Palmer out in Oakland, Flynn in?

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Saw sando bring it up briefly on his blog. Raiders have always made a ton of sense as a landing spot for Flynn, even with Palmer on the roster. Seems more logical than ever with Palmer about to be released.

However, It is probably more likely that they just draft a replacement, but never know, it's the raiders. Thought I would throw it out there (wishful thinking).

The Outfield

Reaction score
Isn't the draft pretty weak at quarterback, though? Seems like a lot of teams still need a quarterback.

sutz

Reaction score
IAE, I don't see Flynn's status changing before the draft. They may be able to parlay him into an extra pick or two, or we still might be able to trade him after the draft to a team that missed there. It's a bit of a seller's market for Flynn right now, so I don't see the FO really doing much more than sitting back and fielding offers.

They may not move him at all. Or some team might make an offer they can't refuse tomorrow.

:229031_shrug:

mikeak

Reaction score
We should trade him straight up for Pryor. Gives us a backup qb that can play in our system if we have to use him. Gets the money off the books. Allows Oakland to draft a new qb while having someone serviceable.

Arizona just met with Glennon. How do you not take Flynn over Glennon and keep your draft pick?

kearly

Reaction score
While I could argue that Flynn makes perfect sense for a team with Oakland's philosophy, the sad truth is that they are so far away from being a decent franchise that given Flynn's age he'd be just a stopgap option, kind of like 2008-2012 Matt Hasselbeck. By the time that team has any chance to contend Flynn would probably be well over 30.

Now, I'd argue that there is some value in trying to "win now" if you have a good front office. PC led off with two 7-9 seasons and he built a great team (although he was aided by two high firsts in 2010). Maybe Oakland wants to build a culture of winning and shoot for 5 to 8 wins in the near future instead of resigning themselves to 2-14 seasons. That said, Pete was pretty unique in choosing that approach and Oakland's actions seem to indicate that they wish to take the "blow up the ship" approach.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
kearly":qqebhax3 said:
While I could argue that Flynn makes perfect sense for a team with Oakland's philosophy, the sad truth is that they are so far away from being a decent franchise that given Flynn's age he'd be just a stopgap option, kind of like 2008-2012 Matt Hasselbeck. By the time that team has any chance to contend Flynn would probably be well over 30.

Now, I'd argue that there is some value in trying to "win now" if you have a good front office. PC led off with two 7-9 seasons and he built a great team (although he was aided by two high firsts in 2010). Maybe Oakland wants to build a culture of winning and shoot for 5 to 8 wins in the near future instead of resigning themselves to 2-14 seasons. That said, Pete was pretty unique in choosing that approach and Oakland's actions seem to indicate that they wish to take the "blow up the ship" approach.

Winning now saves a coaches job. Who has the luxury to wait on a prospect these days? Strike gold now or get fired, seems to be the way. I don't think they will resign themselves to a 2-14 season. I would think a team would be willing to part with a late round pick for a 2008 MH equivalent (considering they are willing to pay a 2013 MH 5mm to ride the bench). If Flynn is on par with that, and fits their philosophy moving forward, seems like a no brainer.

Get younger, better and cheaper at the position, NOW, for a late round pick.

12thMan1

Reaction score
Unless something happens on draft day, Flynn is staying put.

Erebus

Reaction score
I could see something happening between the 1st and 2nd rounds. There maybe some teams hoping to draft a QB in the first round, and they might miss out on their guy. Then they have a day to work out a trade for Flynn if he's their next best option.

pehawk

Reaction score
Love the Pryor idea.

I'm kinda scared seeing Carson in Arizona. Not that they'll threaten the division, but it'd make the games in Arizona questionable.

Jville

Reaction score
I like what Reggie McKenzie is doing with the Oakland roster. He's unloading oversized contracts before roster bonuses come due and before the June 1st date. In 2013, he will bring an end to their cap hell and position them for the flat cap. In the process, McKenzie will see his Raider roster become one of the more attractive NFL destination for over looked free agents as we approach the draft.

Pryor isn't going any where.

Flynn is a possible trade acquisition ..... given that picks can be replaced thru the attractiveness of the Raider roster to agents of players with free agent status.

Uffda

Reaction score
Would be great to see Flynn start somewhere.

It's an Afc team so safe to root for them then.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
pehawk":kwtphiox said:
Love the Pryor idea.

I'm kinda scared seeing Carson in Arizona. Not that they'll threaten the division, but it'd make the games in Arizona questionable.

I believe I read he leads the NFL in pick-sixes the last few years. If anything he should make our wins even more exciting.

pehawk

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":w2b5n2my said:
pehawk":w2b5n2my said:
Love the Pryor idea.

I believe I read he leads the NFL in pick-sixes the last few years. If anything he should make our wins even more exciting.

Maybe, but with thats on the Raiders, so we realistically cant judge. I dont think he's good or anything, but he can still throw long jump-balls.

sjbravo

Reaction score
Ah man. I know you guys seem doubtful that he's gonna go - but I got a funny feeling it's going to happen with Oakland. Palmer isn't going to take the pay cut - they'll probably end up releasing him (for some reason I can't see him in Arizona either).

Doubt we'll get much for Flynn at all, but will be glad to see him go - mainly for his sake. Guy deserves to have a chance as a starter.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Pretty hilarious that Oakland picked J-bust #1 overall, and now trade to acquire his college backup to play the position a few years later. Hope that Flynn works out for them, I don't like the Raiders but damn it's been a brutal decade for that team.

NYCoug

Reaction score
12th_Bob":z7zsg0kf said:
Pretty hilarious that Oakland picked J-bust #1 overall, and now trade to acquire his college backup to play the position a few years later. Hope that Flynn works out for them, I don't like the Raiders but damn it's been a brutal decade for that team.

I believe it's called "karma." Especially when you contrast the playing styles in Jamarcus and Flynn. Jamarcus was your typical Raiders first round pick. Huge arm, amazing upside, but nothing between the ears. Flynn's pretty much the opposite of that. Average-ish arm (although his arm was way better than I thought it would be, so I'd bump him up to above average), above average upside depending on who you listen to, and a pretty smart signal caller. Maybe this shift in philosophy will signify a change in the Raiders misfortunes...

April Fools

KK84

Reaction score
pehawk":sg7brrtk said:
Love the Pryor idea.

If Arizona's oline was better, Palmer to fitz might concern me a bit. As it is now though, Carson's gonna be flat on his back all game.