pretty common knowledge that the 49ers spent alot of time in the off week before the Packer game on installing a number of permiations of the Pistol and read-option. The offense they ran in Seattle was vanilla. That doesn't mean that they didn't try to win. It doesn't mean that they weren't throwing deep.

    It also doesn't mean that the score would have been any different had they NOT been running a vanilla O. It just means that they kept some things in reserve for later games.

    BTW...this isn't the first time they have done this. He often roles out exotic plays and then goes vanilla another week. He'll throw to a DT one week do nothing close to that the next.

    This strategy worked against GB. They had no idea what was coming. It clearly DIDN'T work in Seattle. Had it cost them the division it would have been a huge mistake. Thankfully, it didn't and they surprised the hell out of GB. I just remember the stunned look on Clay Mattews face after the game saying that they hadn't seen any of that stuff on tape.


    You haven't proven that it is true. If you are correct that Roman came up with some new tricks for the Packers game, good for him. But the Yahoo article that launched this thread wasn't talking about Roman's game plan for the Packers game, it was making the claim A) that he dialed back the playbook in the last two games of the season and B) did it to keep from showing his hand to potential playoff teams. Not the same thing; for all we know, Roman sat down after the regular season and said, "the usual stuff isn't working. I need to try something new." All you have proved is that he tried some new things in the playoffs. You haven't proven that he ran a "vanilla O" to end the regular season. And the reason why I am skeptical that he did is because that would be a very foolish thing to do with a division title and a first-round bye up for grabs.

    You're right that I don't pay as much attention to the 49ers as you do, but I have been a Seahawks season ticket holder for 14 years, and I can honestly say I have never seen a quarterback look so rattled and shaken as Kaepernick looked last December. I don't say it to slam him--I expect he will put together a much better game in Seattle this season--but he looked completely lost out there. What you call a vanilla gameplan, I call the result of a quarterback who, for that game at least, was completely overmatched.

    I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Marvin, I am sure you are well versed in all things Niner, though I have probably watched all their games twice myself. However, you appear to know damn near nothing about the rest of the NFL, like most Niner fans we see here.

    I personally think Roman is pretty smart. So smart that he watches how other teams play against pistol looks and tailors his game plan quite well. The Patriots have a pretty effective scheme against the pistol, having seen it twice the year before with Tebow, and absolutely killing it the second time they saw it. Seattle held Cam Newton to three offensive points earlier in 2012 and in the few looks in the first half Roman did use it, we killed the look. Makes sense, Seattle practices against it every day. As it turns out, no pistol QB scored more than 14 on us last year in three games. Besides, the Niners were too far behind to pose a serious run threat from any look, so why use the Pistol? The Cards have pretty good edge speed too, and in week 17 it makes perfect sense to not show a lot of what you have planned in two more weeks against a team unlikely to put up more than 20 (the Cards). But if you think Kaep's production against the Pack has anything to do with not showing them plays, you are daft. The Pack couldn't put a finger on him, only 4 of his yards were after contact. Sometimes coordinators just shit the bed by not being ready or in Capers case, lining up in 4 and 5 man man coverage looks, which just made QB runs easy. In Kaepernicks first game vs the Bears, same thing, a defensive coordinator very unprepared for Kaepernick.

    But Roman isn't so smart that he didn't get his car towed when hanging with his buddy Silver.

    See Marvin, how it's done? There were true facts about 4 teams besides the Niners and Hawks in my post. Go drop the 30 bucks or so on a rewind package, and try to watch games not involving your Niners. You just might become an NFL fan instead of a blind homer.


    Wow. Dude you know NOTHING about my knowledge of the game. Nothing.

    You think that I am somehow unaware of other teams running the Pistol? You think I don't know that it was Chris Ault at Nevada who created the thing? You think I don't know that when it was initially installed there was no read-option element to it and that was a dded a year into Kaeps time there? You think I don't know that Washington ran it the most this season? You think that I don't know that while Seattle began runing it later in the year that Wilson had NEVER run it in college?

    You tyhink that because I am talking Niners that I know nothing about the NFL at large?

    Dude, you don't have a clue who you're dealing with. I've been recoirding the draft since 1990. I remember the days Seattle drafted Dan McGuire and Rick Mirer. I've been a football fan since 1984. I remember Chris Warren and even Steve Largent. I remember Warren Moon when he was first in the CFL and then in Houston...you know long before he was in the media in Seattle.

