Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 pm 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Auburn, WA
757Niner wrote:
loafoftatupu wrote:
757Niner wrote:
[quote="RolandDeschain"]Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.


Yeah, they seem to be extremely sensitive these days. I lurk from time to time but I rarely ever post there anymore.[/quote]

They actually remind me a lot of this board sometimes. You have managed to last here for a good while and while thick skinned, you are capable of duking it out and not getting banned. Maybe the next time you visit them you can give them examples. Heck, I won't hassle ya because the 757 was my favorite plane to build until they quit making them.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 881
Location: Denver, Colorado
pretty sure hes from the bay area, niners got the hometown discount. Man these 9er - Hawk games are gonna be epic!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 368
Winterfell wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:

Huh? Culliver's ranked 29th overall, 21st in pass coverage per Pro Football Focus. I'm seriously wondering about your ability to read basic stats.

Image

There's the whole list. Richard Sherman, by the way, ranked 2nd overall and 1st - by a LARGE margin - in pass coverage. Nobody else even hit the 20s for pass coverage, but he was rated 26.4.


What amazes me is Antoine Winfield being ranked #1 overall. I knew he was an excellent run-stopper and tackler at CB, but didn't realize he'd be well-rounded enough overall to be #1, especially at his age.

That would be AWESOME if due to his age and the market for FAs, we were able to sign Antoine Winfield to a similar deal to what the 49ers gave to Asomugha. He sounds like he'd make a BEASTLY slot CB for us on a one year, incentives-laden deal, and improve our run defense.


Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:28 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm
Posts: 128
Location: The Wall
5_Golden_Rings wrote:

Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?


For the same reasons why San Francisco added Nnamdi Asomugha even though they have Rogers, Brown, and Culliver.

For added depth/insurance. Both the Seahawks and 49ers are, by and large, the two most "complete" and well-balanced teams in the entire league. Neither of us are in any real NEED for multiple positions. We're both just looking to improve what we already have, and have the luxury of picking the best players available in FA and the draft.

Although the Seahawks have arguably the best secondary in football, we could always use some improvement in the nickel cornerback position to defend those quick slot receivers. Although Marcus Trufant wasn't BAD per se, he wasn't eye-popping either. Adding Antoine Winfield to our secondary would add yet another extremely physical CB who is a sure tackler that will enhance our run defense further. He is also above average in pass coverage, so it's not like he'll be a one-trick pony.

_________________
Image


Last edited by Winterfell on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:34 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
5_Golden_Rings wrote:
Why in the world would Seattle want another corner?


Lol, good question. We're spoiled?

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm
Posts: 280
The Outfield wrote:
How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

I never saw the hype.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10041
Teqneek wrote:
The Outfield wrote:
How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

I never saw the hype.

Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Not to mention INT stats kinda suck and shouldn't be used when evaluating DB's (too much). Mark Carrier...that's all I'll say.

Very few CB's, as in 5 during my lifetime, have ever been able to "create" an interception. Most of them come from bad QB decisions or great DC play-calling.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:33 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:20 am
Posts: 111
Scottemojo wrote:
Teqneek wrote:
The Outfield wrote:
How in the world did they get him so cheap? $1.35m, none of it guaranteed.


Im confused on why he got paid in the first place. 15 interceptions in 10 years, One year he had 8, he avg 1 a year every other year, 3 years with more than 10 defended passes.

I never saw the hype.

Because number ones were pretty much going to do nothing vs the Raiders. How do you get interceptons when they won't throw your way?

Put away your stats, they are tricking you. Nnamdi might be getting slower and older, but he was damn good.


Pretty much this. When you are a true shutdown corner like Sanders, Revis and Nnamdi used to be, quarterbacks rarely throw it to the man you are covering. A #1 WR becomes nothing more than a decoy for most of the game.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
Awesome-wah is the correct way to pronounce it.

@EastCoast: I doubt it. It seems more likely to me that he benefited largely from being the only CB that wasn't a joke on the Oakland roster, so QBs just tossed the other way. In fact, I just looked up his 2008 and 2009 stats, and WOW he was almost never thrown at. Almost half of his games over the 2008-2009 seasons, he was thrown at ONCE.

