Glenn Dorsey, can he play the 3-Tech in our 4-3 and succeed?

ivotuk

Reaction score
When he was coming out people were comparing him to Warren Sapp and his college game indicated he would be well worth the 5th overall pick that Kansas City spent on him. Can Quinn resurect his career? Or will his knees and back shorten his career? Glenn has averaged 59 tackles and .98 sacks per year which is enough to barely outperform Tyson Jackson. But in comparison Dwight Freeney dropped to 12 tackles and 5 sacks when he was switched to the 3 - 4, so there is a chance the Dorsey could excel in the 4 - 3.

Early on I think it was Scottemojo that was in favor of Dorsey to the Hawks and at the time I was dead set against it. But the more I look in to it, the more it looks like he could do very well in the 4 - 3. I think at the very least he could be what John Schneider likes to call "a good, steady performer."

This is from the NFL's site:

"The most decorated player in the history of the school, Dorsey continued a recent tradition of Tigers defensive linemen earning first-team All-American honors, as at least one LSU player has received that honor since the 2000 season. The defensive tackle's mantelpiece was certainly filled to capacity after the 2007 season, as the consensus All-American and Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year earned several prestigious awards.
Despite constant double- and triple-team coverage, along with late season knee and back problems, Dorsey continued to dominate. He extended his string of at least one tackle made in his last 30 games, and walked away with the 2007 Nagurski Award, Lombardi Award, Outland Trophy and Lott Award, becoming the first player in school history to earn any of those postseason honors."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/glenn-dorsey?id=218

This is from Walterfootball in 2008

After seeing Glenn Dorsey work out for a chance, the perception has changed a bit in Dorsey's favor. He'll likely be chosen in the top five, but he's not a top-two candidate like he was prior to the combine.

Dorsey did not work out. In fact, he was rushed to the hospital so doctors could perform tests on his knees. This isn't anything new. This didn't just happen. Dorsey has had knee problems the past two years. I know he managed to play through the pain, but who's to say his knees won't get any worse? If you're a team in the top five, and you're thinking about taking Dorsey, and two or three other prospects, the former's knees will probably be the tie-breaker. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dorsey dropped all the way down to No. 9

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008DT.php

kearly

Reaction score
Man, remember when Sedrick Ellis and Glen Dorsey were hyped to the moon? A lot of people acted as if they should have gone 1-2 in that draft.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Glenn Dorsey is a slight notch above Branch. I watched about 6 of his games and he is miscast ina 3-4, that is for sure. As a two gapper, he is good at grabbing two guys and little else. As a one gapper, he is a lower half power dude, more push than qick for collapsing the pocket.
I look back at the draft he was in and it illustrates two things: Never trivialize knee issues with DL, and always mistrust initial impressions when a guy is playing on a very talented defensive line. Dorsey got a cheap shot injury his final college season, and it was way more serious than he and his agent let on.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1kok3bhg said:
Glenn Dorsey is a slight notch above Branch. I watched about 6 of his games and he is miscast ina 3-4, that is for sure. As a two gapper, he is good at grabbing two guys and little else. As a one gapper, he is a lower half power dude, more push than qick for collapsing the pocket.
I look back at the draft he was in and it illustrates two things: Never trivialize knee issues with DL, and always mistrust initial impressions when a guy is playing on a very talented defensive line. Dorsey got a cheap shot injury his final college season, and it was way more serious than he and his agent let on.

Man that's too bad. He seems like a nice kid, but at least he got paid. I'm still recovering from the disappointment of Marcus Tubbs and all the promise he had. I think we could have made another Super Bowl run if he could have stayed healthy. His run stopping was second to none.