Colt McCoy?

sjbravo

Reaction score
Hey all - first topic here. Good to be a part of your board.

So I've seen little mentions here and there about Colt McCoy coming here to replace Flynn should we trade him:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...d-trade-compensation-and-replacing-matt-flynn

Speculation on this article about getting him for a 7th round pick.

So what do you guys reckon? Would you be happy with McCoy? There's another thread on here about Vince Young - who would you rather see?

For my money, either of those guys are going to be a better deal than what's available in the draft. Who knows, maybe we've been scouting some of the less hyped QBs on the down low and seen something nice.

On McCoy - I'm not really sure he's been given the chances he deserves, and I reckon he could be a safe pair of hands. Pretty cheap too (took around 500k this year, scheduled to make 2.5 mil next year). Got a bit of an inexplicable soft spot for him myself. Maybe something to do with when he took that massive hit from James Harrison like an absolute champ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfFW-Yezv0k

Rainger

Reaction score
Hey Bravo welcome to posting but BR is the worst shit on the net for Sports. Would I take McCoy sure. I wont bother to go read the BR report however.

OP
OP
S

sjbravo

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ryvw7ebh said:
hmmmm.... a BR article for one of your first posts. not a great start.

I personally think McCoy would make a decent backup.

Ha, fair one guys - will stay away from the BR links from here on in (slap me down if you catch me)! I've been thinking it would be nice to get McCoy in for a couple of days now, so I had to get something to back me up - anything.

Anyway, here's another brief mention elsewhere - http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seaha...matt-flynn-traded-to-oakland/?syndication=rss

pehawk

Reaction score
McCoy gets a bum rap. I'm not sure what QB's (aside from our very own Russell Wilson) could've done much better in his circumstance.

"Hey, Colt, we're going to throw you out there with no offensive gameplan, no RB and no WR's. Oh, and you get to play the Ravens, LeBeau and Marvin Lewis 6 times a year. It's perfect to learn and grow...you'll do fine buddy. Go get 'em...and hookemhorns!"

McGruff

Reaction score
I lie, Young's skills better, but don't think he's fit to "play nice" as a long term backup. Colt is a better fit for our locker room, and I still think is good enough . . . But I was a big Colt McCoy fan during his draft year.

OP
OP
S

sjbravo

Reaction score
McGruff":10vc0i59 said:
I lie, Young's skills better, but don't think he's fit to "play nice" as a long term backup. Colt is a better fit for our locker room, and I still think is good enough . . . But I was a big Colt McCoy fan during his draft year.

Basically my thoughts. Young could potentially be a lot better than McCoy, but could also be more trouble than he's worth. He's been out of the game so could go either way.

drdiags

Reaction score
I like McCoy. He seems like a fair backup who has proven he can play at this level and has won a couple, so he has more than Whitehurst had going for him. I might try waiting until he is cut but if all it takes is a 7th rounder I could see making that trade.

OP
OP
S

sjbravo

Reaction score
ivotuk":3umqckvc said:
That was a really good BR article.

Oh man you guys have absolutely destroyed me over that link. Baptism of fire indeed.

That's me ruined. I'm just gonna be the Bleacher Report guy from here in on right? "Oh, that guy? He posts Bleacher Report links." "Ah man, don't trust what he says, he probably read it on Bleacher Report." "Hey, Bravo, what have Bleacher Report got to say on this matter?"

Just getting it all out so you guys don't have to! ;)

Axx

Reaction score
i would prefer a QB that has a similar skill set to wilson that could also run the read-option.

McGruff

Reaction score
sjbravo":srryqkk1 said:
ivotuk":srryqkk1 said:

Oh man you guys have absolutely destroyed me over that link. Baptism of fire indeed.

That's me ruined. I'm just gonna be the Bleacher Report guy from here in on right? "Oh, that guy? He posts Bleacher Report links." "Ah man, don't trust what he says, he probably read it on Bleacher Report." "Hey, Bravo, what have Bleacher Report got to say on this matter?"

Own it. Every post from you must have a link to bleacher report. Every post.

OP
OP
S

sjbravo

Reaction score
McGruff":1jdja2t6 said:
sjbravo":1jdja2t6 said:
ivotuk":1jdja2t6 said:

Own it. Every post from you must have a link to bleacher report. Every post.

Maybe I can get BR to sponsor my posts. Get myself a nice BR avatar - you know, really do things right.

Axx":1jdja2t6 said:
i would prefer a QB that has a similar skill set to wilson that could also run the read-option.

Sure - agreed. Who's out there though? Anyone with that skill set would be in pretty big demand right about know. There are similarities between RW and McCoy - not least their size. McCoy is reasonably mobile anyway - not saying he could run the read-option, but he's pretty athletic.

Hiko

Reaction score
Browns fan here - been lurking on and off for most of the last year, Seahawks have become my adopted NFC team (a necessity when your primary team is so bad for so long).