    Just test me on this.

    The OC of a team comes out and says they scaled back their offense and all of you call him a liar even if the numbers seem to bear that out. I am a blind homer though because I agree with him and dare to tread on the 42-13 mantra and happen to think that Kaep isn't a timid little boy.

    You guys are nuts sometimes.


    Oh, you are a fan of your team, no doubt. But knowlege? I knew you lacked in that the second you put out your 4 bullet points of excuses why the Niners lost that game. You list did not include outplayed and outcoached, but did include tired and hurt. Weak. And bullshit. We lost to the Cardinals week 1. I was there. Got both outcoached and outplayed, just barely. Lost to the Rams. We executed better but got outcoached by Fisher. Lost to the Lions, their QB took advantage of our biggest problem, linebacker coverage and the nickel. Lost to the Dolphins, they kicked our ass in the trenches. Lost to your Niners, once again, your O-line pushed our guys around. Alex tried to lose it for you, but our offense could not catch. Lost to the Falcons, bad first half coaching and Matt Ryan did his thing in the last 30. He's good, I know because I watched a dozen Falcon games too. That is all distilled versions, but you get my drift. Sometimes you lose for reasons besides the dumb ass mantra you used of "our defense didn't get off the bus." It is a bullshit way to say you didn't lose, you beat yourself.
    But yeah, tape the draft. That will prove you know the ins and outs of football.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10777
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Giedi wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:[quote="Shadowhawk"]
    Green Bay gameplanned like they thought Alex Smith was still starting. Just because their coaching staff utterly failed to do their job, it doesn't constitute proof that this was all some master plan of San Francisco's to hide their playoff schemes over the last few weeks of the season.

    To buy this argument you have to believe that SF--a team that, as Marvin so thoroughly pointed out, was suffering injuries to key players and exhausted after two straight road games--was willing to risk losing out on a badly-needed first round bye and even the chance to host a playoff game just to keep their cards close to the vest. Not buying it.


    You not buying it doesn't make it less true.

    I realize you guys don't pay as much attention to the 49ers, interviews with players and coaches and the like (I wouldn't expect you to), but its pretty common knowledge that the 49ers spent alot of time in the off week before the Packer game on installing a number of permiations of the Pistol and read-option. The offense they ran in Seattle was vanilla. That doesn't mean that they didn't try to win. It doesn't mean that they weren't throwing deep.

    It also doesn't mean that the score would have been any different had they NOT been running a vanilla O. It just means that they kept some things in reserve for later games.

    BTW...this isn't the first time they have done this. He often roles out exotic plays and then goes vanilla another week. He'll throw to a DT one week do nothing close to that the next.

    This strategy worked against GB. They had no idea what was coming. It clearly DIDN'T work in Seattle. Had it cost them the division it would have been a huge mistake. Thankfully, it didn't and they surprised the hell out of GB. I just remember the stunned look on Clay Mattews face after the game saying that they hadn't seen any of that stuff on tape.


    You haven't proven that it is true. If you are correct that Roman came up with some new tricks for the Packers game, good for him. But the Yahoo article that launched this thread wasn't talking about Roman's game plan for the Packers game, it was making the claim A) that he dialed back the playbook in the last two games of the season and B) did it to keep from showing his hand to potential playoff teams. Not the same thing; for all we know, Roman sat down after the regular season and said, "the usual stuff isn't working. I need to try something new." All you have proved is that he tried some new things in the playoffs. You haven't proven that he ran a "vanilla O" to end the regular season. And the reason why I am skeptical that he did is because that would be a very foolish thing to do with a division title and a first-round bye up for grabs.

    You're right that I don't pay as much attention to the 49ers as you do, but I have been a Seahawks season ticket holder for 14 years, and I can honestly say I have never seen a quarterback look so rattled and shaken as Kaepernick looked last December. I don't say it to slam him--I expect he will put together a much better game in Seattle this season--but he looked completely lost out there. What you call a vanilla gameplan, I call the result of a quarterback who, for that game at least, was completely overmatched.

    I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.[/quote]


    I was there. I saw the deer in headlights, hoofs over ears look.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9181
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Shadowhawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:uh...nothing wrong with what I said. You just don't like it because you want to believe that Wilson can't be shaken and Kaep can.


    Hate to break it to you, Marv, but only one person on this thread has made the claim that his team's quarterback can't be shaken. Here's a hint: it wasn't me.