People were scared to throw at him. Maybe partially the Kelly Jennings effect too, though; stuck to his guy like glue, though he didn't defend that many of the passes people did throw his way. I don't know. He did defend 8 pases in 2012, however. I'll be curious to see how he performs with the 49ers.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
You know for a fan base that claims to not be too afraid of the fact we picked up Nnamdi, you guys are talking about him an awful lot. ;)

But seriously, don't let anybody fool you into thinking that we are all screaming "championship" now that we picked up Nnamdi. What we are happy about is the genius that our front office used in this pick up. It is a no risk deal that might pay dividends if he does return to close to his former self now that he is a part of a defense that he should be able to flourish in. We play man coverage 70% of the time, which should give him plenty of opportunities to prove himself. The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money proves that he is motivated to prove that he is still a pro bowl CB.

And if he doesn't work out, then he rides the bench for free!

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:36 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Yeah, SF is cutting-edge when it comes to "prove it" deals. I wish the Seahawks did those.

Man, SF is genius.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:16 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
NinerLifer wrote:
The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money


Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:26 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
RolandDeschain wrote:
NinerLifer wrote:
The fact that he didn't want any guaranteed money


Don't get me wrong, no guaranteed money's great for the 49ers, but frankly I'm doubtful that he was running around offering to sign for nothing but incentives. After his HORRIBLE performance in Philly, he likely was having trouble leveraging any guaranteed money and is hiding it. Just a guess on my part, I have no facts to back it up.


Possible, and I also imagine that the fact he was already banking $4 mil from Philly doesn't exactly leave him crying poverty either.

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am
Posts: 71
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.

I personally can't find one bad thing about this signing. No guaranteed money at the players request is never heard of. This guy is hungry to prove those 2 years in phillies horrid defense were a fluke. If he sucks, then he gets cut and the niners are right back to where they were last week.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:38 am 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10215
Location: Helm's Deep
Nnamdi is his name
Nnamdi is his name
Nnam-me, Nnam-you, Nnamdi
Nnamdi is his name.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
4freakin9 wrote:
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.


Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 690
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000157076/ ... sco-49ers/

_________________
DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
This is a great savings. This is what put the 49ers over the edge. Now when the 49ers team go out for team dinner they will get the AARP discount!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:50 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:30 pm
Posts: 323
pinksheets wrote:
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.


I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:18 pm 
* NET Nobody *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
Posts: 7597
Hawk Finn wrote:
Actually, it's not fair to criticize SF for this. I would have been happy to have Nnaammddii (sp?) in SEA if there was a significant need at the position. Like, if we were really, really desperate and the only other option was Carlos Rogers. Where did that guy end up, anyway?


You really are Hawk Finn. :) I see what you did there, and thanks for the laughs

_________________
RELEASE THE KRAKEN! (FREE BROWNER!)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:26 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:30 pm
Posts: 323
pinksheets wrote:
I'm not saying he was only the product of that, I'm saying it helped him and inflated his reputation. My point is that the "Revis vs. Aso" debate was ridiculous at the time, he was never that kind of player. He was a pretty dang good corner who was looking like an elite corner, which I don't believe he was, and now he's fallen off a bit.


That's probably a fair assessment. He probably never was as good as most thought coming from Oakland due to what you state, but he's probably not as bad as most think now coming off some rough years in Philly.

I think we'll probably see a player somewhere in between those two extremes.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:00 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm
Posts: 16
loafoftatupu wrote:
757Niner wrote:
RolandDeschain wrote:
Hahahaha, that was quick. I'm already banned. What scrubs. I was even nice when I posted it.



They banned you? That's some bullshit, really. I left the webzone years ago...that place is the black hole as far as Niner boards. Even the .com boards have gotten ridiculously anal lately, having to sign-in to view the boards and things of that nature. I go elsewhere to talk about the Niners these days...

As far as Aso, its a meh signing. It doesn't make us better ,talent-wise, it may make us deeper however. Allows us not to have to press a rookie into action if he isnt ready. Aso is no longer a very good starter. But I think he could be a very good 3rd or 4th CB, if motivated. He wasn't guaranteed anything....money nor a starting gig, not even a roster spot so I supposed that's great motivation. We shall see...