I've unfortunately seen every Colt McCoy game in the NFL, and I have to just tell you that the fans of a Super Bowl contending team should not want that guy as their main backup. He's skittish. He doesn't see the field well. His arm is really weak. He's prone to taking sacks/hits, which gets him injured a lot. I think a lot of fans of other teams haven't watched this guy play and just want him out of name recognition.

I know that it's easy to trash the Browns and state that "no one" could've done well there, but that's just excuse-making for McCoy. Cleveland has a good O Line and a decent D that keeps the O from having to play a lot of come-from-behind. They were in a lot of games the last 2 years, but the QB play killed them (though it was noticeably better under Weeden than Colt, it was still meh). I guarantee they win 4 or 5 more games each of the last 2 years if they had Russell Wilson (or a number of other upper-echelon QB's).

The "no one could win in Cleveland" excuse was also used on Brady Quinn and Tim Couch and Derek Anderson and Charlie Frye... turns out they just sucked. And that's the moral of the story - if a QB Black Hole like Cleveland throws a QB in the trash, then you don't want him.

As I said in another thread, you're better off going with Seneca Wallace - that's how much Buyer Beware goes with Colt. At the very least wait until he's cut (which he will be) and sign him to a vet min - he's due $2.35 million on his contract this year and there's no reason to go throwing away draft picks for a guy that is destined for waivers.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
He seems like a good locker room guy and is probably pretty cheap. I just don't think he is very good. It would take as much work to get him to be a decent backup as a rookie, he has not improved since he has been in the league. What I think we need in a QB:

Ability to run our offense with minimal style changes (mobile)
Does not male a lot of errors.
Decent in the red zone

I am almost thinking of a Doug Flutie CFL type QB...

Tical21

Reaction score
No thanks. Thigpen and Young are better players.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Why do folks seem so keen on spending almost all of the $3.25 million cap saving from trading Flynn to acquire back-ups who are probably a lot worse than him (e.g. McCoy, Thigpen)? I'd honestly prefer them to use that money elsewhere or roll it over and just grab a QB in the draft.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised McCoy ever got a shot in the league, really. Looked like he had a 6th round skill set at Texas. Yes, he was a capable college quarterback. But he also had some horrendous games. I remember watching him against Oklahoma in 2009 where his limitations stuck out like a sore thumb. I was petrified that Ruskell would draft him and hearing a freshly fired Jim Mora singing his praises at the combine on the NFL Network made me even more grateful for the moves we made before that 2010 draft.

Round three was a major reach. What on earth was Holmgren thinking? Even as a backup I wouldn't be interested. I suspect once his Cleveland career ends that'll be it for this guy unfortunately.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm higher on McCoy as a backup than any other (possible) free agent QB out there (don't know much about thigpen, though).

I was a fan of his coming out of college. He doesn't have the physical tools to be a solid NFL starter, but he's got the mental and competitive mindset that I think would serve him well as a backup.

OP
OP
S

sjbravo

Reaction score
As far as I see, there are three names being thrown about for the most part. Young, McCoy and Thigpen. Young is most probably the best but comes with baggage. As I've said, I quite like McCoy - plus I think he's a safer bet than Young character wise.

Thigpen really doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't mean a great deal because of course it depends on the team around him - but Thigpen has played 12 NFL games and lost 11. Not a fantastic record. McCoy is 6-15.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Some of you need to seriously reset your criteria here. You're applying starter-type qualifiers to backup-type evaluations. If you're waiting for the Seahawks go out on the street and pick up a QB with a cannon arm, who runs like Russell Wilson, has a winning NFL pedigree, and is looking for a job as a backup, you're going to be waiting a long time. Colt McCoy would be an ideal #2 QB here. You don't need an Elway-type arm to execute this offense. McCoy has nearly every attribute you would look for in a capable backup QB for this system. He has very good accuracy in the short/intermediate zones, he throws extremely well when rolling out (which the Seahawks do a lot of), particularly to his right, he's mobile, he's a tough runner, he has a solid football IQ, he's been in a system with WCO principles, he's an outstanding teammate and locker room guy, he's only 26, and the fact that he left as the all-time leader in wins by a QB in FBS history shows that leading his team to victory when called upon is not a foreign concept to McCoy. All his time in Cleveland proved is that he's probably not going to set the world on fire if you ask him to be a starter on an untalented team with two completely different coaching staffs during his 1.5 years as a starter - with a league-wide lockout right in the middle of it all. None of that would apply here. McCoy showed some nice promise as a rookie, including wins over the Saints (defending SB champs, on the road) and Patriots in his 2nd and 3rd career starts (64 combined points), against a brutal schedule. Then the Browns dumped their coaching staff, the lockout ensued, after which McCoy had all of about a month to completely learn new HC Pat Shurmer's offense before the start of the season, with rookie Greg Little as his top WR, and a debilitated Peyton Hillis as his top RB. Nobody could have succeeded under those circumstances. Nobody.

The Seahawks should be so lucky to get a guy like McCoy to back up Russell Wilson, never mind potentially getting him for free.

Latest posts