    Actually, they have. That was what I was responding to.

    When anyone here or even Seattle fans on Niner boards compare Wilson and Kaep they always like to talk about Kaep being shaken in Seattle and that Wilson has never been shaken. You can't say Wilson is taller or faster or has a bigger arm....so you go to intangibles.

    Wilson has them. No question. Its just wishful thinking tho that Kaep doesn't.

    Wilson is a great young QB. No question. Given their respective ages, I'd want Kaep more than anyone else right now followed by Wilson...altho Rodgers isn't that old so he might trump them both. Brady and Manning are better, but also far older.

    I have nothing but good things to say about Wilson.


    No, it wasn't what you were responding to. You went off because I had the audacity to suggest that Kaepernick was rattled and shaken in Seattle. Nobody ON THIS THREAD said that Wilson can't be shaken. I never said Wilson can't be shaken, despite your trying to put words in my mouth. But you said point blank that Kaepernick can't be shaken. THAT is wishful thinking.

    Getting back to the topic of the thread, Scottemojo is correct: there are many reasons why San Francisco might used the Pistol as much during the last three weeks of the season, and as such you can't point to the fact that they did as proof that they did it to "scale back their playbook" for the playoffs. They could have done it for any number of reasons. So if you are looking for anyone here to admit that they are wrong, sorry. You haven't proven us wrong.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.

    I think it's also good for the entire NFL as a whole. The more great QB's on teams, the more aerial shows there will be, and I'm sure the aerial shootouts will bring out the fireworks and ratings. It's a win win for the NFL. Specially if the teams meet in the playoffs. That will be something if both organizations pull that off.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Marvin, I am sure you are well versed in all things Niner, though I have probably watched all their games twice myself. However, you appear to know damn near nothing about the rest of the NFL, like most Niner fans we see here.

    I personally think Roman is pretty smart. So smart that he watches how other teams play against pistol looks and tailors his game plan quite well. The Patriots have a pretty effective scheme against the pistol, having seen it twice the year before with Tebow, and absolutely killing it the second time they saw it. Seattle held Cam Newton to three offensive points earlier in 2012 and in the few looks in the first half Roman did use it, we killed the look. Makes sense, Seattle practices against it every day. As it turns out, no pistol QB scored more than 14 on us last year in three games. Besides, the Niners were too far behind to pose a serious run threat from any look, so why use the Pistol? The Cards have pretty good edge speed too, and in week 17 it makes perfect sense to not show a lot of what you have planned in two more weeks against a team unlikely to put up more than 20 (the Cards). But if you think Kaep's production against the Pack has anything to do with not showing them plays, you are daft. The Pack couldn't put a finger on him, only 4 of his yards were after contact. Sometimes coordinators just shit the bed by not being ready or in Capers case, lining up in 4 and 5 man man coverage looks, which just made QB runs easy. In Kaepernicks first game vs the Bears, same thing, a defensive coordinator very unprepared for Kaepernick.

    But Roman isn't so smart that he didn't get his car towed when hanging with his buddy Silver.

    See Marvin, how it's done? There were true facts about 4 teams besides the Niners and Hawks in my post. Go drop the 30 bucks or so on a rewind package, and try to watch games not involving your Niners. You just might become an NFL fan instead of a blind homer.


    Wow. Dude you know NOTHING about my knowledge of the game. Nothing.

    You think that I am somehow unaware of other teams running the Pistol? You think I don't know that it was Chris Ault at Nevada who created the thing? You think I don't know that when it was initially installed there was no read-option element to it and that was a dded a year into Kaeps time there? You think I don't know that Washington ran it the most this season? You think that I don't know that while Seattle began runing it later in the year that Wilson had NEVER run it in college?

    You tyhink that because I am talking Niners that I know nothing about the NFL at large?

    Dude, you don't have a clue who you're dealing with. I've been recoirding the draft since 1990. I remember the days Seattle drafted Dan McGuire and Rick Mirer. I've been a football fan since 1984. I remember Chris Warren and even Steve Largent. I remember Warren Moon when he was first in the CFL and then in Houston...you know long before he was in the media in Seattle.

    Just test me on this.

    The OC of a team comes out and says they scaled back their offense and all of you call him a liar even if the numbers seem to bear that out. I am a blind homer though because I agree with him and dare to tread on the 42-13 mantra and happen to think that Kaep isn't a timid little boy.