There are guys on the .com board doing their best to cry about getting banned on this board. Because as you know, if anyone is glad to hear Pro-Seahawk news from a Seahawks fan, it is the .com board. Where you can't even READ it without being logged in. I actually like some of the guys there, but there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity going on the SF boards these days. The Webzone banned some old dude for talking nice about Russell Wilson, he was an oldschool Niner fan.

As for the signing?...... Championship! Probably as good as or better than Tru. LOL.


Hey lofa. I recognize your username from the Niners forums. Your avi is hilarious

or are you a different dude?

_________________
^ Niners Fan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm
Posts: 282
Location: New Orleans
Babsmack wrote:
Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

anyway, back on topic.....

Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!


I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:

_________________
Image

pehawk wrote:
I have a boner, right now, as I type this.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 pm
Posts: 16
IronSaint wrote:
Babsmack wrote:
Yeah, I heard there were some pretty snotty Mods back in the day. It's a cool place now. Just gotta watch the raw jokes and language there, 49ers allow us to be the "official" board - with restrictions. If one can behave properly, it's a good time. We have many members that are fans of other teams there cause it's a fun place during the workday - passes the time. Including a few from here, the restrictions make it SFW, lol

anyway, back on topic.....

Not sure I like Nnamdi, seems the TO type. Maybe Harbs can fix em!


I say you're full of it. I've tried twice and your mods are too pretentious to let me come and play and "pass the time", if that's what you youngin's are calling it these days. :les:


Not sure what the deal is, but took me 3 years of trying to register

_________________
^ Niners Fan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:05 pm 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:53 am
Posts: 71
RolandDeschain wrote:
4freakin9 wrote:
LOL at that CB rank list they keep posting. Devin McCourty at #8 , nuff said. I'm from NE and that dude is soooo bad in coverage that they had to move him to safety after only like 2 years even though they had a need at CB. That list is a joke.


Not that I don't believe you over a major advanced stats website that most of the NFL media relies on, (yes, there's some sarcasm there) but can you point out a particular couple of games in 2012 where he was horrible in coverage for me to review on NFL Game Rewind? (I love the fact that you can watch entire games in ~33 minutes on there.)



NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:53 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
4freakin9 wrote:
NE traded for Talib to shore up the position and move McCourty back too safety. You could probably watch any game within 3 weeks before the Talib trade to see it. For me, it was hearing about how bad McCourty sucked at CB constantly before the Talib trade on sports talk in the area. There was a clear upgrade in NE's coverage after Talib took over as the #1 corner. I guess I should believe an major advanced stats website over the NE front office though. Sarcasm aside, McCourty is doing alright as a safety but it was really weird how he looked like a stud as a rookie and then fell off the last couple of years playing CB.


Well, the fact that New England has gone approximately 7,000 years since they last had a good secondary on their defense, I'm not making the assumption that they utilize their personnel correctly, or that they get the right personnel for the schemes they run. Just as a general statement.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:59 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am
Posts: 229
I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am
Posts: 28
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were not to mention that the loss of Goldson makes his acquisition even more understandable. I don't see how it's a bad signing, and to simply dismiss him is strange, Carlos Rogers was never as highly regarded as Namdi was at one point. They both made huge migrations towards other teams at different ends of the country. One guy surged in Carlos Rodgers where one fell apart if anything it might be a case of the amount of talent around and bad schemes, not to mention the fact that maybe the offense of the 49ers helped their defense through ball control and minimal turn overs; the Eagles had quite a few turn over problems the past two years and that would put more pressure on the defense.

He's probably not starting material anymore, and probably doesn't represent an actual threat like he once did, but you can't simply dismiss a veteran player who's going to a talented team who is seeking to rebound, and has proven he is capable of playing very well. What's expected of him in San Fransisco today is not the same of what the Eagles wanted out of him when he arrived there.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
Shinigami wrote:
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were


I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Auburn, WA
Babsmack wrote:

Hey lofa. I recognize your username from the Niners forums. Your avi is hilarious

or are you a different dude?


I'm pretty sure it is. :2:

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 am 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Auburn, WA
Hey isn't Nnamdi the third person dude?

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:03 am 
I'M JIMMY!
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
Posts: 4298
Location: Auburn, WA
Bobblehead wrote:
I was listining to the guys on the radio this morning, and I have to agree with them, could have been Clayton.

