Colt McCoy?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Re: Colt McCoy?
Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 pm
  • Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time. Colt McCoy would be an ideal #2 QB here. You don't need an Elway-type arm to execute this offense. McCoy has nearly every attribute you would look for in a capable backup QB for this system. He has very good accuracy in the short/intermediate zones, he throws extremely well when rolling out (which the Seahawks do a lot of), particularly to his right, he's mobile, he's a tough runner, he has a solid football IQ, he's been in a system with WCO principles, he's an outstanding teammate and locker room guy, he's only 26, and the fact that he left as the all-time leader in wins by a QB in FBS history shows that leading his team to victory when called upon is not a foreign concept to McCoy. All his time in Cleveland proved is that he's probably not going to set the world on fire if you ask him to be a starter on an untalented team with two completely different coaching staffs during his 1.5 years as a starter - with a league-wide lockout right in the middle of it all. None of that would apply here. McCoy showed some nice promise as a rookie, including wins over the Saints (defending SB champs, on the road) and Patriots in his 2nd and 3rd career starts (64 combined points), against a brutal schedule. Then the Browns dumped their coaching staff, the lockout ensued, after which McCoy had all of about a month to completely learn new HC Pat Shurmer's offense before the start of the season, with rookie Greg Little as his top WR, and a debilitated Peyton Hillis as his top RB. Nobody could have succeeded under those circumstances. Nobody.

    The Seahawks should be so lucky to get a guy like McCoy to back up Russell Wilson, never mind potentially getting him for free.
    User avatar
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 732
    Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 pm


Re: Colt McCoy?
Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:34 pm
  • I think we will keep Flynn, It does not make sense to get rid of the guy, only to look at a market of washed up QBs. He costs a bit much, but I think he will agree to a restructured contract to be part of a winning team.
    User avatar
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 705
    Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 am
    Location: Battleground,WA


Re: Colt McCoy?
Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:38 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time. Colt McCoy would be an ideal #2 QB here. You don't need an Elway-type arm to execute this offense. McCoy has nearly every attribute you would look for in a capable backup QB for this system. He has very good accuracy in the short/intermediate zones, he throws extremely well when rolling out (which the Seahawks do a lot of), particularly to his right, he's mobile, he's a tough runner, he has a solid football IQ, he's been in a system with WCO principles, he's an outstanding teammate and locker room guy, he's only 26, and the fact that he left as the all-time leader in wins by a QB in FBS history shows that leading his team to victory when called upon is not a foreign concept to McCoy. All his time in Cleveland proved is that he's probably not going to set the world on fire if you ask him to be a starter on an untalented team with two completely different coaching staffs during his 1.5 years as a starter - with a league-wide lockout right in the middle of it all. None of that would apply here. McCoy showed some nice promise as a rookie, including wins over the Saints (defending SB champs, on the road) and Patriots in his 2nd and 3rd career starts (64 combined points), against a brutal schedule. Then the Browns dumped their coaching staff, the lockout ensued, after which McCoy had all of about a month to completely learn new HC Pat Shurmer's offense before the start of the season, with rookie Greg Little as his top WR, and a debilitated Peyton Hillis as his top RB. Nobody could have succeeded under those circumstances. Nobody.

    The Seahawks should be so lucky to get a guy like McCoy to back up Russell Wilson, never mind potentially getting him for free.


    A lot of that is Texas Longhorm-era urban myth (including him being an outstanding teammate and locker room guy - he ruffled a lot of feathers with his "I threw the ball in the dirt on purpose" comments after the Denver game this year), and as I said before no amount of excuses make the guy have the requisite NFL skills to come in and sustain a winning team. Which is essentially what you want from a backup - the ability to carry the team for a while when the starter's down. Or at least not sink it with suck.

    But I'll gladly admit that this is probably personal since I try to watch all the Seahawks games and I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon than have to watch Colt McCoy flounder around out there again for a team I'm rooting for.
    Hiko
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 pm
  • I wouldn't bother with any retreads. Bring in a couple of rookies and let 'em compete.
    If you don't want to lose draft capital, Jordan Rogers and Jeff Tuel could be had for
    a 7th, more likely FA. B.J. Daniels will almost surely be a Free Agent.

    If you like intrigue, try Collin Klein. He would be an emergency QB only, but would
    be interesting as a fullback in training or maybe a tight end (he is 6'5") and will almost
    surely be available as a free agent. Have you watched him? Guy's a baller.