    You guys are nuts sometimes.


    Oh, you are a fan of your team, no doubt. But knowlege? I knew you lacked in that the second you put out your 4 bullet points of excuses why the Niners lost that game. You list did not include outplayed and outcoached, but did include tired and hurt. Weak. And bullshit. We lost to the Cardinals week 1. I was there. Got both outcoached and outplayed, just barely. Lost to the Rams. We executed better but got outcoached by Fisher. Lost to the Lions, their QB took advantage of our biggest problem, linebacker coverage and the nickel. Lost to the Dolphins, they kicked our ass in the trenches. Lost to your Niners, once again, your O-line pushed our guys around. Alex tried to lose it for you, but our offense could not catch. Lost to the Falcons, bad first half coaching and Matt Ryan did his thing in the last 30. He's good, I know because I watched a dozen Falcon games too. That is all distilled versions, but you get my drift. Sometimes you lose for reasons besides the dumb ass mantra you used of "our defense didn't get off the bus." It is a bullshit way to say you didn't lose, you beat yourself.
    But yeah, tape the draft. That will prove you know the ins and outs of football.


    Oh....sorry I didn't add it, but I do think they were outcoached that night...particularly if Roman scaled back the O. Saying that the D didn't get off the bus isn't an excuse. Its TRUE. They SUCKED that night like I'd seldom seen before. They continued to suck all the way through the playoffs. In fact, the suckage started in the second half the week BEFORE vs New England.

    Man...you have GOT to get off this knowledge rant. Its just LAME. It's a TOTAL copout. It's the insult you use when you don't have a better argument.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • And you still have added nothing.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10777
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Giedi wrote:I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.


    Personally, from my POV in the stands and re-watching the game on TV later, my opinion is that Kaepernick was shell shocked, too. Not just because of the delay of game penalties that Marvin mentioned, though I believe that's part of it. To give just one example, early in the second quarter (right before the blocked field goal) Kaepernick threw a dangerous pass into the back of the end zone that probably should have been intercepted. No big deal; rookie mistake. But in the fourth quarter, he throws the EXACT SAME PASS and gets picked off by Richard Sherman. That's more than a rookie mistake: that's a quarterback who has been completely thrown for a loop.

    Now, as I said before I expect that Kaepernick will turn in a better performance in his next trip to CenturyLink Field. But the young QB I saw that night was shaken to the bone. There's no shame in that: if he's the kind of quarterback 49er fans think he is, a night like that will make him better in the long run. But I still stand by my opinion that San Francisco's woeful offensive performance that night was the result of a quarterback who was rattled by a tough defense and a deafening crowd, and not the result of an attempt to scale down the playbook. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Shadowhawk wrote:No, it wasn't what you were responding to. You went off because I had the audacity to suggest that Kaepernick was rattled and shaken in Seattle. Nobody ON THIS THREAD said that Wilson can't be shaken. I never said Wilson can't be shaken, despite your trying to put words in my mouth. But you said point blank that Kaepernick can't be shaken. THAT is wishful thinking.

    Getting back to the topic of the thread, Scottemojo is correct: there are many reasons why San Francisco might used the Pistol as much during the last three weeks of the season, and as such you can't point to the fact that they did as proof that they did it to "scale back their playbook" for the playoffs. They could have done it for any number of reasons. So if you are looking for anyone here to admit that they are wrong, sorry. You haven't proven us wrong.


    Just looked back over it and you are correct on that first part...it wasn't in THAT post. Someone did talk about how they were amazed because Wilson had never been shaken. This thread is now 8 pages long though so I'm not going to go every post. Feel free to prove me wrong. I have to apologize because I'm actually trying to pull off multiple conversations at once on multiple sites. I am not too arrogant to admit that I sometimes get them mixed up. :D

    Here's a better question tho...are you suggesting that Wilson CAN be shaken?
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Giedi wrote:I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.


    Personally, from my POV in the stands and re-watching the game on TV later, my opinion is that Kaepernick was shell shocked, too. Not just because of the delay of game penalties that Marvin mentioned, though I believe that's part of it. To give just one example, early in the second quarter (right before the blocked field goal) Kaepernick threw a dangerous pass into the back of the end zone that probably should have been intercepted. No big deal; rookie mistake. But in the fourth quarter, he throws the EXACT SAME PASS and gets picked off by Richard Sherman. That's more than a rookie mistake: that's a quarterback who has been completely thrown for a loop.

