Will HAbaugh force Manningham back onto the field to early?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
After the way Manningham tore his knee last year you would normally expect him on the pup list for a while until he is back close enough to full speed to not re-injure himself but with how he handled Sherman in college when he was injured and seeing Justin Smith returned when it looked like he possibly should have been done for the year, I get the feeling he will push Manningham also.

I will be monitoring this very closely as I fully expect Harbaugh to push Manningham back as early as possible and it might even be why he is promoting Lockette recently. Trying to start lighting that fire and send questions of doubt into Mannigham's head.

Right now the Niners are hurting at WR if Manningham can't go only having Crabtree and VD returning as guys that have caught passes from Keap.

I predict an early return for Manningham. Hopefully he doesn't ruin his career by doing so. Not that I think Harbaugh would care.

BBHawks

Reaction score
You know, nobody likes Jim Harbaugh around here, but let's not pretend he's evil. That's just silly.

heyu123

Reaction score
Lol Justin smith came back because he was cleared to play without making his arm worse. And he wanted a Superbowl.

Hows that harbaughs fault? Manningham will return when he is cleared.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BBHawks":1hxreksn said:
You know, nobody likes Jim Harbaugh around here, but let's not pretend he's evil. That's just silly.

Not saying he is evil but I think the man is selfish and more concerned about his reputation than his players health or safety. I'm not making this up. If your not familiar with Sherman's story you should look it up.

Look at how he handled Alex Smith when he got injured. The man shows a lack of loyalty and concern for his players that I haven't seen from other coach's.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If I was Harbs I would have looked for a good reason to bench Smith in favor of CK too. I don't think he will push Manningham into anything he isn't ready for and the fact is, they can live without MM anyways. Crabtree is as solid as they get now and Boldin will be able to play too.

He wants MM to be the guy he was in NYG, he isn't going to risk him.

But he is still a douche. :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Manningham is only a post script anyway. He is a small piece of that offense, I would say the point totals suggest they didn't miss him much.
Harbaugh is no better or worse than Pete for having players play hurt.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
I guess the same question could be asked in regards to PC playing Bennett too early.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
All speculation aside, R & h.. Your close monitoring of this situation will surely yield the answers you seek in due time.

kag0331

Reaction score
RichNhansom":lm4fn7xt said:
BBHawks":lm4fn7xt said:

Not saying he is evil but I think the man is selfish and more concerned about his reputation than his players health or safety. I'm not making this up. If your not familiar with Sherman's story you should look it up.

Look at how he handled Alex Smith when he got injured. The man shows a lack of loyalty and concern for his players that I haven't seen from other coach's.

harbs and i would hope Pete for your sake is only loyal to winning this is the NFL not Pop Warner... win or get fired thats what these coaches get for loyalty...

Goldrush

Reaction score
Lol more wishful thinking from certain Seahawks fans.

Niners are in WR trouble?? Lol they might have a top 5 core from top to bottom. The idea that harbaugh puts his players at risk is just more of the nonsensical thinking that happens here everytime he's mentioned.

(Waits for the obligatory "get off my board" responses) lol

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Goldrush":vmvj1tcu said:

Niners are in WR trouble?? Lol they might have a top 5 core from top to bottom. The idea that harbaugh puts his players at risk is just more of the nonsensical thinking that happens here everytime he's mentioned.

Top 5 corps, you dullard.

hawker84

Reaction score
Goldrush":1j2oilcg said:

where i agree with your take on Harb's rushing his return... to say you have a top 5 recieving core is a bit much.. you have a solid recieving core with a top TE and two good possesion guys.. but let's be honest ... other than your TE, your recievers are scaring nobody with a solid secondary.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wouldn't even say solid. They have a very good receiver in Crabtree and a very good TE in VD but that's as far as it goes right now. Manningham is nothing more than a huge question mark and Keap still needs to show he is capable of even getting the ball to Boldin. Boldin is not a receiver who gets open, he requires the QB put the ball where he can fight for it. Look what happened to BMW when Hasselbeck left. Jackson had no clue how to throw him the ball because he always looked covered. They also currently have no real backup TE to speak of. What they do have is huge questions.

