49ers OC claims he didn't use real offense during 42-13 loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGunning101

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--offen ... 09392.html

Amid some knob-slobbering hagiography of 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman by Mike Silver, a multi-page opus essentially saying that Roman deserved every open head coaching job but was thwarted by reaching the Super Bowl, there was this wonderful tidbit:

The plays Roman unveils on the screen, of course, are far more aesthetically pleasing. "He's a genius when it comes to football," Staley says. "He comes up with crazy stuff you don't see anywhere else — and he calls it at the perfect time."

Except, of course, when he intentionally doesn't. In mid-December, after the Niners pulled out a 41-34 victory over the New England Patriots to improve to 10-3-1, Roman consciously decided to dial back the offense in order to keep potential playoff opponents off balance.

That approach seemed dubious the following Sunday night in Seattle, when the 49ers absorbed a 42-13 thrashing at the hands of the Seahawks, but Roman took solace in the fight Kaepernick displayed in leading San Francisco to a late touchdown.

Oh Greg Roman, yes, you intentionally failed to score points on national TV when you still hadn't even clinched your division title, against the team that could still take that title from you. Truly, your genius is something to behold.

I have no idea how we will withstand the unstoppable onslaught of Greg Roman when he actually tries. Whatever shall the Seahawks defense do?

:lol:

I hope Richard Sherman laughs in this guy's face after we shellack them in Candlestick next season.

pinksheets

Reaction score
This is how 8 year olds bicker over video games..."Ok, you won but I wasn't even trying, let's play again."

No class.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Teams do this all the time but..........

SF's main problem on offense was not installing hand signal "check with me's" for Kaep.
He was totally lost changing plays at the line.

Their biggest problem on defense was GIVING UP 42 POINTS!
What's their excuse for that?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I suppose Roman threw the Superbowl to boot, just to make people go WTF before they win the next 3 in a row. LOL.

Seaman

Reaction score
If I was his boss, then he'd be canned the second after that statement, if true... Same goes for these FO's who tank it for draft position. You try to win every time out on the field. Period dot. And anything else is unacceptable. Then again, that'sthe "old school" in me. Not a fan of Greg Roman or his "genius" philosophy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
A Whiney exuse maker that plays perfectly into Harbaugh's mentality. If anything, Jimmy gave him brownie points for that.

themunn

Reaction score
I doubt even with their "real" offense they'd have been 12 of 13 on 3rd down as we were

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You play to lose thr game!!!

I like their philosophy. Maybe they did that in thr first half of the super bowl yoo . Genius.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Typical whiner bs.

Seattle owns the NFCW.

It started on that late December cold rainy afternoon last year.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I guess they left their real defense at home too. Maybe they also decided to save that tricky FG play where they block defenders and don't let the kick get blocked.

A

Anonymous

Somewhere, in some dark and dreary newsroom, countless others paid to spew their literary jargon, are contemplating the next stab at justifying their employment during a rather boring off-season.

"Wow, I've got some serious cabin fever going on here, what else can we dig up and put a spin on?"

While I agree that some offensive posturing goes on in the football world, that nationally-televised game with so many post season implications was not the time to do it. If this whole thing was true, clearer heads would have prevailed by the 3rd or 4th offensive series, not late in the fourth quarter.

I call BS.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Well sure. 49ers have held back in many games, just to make things sporting, to spread the wins around the league and make it competitive. After all, we'd be left without a league if they played to their full potential, thus creating disillusionment and distaste by other fans.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That approach seemed dubious the following Sunday night in Seattle, when the 49ers absorbed a 42-13 thrashing at the hands of the Seahawks, but Roman took solace in the fight Kaepernick displayed in leading San Francisco to a late touchdown.

That was my favorite quote from the article. If he actually told Silver he was proud in any way of that late TD, he was just putting lipstick on the pig. Kaepernick throws a garbage time TD trailing 42-6, a TD that isn't a TD on replay, and throws it on a Seattle secondary that consists of emptied bench players, and it is labeled "fight". I am sure all the next week the Niners were talking about the late score showing their fight. Yeah right. The Niners were unprepared for the noise, and getting plays in late to a rookie QB was a problem even through the playoffs for Roman. It is fact that some of Roman's personnel groups are incredibly difficult to defend, and his stunting offensive linemen are very creative, but getting those widely varied offensive groups on and off the field also slows his offense and puts his QB against the clock.

The entire article is a complaint that Roman didn't get a head coaching job somewhere. Perhaps instead of focusing on the jobs he isn't getting, and telling Silver how unfair it is that Super Bowl coaches are unfairly not getting jobs, Roman should focus on the fact that his red zone offense has been below average for two years.

drdiags

Reaction score
Does seem kind of silly that a coach is handicapped if his team is involved in a deep playoff run. If the league could put off the draft and the start of the new NFL year, they should put a moratorium on coaching hires until after the playoffs. I wonder if Bradley gets the Jaguars job if Roman is available?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'm sure their special teams let a FG be blocked and returned for a TD on purpose too.

Reaction score
You guys could also look at the snap counts before you jump to conclusions. I was reading earlier (after the divisional round of the playoffs) that they ran something like 10% of their plays from the pistol in the Seattle, New England and Arizona games, then ran something like 60% of the snaps from the pistol in the Packers game.

Most of the common winners do this towards the end of the year anyways, it's not new. The Giants, Packers, Patriots would all dial back and try to run generic towards the end if the division was a lock and save their game planning for the post season.

I'd say it worked out amazingly well. Did you see how badly they embarrassed Green Bay?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I honestly think he's making this crap up.

Seriously, they owned the NFCW 2 years ago, then this year they barely won it over a surging Seahawks rival and couldn't beat the Rams. I'm guessing they didn't unveil their full genius against the Rams both games out of respect for Fisher....or as a divisional brotherly show of love. Problem is that Harbaugh doesn't have respect for any other coaches.

So, the Niners didn't unveil their offense against the Hawks to not show wrinkles against potential playoff oponents (I could almost buy this as their last game was the Cards, who were in a flat spin)...and that did what exactly ?

It gave their team momentum going into the playoffs ?

It shoved an upcoming rival's face in the mud and proved that we really can't beat them ?

It gave their team confidence and worked on some vital playcalling issues heading into the playoffs ?

This is going to be a murderous division. You don't want to give anyone an advantage, much less the mental stigma off that epic ass whooping we gave them. Absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.