    With a team like the Seahawks, free agents will be lined up over the mountain, at
    least those who aren't afraid to compete.
    two dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 719
    Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm
    Location: Yakima


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:41 am
  • I highly doubt we trade more than a 7th for McCoy, if that. He will be released since CLE just signed Campbell.

    We probably see whats available in the draft. (I don't really want Tyler Thigpen)
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1010
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm
    Location: Marysville, WA


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 1m
    Would have been a great fit for #Seahawks RT @JasonLaCanfora The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8849
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


  • Jason La Canfora‏@JasonLaCanfora5m
    The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move
    GoHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 489
    Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 pm


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:40 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams 1m
    Would have been a great fit for #Seahawks RT @JasonLaCanfora The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers. Another QB on the move.


    Oh crap! I was hoping we would get him. That young man played his heart out on a crap term versus some of the best defenses in the NFL! This one hurts!.

    Draft us a new back up John! Jordan Rodgers will do just fine :D (Matt Scott will go too high for us to get him)
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 9192
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Well at least if this is true it should stop the McCoy to Seattle rumors
    Image

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 14956
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm
  • I reckon we would've shown zero interest in trading for McCoy anyway.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 pm
  • Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
    Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8849
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:04 pm
  • /thread
    ______________________________

    Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

    Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    User avatar
    nwgamer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 363
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 am
    Location: Cashmere, WA


  • Hopefully he mentors Kaepernick with his vast experience gained while on the Browns.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15862
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Matt Maiocco‏@MaioccoCSN10m
    Source: The 49ers give up their 7th-round pick and their fifth for Colt McCoy and Browns' sixth. (So 49ers move back nine spots).
    GoHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 489
    Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 pm


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm
  • NorthDallas40oz wrote:Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time.


    Well said.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3509
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 6m
    Terms of deal: Browns agree to trade QB Colt McCoy and 6th-round pick to San Francisco for 5th- and 7th-round picks. Niners have new backup.


    Rest assured Hawk fans that if ever the day arises where the Niners need to rely on Colt McCoy, you can sleepwalk to the division title.
    Hiko
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am


  • i get the feeling ninners took him just so seahawks couldn't...
    User avatar
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 208
    Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm
    Location: ..Location..Location


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 pm
  • Way overpaid for him.
    Treefiddy
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 286
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:32 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:39 pm
  • There's five games in the 49ers schedule that even with McCoy they should be the favorites.

    It's a great move for them, IMO, but I'm ok with the Seahawks not making a move. Now with the 9ers getting their #2 QB and a bunch of other teams gabbing theirs, there should be some good value with mid-round QBs in the draft.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2219
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:08 pm
  • The last time the Hawks played Colt Mccoy he whooped us 6-3. He's quality backup material :D
    Status: Active lieutenant in the 12th Man Army
    User avatar
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 723
    Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:19 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:47 pm
  • 12thMan1 wrote:The last time the Hawks played Colt Mccoy he whooped us 6-3. He's quality backup material :D


    Not sure I would have brought that up either way LOL. ;)
    DISCLAIMER:

    The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    User avatar
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 690
    Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm
  • Wasn't that a charlie whitehurst game? So it's proven he's a better backup then check down charlie, well worth a 7th round pick and 3mil. :sarcasm_off:
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    User avatar
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 948
    Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm
    Location: Bellingham, WA


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm
  • McCoy sucks
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    User avatar
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *
     
    Posts: 3151
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:37 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: Colt McCoy?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:27 pm
  • Hawk Strap wrote:McCoy sucks


    I dont know why - but the "(insert name) sucks" posts have me gigling like a school girl.
    @ryanadamdavis
    User avatar
    pehawk
    * Report Button *
     
    Posts: 12259
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm


Re: Colt McCoy?
Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 am
  • 12thMan1 wrote:The last time the Hawks played Colt Mccoy he whooped us 6-3. He's quality backup material :D


    I was at that game. I'm sure most of you haven't watched a lot of Browns games, but that one was pretty indicative of how he normally played.

    He's San Fran's problem now. Assuming he wins that backup job, which I don't think is a given.
    Hiko
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am


Re: Colt McCoy?
Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:55 am
  • TheRealDTM wrote:Wasn't that a charlie whitehurst game? So it's proven he's a better backup then check down charlie, well worth a 7th round pick and 3mil. :sarcasm_off:


    :13:
    ______________________________

    Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

    Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    User avatar
    nwgamer
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 363
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:26 am
    Location: Cashmere, WA




It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online