    Now, as I said before I expect that Kaepernick will turn in a better performance in his next trip to CenturyLink Field. But the young QB I saw that night was shaken to the bone. There's no shame in that: if he's the kind of quarterback 49er fans think he is, a night like that will make him better in the long run. But I still stand by my opinion that San Francisco's woeful offensive performance that night was the result of a quarterback who was rattled by a tough defense and a deafening crowd, and not the result of an attempt to scale down the playbook. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.


    I remember the play...and (big surprise) I don't think he was shell-shocked.

    I think he was just trying to make something happen and Sherman made a good play on the ball. If there is one criticism I have of Kaep right now is that he hasn't yet mastered the red-zone. Most of his TDs came from outside 20 yards. He had the same issue in the Super Bowl.

    Additionally, while I DO think the O was scaled down, I don't attribute the loss to that. The crowd certainly played a part in the loss. There is a reason why Seattle was 8-0 at home and 3-5 anywhere else. That building is nuts.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2895
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    razor150 wrote:I said right in my post this game doesn't mean a divisional shift, only that after this coming season it could be seen as one. At the moment we really don't know what it means for the coming season. However the game does mean something no matter how much you try and dismiss it. Close games can go either way, with their being plenty of what ifs, but blowouts not so much. I am sorry good teams don't often get taken to the woodshed like that when they are evenly matched or better then their opponent. Sure it could have been a game that got out of hand quickly and the 49ers weren't able to recover from it (like they did against the Falcons and Ravens) or it could mean they were just plain outmatched. At the very minimum it has destroyed any mental edge the 49ers had over the Seahawks up to that point. My guess is that the game means something in between the things getting out of hand and just being outmatched. I personally expect a hard fought series this year, as I said earlier I don't expect a sweep. I fully expect both teams will win their home game.


    I could argue the point about the margin of victory (Niners lost 21-0 against the Bucs in 2010 then the following year beat the Bucs 48-3...any given sunday), but for the most part I agree with you. I think it'll be another divisional split and both teams will be fighting for the division crown.


    I think the biggest shift in your example about the Bucs is what a difference having a decent coach makes. The 49ers were laying eggs under Singletary every year, even against bad teams. I think most people who know anything about football knew the 49ers had an awesome roster that was hamstrung by it's head coach before Harbaugh took over. The 49ers turning the score around like that isn't that surprising in retrospect. Also, if memory serves correctly, the Bucs kind of sucked in 2011 as well.
    User avatar
    razor150
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Giedi wrote:
    Teqneek wrote:The statement doesnt even make sense... They were still in a fight for the division.. and the season only had 3 games left. What were teams going to pick up against the Seahawks they hadnt the other 13 games? Besides like someone else said. What does our offense scoring 42 points have to do with their inept attempt?

    Their real offense with Alex Smith scores 13 at home.. their non real offense with Kaep can barely get a TD against our backups? Doesnt sound to promising for his game plan lol


    Wasn't at least 7 of those 42 scored by the special teams?


    No but, what's that got to do with the price of tea in England anyway?


    Well, the statement said their *offense scored 42,* that's not a correct statement if the special teams scored 7 of the 42. That means something like 35 was really scored by the offense with 7 being scored by the special teams.

    As for England, I didn't know Robert England drank tea. ;)
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:You haven't proven that it is true. If you are correct that Roman came up with some new tricks for the Packers game, good for him. But the Yahoo article that launched this thread wasn't talking about Roman's game plan for the Packers game, it was making the claim A) that he dialed back the playbook in the last two games of the season and B) did it to keep from showing his hand to potential playoff teams. Not the same thing; for all we know, Roman sat down after the regular season and said, "the usual stuff isn't working. I need to try something new." All you have proved is that he tried some new things in the playoffs. You haven't proven that he ran a "vanilla O" to end the regular season. And the reason why I am skeptical that he did is because that would be a very foolish thing to do with a division title and a first-round bye up for grabs.

    You're right that I don't pay as much attention to the 49ers as you do, but I have been a Seahawks season ticket holder for 14 years, and I can honestly say I have never seen a quarterback look so rattled and shaken as Kaepernick looked last December. I don't say it to slam him--I expect he will put together a much better game in Seattle this season--but he looked completely lost out there. What you call a vanilla gameplan, I call the result of a quarterback who, for that game at least, was completely overmatched.