Next on that top 5 corps is AJ Jenkins. Yup that is some solid depth right there. Going into a season with only two guys that have caught passes before is not an example of a solid WR corp it is closer to the opposite.

And no having 14 draft picks doesn't automatically make your corps any better. Last year your first round pick is a perfect example.

12thMan1

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2t8obszs said:
I guess the same question could be asked in regards to PC playing Bennett too early.

Bennett chose to play with his injury last year and was still productive. If Manningham can produce with his injury, more power to him.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
There is a story floating around (posted on here before) about Harbaugh wanting Sherman to play through his injury and Sherman decided to opt for surgery rather than risk further or possibly permanent damage. When Sherman returned healthy he was bumped to the bottom of the depth chart even though as a WR he was the leading receiver from the first day he stepped on the field to the time he got injured. It is why Sherman went to defense because he knew that Harbaugh was purposely screwing him.

Alex Smith got his team nearly to the super bowl and was currently one of the highest rated QB's in the league when he was hurt and Harbaugh showed zero loyalty to him making him the back up and later trading him.

You could say they could ask the same question about Carroll and Bennett but it would be without presedence. Not a good comparison unless you can provide some kind of examples that I don't know about.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RichNhansom":t30tu1n4 said:
There is a story floating around (posted on here before) about Harbaugh wanting Sherman to play through his injury and Sherman decided to opt for surgery rather than risk further or possibly permanent damage. When Sherman returned healthy he was bumped to the bottom of the depth chart even though as a WR he was the leading receiver from the first day he stepped on the field to the time he got injured. It is why Sherman went to defense because he knew that Harbaugh was purposely screwing him.

Alex Smith got his team nearly to the super bowl and was currently one of the highest rated QB's in the league when he was hurt and Harbaugh showed zero loyalty to him making him the back up and later trading him.

You could say they could ask the same question about Carroll and Bennett but it would be without presedence. Not a good comparison unless you can provide some kind of examples that I don't know about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364 ... cornerback

Moving Sherman to the bottom of the depth chart could also be taken as Harbaugh not trying to force Sherman onto the field to early.

I have seen the posts your referring to on here, but can't find anything to support them. Only thing I could find after a quick search was a bleacher report (which don't carry very much credibility I know) that stated the only version to the story that I have ever heard that the switch was Sherman's idea, probably in an attempt to gain higher visibility to NFL scouts.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
He was the leading receiver his freshman and softmore years. He wasn't going to get more visibility than remaining the leader through his college career and no reason to think he wouldn't. I think you are trying to hard to ignore what happened.

You can cover your eyes but that doesn't make it dark outside.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3a1eh73a said:
He was the leading receiver his freshman and softmore years. He wasn't going to get more visibility than remaining the leader through his college career and no reason to think he wouldn't. I think you are trying to hard to ignore what happened.

You can cover your eyes but that doesn't make it dark outside.

I should have clarified. I meant in order to receive more visibility than what he would receive from being #3 on the WR depth chart.

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Well your right about more visibility than #3 but he was wasn't even #3, he was dropped all the way to the bottom of the depth chart behind even the walk ons.

He wasn't there for health reason either. He was injured his junior year but redshirted that year and came back as a junior and was never moved back up. It was the off season before his senior year that he requested to switch to defense. A full season plus removed from injury. Harbaugh was even quoted saying he didn't think Sherman could make the change to defense.

If that's not enough Harbaugj/Balke selected Culliver 80 spots before Sherman was taken in the 5th.

I recommend reading Hawkblogger's write up on it. He breaks it down much better.

Shinigami

Reaction score
Rich if you're going to say that Harbaugh is a selfish jerk Partly because he showed little loyalty to Smith when a QB came along that played better than him then I'm glad you're not a coach for the Seahawks lol. By your logic Carrol never should have started Wilson because Seattle traded for a player who probably believed he was going to be a starter here hence by the size of his contract and that the Seahawks were drafting a QB in the 3rd round who no one thought would start. Where was Pete's loyalty to an older more proven player?