Antoine Winfield Highlights - L.O.B. material?

Winterfell

Reaction score
[youtube]ojoU2zT4qSw[/youtube]

Wow, after watching Antoine Winfield's highlights, I have to say, he would look great as a member of the Legion of Boom.

He's as physical as they come. And would (no offense to Trufant) add another element of beastliness to our secondary that extends to the slot cornerback.

Plus, based on Roland's Pro Football Focus stats, he graded out as the #1 overall CB last year just edging out Sherman.

If we can bring him in for a similar deal to what the 49ers gave Asomugha, what would you think?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
going to sign with the redskins. He wants a ring, and he's too old to realize the seahawks are good.

edit: not trying to be a pessimist, i'd love to have him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Winter, the vast majority of his points came from defending the run. He was WAY below Sherman for pass coverage. Just FYI. Still, he'd be a big upgrade for Tru.

OP
OP
Winterfell

Winterfell

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ded7jhk said:
Winter, the vast majority of his points came from defending the run. He was WAY below Sherman for pass coverage. Just FYI. Still, he'd be a big upgrade for Tru.

I'm quite impressed with how good he is defending the run considering the position he plays (CB) and him being "only" 5'9" - the way he tackles reminds me of a Brandon Browner mini-me. He's darn physical. Just like how no other corner really came close to Sherman's pass coverage numbers, no other corner really came close to Winfield's run defense numbers. I don't think any other corner even sniffed double digits run defense numbers.

This makes me think that bringing in Winfield would only help strengthen an area of our defense that struggled a bit nearing the end of the season - run defense.

The cool thing is that Winfield's pass coverage didn't "suffer" as a result of his ability to play the run, it was a solid 7, which was better than guys like Joe Haden, Brandon Browner, Lardarius Webb WHILE being only slightly lower than guys like Champ Bailey and Patrick Peterson.

As long as we can sign Winfield for a short-term, incentive-laden contract similar to Asomugha, I don't see why the Seahawks shouldn't pursue him. He would clearly be an upgrade over Marcus Trufant and directly address the only real area of our secondary that could use a direct upgrade - nickel cornerback.

Dismas

Reaction score
At some point, a personnel guy has to take the locker room into consideration.
If management brings in every Tom, Dick and Harry who had a pretty good season l;ast year, eventually the guys who were already here will start to take offense.

Up to this point, JS has brought in:
A clearly dynamic playmaker on offens . . no grumbles from anyone when you can land a guy like Percy Harvin
A guy that fills a glaring need (Avril) on the end, with Clem in rehab
A guy to replace an injury prone Jason Jones (Bennett)
A guy to compete for the honor of first runner up to Russell Wilson

None of these men pose a real threat to any of our starters, except perhaps Harvin, but it wuld be hard to not look like a douche if you
complain about him being traded for.

If you start panting after every decent corner,safety, or whatever, pretty soon the LOB, the linebackers, the linemen, all start grumbling
and wondering how they could be so unappreciated.

If I am JS, I stand pat now in free agency, and bring in rookies from the draft to fight their way up.

Really, with the 3 main new guys we have already, we could start the season tomorrow and I like our chances to dominate in every.single.game.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Dismas":3hy5h08y said:
At some point, a personnel guy has to take the locker room into consideration.
If management brings in every Tom, Dick and Harry who had a pretty good season l;ast year, eventually the guys who were already here will start to take offense.

Up to this point, JS has brought in:
A clearly dynamic playmaker on offens . . no grumbles from anyone when you can land a guy like Percy Harvin
A guy that fills a glaring need (Avril) on the end, with Clem in rehab
A guy to replace an injury prone Jason Jones (Bennett)
A guy to compete for the honor of first runner up to Russell Wilson

None of these men pose a real threat to any of our starters, except perhaps Harvin, but it wuld be hard to not look like a douche if you
complain about him being traded for.

If you start panting after every decent corner,safety, or whatever, pretty soon the LOB, the linebackers, the linemen, all start grumbling
and wondering how they could be so unappreciated.

If I am JS, I stand pat now in free agency, and bring in rookies from the draft to fight their way up.

Really, with the 3 main new guys we have already, we could start the season tomorrow and I like our chances to dominate in every.single.game.

I"m feeling really good that right now your not JS. Time is now, not when the rookies fight their way up eventually.
If JS wanted to stand pat and let rookies work their way up, we would not have invested heavily into FA's. JS realizes too, that the TIME IS NOW. Hawks are in a position that can be only attained once in a great while, meaning that RW's contract is so low that it allows us to fill in holes with quality players. Will we be able to do this in 3 years? NO, and look no further than Baltimore and their 20 million dollar man.

If we can get Winfield, we should, he's the best nickle/run stopper in the league right now and it's a position that we need to fulfill.

If our players take offense, well they can do one of two things.. 1 play better, 2 pack their crap and hit the highway.

Too, these guys are shown appreciation by the million dollar contracts they sign,, then they go home and their wifes tell them how good they are.

OP
OP
Winterfell

Winterfell

Reaction score
When guys like Sherman have gone on air and publicly tried to recruit a guy like Woodson, I think it shows that for the most part our players aren't selfish about bringing in free agents, and that improving their chances of winning is important to them.

GCrow

Reaction score
Personally, just love him doing the "Bernie" at the start of the video as his intro.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
News:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m
RT @seankjensen Former #Vikings CB Antoine Winfield is expected to visit the Seahawks early next week, according to a source.

penihawk

Reaction score
would love to get him on a 1 or 2 yr deal that makes sense for us. He is a tackling machine and playmaker and would fit nicely in Tru's spot.

KK84

Reaction score
Immediate upgrade to the only weakness in our secondary. An absolute no-brainer for a year or two if the price is right. Get it done John

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Hearing the experts take on Winfield it would seem he is just leveraging his way back to Minnesota. I would bet he'd be happy in Seattle given all the familiar faces.
Winfield is 35 yo but still has good speed and great instincts. He's a tough SOB who played with a broken hand late in the season.
He still has much game and plays bigger than his 5'9" frame. I recall he made some big plays against us--one in which he bodied 6'7" Evan Moore on a pass down the middle.
He'd likely be an upgrade for his skill and experience.

Latest posts