    ...

    I was there. I saw the deer in headlights, hoofs over ears look.


    Well OK, I'll belive that you were there, and nobody can deny it was a shellacking.

    I certainly don't deny it. What I will say is it's one of the few times that I've seen that coaching staff panic. I didn't see the QB panic. I think the OC and the HC started panicking after that special teams fiasco and being down 21 points, and the game started getting away from them. They left behind what got them scores before against the "Hawks and started pressing the long pass to get back into the game and the 'Hawks just laid it into them with the pressures.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • I chuckle at some Seahawk fans who keep bringing this game up. It was Kaep's 6th start in a loud Seahawks stadium. His 6th start. He went on to crush and set records against Green Bay, came back to beat Atlanta (who just beat the Seahawks) in Atlanta and almost came back against the Raven's in the Super Bowl. Get over that game. 1/4 wins in two season against the 9ers big deal. Now we'll have an offseason taylored to Kaepernick. Can't wait.
    Last edited by TheGOAT#80 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    TheGOAT#80
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 29
    Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:Here's a better question tho...are you suggesting that Wilson CAN be shaken?


    Unless Russell Wilson proves to be a terminator, an angelic being, or a former resident of the planet Krypton, then of course he can be shaken. I think he has shown remarkable resiliency so far in his career and has shown that he can bounce back from bad plays and bad games better than a lot of players I have ever seen, but he is human and as such he can be shaken. So can Kaepernick. And when you think about it, for Kaepernick to go into one of the toughest places in the league to play with a division title and playoff bye on the line, it's only natural that he WOULD be shaken given what happened in that game. Like I said before, if he is the caliber of quarterback you think he is, he will take that experience, learn from it, and become a better quarterback in the long run because of it. It's the same thing with Wilson.

    Jim Mora was Seattle's head coach for one lamentable season and I knew it was going to be a disaster when he said that he had "never failed in anything." A man who can say that is either lying through his teeth or has never attempted anything worthwhile. Wilson and Kaepernick have both failed at times. They have both been shaken and rattled at times. What is going to define their careers is how they respond. Kaepernick will probably be better prepared for his next game at CenturyLink and do a better job in that game because the first one shook him so badly. The Seahawks will still win, though. ;)
    User avatar
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 1218
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am


  • Shadowhawk wrote:
    Giedi wrote:I think the shellshock was more the defense being run over by Seattle and the Seattle special teams creaming the 49ers, than the QB getting shell shocked. They are a power run team, and if you get a lead on them, they start to panic and cant to their regular routine of winning the game in the 2nd half with the power run game. Seattle did a great job of getting the jump on them early and they started to break down and panic and get away from their game plan. It happens. Anytime the score margin is in the plus 14 differential, *something* has happned that the losing team didn't expect. Most NFL teams are within a 14 point differential of each other, I think the parity in the NFL is that close.


    Personally, from my POV in the stands and re-watching the game on TV later, my opinion is that Kaepernick was shell shocked, too. Not just because of the delay of game penalties that Marvin mentioned, though I believe that's part of it. To give just one example, early in the second quarter (right before the blocked field goal) Kaepernick threw a dangerous pass into the back of the end zone that probably should have been intercepted. No big deal; rookie mistake. But in the fourth quarter, he throws the EXACT SAME PASS and gets picked off by Richard Sherman. That's more than a rookie mistake: that's a quarterback who has been completely thrown for a loop.

    Now, as I said before I expect that Kaepernick will turn in a better performance in his next trip to CenturyLink Field. But the young QB I saw that night was shaken to the bone. There's no shame in that: if he's the kind of quarterback 49er fans think he is, a night like that will make him better in the long run. But I still stand by my opinion that San Francisco's woeful offensive performance that night was the result of a quarterback who was rattled by a tough defense and a deafening crowd, and not the result of an attempt to scale down the playbook. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.


    Well Ok, we can agree to disagree on that topic - that Kaepernick was shell shocked.

    I also think that the article isn't that far off base. I dont think it's any more complicated than calling a sweep from an I formation vs a pistol formation. You don't have to be in the pistol formation to throw a deep out or a drag route. You can call that from a shotgun or a two back formation. Same play, just from a different formations. Nothing more and nothing less. The full panoply of assorted runs, passes and trick plays will still be there just run from anything *other* than the pistol formation. That also doesn't mean that the 49ers laid down like dogs, no, I think they brought their A game and got toasted by the better team that day, simple as that.
    Giedi
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 am


  • LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • NinerLifer wrote:LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.