CB's are not a weakness that the 9ers needed to cover, sure, he'll be an upgrade, but not a significant upgrade that will do a lot.

9ers weakness is the front 4 depth, remember them being exhausted when the Hawks played them, well they need more of them.
2) Safety, they just lost their enforcer and that too is what needs tending.

So as a Hawk fan.. yeah, great, but it won't do you (49ers) much good.


I think that SF is going to probably use some of their current secondary players in other spots within it, while drafting some players to fill both spots. They were not "weak" there, but they were giving up some passing yards that the unit didnt give up earlier.

I see NA as assurance that they have "some" level of talent there in the case of a young player not being ready. With all those picks the Niners should be able to find at least a few decent players.

The loss of Goldson was one of impact, but that is more about the physical presence than anything. I would not be surprised to see one of the current players seeing some time in his spot.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am
Posts: 28
RolandDeschain wrote:
Shinigami wrote:
There's no reason to think that he can't play safety if his skills as a cb aren't what they once were


I strongly disagree. Nnamdi failed horribly in zone coverage. His skill is being a roadrunner tagging along with a receiver. Safety requires you to make snap decisions about where to go on the field. It's not like being a CB in zone coverage, per se, but it's quite different from playing man coverage on the side most of the time. I think Nnamdi would fail at safety; I don't see any evidence that he would succeed there. If you do, please explain, in detail, how you think he would succeed at safety? (Free safety; he's not a hitter or strong enough to go defend the run half the time.)


I'm just stating that he's a good player who clearly is no longer a pro bowler, but there's no reason to think that him going to a good team where he wont be the focal point can't be useful. As I stated the 49ers aren't expecting the things that the Eagles were so the benchmark of a quality season for him is a bit different now.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22621
Location: Kirkland, WA
Ah. To be honest, I'm actually quite curious to see how he does in man coverage, now. Is his career already dead, or are we about to see a couple-year revival to finish with? I have no clue, though I think the chances are probably more in favor of being finished.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:49 pm 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 1439
heyu123 wrote:
pinksheets wrote:
Whichever 49er fan called this signing "amazing"....what are you on?

Good signing no doubt. Guy who can play well, no risk for the 9ers, but let's not pretend there's a ton of upside here.

Did the Eagles misuse him? Sure, a bit. Were the Raiders teams he was on so bad with secondaries so awful that passing to him was less of a fear and more of "why not just pass to the totally open guy over here?" type scenario? Yes.

The thing with Aso is that he was never close to as good as he was made out to be. He wasn't targeted because he never needed to be, not because he was some sort of shutdown corner. He's a decent corner when playing well, but he was never elite. This signing doesn't do anything to affect my opinion of SF this year, and I wouldn't pencil this guy in as a starter in San Fran. He can use the sidelines to his advantage and perhaps push another SF corner inside in nickel packages, but that's it. I wouldn't have liked him for the Hawks for that reason, he can play outside alright if you got a guy you can move in, but he won't play inside well, he won't play zone well, and he won't shutdown solid receivers.


I think you're using a lot of revisionist history here. If it was that simple then why aren't there more Nnamdi's out there on teams with bad secondaries? There's a ton of horrible defensive teams and corners, yet there aren't very many at all who were doing what Nnamdi did in Oakland. Teams like Houston and Indy back in the day didn't go into the game saying "Oh well we won't throw to our #1 Andre Johnson today because their other corners are so bad." Nnamdi for the most part was shutting his man down and at one point WAS a top corner.

Now, at this point in his career those days are probably over. But it's disingenuous to pretend like he's really never been that good and was only a product of bad teams.


Just go back and look at the corner that played opposite Nnamdi...they weren't NFL caliber corners so teams went after those guys. Check number of targets against.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:46 pm
Posts: 173
you guys act like we're leaning on nnamdi to win the game for us or something.. hes just another 1 year contract addition that will provide some depth/wisdom to the younger guys. even if he falls flat on his face, we're still contenders for the division


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 49ers sign Nnamdi Asomugha
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:43 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
Nam..
Nnam..
Nami.....
Naid.........
Not going to work here anymore .....


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DesiHawk, Exabot [Bot], hawxfreak, JoeHawk80, Marvin49, Mojambo, oregonhawkfan, Polaris, RolandDeschain, TriCHawk, Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.