    Ah, cause its the off season and we are bored (Hawks and 9ers alike). And funny you ask, aren't you the one that started the "where did your 49er hatred come from" thread?
    User avatar
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 711
    Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am


  • Semantics to save face. End of the day, their game plan was still to win. They were completely embarrassed, no one wants to lose like that. 9ers were handled badly in all phases that game.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • lvnginhwktwn wrote:
    NinerLifer wrote:LOL...why is this being talked about so much?

    This is obviously one of those topics that neither side will cave on, even though it is common knowledge that a lot of coaches do what ours did so late in the season when facing a team that they are likely to face in the post season. I think what happened was that our coaching staff got caught off guard and surprised that you guys were able to play as well as you did despite them admittedly not completely opening the play book that night or whatever their plan (or lack there of) was.

    But at this point who cares? If the situation was reversed I am sure that us Niner fans would reply this way to Seahawk fans attempting to down play one of the biggest victories of the season.


    Ah, cause its the off season and we are bored (Hawks and 9ers alike). And funny you ask, aren't you the one that started the "where did your 49er hatred come from" thread?


    Ya it was, so what? I seriously was curious where or why they disliked the Niners so much or if it was merely because we are division rivals, as some seemed to have a deep hatred to them which seemed to be more than just division rivalry type of stuff. It had nothing to do with trying to convince them otherwise or anything, I was just curious where it came from. That thread ended up turning into something that it wasnt intended to do.

    What's your point? I wasn't trying to convince them to suddenly stop hating on Niner fans. However it seems that some on here think they can change their opinions about one of the biggest victories they had on their schedule last year.
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


  • Easy tiger, not sure if I like the tone of your voice young man.
    User avatar
    lvnginhwktwn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 711
    Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.


    This is extremely ironic coming from someone on seahawks.net...
    User avatar
    seahawksflow
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 166
    Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:14 pm


  • seahawksflow wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:
    Seahawk fans come to Niner boards as well and I debate them just as I do here.

    Now please get off the high horse.


    This might be true if your lame ass boards would allow debates, but from what I've seen and heard they ban anyone who even peeps a word about any team other than the 49ers leaving no time for debating anything at all.


    This is extremely ironic coming from someone on seahawks.net...


    LOL. Exactly how many 49er fans have we banned lately?
    Image

    “There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    User avatar
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3302
    Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Bakergirl wrote:
    LOL. Exactly how many 49er fans have we banned lately?


    Not enough.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18511
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • 9 pages of SF trash. The comment was obviously the dumbest thing he could have said, if any 'hawks are listening to this jibberish...they're about to bring some real pain to SF.


    Has this been linked to the "Why should we dislike the 49ers" thread?


    This thread is the embodiment of why SF fans suck. Spitting out redundant mouth garbage, over....and over....and over...trying to pass it off as football knowledge. The few fine 49er gents that frequent this board get a pass (they know who they are), the rest of you are just terrible...terrible people. You should all be ashamed of your existence.


    :pukeface:
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2108
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • Oh yeah, I remember this game...

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    "I want to go home"

    Image
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7941
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • I'm not going to read all 9 pages of whiner bs. But the fact is we held sf to 13 twice this year, but hey maybe they held back both times. :twisted:
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2183
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1507
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


  • BASF wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.


    You know, looking at the picture, there are an awful lot of linemen who never moved:
    Image


    Hah. That is an awesome picture.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    User avatar
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *
     
    Posts: 7011
    Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    CamanoIslandJQ wrote:RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.


    See this stuff just amazes me.

    Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).

    I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.



    Because Wilson was a Rookie? Didnt have a year and almost a half to learn his teams playbook, players and work with them before hand consistently in camp and practice.

    THIS is what amazes me.. people act as if a QB gains nothing from being on the team already for a year and a half. Im not sure how Kaepernick took SF to the superbowl... Did you miss Alex Smiths numbers before he got knocked out? Its a system, the system prevailed, doesnt mean Kaepernick with a headstart on Wilson is a world beater.

    Kaepernick will be incredible when he stops running straight line or always bootlegging left to take off... and stops staring down his receivers.
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information